Type keyword(s) to search

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

• Start Topic

This movie had some run back in 1982. Now a theater would never let one movie play for so long.  I remember going on the ride at Universal Studios E.T. said goodbye to me. I'm glad the ride is still going as so many others have closed over the years. The score still has some emotional emotions but it's John Williams so no surprise. My Dad waited on line for this movie when it opened he said everyone was crying when they were walking out. He was like "Oh no what kind of movie is this" lol.  It's funny a have a friend who hated this movie as a kid but now as an adult they like it. Usually it's the opposite.  I like it and glad it is still remembered though I know some think it's overrated. The movie would probably be more cynical if it opened today. 

• Love 5

No matter how many times I watch, I cry buckets at the end. Buckets. Curse you, John Williams!

Although the sequel commercial that aired Thanksgiving with the adult Henry Thomas gave some much needed closure.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Oh, yeah, I absolutely ugly-cried when I saw this in 1982, and it still gets me.  I seem to recall, though, that parts were changed from the original?  I haven't seen it in ages, but it seems like they softened the government response or something.  i don't remember exactly, but I feel like something was different later.  Kind of like how they "fixed" Star Wars.

• Love 2

Earlier today,  I was flipping through the stations and came across this and watched it for a bit. It when the government had E.T. and Elliot in the room, monitoring them.  Drew Barrymore, understandably, got a lot of attention, but I can't get over how good Henry Thomas was.  I, too, cried buckets when it came out. 

I remember there was a special for an earlier anniversary and they were talking to Steven and Drew and others. Steven told Drew that whenever they broke for lunch, she'd got into where they stored E.T. and talk to him and sometimes, the puppeteers would sneak in start running him--tilting his head, making him blink, to keep the magic alive for her. She didn't remember it, but she was so moved that they would do that for her. 

I case you haven't seen it, this is Henry Thomas's audition tape:

• Applause 3
  • Love 2

Oh, yeah, I absolutely ugly-cried when I saw this in 1982, and it still gets me.  I seem to recall, though, that parts were changed from the original?  I haven't seen it in ages, but it seems like they softened the government response or something.  i don't remember exactly, but I feel like something was different later.  Kind of like how they "fixed" Star Wars.

That was the 20th anniversary version. It's now out of circulation. The blu-ray version is the original movie. 

• Thanks 2
3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Earlier today,  I was flipping through the stations and came across this and watched it for a bit. It when the government had E.T. and Elliot in the room, monitoring them.  Drew Barrymore, understandably, got a lot of attention, but I can't get over how good Henry Thomas was.  I, too, cried buckets when it came out. 

I remember there was a special for an earlier anniversary and they were talking to Steven and Drew and others. Steven told Drew that whenever they broke for lunch, she'd got into where they stored E.T. and talk to him and sometimes, the puppeteers would sneak in start running him--tilting his head, making him blink, to keep the magic alive for her. She didn't remember it, but she was so moved that they would do that for her. 

I remember hearing that Drew Barrymore story and thought it was so sweet.

I cannot watch this movie. I love the music but I seriously end up in convulsive sobs. And since there are usually other people around, it’s kind of embarrassing. (I’m related to a bunch of emotional robots.) “I’ll be right here” absolutely kills me.

I have no memory of seeing it in the theater but my parents say they took me. I was a quiet crier so it wasn’t until the movie was over that my dad realized I was curled in a fetal position crying my eyes out. Then he had to carry me to the car.

Great movie. Fabulous music. Truly moving story. And it would take a LOT to get me to watch it again.

• Love 4

though I know some think it's overrated

Me. I like it, but never loved it. I did feel sad by the end of the movie, but never enough to shed any tears.

Other movies have made me cry, just not this one.

4 hours ago, AgathaC said:

I remember hearing that Drew Barrymore story and thought it was so sweet.

I cannot watch this movie. I love the music but I seriously end up in convulsive sobs. And since there are usually other people around, it’s kind of embarrassing. (I’m related to a bunch of emotional robots.) “I’ll be right here” absolutely kills me.

I have no memory of seeing it in the theater but my parents say they took me. I was a quiet crier so it wasn’t until the movie was over that my dad realized I was curled in a fetal position crying my eyes out. Then he had to carry me to the car.

Great movie. Fabulous music. Truly moving story. And it would take a LOT to get me to watch it again.

I always end up sobbing, too. We saw it in the theatre. Mum said that I was sobbing, and that my sister was sort of sniffing. She would hate to openly cry. :) As an adult, she said that ET had scared her. 

"I'll be right here" gets me every time. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I would also like to add how much I loved the sequel:

I don’t care if it was just to plug Xfinity, I cried, dammit!

It was excellent. A lot of story told in just a few minutes.

I love everything about this movie. Interestingly, despite it being primarily Elliot and ET's story, I love Michael's relationship with him too--the way he screams "No!" when he realizes that ET's dying is just as wrenching as Elliot's cries.

And that bike riding scene with the kids is AWESOME

• Love 5

My parents took me and some friends to see it in the theater for my seventh birthday, but the place was packed and the only seats were in the front row. The scene where Drew Barrymore finds ET in the shed and they both start screaming--well I freaked out and started screaming too. A few people claimed temporary deafness from sitting near me that night.

I did love the movie but I was VERY startled when ET popped out.

• Love 3