Type keyword(s) to search

Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris (2022)

• Start Topic

Just to add...I just looked at the reviews on Metacritic and was shocked to see that Rex Reed's review was scored as a 100, because he and I are reliably on completely opposite ends of the movie-rating scale.  It actually kind of scared me enough to think, "Rex Reed loved it?  Did I get this that wrong??"

I don't recommend reading his review in deciding whether to see the movie because it's spoiler-y, but I'll put this part out there:

Versatile and fearless, I applauded her Oscar-nominated turn as the villainous sister of Daniel Day Lewis who poisoned him with mushrooms in The Phantom Thread...

First of all, I like Rex calling himself "versatile and fearless."  Grammar matters, y'all.  But even I know it wasn't the villainous sister who did the poisoning in The Phantom Thread, and I'm terrible at remembering plots.  What a hack.  But he got this right:

Nothing wrong with a movie in today’s troubled winter of discontent that exists solely for the purpose of creating joy and good will, and Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris spreads them around like butter.

But the movie isn't all sunshine and roses (although that flower market scene made me swoon almost as much as the Dior showing); there were two unexpectedly heart-breaking moments for me, such that I was thinking, "The movie better not end like this."  And it does indeed have a happy ending.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I saw this today and the theater was completely full (yes, it was a smaller theater but still…).  Absolutely loved it.  The acting, the ensemble, the settings, and the messages were just wonderful.  Highly recommend and I will happily see it again.  Like StatisticalOutlier said above, it is sweet in moments and others that break your heart a bit — it is not saccharine IMO.  The inside wink by Lesley Manville about Princess Margaret was fun as she’s playing the Princess in The Crown upcoming season.  

• Like 3

You know how that young client of Mrs. Harris's came over distraught because her dress was ruined and she needed something to wear to the big event?  Something occurred to me:  She told Mrs. Harris she always gets her out of jams, but in a general "you fix everything" sort of way.  But did she know Mrs. Harris had bought a Dior dress?   In retrospect, it seems a little fishy that the client had two dresses, and one was ruined (I can't remember how) and the other was at the cleaners.

Or is this one of those "Duh" moments that seem to get past me all too frequently.  😀

• Love 1
15 hours ago, answerphone said:

Who was placed the the police wagon during the last scenes in Paris?

I'm notoriously bad at plot points, but I remember that it was the trash magnate, against whom the workers were striking.  The police wagon scene was part of the depiction of his downfall, including his inability to pay for the dress that his mean wife chose just because it was the one Mrs. Harris wanted and insisting on exclusivity.  The nonpayment prompted Dior to either repossess it from or not provide it to the mean lady, which made it available to someone else.

• Useful 1

I've been looking forward to seeing this and finally did yesterday.  I think it's a lovely movie and enjoyed it.  Love the Dior dresses and Mrs. Harris had quite a nice wardrobe in Paris.  And Paris is beautiful even if the sidewalks are full of garbage.

But I will say I like the Angela Lansbury version better (It's called Mrs. 'Arris goes to Paris and is on youtube).   Maybe because Omar Shariff seemed a better Count (or whatever the guys title was).  The ending is different from the new movie but I do like the newer ending better.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 7/29/2022 at 3:18 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

You know how that young client of Mrs. Harris's came over distraught because her dress was ruined and she needed something to wear to the big event?  Something occurred to me:  She told Mrs. Harris she always gets her out of jams, but in a general "you fix everything" sort of way.  But did she know Mrs. Harris had bought a Dior dress?   In retrospect, it seems a little fishy that the client had two dresses, and one was ruined (I can't remember how) and the other was at the cleaners.

She did not know Mrs. Harris had the Dior gown.  She brought her dress to Mrs. Harris because she thought Mrs. Harris might be able to fix her dress before her event, but it was too far gone.  Mrs. Harris was just being nice in letting her young client wear the dress. 

I enjoyed the movie.  It had some nice twists, and kept me interested.        

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Mrs. Harris’ gown couture gown would have needed a LOT of adjusting to fit the fuller figured young starlet. They were nowhere near the same size and more material would be needed to take it out that much.

That was just one of several things I had to suspend disbelief on.  One thing I did appreciate was that they said her suitcase was empty, and she took it just to have something to carry the dress back home in.  It bugs me when people carry a full suitcase like it doesn't weigh anything.

• Love 1

This was a charming little film.  I'm only familiar with a handful of the cast, but the actors all did a great job (including the one with the utterly thankless task of playing Vi).

I did not want any sort of romance between Ada and the Marquis, but her face when she realized she'd read his interest in her all wrong was heartbreaking all the same.  I quite liked her and Archie; they bantered nicely.  I know he didn't exist in the book, and I normally loathe when films add romantic storylines because heaven forbid a movie about a woman not include one, but I like this one because of their ages.  In the book, she just gets the young couple together.  In this, she has her own admirer.

I'm also glad she got a better ending in this than she did in the book.  Sure, it's pure fantasy, her being given the dress she originally wanted (and that nasty woman having all her assets seized), but it fits perfectly with the film.  And that dress was gorgeous.  I didn't even like her second choice (but I did like the one she admired in the snooty client's wardrobe, and kept wanting to see that on someone).  I'm not overly into fashion, but I liked the sister's wardrobe she borrowed.

I loved the Dior gatekeeper as an adversary (and LOL at her telling the guard to arrest Ada, and him replying "I'm a communist -- I'm on her side"), but also adored the "we're two peas in a pod" scene between them.

This is a sweet (but not saccharine) feel-good film largely populated by women, and I'm glad I watched.

• Like 7

I finally got a chance to see this (it's available via Amazon Prime) and I agree, this was a delightful film.  This was a great cast, from the leads to the people who were in only one scene.  Poor Anna Chancellor - does she ever get to play a nice person?  And Isabelle Huppert is so beautiful.  How do French women manage what seems like effortless grace and elegance?  And she's allowing herself to show her age, not mangled her face with fillers, etc.  

It did make me feel old, since I find myself channeling my mother and saying "Why don't they make more nice films like this?"  I'm less inclined each passing day to watch most of the movies made now.  If I want despair, death, and violence, I'll watch the news for coverage of the daily mass shooting.  

• Applause 4
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I finally got a chance to see this (it's available via Amazon Prime) and I agree, this was a delightful film.  This was a great cast, from the leads to the people who were in only one scene.  Poor Anna Chancellor - does she ever get to play a nice person?  And Isabelle Huppert is so beautiful.  How do French women manage what seems like effortless grace and elegance?  And she's allowing herself to show her age, not mangled her face with fillers, etc.  

It did make me feel old, since I find myself channeling my mother and saying "Why don't they make more nice films like this?"  I'm less inclined each passing day to watch most of the movies made now.  If I want despair, death, and violence, I'll watch the news for coverage of the daily mass shooting.  

I'm right there with you. I'm not the youngest but don't consider myself truly old yet (older millennial). I'll watch the news if I want tragedy. Give me fun escapism when I go to the movies please. I literally got rid of my A List subscription because there simply weren't enough movies that had me leaving the theatre feeling happy. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Like 3