Type keyword(s) to search

The WNBA

OtterMommy
  • Start Topic

Wow. The first playoff game between the Liberty & Sky was incredible. However, I cannot get over the 12 missed shots in the last two-three minutes of the game. It was clear that they were tired, and the Liberty took advantage of that. I'm happy for Ionescu, though. Looking forward to the next game.

• Like 1

I don't like that ESPN has the two Game 3's set up to air after Little League, because the Little League typically has long rain delays that wreak havoc with the schedule and make it very difficult to figure out what is airing on what channel.  Of course the WNBA games will still air somewhere, but I was going to watch them on recordings a little later.  I guess I will probably have to find out what channel they are actually on and set up a second recording there. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I don't like that ESPN has the two Game 3's set up to air after Little League, because the Little League typically has long rain delays that wreak havoc with the schedule and make it very difficult to figure out what is airing on what channel.  Of course the WNBA games will still air somewhere, but I was going to watch them on recordings a little later.  I guess I will probably have to find out what channel they are actually on and set up a second recording there. 

It’s wicked annoying. Luckily, I’m used to it happening because of college basketball, but still.

Congrats to the Chicago Sky!! I am hoping they go all the way again. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Now that Chicago Sky is out, I’ll be rooting for the Las Vegas Aces. @QueerGirrl is right; they are unstoppable. Also, I just can’t get behind the Sun. I don’t know why.

Agreed PepSinger.  Vegas, despite kicking the crap outta my Sky this season, is likeable team to me.  They are incredibly talented. 

Edited by QueerGirrl
  • Love 1
On 2/1/2023 at 12:12 PM, mojoween said:

Breanna Stewart is signing with the Liberty.  Who’s shocked?  Anyone?  Bueller?

Courtney Vandersloot, the 2018 MVP, is also signing with the New York Liberty. She's expected to take less salary so she can fit her contract under the Liberty's salary cap space.

I could be wrong, but since the Liberty now have three former MVPs (Stewart, Vandersloot and Jonquel Jones) plus All-Star Betnijah Laney and former No. 1 overall pick Sabrina Ionescu that this is the WNBA's version of "if LeBron, Luka, Ja Morant, Giannis and Steph Curry all came together on one team". Should be a bigger story, you'd think.

I guess we'll see how it goes but this Liberty team could capture wider attention and draw some eyeballs the WNBA badly needs. I don't know how the rest of the WNBA feels about this (probably not very good) but this could be a good story for the WNBA going forward.

• Like 2

It's nice that ION is airing Friday night games now, but whoever is in charge of the schedule/guide didn't get the memo that they start at 5 & 7 PM in the Pacific time zone.  I record Liberty and Wings games (for Sabrina, Satou Sabally and now Nyara Sabally also playing for New York), but they listed the Wings-Storm game as starting at 10 PM.  I had to set recordings for a Hawaii 5-0 episode and then the Sky-Mystics game they were listing at 8 to actually get the game.  It would seem like this would eventually be corrected in future weeks, but not so far!  I thought CBS Sports Network taking forever to list the games (they have a generic schedule until maybe a week out) was annoying enough.

The first Liberty game was pretty ugly, but they picked it up in the second half against Connecticut.  I was glad to see Nyara Sabally in and contributing after all her injuries over the years, but then she may have gotten hurt again late.  She was still in the game, but looked pained.

• Like 1

The Liberty-Mystics game on Sunday was really interesting yet nerve-racking!  I had noticed my recording had automatically extended, which suggested the game had gone to overtime; but when Washington jumped out to a 13-0 lead I started thinking maybe it was just some glitch that it extended the recording.  Then New York kept having chances late but missing key free throws, only to end up tying it on VanderSloot's late drive for a lay-up after the Mystics missed some free throws.  Then VanderSloot fouled out in overtime, but Sabrina kept them afloat until the struggling Stewart made the big three-point play.  I still thought they'd lose with 17 seconds left, but they managed to hold on.  I just finished watching yesterday's game with Connecticut, which was also very entertaining.  Sabrina was a total non-factor though, which was disappointing.  I don't know if she will make the All-Star Game this year with so many good players as she has been up and down and missed some time.  I'm happy that Satou Sabally was picked as a starter though (haven't watched yesterday's Dallas game yet).  I hope BG can play but that will depend on how her hip is feeling.

• Like 3

It's just one game, but I was rather shocked by Sunday's Liberty-Aces game.  After having tried to watch their first meeting when I had a trial of Amazon Prime (I gave up and opened a different window on the laptop a few minutes into the third quarter), I was just happy New York played a good first half this time but thought that Sabrina would slow down and Las Vegas would pull away.  Even when the Liberty had a fair-sized lead, I wasn't so sure because they tend to let even some of the league's not-as-successful teams back into games quickly.  But they kept hitting everything, and Becky Hammon decided to wave the white flag going to the fourth quarter.  The Commissioner's Cup and the next "regular" meeting are both Prime games, so if things go badly, at least I won't see it!

It still seems a little weird to me that Sabrina (though she had some other points today) is primarily a three-point shooter now.  She'd make a few a game in college, often to beat a shot clock or end-of-quarter clock, but there would be a player whose main role was to shoot threes (usually well, but then there would be games where the other team would not let that player get the ball at all, even if it meant getting beaten a lot by Sabrina, Satou or Ruthy Hebard).  I suspect her role will change a lot next year, because I think Stewart and VanderSloot are only on one-year contracts?

The media seems to act like it's all about Las Vegas-New York and everyone else is an afterthought, but I think the Liberty could have a real problem with Washington in round 1.  After coming back from 12 down in the 4th but losing at the buzzer today, New York only split the season series with them.  And one of the wins was the miracle comeback/overtime win I mentioned in an earlier post.  It seems like Stewart always struggles really badly against the Mystics (though I haven't looked up how she did in the third meeting).  I wonder if she was just cold or if it's their defense.

It's not like the Liberty were resting or not giving an all-out effort, especially with #1 seed still on the line (though I would have fainted if the Aces lost to one-win-on-the-road-all-season Phoenix).  When the game was tied, I had a feeling it wasn't going to go well because my recording would have extended if it had been overtime.  I wish it had been another player who made the shot, as she is one of two players in the league I really don't like.  Anyway, I cringed when I checked the schedule afterwards and saw that Washington was the playoff opponent.  Atlanta (who is playing Dallas) might have been better.

Chicago has a tough draw but it's nice that they made the playoffs after being overhauled and seeing their coach leave in the middle of the season.  I've watched some of their games after Ruthy Hebard came back from maternity leave and I'm glad she has somewhat been part of the rotation again.  She's always seemed really nice, her suspension for coming off the bench during an altercation this season notwithstanding!  I hope Copper was just sitting today because they'd clinched and will be ready for Wednesday.

• Like 2

Oh so NOW everyone cares about the women’s salaries because their golden girl is getting paid eighty grand a year.  No one batted an eye when Brittany Griner was in the fucking gulag because she was trying to make some more bank.  I hate people.  The women have been complaining about this for YEARS but no one deigned to listen before.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3

I wasn't surprised to hear it was Gregg Doyel who made an inappropriate comment to Caitlin Clark at her press conference in Indy.  I've thought the guy was a jerk since his time with CBSSports.com when he mocked Brian Butch, a University of Wisconsin basketball player, for crying as he left the floor after suffering an injury.  Butch had dislocated and broken his elbow, he was in extreme pain, and the injury ended his season. Doyel made some type of half-assed apology after the outrage of Wisconsin fans (and others with a sense of decency) was made loud and clear.  That happened 17 years ago and it is clear Doyel has not improved with age.  He's moved on from mocking the injured to making inappropriate remarks to a female athlete. 

• Useful 3
On 4/16/2024 at 7:09 PM, mojoween said:

The women have been complaining about this for YEARS but no one deigned to listen before.

Well, let's see if the players union has the juice to get a better deal in 2025 when they're expected to opt out of the current collective bargaining agreement.  NBA players get 50% of the revenue while WNBA get 10%.  Regardless, they'd still have vastly smaller salaries than their NBA counterparts and people looking to score cheap points would still get all worked up about the pay disparity. 

If the owners do what they'll probably want to do (i.e. cheap out), will the players be willing to hold the line and dare them to have a lockout? 

• Like 1