Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Pressure and Time / S06.E04: Inside Man

• Start Topic

J gets to know the new attorney while Craig scouts a potential new job; Deran hangs out with a guy from out of town; Pope helps a kid at the skate park; in 1992, Baz visits Andrew's church.

Air date: Jun 26, 2022

So last week Deran got the locals to flee that influencer's house without doing much. Simply because he's a Cody. This week Pope, by far the scarier Cody, can't keep the skaters off his ramp. Okay. Sure.

We all knew Smurf was a terrible mother. So of course she can't let Julia go to school or get a job. She has to make sure Julia stays under her control and working in the family business.

I feel terrible for Young Pope.

• Like 3

I get a bad feeling about all of the Codys this season, maybe minus J. Pope is clearly going to get charged with Catherine's death. Deran is probably going get an assault charge for beating that guy up and possibly the influencer thing will come back to haunt him. I don't know what will happen to Craig, but I have a bad feeling about his new friends. It wouldn't surprise me if his new pal is some sort of informant.

Young Smurf continues to be the worst. Neither Pope nor Julia can have anything for themselves, everything has to be about Smurf and her "business". I'm hoping they flash forward at some point so we can see the final rift between Julia and the family.

• Like 2

I'm hoping they flash forward at some point so we can see the final rift between Julia and the family.

The thing is, I don't think we have time. If you go back and watch the very first episode, it was implied that Julia was still at least partly involved with her family after J was born. J had met his uncles before, but had not seen them since he was little. So Julia didn't completely cut them off until J was a little older.

The show really has a narrative problem that's becoming more obvious the older it gets. The Codys already have all this cash they need to launder and all this merch they need to fence, and here they are planning yet another heist. What do they plan to do with all the jewelry when they already have a ton of shit they can't unload? The show needs them to keep pulling these jobs just to maintain their status, or for entertainment, or whatever, but it doesn't really make a lick of sense. They all keep acting like they're cash poor but they've stolen enough loot over the years to fill Fort Knox by now. Pulling another heist isn't going to help if they can't spend what they've already got.

Also I don't trust this jeweler's half-brother, I think he's setting them up.

The promo spots for this season are giving way too much away IMO. 

• Like 3

I don't recall when or if we were shown in other flashbacks when Julia decided she was not interested in the family business

Well, the first flashback of this season showed her as a reluctant participant in the school computer heist. But now she's all smiles since Smurf gave her a car. Frankly it kind of makes her look like a flake.

RE: said flashbacks, if taken literally we would have to assume Smurf shrank about four inches between 1992 and 2016 when this show began. As did Pope - or else Baz had a sudden growth spurt some time after this episode took place because grown up Baz towered over Pope and as teens it's the other way around.

• Love 2
(edited)

Splitting up with Sean Penn must’ve helped her acting or something because I am really buying Leila George as Smurf now lol. Smurf makes me sick tho I can barely watch sometimes. I keep expecting her to make out with Pope it’s so disturbing. Something really sick is going to happen I think.

J has his appeal. He’s not my type but I could see women wanting to get with him but like it’s basically every woman that comes into his life no matter what they end up getting with him. It’s getting tiring.

The guy with Deran is annoying. He’s asking so many questions like chill. I don’t know why Deran wouldn’t just peace out.

I don’t care about Craig and his new friends. Also since when is Renn so high and mighty. I remember her and Craig getting in a big fight but she’s acting like she’s some saint or something now.

I’m liking this season way more then last season tho and I hope somehow we see how Julia finally leaves the family. I have a sick feeling tho about how it’ll all end but who knows.

Edited by Marley
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Marley said:

Splitting up with Sean Penn must’ve helped her acting or something because I am really buying Leila George as Smurf now lol. Smurf makes me sick tho I can barely watch sometimes. I keep expecting her to make out with Pope it’s so disturbing. Something really sick is going to happen I think.

J has his appeal. He’s not my type but I could see women wanting to get with him but like it’s basically every woman that comes into his life no matter what they end up getting with him. It’s getting tiring.

The guy with Deran is annoying. He’s asking so many questions like chill. I don’t know why Deran wouldn’t just peace out.

I don’t care about Craig and his new friends. Also since when is Renn so high and mighty. I remember her and Craig getting in a big fight but she’s acting like she’s some saint or something now.

I’m liking this season way more then last season tho and I hope somehow we see how Julia finally leaves the family. I have a sick feeling tho about how it’ll all end but who knows.

I think all the Cody boys have some sort of appeal. Craig seems to hook up with a new girl every episode and Deran has all the boys chasing after him. 

I wonder if we'll finally get confirmation that Baz is J's dad.

• Like 3

What was the thing with Deran beating up that guy about?  I must have missed something. 
Why do both Smurf and Julia cuddle in the bed with Pope.  Just something off 
And Pope was trying to do something good with his life by going to church (not my thing but I respect it) and Smurf tormented him.  It’s crazy to think some of this things he has done including murder yet you almost feel sorry for him.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I was thinking that there might be a clue in earlier seasons, but I am loathe to revisit those episodes.

This is the first season we've ever seen teen Julia. She was a kid in last season's flashbacks and a baby in Season 4. Seasons 1 thru 3 did not have the flashback gimmick. So no, there has never been any previous explanation for why she eventually cut ties with her whole family. 

Splitting up with Sean Penn must’ve helped her acting or something because I am really buying Leila George as Smurf now lol.

I think it mostly has to do with seeing her swan around the same house in those silk caftans. The visual is very similar. I agree it does make me think more of Ellen Barkin though. 

What was the thing with Deran beating up that guy about?  I must have missed something. 

I think he was trying to show his new boyfriend how dangerous he really was. He's been pretty secretive with him, keeping him at arms length, just basically calling him for hookups. The boyfriend (don't even know his name) got him to come down to San Diego for an actual date, and I think this was Deran's way of saying "Hey, maybe you don't want to know that much about me."

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I think he was trying to show his new boyfriend how dangerous he really was. He's been pretty secretive with him, keeping him at arms length, just basically calling him for hookups. The boyfriend (don't even know his name) got him to come down to San Diego for an actual date, and I think this was Deran's way of saying "Hey, maybe you don't want to know that much about me."

If that guy has an ounce of sense, he should cut Deran loose ASAP.

• Love 1

I am pretty sure the guy Deran beat up was wanting to gay bash Derans dare. I thought he was saying to Deran outside the bathroom that gay ppl don’t even hide it anymore amd they panned over to Derans date whispering in some guys ear and blah blah and then Deran said he was going to lure his date out and they would beat him up together. The other guy didn’t know Deran was with whatever his dates name is. That’s why when they were out there the guy was getting ready to help Deran beat his date up. Unless I’m crazy lol or making this up I’m pretty sure that’s how it went.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

Why do both Smurf and Julia cuddle in the bed with Pope.  Just something off 

That is the understatement of the year, right there.  I get such a creepy feeling I have to get up and leave the room, yuck!

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, Marley said:

I am pretty sure the guy Deran beat up was wanting to gay bash Derans dare. I thought he was saying to Deran outside the bathroom that gay ppl don’t even hide it anymore amd they panned over to Derans date whispering in some guys ear and blah blah and then Deran said he was going to lure his date out and they would beat him up together. The other guy didn’t know Deran was with whatever his dates name is. That’s why when they were out there the guy was getting ready to help Deran beat his date up. Unless I’m crazy lol or making this up I’m pretty sure that’s how it went.

That might have been the case, but I still think Deran's date should cut him loose after that.  That was vicious.

I am pretty sure the guy Deran beat up was wanting to gay bash Derans date. I thought he was saying to Deran outside the bathroom that gay ppl don’t even hide it anymore amd they panned over to Derans date whispering in some guys ear and blah blah and then Deran said he was going to lure his date out and they would beat him up together. The other guy didn’t know Deran was with whatever his dates name is. That’s why when they were out there the guy was getting ready to help Deran beat his date up. Unless I’m crazy lol or making this up I’m pretty sure that’s how it went.

Yes, that's how it went down, but the question is why Deran went along with it. Simply because he wanted to beat the guy up for being a homophobe? Or to show his date a side of himself the date wasn't aware of? I read it as Daren trying to show his date "the real" Daren. Sort of like "Hey, you said you wanted to get to know me, well this is me." The date looked fairly horrified; don't know if we'll see him again after this.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Yes, that's how it went down, but the question is why Deran went along with it. Simply because he wanted to beat the guy up for being a homophobe? Or to show his date a side of himself the date wasn't aware of? I read it as Daren trying to show his date "the real" Daren. Sort of like "Hey, you said you wanted to get to know me, well this is me." The date looked fairly horrified; don't know if we'll see him again after this.

You are probably right but I hope it worked because Deran’s date is really annoying and asks like 30 questions a second lol.

• Like 1

I think in the beginning Deran's date sensed that Deran was a "sexy bad boy," and that might have been why he was so inquisitive.  Now that he's seen how vicious Deran can be, I wonder if he'll stick around.

I forgot they had given Lena up, but she still remembers her uncle Pope.  They should have kept her, J knows he has a sister out there?

Derans boyfriend should be running for it now.  

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I forgot they had given Lena up, but she still remembers her uncle Pope.  They should have kept her, J knows he has a sister out there?

Derans boyfriend should be running for it now.  

I think that J. is a different kind of sick than Pope. While Pope will protect the family first J. is more like Smurf only cares as far as they are useful to him. There is no telling what Julia, being raised by Smurf as she was saw as normal family life when she was raising J. alone.

Just now, sugarbaker design said:

They should've kept her!?!?!?  These four scumbags?  Pope strangled her mother for chrissakes!

Kept her to control who she talked to. Like Smurf kept young Andrew away from talking to mandatory reporters

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

They should've kept her!?!?!?  These four scumbags?  Pope strangled her mother for chrissakes!

Well she still looks miserable, remembers she had a family out there who gave her away. Now she's been hauled into questioning by a stranger cop. 

She doesn't seem that better and she's probably still going to have a lot of issues as she gets older. 

16 minutes ago, Raja said:

Kept her to control who she talked to. Like Smurf kept young Andrew away from talking to mandatory reporters

Kept who?  Lena?  She didn't know anything.

5 minutes ago, Artsda said:

She doesn't seem that better and she's probably still going to have a lot of issues as she gets older. 

And that's the fault of the entire Cody clan.  Her uncle strangled her mother and her grandmother had her father killed.

Just now, sugarbaker design said:

Kept who?  Lena?  She didn't know anything.

And that's the fault of the entire Cody clan.  Her uncle strangled her mother and her grandmother had her father killed.

And yet after Lena threw out Uncle Pope's name  a detective now has a man undercover on Pope

(edited)
2 minutes ago, Raja said:

And yet after Lena threw out Uncle Pope's name  a detective now has a man undercover on Pope

The cops didn't need Lena for that.  Andrew Cody, a known criminal and ex-con, was Catherine's brother-in-law.

Edited by sugarbaker design
(edited)
3 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

J might have a sister??  What did I miss or forget?

That Baz might be his and Lena's father. Or Pope could be was a season 1 speculation too

Edited by Raja
  • Useful 1

Well she still looks miserable, remembers she had a family out there who gave her away. Now she's been hauled into questioning by a stranger cop. 

Lena has always looked miserable, it's her most defining feature. It was almost a running gag the first three seasons that she was the saddest little girl in the world. Now, when she went to live with that foster family (who I think eventually adopted her) and had her final goodbye scene with Pope, she did seem happy for once in her life. So it kind of cracked me up to see her again, still looking miserable. It would be hysterical if it turned out her new family were all murderous criminals too.

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Lena has always looked miserable, it's her most defining feature. It was almost a running gag the first three seasons that she was the saddest little girl in the world. Now, when she went to live with that foster family (who I think eventually adopted her) and had her final goodbye scene with Pope, she did seem happy for once in her life. So it kind of cracked me up to see her again, still looking miserable. It would be hysterical if it turned out her new family were all murderous criminals too.

Friends of Smurf No doubt 

• LOL 1

Still feels to me like Craig is getting played by his new biking and robbing buddy.

Well we're finally finding out how and why Andrew become Pope.

Why was Smurf so opposed to Julia having a job, enough to corrupt her with the gift of a stolen car? Just being a control freak, or she doesn't want her kids to do better without her?

Aw, Craig. You'd been doing so good with your sobriety.

Craig's new friend is trouble. "You're feelin' low? Let's go out to the desert and shoot this gigantic machine gun. That'll perk you right up, Craig." (Over on reddit they think the guy is a cop and the robbery he got Craig in on in the previous episode was 100% staged.)

Smurf might've been right to try to steer Pope away from the church. He was probably vulnerable enough to get abused, and she reserved the right to abuse him herself. Plus, he could've ended up killing a priest and that would've been a whole 'nother level of trouble.

Deran's new fuck buddy is hella shady. He asks too many "just curious" questions.

Craig's new thieving & sobriety buddy still looks shady too. His ex who's screwing Craig is probably in on whatever he's pulling on Craig.

This married woman dealing with J might also be problematic. He thinks he's lowkey working her but she's probably up to something. It might be as simple as trying to get pregnant since she knows he's got $$$.

Smurf was like, "Andrew, thou shalt have no other gods before me." And ugh at her kissing him straight on the lips. He senses that it's wrong.

Craig's fake name when he went to case the jewelry guy was Mr. Smith. Hah!

Robbing a church? Dang, Smurf. You're giving Satan a run for his money.

Man, they're coming for the Codys from all sides.