Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E21: Desire/Khwast

• Start Topic

The family grows concerned when Al starts skipping classes to spend more time with Cindy. Also, Riley questions how much longer he and Vanessa can keep hiding their relationship, on the CBS Original series UNITED STATES OF AL, Thursday, May 12 (8:31-9:01 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and available to stream live and on demand on Paramount+

• Love 1

Thank goodness, it really seemed like Vanessa was going to say she was pregnant.

I guess Lois has neither Al nor Riley's #s saved in her phone, and Al must have begun his text to her with "This is Riley", or I don't see how he could have sent her a text purporting to be from Riley from his own phone.

• Love 4

It's tough watching the remainder of this season now we know the show's not coming back :(.

But good on Cindy for finally being the one to get through to Al and make him focus on his schoolwork. I did like Art and Lizzie doing their part to help keep an eye on Al, too, though. Especially Art - I love that he's taking his promise to Al's mom so seriously :). I also got a kick out of Lois wanting to join in on the effort to bring Al home. She really has become part of the family :D. Here's hoping that Al can bounce back from this near flunk out, and find a better balance between his personal life and his studies. 

As for Riley and Vanessa...OOF. I had a feeling that might be what Vanessa planned to tell Riley at the end there. Either that or she'd announce she was pregnant, one of the two. And I'm rather relieved it's not the latter, 'cause that's about the last thing they'd need right now on top of all this mess, I think. 

Even so, this definitely just adds to the messiness of the situation, for sure. I'm wondering on some level if there's more to Freddy's proposal. Is he asking Vanessa because of his longstanding desire to marry her, or is he asking her as a way to suss out whatever suspicions, if any, he may have about what's going on with her? Or is it a mix of both? Guess we'll find out next week. 

Nice to see Riley's therapist again. I like how he just cuts through the BS with him :p. And I'm glad Holly did her part to help the others find Al, despite everything. I felt for her when Riley admitted to still being in love with Vanessa while he was with her. Ouch. 

So much in the air here for everyone. Will be very curious to see if and how it all resolves itself next week. 

• Love 7

"If I order food, will you take a bite of it first?" Hee. Holly taking back the napkin with Cindy's address on it just to spit on it was funny. I also loved the interrogation-style meeting to get Al to study for his test and all Art had to do was threaten to call his mother in Kabul :p. Lois treating them getting Al at the end like it was a police takedown and getting upset there wasn't any action cracked me up. 

It's strange seeing Shawn Hunter's dad as a therapist, and even I could have told Riley that him sleeping with Vanessa was partly because he held out hope of them getting back together. LOL at Riley trying to walk away from the motel after telling Vanessa he wanted more but not being able to do it. As for "Freddy asked me to marry him" at the end, I'm wondering if Freddy really did ask or is this some sort of plan-with-the-potential-to-backfire of Vanessa's, to force Riley to fight for her. He wouldn't go to therapy and get help for his PTSD for her and that was what led to their separation, but there has to be a reason neither of them officially signed the divorce paperwork until recently despite them both dating other people. If Freddy/Vanessa do want to get married....Riley and Vanessa are still technically husband and wife. Nothing's been filed, right? 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

If Freddy/Vanessa do want to get married....Riley and Vanessa are still technically husband and wife. Nothing's been filed, right? 

Correct :). They've signed the papers, but Vanessa never mailed them out. So yeah, either she accepts Freddy's proposal and has no choice but to send in those papers, thus effectively ending her marriage once and for all, or she turns him down, which would naturally have a big effect on their relationship, even if they were to stay together. 

There's also the possibility that she could end things with Freddy and she and Riley still don't wind up getting back together in the end, but that would be a rather depressing way to go. A realistic one, mind, but still...

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I'm wondering on some level if there's more to Freddy's proposal. Is he asking Vanessa because of his longstanding desire to marry her, or is he asking her as a way to suss out whatever suspicions, if any, he may have about what's going on with her? Or is it a mix of both? Guess we'll find out next week. 

All I can say about that is run, Freddy, run.  He deserves better than lying, cheating, sourpuss Barbie.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I think Freddy proposed because he thinks that Vanessa is FINALLY divorced. I don’t think he would have asked if he thought she wasn’t.

I agree. Riley led him to believe they took all the steps needed to divorce.

• Love 2

Not surprised it was cancelled. I watched the first season because it was socially relevant and thought it would give insight into the mind of an Afghan refugee. It seemed to lose its way, especially in the second season. What happened to Al's sister? Oh, she's safe, so I'll just go screw around and be an ass. And Cindy? Wow. Like she'll stick around for the long haul, which is was Al was originally looking for. Sad. It could have been so much better.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Not surprised it was cancelled. I watched the first season because it was socially relevant and thought it would give insight into the mind of an Afghan refugee. It seemed to lose its way,

I so agree.  Somewhere after that dramatic first episode, it took Two and a Half Men as inspiration rather than explore the deeper emotions that came out in the opener.  Maybe CBS told the writers they didn't want to deal with anything depressing or that could be seen as political. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

Maybe CBS told the writers they didn't want to deal with anything depressing or that could be seen as political. 

I definitely think this was a factor. Not wanting to risk stepping on any toes, and all that. Which, if that's the case, is frustrating, but also not all that surprising. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

I so agree.  Somewhere after that dramatic first episode, it took Two and a Half Men as inspiration rather than explore the deeper emotions that came out in the opener.  Maybe CBS told the writers they didn't want to deal with anything depressing or that could be seen as political. 

I think it's more likely the writers and producers felt they should pull back some after that great opener to the second season and touch on Afghanistan and refugees only a little after that, but then I guess they pulled back too far

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 5/15/2022 at 1:27 PM, DanaK said:

I think it's more likely the writers and producers felt they should pull back some after that great opener to the second season and touch on Afghanistan and refugees only a little after that, but then I guess they pulled back too far

I would've like more of Al's college storyline.  I thought that had interesting potential.  Instead we got the stupid Riley/Vanessa crap.

• Love 4

I really hate the Riley/Vanessa stuff. The show had done such a good job with them prior to this (in my opinion).  I wouldn't mind it so much if Vanessa wasn't living with Freddie but she is and no matter how you feel about Freddie that's just a really sucky thing to do to a person who things you're in a committed relationship.  I realize Riley was in a relationship as well and while i don't excuse him there's a difference between dating someone and living with them.  Though both Riley and Vanessa are cheaters and need to figure out what it is exactly that they want. Be together or don't be but don't be in the middle causing pain all around.

The less said about Al and Cindy the better.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5