Type keyword(s) to search

The Honorable Judge ______ Stone Presiding: Original vs Reboot Comparisons

• Start Topic

In case anyone else decides to go back and sample some episodes from the original run on Freevee - the last episode (S9E22) was apparently aired out of order for some reason - and remains out of order on the Freevee lineup.  If you want to see the 2-part series finale, it's S9E20 and 21.

I like having the tv on during the day while I work from home.   Right now I decided to watch the original Nightcourt on Freevee and I am actually on season 2 right now which is when the show started to find its stride.  Despite what people like to think it wasn't an instant hit from day one.  Maybe its just me and it could be since I am not a huge comedy/sitcom person.  You can count on one hand the sitcoms I do like and consider really good shows  and Nightcourt was always one of them.    I do like Billie Young and am going to miss her when she gets recast even though Christine becomes the character that sticks.  Billie Young was a fun character.   

• Like 1

Hubby and I watched the Pilot last night.  It's got quite potential, esp Leon and of course Dan.  But Dan as the Public Defender ought to be good.

However, we remarked how sad it is that only Larroquet and Marsha are still around.  Harry, Markie, Selma, Charlie, Richard are all gone.

I'd live to see Roz stop by.

ETA:  Sorry, Richard Moll is still alive.  It'd be nice to see Bull again, too.

Edited by roamyn
  • Like 4

In the media thread, someone posted a tweet from Marsha highlighting a review that said the show needed Roz back. I'd welcome her back, as Roz could be a great audience surrogate to connect the two generations of activity in the more passive way the bailiffs always had of observing the activities. That said, I'd also welcome her in an updated role--she'd be retirement age and eligible for a pension, so why would she still be in the court? (Posed as a question for the writers...I can create any number of suggestions why she is or isn't, but I want more than her just rolling in like it's any other Tuesday. Unless we play that for laughs and everyone continues like she's just been on her break.) 

I think the biggest thing for me yet, and it is too early to really see it, is the intangible "heart." It's not just the characters caring about each other, which needs to develop over time, but the "heart" the creators and writers imbued into the show. Laroquette oozes authenticity in any role and I can get widower Dan rebuilding himself. But the rest of them are sort of blank slates. I'm willing to let them be anything--let this new clerk hate his job and be in it for the benefits; let this ADA be overqualified for night courts and acting out, whatever they want--I just need something to develop where they have layers. 

• Like 1

I feel like Abby is less of a blank slate now that we know her struggles with alcohol and regrets over losing time with her father. But I see what you mean, I hope gradually they will flesh out the rest of the cast this way as well. 

• Like 2
On 1/19/2023 at 10:19 AM, Chaos Theory said:

Despite what people like to think it wasn't an instant hit from day one.  Maybe it’s just me and it could be since I am not a huge comedy/sitcom person.  

No, it’s not just you; back in the day, the original Night Court was barely able to claw its way to renewal for a second season - hence the rotating door of public defenders until they settled on Markie Post.  It took a while for NC to build its following, but once it did that following was solid.

On 1/30/2023 at 9:28 AM, AncientNewbie said:

In the media thread, someone posted a tweet from Marsha highlighting a review that said the show needed Roz back. I'd welcome her back, as Roz could be a great audience surrogate to connect the two generations of activity in the more passive way the bailiffs always had of observing the activities. That said, I'd also welcome her in an updated role--she'd be retirement age and eligible for a pension, so why would she still be in the court? 

Roz as a fixed-income pensioner arrested for squatting in defiance of a greedy landlord’s illegal eviction order?  Too bad they didn’t think of this before the judge found her new apartment; they could’ve tied together two storylines very neatly.  😆

• Like 1

I actually like Dan as the PD, because he clearly doesn't believe in the role, but he's too professional (Dan?!?!) to blow it off completely, especially when it's a favor to departed Harry. 

In the most recent ep thread, I digressed a bit about the motivations. That's what I feel is lacking so far. The original was driven, in part, by what each of the characters wanted...true justice, to climb the ladder, sweaters, etc. It helped define how each of these people acted in the court and shaped their reactions to the nonsense around them. It's still early so I don't want to paint with a broad brush, but so far it feels like we don't have real people as much as cliches. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I kind of referenced this in another thread, but I think what the show has to deal with at some point is mentioning Christine.  Also Roz (especially if they can bring Marsha Warfield back), and Bull, and Mac, maybe even Buddy.  But with all the incessant references to Harry's idealism, I can't help thinking of Christine, who was certainly the most idealistic person on the show, and someone Harry and Dan both felt strongly about.   I also think there is a little of a Christine inspired characterization in Abby who always wants to do the right thing.  I do understand why they haven't gone there yet, it's sad that Markie Post has gone so soon.   It's kind of like it was on the Law and Order shows when Lennie's death wasn't even implied for a year or so.  I do think though that if the show runs for a while they may want to consider at least referring to Christine, the character doesn't have to be deceased but it seems weird to me not to hear about her at all.

• Like 1

They can reference Mac and Christine by having their kids appear.  

It really sucks that half the cast is gone.  I think if Markie Post hadn’t passed Christine would be Abby’s mom.  

It’s hard to imagine that Roz won’t make an appearance next season.  

• Like 2

I discovered that Catchy Comedy (formerly Deacades) plays the original at 9 and 9:30 PM.

"The Former Harry Stone". Lana learns Harry has a criminal record when she tries to find out his age to settle a bet.

Wow, the actors look so young! I guess Harry was originally a man of mystery because they had a betting pool on how old he is (Harry had the winning bet) and he had secret criminal past that the sleazy report (hey, it's dead Bernie!) wanted to expose. I was surprised to see the show wasn't as funny as I remembered, at least at this point.

"Welcome Back, Momma". A woman who claims to be Harry's long-lost mother and a beauty pageant operator appear before the court.

It turns out the woman was just lonely because her real son (hey, it's Peter Jurassic!) wasn't paying enough attention to her, although I was skeptical about her being able to research Harry's past. I noticed they already had established Dan's satyrism¹ with the beaty pageant contestants who didn't speak English, but I laughed when Bull drew a picture of his name to the Swedish one who thought he had drawn a cow and was offended when he added something to the drawing to clarify... 😂

1 The male version of nymphomania

The pilot had its moments and my favorite line that still cracks me up is when Lana introduces herself to Harry when she finds out he’s the judge…

Harry:  couldn’t you just die?  

It’s all in the delivery.  

• LOL 1

A lot of people reject the early episodes but I like them, because I saw them when they were new before the show went insane. The show gets far less believable but much funnier, though Selma was irreplaceable. And it's fun to see a lot of the Barney Miller guest stars show up here. I wish the new show had these types of actors.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, januaryman said:

A lot of people reject the early episodes but I like them, because I saw them when they were new before the show went insane. The show gets far less believable but much funnier, though Selma was irreplaceable. And it's fun to see a lot of the Barney Miller guest stars show up here. I wish the new show had these types of actors.

I remember in particular the "slow talker" defendant actor, whose name I don't remember, was one of the best occasional guest stars on Barney Miller.  I always looked forward to seeing him.

5 hours ago, januaryman said:

I’ll take the first couple of seasons over the last couple any day.  I tried to watch an episode from season 9 and couldn’t get through it.  It doesn’t help that I think NC had the worst cast addition ever with the court reporter character (Annette?) at that point.  She was the first character they added that was just beyond annoying and just not funny (IMO).

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

When I was watching in real time (yes, I'm that old), I remember thinking the later seasons went off the rails too much.  I also didn't like whatshisname they married Christine off to only to ship him off to South America the next day, nor did I like Dan as the Phantom of the courthouse.  Year later, watching in syndication, I liked those eps a lot more - they were better than I remembered.  I also always liked the first years, too.  I liked Lana, and Liz, and even liked Billy.  Don't get me wrong, I also loved Mac and Roz.

And now I've been rewatching via the marathon on the old Decades network (now called Catchy Comedy?) and while I am loving it, it really shows this remake/continuation really, really pales in comparison.  

• Like 6

For me, the first two or so years and the last three or so years were pretty awful.  The first few years were due to the show finding its feet and the cast gelling, then Reinhold Weege left the show in 1989 and the show gradually went down the toilet. 

I wonder how the reboot would be if he were still alive and running it?