Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: An All Star Is Born

• Start Topic

Twenty-four Challenge All Stars, all finalists or winners, arrive in Panama to face off in the most explosive season of yet. All eyes are on the notorious Wes and Veronica as they make their first appearances on "All Stars" and leave both their enemies and friends wondering what trouble they have in store for this season. With $500,000 and their legacies on the line, who will have what it takes to make it all the way?

Air Date: May 11, 2022

I'm at work, so I'll be quick. I dunno what pissed me off more . . . Cynthia going out this early, or P+ dumping a second episode.

Also, Tyler going out even earlier sucked, and Crawl Brawl was a huge miss.

• Love 1

It's days like today where I wonder how the fuck do I manage the make a living when I ignore the entire workday just to watch TV at home with The Challenge, the new Hulu show Candy, along with The Circle on Netflix, and Survivor which I have not watched yet, and Survivor is scheduled for tonight.

I didn't expect to get two episodes right out of the gate. I was only prepared for one. When I saw two, I was too excited and I couldn't wait and that's when I knew... the work day was going down the drain.

• LOL 4
(edited)

I hope Cynthia is invited back. Bummed that she was out so soon.

Also, I better not see Jonna on All Stars 4. Three in a row is enough. Derrick, too... but I can't remember if he was on 2. 

Edited by funnygirl
15 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

I hope Cynthia is invited back. Bummed that she was out so soon.

Also, I better not see Jonna on All Stars 4. Three in a row is enough. Derrick, too... but I can't remember if he was on 2. 

He was

(edited)

I'm actually happy to see Nia. I'm approaching this with an open mind. She seems to be in a really good head space and seemingly more mature than when we last left off.

Additionally, when they introduced Nia and Jordan... am I the only one that thought for a split second that they may be dating? When Jordan said he and Nia got to know each other on their own terms, I was bracing for it... 👀

Me:

kevin-hart-stare.gif

Edited by AntFTW
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

I really hope Roni stays for a long time.  I'm really concerned for her especially when she has virtually no ties.

Also I feel like they should do a puzzle that isn't colors for Syrus.  Dude got screwed by the last one and the producers obviously now coming in he is color blind.

• Love 1

Am I a wimp for thinking the first few missions shouldn't lead into eliminations? Watching Cynthia go out this early sucked. Back in the days of Television Without Pity, I made a tournament with poster voting to pick the best RWer. Cynthia won that, beating ex-housemate Sarah Becker in the final. I can't see Cynthia coming back. She's too normal. Even if she grows her nails to RW5 length, she doesn't meet the expected level of insanity of the average player.

Jordan and Nia . . . yikes. Even if she's grown up . . . yikes. Also grisly: seeing Veronica and Tina bond in the house. All that was missing was them gnawing on chunks of Tonya's soul.

• Love 1

I was hugely disappointed by the opening episode (didn't realize there were 2 and didn't watch the second yet). Despite the return of true OGs like Veronica, Cynthia, Roni, there were too many recent season folks that I never saw at all, plus way too many people we've just seen recently, plus Wes, who is always insufferable.

The fun nostalgic vibe of the first 2 seasons felt 100% gone and I have very little interest in the rest of the season. Mark Long and whoever else is behind All Stars should realize that the JEK alliance and Wes were two of the factors that ruined the original franchise, so bringing in one of those characters was going to wreck this too. Bummer

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Am I a wimp for thinking the first few missions shouldn't lead into eliminations? Watching Cynthia go out this early sucked. Back in the days of Television Without Pity, I made a tournament with poster voting to pick the best RWer. Cynthia won that, beating ex-housemate Sarah Becker in the final. I can't see Cynthia coming back. She's too normal. Even if she grows her nails to RW5 length, she doesn't meet the expected level of insanity of the average player.

I felt the same. At the very least let them hang out for a few days/episodes before sending someone home. I wanted to see more Cynthia.  Was it her or Roni (my other favorite returnee) who said something like "I may look fit but cut me open and wine will spill out?"

I miss Mark's premise of a show chock full of OGs.  Most of these people are definitely not what I would consider OGs and I agree that for too many of them, this has already become their career.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

The fun nostalgic vibe of the first 2 seasons felt 100% gone and I have very little interest in the rest of the season. Mark Long and whoever else is behind All Stars should realize that the JEK alliance and Wes were two of the factors that ruined the original franchise, so bringing in one of those characters was going to wreck this too. Bummer

I felt no nostalgic vibes in the second season.

Season one felt like a reunion to me. I loved it. It was fun to watch. Seasons 2 and 3 seem no different than the flagship to me.

…except, the daily challenges are better on All Stars than the flagship IMO.

8 minutes ago, snarts said:

I miss Mark's premise of a show chock full of OGs.  Most of these people are definitely not what I would consider OGs and I agree that for too many of them, this has already become their career.

I’m guessing not enough OGs are agreeing to be on the show.

Edited by AntFTW
10 minutes ago, snarts said:

Was it her or Roni (my other favorite returnee) who said something like "I may look fit but cut me open and wine will spill out?"

I think it was Cynthia 😂

Casting has been a big issue for production with a lot of the OGs. The original pitch was like 2 weeks in a relaxed environment.  However COVID and other issues means it take at least 3 weeks to film now I believe and maybe longer with quarantines and other issues.  Even though they are getting paid pretty good money, some want insane money equal to what some of the vets on the regular challenge get which will never happen.  Also with jobs and families, so many of the OGs cannot take that much time with almost no contact with their home for that long. Also they are basically doing the same types of challenges and eliminations as the main show and there have been multiple injuries to cast members.  I don't know how many people in their 40s and up want to deal with that risk. Especially if you have a real full time job and young kids at home.  

I believe social media engagement went up once the newer cast members were brought in for AS3 and they pay attention to that stuff.  People like Kailah have more impact on social media due to the amount of followers they have compared to most of the OG cast. 

So if another season is done which has not been announced yet, i would expect more and more of the newer cast even ones who aren't on the main show anymore and maybe some who are. Wes, Jordan, Darrell, Anessa, etc are all still getting calls for the main show too.

Bananas was supposed to be on this season of AS3 but had to bail last minute due to scheduling with his other show I believe.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think I read before during season 1 of All Stars that Kelly Anne had been fighting an illness and had a long hospital stay (IIRC) before the season started. To my medically untrained eye, she appears to be doing much better. She looks a lot healthier this season than she did in season 1.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 2
On 5/12/2022 at 7:24 AM, AntFTW said:

I felt no nostalgic vibes in the second season.

Season one felt like a reunion to me. I loved it. It was fun to watch. Seasons 2 and 3 seem no different than the flagship to me.

…except, the daily challenges are better on All Stars than the flagship IMO.

I’m guessing not enough OGs are agreeing to be on the show.

Apparently Dan Renzi (Miami) and Tara Stern (Road Rules Northern Trail) were alternates (Sophia and Ace were as well).  

10 minutes ago, seltzer3 said:

Apparently Dan Renzi (Miami) and Tara Stern (Road Rules Northern Trail) were alternates (Sophia and Ace were as well).  

Seriously? I would've loved to have seen any of them over those who've been on three straight seasons.

Again, I feel like they're deviating so far from Mark's original premise.  It's just become a shorter version of the actual Challenge with a few 35+ people thrown in. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, snarts said:

I feel like they're deviating so far from Mark's original premise.  It's just become a shorter version of the actual Challenge with a few 35+ people thrown in. 

I watched this first episode. I mean, for an episode of the regular challenge it wasn't bad. But I wish this stuck to the original premise a bit more. This has become the same extreme sort of challenges as the regular show, and having Wes (and almost Johnny, ugh) and a few others who were doing the regular show quite recently on, it's not really an OGs show - which is what Mark and all the viewers originally wanted. Anyway, with Cynthia exiting early I'm bummed cause there's a real OG and All-Star and we barely got to catch up with her before she's gone again. If they want more of the Challenge, they should make more of the Challenge. I wish there was a bit more of a "Homecoming" vibe to this though where not only do we see people for the first time in a while and have a chance to catch up with them but also it would be a fun chance for some throwback competitions.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, seltzer3 said:

Wait, what?? Alternates for who? We have seen most of these people already, some of them on their 2nd and 3rd times. I keep seeing other old time cast members saying they'd be open to it if asked, so I'm skeptical of this "they can't find anyone to leave their families" line. 

I would have really enjoyed seeing Tara and Dan again.

I'd also love to see RR Northern Trail Dan again, he was one of the gentlest challenge beasts of all time. My favorite completely random memory of him is when they were heading up in a plane to do some kind of skydiving or something and he comments that he's listening to a Jim Croce tape on his Walkman and saying that was a bad idea because Croce died in a plane crash. It was just such a time marker, I'm sure none of the current cast even knows who Jim Croce is, or what a cassette tape is, or a Walkman. Also, I love that he liked Jim Croce, as that was a throwback even then in the late 90s/early 00s.

I feel like they're deviating so far from Mark's original premise.  It's just become a shorter version of the actual Challenge with a few 35+ people thrown in. 

I watched this first episode. I mean, for an episode of the regular challenge it wasn't bad. But I wish this stuck to the original premise a bit more. This has become the same extreme sort of challenges as the regular show, and having Wes (and almost Johnny, ugh) and a few others who were doing the regular show quite recently on, it's not really an OGs show - which is what Mark and all the viewers originally wanted. Anyway, with Cynthia exiting early I'm bummed cause there's a real OG and All-Star and we barely got to catch up with her before she's gone again. If they want more of the Challenge, they should make more of the Challenge. I wish there was a bit more of a "Homecoming" vibe to this though where not only do we see people for the first time in a while and have a chance to catch up with them but also it would be a fun chance for some throwback competitions.

That's exactly what it feels like, a slightly shorter and older-skewing regular challenge. Take a lesson from the Homecoming seasons and throw it all the way back, take us back to the days of Simon Says and Inner Tube Tango. The regular show is still happening so any folks who are still feeling fit and adventurous enough can go be on the regular show. Let the true OGs have a chill time with missions that aren't likely to tear an ACL, and if you need drama, add a couple nut jobs like Belou or Hollywick and watch them go crazy. 

Casting has been a big issue for production with a lot of the OGs. The original pitch was like 2 weeks in a relaxed environment.  However COVID and other issues means it take at least 3 weeks to film now I believe and maybe longer with quarantines and other issues.  Even though they are getting paid pretty good money, some want insane money equal to what some of the vets on the regular challenge get which will never happen.  Also with jobs and families, so many of the OGs cannot take that much time with almost no contact with their home for that long. Also they are basically doing the same types of challenges and eliminations as the main show and there have been multiple injuries to cast members.  I don't know how many people in their 40s and up want to deal with that risk. Especially if you have a real full time job and young kids at home.  

I believe social media engagement went up once the newer cast members were brought in for AS3 and they pay attention to that stuff.  People like Kailah have more impact on social media due to the amount of followers they have compared to most of the OG cast. 

So if another season is done which has not been announced yet, i would expect more and more of the newer cast even ones who aren't on the main show anymore and maybe some who are. Wes, Jordan, Darrell, Anessa, etc are all still getting calls for the main show too.

I just don't see the point of having a Challenge-lite just to draw social media interaction. They still have the regular show going, this should be a completely separate enterprise appealing to a different audience. 

• Love 5
On 5/11/2022 at 9:58 PM, seltzer3 said:

I really hope Roni stays for a long time.  I'm really concerned for her especially when she has virtually no ties.

Also I feel like they should do a puzzle that isn't colors for Syrus.  Dude got screwed by the last one and the producers obviously now coming in he is color blind.

Roni needs to join The Palace!

On 5/11/2022 at 6:01 PM, jsm1125 said:

Darrell, Laterrian, Kendall and Nehemiah were also on all 3 seasons.

It's redundant at this point.  And I'd already had my fill of Nehemiah after last season's Save De Palace b.s.

On 5/12/2022 at 12:57 AM, ljenkins782 said:

IMO Bananas and Wes are two of the primary reasons this franchise has remained watchable for so many years.   Some people may not like them, but they give it everything they have.  And I think they're funny as hell.   Evan and Kenny, not so much -- and that's not even counting the allegations made by Tonya.  I suspect Wes is on All Stars because he won't be going back to the original franchise, which is a shame.   The recruitment of young, strong guys from Europe in recent seasons has probably made the show unwinnable for Wes, despite his machinations.   If I recall, the last time Wes was on the original show he gassed out in a competition with Devin.   Not a good look.   I doubt Bananas will be going back either, for similar reasons, which unfortunately leaves us stuck with season after season of Cory, Devin, Nelson, etc.

On 5/11/2022 at 6:18 PM, AntFTW said:

I'm actually happy to see Nia. I'm approaching this with an open mind. She seems to be in a really good head space and seemingly more mature than when we last left off.

Additionally, when they introduced Nia and Jordan... am I the only one that thought for a split second that they may be dating? When Jordan said he and Nia got to know each other on their own terms, I was bracing for it... 👀

I was stunned to see Nia.   She was removed from the original Challenge for physical and verbal sexual abuse of Jordan.   Jordan was alleged to have been suspended from the show himself, for racial stuff he's said to have posted on social media some years ago (although I don't think any official announcement was made).   My theory is, the show wanted Jordan back because he's one of the all-time great Challenge competitors but realized it would appear hypocritical if they lifted his suspension but not Nia's, so they let them both come back and billed them as reconciled former enemies for drama.

The only casting choice I question is Kailah.   wtf?

(edited)
27 minutes ago, millennium said:

It's redundant at this point.  And I'd already had my fill of Nehemiah after last season's Save De Palace b.s.

IMO Bananas and Wes are two of the primary reasons this franchise has remained watchable for so many years.   Some people may not like them, but they give it everything they have.  And I think they're funny as hell.   Evan and Kenny, not so much -- and that's not even counting the allegations made by Tonya.  I suspect Wes is on All Stars because he won't be going back to the original franchise, which is a shame.   The recruitment of young, strong guys from Europe in recent seasons has probably made the show unwinnable for Wes, despite his machinations.   If I recall, the last time Wes was on the original show he gassed out in a competition with Devin.   Not a good look.   I doubt Bananas will be going back either, for similar reasons, which unfortunately leaves us stuck with season after season of Cory, Devin, Nelson, etc.

I was stunned to see Nia.   She was removed from the original Challenge for physical and verbal sexual abuse of Jordan.   Jordan was alleged to have been suspended from the show himself, for racial stuff he's said to have posted on social media some years ago (although I don't think any official announcement was made).   My theory is, the show wanted Jordan back because he's one of the all-time great Challenge competitors but realized it would appear hypocritical if they lifted his suspension but not Nia's, so they let them both come back and billed them as reconciled former enemies for drama.

I understand Wes from a casting/entertainment perspective, but not Bananas. The show kept trying to convince me that Bananas was entertainment gold, but I NEVER bought a ticket. I think he merely copied the blueprint that Evan and Kenny left for him, and I say this as someone who never wants to see those two ever again. I don’t deny that he’s good at the game, but he’s so attention-seeking and entitled that he’s just insufferable to watch. 

Edited by jsm1125
  • Love 1
(edited)
18 minutes ago, jsm1125 said:

I don’t deny that he’s good at the game, but he’s so attention-seeking and entitled that he’s just insufferable to watch. 

The guy's on a baseball card!  

710440357_ScreenShot2022-05-15at8_48_18PM.png.f4feb5eea5029d280d9906ac63074ba1.png

Of course he's attention-seeking and entitled.   That's what makes him a character.   I'll always deplore what he did to Sarah (although his reasoning, cold-hearted as it was, made sense) but otherwise he does seem to respect sportsmanship on the field and when he's beaten doesn't make excuses.   He shakes hands, says the better man won, and goes off to lick his wounds until next time.   He also makes a great foil for the other characters, going all the way back to the Island when Ev uttered her famous line, "Fuck you, Johnny Bananas, and fuck your alliance!"

Edited by millennium
2 hours ago, millennium said:

I doubt Bananas will be going back either, for similar reasons, which unfortunately leaves us stuck with season after season of Cory, Devin, Nelson, etc.

Three people who I honestly believe will never win the game... especially Nelson.

They are some of the last of a dying tribe, people from MTV shows.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, millennium said:

I question Nia as a casting choice also because TJ said the cast is people who have made it or qualified for a final. That's questionable for Nia because on the season she got kicked off, which I believe was season 26 Exes 2, she would have had to go into elimination one last time before actually qualifying for the final. Nia and Leroy would have had to go against Nany and Johnny. She got kicked off the show before that last elimination happened, and was replaced with Theresa. Theresa and Leroy competed in that last elimination and won.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

I question Nia as a casting choice also because TJ said the cast is people who have made it or qualified for a final. That's questionable for Nia because on the season she got kicked off, which I believe was season 26 Exes 2, she would have had to go into elimination one last time before actually qualifying for the final. Nia and Leroy would have had to go against Nany and Johnny. She got kicked off the show before that last elimination happened, and was replaced with Theresa. Theresa and Leroy competed in that last elimination and won.

Good catch!

32 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

Three people who I honestly believe will never win the game... especially Nelson.

They are some of the last of a dying tribe, people from MTV shows.

Much as I don't like those guys, they're preferable to the unknown Euro-players who either don't seem comfortable with the language or who hail from cultures where being a camera whore and running your mouth for attention is frowned upon.   It doesn't make for very good reality television.  This is why I'm thankful for All-Stars.  It's original recipe, although somewhat toned down.

Nia said on a recent podcast that she would not have agreed to do the show if Jordan was not on.  She said they both have grown so much over the years and become so close that she hated that he has lost opportunities due to social media posting stuff out of context that he said or did years ago that he has learned and grown from.

Who knows if that is true as Nia has been known to stretch the truth before but they are clearly close now and I do believe that she was done with the show unless Jordan could be with her.

He may very well have said the same thing. The only thing I do know is Jordan has said he will not do any season that Tori Deal is on.

I'll sit at my table of 1 for people who are still enjoying this. I think it's mixing up enough old school players with some slightly newer ones to keep a good balance. I do agree that the challenges should be less "challenging", both for entertainment purposes, and due to the fact that people 35+ cannot bounce back like they used to. 

• Love 2