Type keyword(s) to search

The Gray Man (2022)

AngieBee1
  • Start Topic

Adapted from the 2009 novel of the same name by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely (Captain America films, Avengers Infinity War & Endgame) and directed by the Russo Brothers, THE GRAY MAN is a more than servicaeble action film. But with Ryan Gosling, Chris Evans and Ana de Armas leading the film I would have expected it to be more than serviceable. The plotting is predictable, the action is good but not great and yet and still I can't hate it the way so many critics do.

Ryan Gosling is superb in all that he does and while it was wonderful that he took time out to be a dad, I'm glad he's doing films again. Evans, to me, is at his best playing smarmy and/or wise a** characters so I'm glad now he's free of Captain America he's back to playing those roles.

• Love 1

I thought it was fun, even if the action sequences were a little over the top (but, let's be honest-most action films these days seem to be about trying to one up each other with the action sequences).  I wasn't familiar with Chris Evans' work before he played Captain America and the first movie I saw after that was Gifted, so I really like the kind Chris, but, it also was fun watching him as the a**hole.  He plays a good villain. I didn't know Ana De Armas before Knives Out, but I've started really liking her, as well.  I've always liked Ryan Gosling and he was great in this, as expected.  Overall, it was a fun way to waste a couple of hours and it was definitely better than Extraction.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Also enjoyed A-hole Chris Evans, he looked like he was having fun. 

Obviously the action scenes were very over the top but the one thing that made me roll my eyes was right after the whole fight/shootout on the tram, where Ryan Gosling ran down the tram to jump onto the car driven by Ana de Armas, he wasn't even out of breath.

The hospital fight scene was pretty good. 

• Love 1

It was too hot to do anything other than lie on the couch and watch Netflix this weekend, and so I watched this.  It was fine, but there felt like a disconnect between the script and the final product. The script is studded with jokes and the actors committed, but the movie failed to allow any of the jokes to land.  It would have been a better movie if the Russos would commit to either a serious spy movie or a dark comedy instead of attempting to split the difference.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 7/23/2022 at 11:11 AM, Shannon L. said:

I wasn't familiar with Chris Evans' work before he played Captain America and the first movie I saw after that was Gifted, so I really like the kind Chris, but, it also was fun watching him as the a**hole.  

Give Losers a try he's not a villain, he's more of a fun/snarky character. 

Captain America was a nice change to his previous super hero/comics roles (Losers, Fantastic Four, Push).

• Useful 1

We watched this last night. It was entertaining enough, but not great. I was disappointed that we went through all of that drama only for the information on the encrypted drive to not be exposed and the “old man” behind all of this not being revealed. I know it ended this way to set up a sequel, but still disappointing. Also what happened to Lone Wolf? Did he vanish into thin air after realizing Lloyd and his crew were unethical? Don’t understand why he’d think they’d be “good” people in the first place considering how many cops and innocents I’m sure he saw them hurt and kill in Prague. Chris Evans seemed to have fun playing Lloyd, but that character was way over the top and out of control. No matter what the “shadow” government needed to reclaim. It made no sense that Carmichael would use him to retrieve the disk considering his less than discreet antics. 

• Love 1

I watched on the plane on my tablet. I thought the pacemaker was clever. 

The entire tram sequence was fantastic. 

I do agree they could have brought more snark.

It kind of reminded me of the first Bourne with the closed quarters fighting. 

I liked it and would watch more. 

Did anyone watch the credits with the action figures? 

7 hours ago, Enero said:

We watched this last night. It was entertaining enough, but not great. I was disappointed that we went through all of that drama only for the information on the encrypted drive to not be exposed and the “old man” behind all of this not being revealed. I know it ended this way to set up a sequel, but still disappointing. Also what happened to Lone Wolf? Did he vanish into thin air after realizing Lloyd and his crew were unethical? Don’t understand why he’d think they’d be “good” people in the first place considering how many cops and innocents I’m sure he saw them hurt and kill in Prague. Chris Evans seemed to have fun playing Lloyd, but that character was way over the top and out of control. No matter what the “shadow” government needed to reclaim. It made no sense that Carmichael would use him to retrieve the disk considering his less than discreet antics. 

I think it was more a matter of honor for the Lone Wolf, where the cops choose to expose themselves to danger and family members are off limits in their games. And then the he is probably s the second in line for a spinoff after the Gray Woman

Had nothing else to watch so caught this on Netflix. I enjoyed it for a mindless action movie on Saturday night with a cheesesteak and wine. I'm not a Ryan Gosling fan (don't dislike him, just not a fan), but I thought he did his best with the rip-off Jason Bourne material he was given. Disappointing that so many loose threads are out there for the obvious sequel. Not totally convinced Lloyd is dead. The ending seemed to go on a bit too long, like just end it already. No need to watch again.