Type keyword(s) to search

Toonami: Anime for Insomniacs

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Apparently, we’ll be getting the four-episode Uzumaki sometime next year.

You mean to tell me some anime studio deliberately adapted that mind-fuck of a manga?!?

Oh well, could be worse.  Could have been The Enigma of Amigara Fault.

...I've just jinxed the universe into making that happen, haven't I?

• Love 1

Two things:

1. This Saturday returns the return of One-Punch Man and the debut of Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba.

2. The week after that? Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind arrives. Needless to say, I am amped as fuck for that.

I am so incredibly glad that One Punch Man is back. The recent Toonami lineup has had more than the usual number of "I'll watch it just because I have nothing better to do" shows*, so it's nice to have a major upgrade in quality.

One show that I have been enjoying is MSG: The Origin. I didn't see any need for discussion since much of it was rehash, but the shiny new 3D combined with the old school look of the characters was neat. Plus it was a nice summary of all the important background stuff, including just exactly how Char became a manipulative bastard and why.

* By which I mean Fire Force, Dr Stone, and Food Wars. Lupin I won't watch at all.

On 11/10/2019 at 1:51 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

Boruto got booted?

I'm sure it's temporary. There are a lot of episodes out there, and I think it's still airing in Japan. Then again, that's the case with One Piece, and we haven't seen that on Toonami in a while.

Heads up: Food Wars! marathon runs on November 30, just in time for Thanksgiving leftovers. I wonder what Soma could do with turkey. Do they even have turkeys in Japan?

11 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Do they even have turkeys in Japan?

Not really.  That's why KFC is a big deal in Japan at Christmas.  Practically every one has reservations booked solid for that day.

Free streaming channel Pluto TV has a bunch of anime series that have previously shown on Toonami like Death Note and Bleach, along with some current series like OPM and Naruto. If you like Old School, they have two classic Leiji Matsumoto series, Captain Harlock and Galaxy Express 999. Most annoying thing is you can't get rid of their video pop up, and paging through everything to see what's there.

New schedule for 2020

11:00 PM - My Hero Academia Season 4

11:30 PM - Dr. Stone

12:00 AM - One-Punch Man Season 2

12:30 AM - Fire Force

1:00 AM - Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma

1:30 AM - Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba

2:00 AM - Black Clover

2:30 AM - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind

3:00 AM - Naruto: Shippuden

3:30 AM - The Promised Neverland

4:00 AM - Attack on Titan

Bit disappointed no Mob 2 or the back half of Alicization.

Apparently, One-Punch Man's run is done on Toonami. The replacement: Sword Art Online: Alicization War of Underworld. And it looks like the women will be kicking some ass this time . . . at least until Kirito remembers that he's the protagonist.

Also, I'm thinking that we'll be getting the second season of Mob Psycho 100 soon.

On 1/5/2020 at 9:17 PM, Sandman87 said:

Haven't been able to watch Toonami for the last month. Probably won't be able to for at least a couple more weeks. Bummer.

Take your time. The episodes are probably easy to find, even even if you can't get back to Toonami right away.

Reminder: Toonami block now starts at 11:30 beginning this Saturday. The finale for Dr. Stone airs this week, then My Hero Academia moves into that slot.

I heard that the larger block was too expensive for Adult Swim to keep. Why is that? I don't know anything about the economics of the television industry.

So is it that more episodes haven't been made of OPM, Fire Force, and Dr. Stone yet that they are all gone? I liked all three of those shows. At least MHA is still there, but I wonder if they'll re-run the show when they finish the new season or take it off, too?

22 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

So is it that more episodes haven't been made of OPM, Fire Force, and Dr. Stone yet that they are all gone? I liked all three of those shows. At least MHA is still there, but I wonder if they'll re-run the show when they finish the new season or take it off, too?

I think all three will have new seasons. I know Dr. Stone has been confirmed for a second season. Also, I’d expect we’d see the second season of Mob Psycho 100 in the near future.

(edited)
On 8/31/2019 at 2:05 AM, SVNBob said:

You mean to tell me some anime studio deliberately adapted that mind-fuck of a manga?!?

Oh well, could be worse.  Could have been The Enigma of Amigara Fault.

...I've just jinxed the universe into making that happen, haven't I?

From your fingertips to God’s eyes, I hope that happens if the Uzumaki anime is good.

And WHEN are we getting a premiere date for Uzumaki??? I am impatiently waiting for it.

Edited by Automne
4 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Next week is a random DBZ Kai marathon, according to my DVR. I wonder if whatever they planned to show new is hung up by the shutdown and they need to start stretching things out.

Uzumaki is still on track however.

It's Easter on Sunday so generally they do a marathon around a holiday. 

But I know a few of the shows are running low on dubs.  My Hero is currently on hiatus after the next episode, episode 83.  Food Wars has the rest of the season dubbed (although only 1 episode left in season 2, no idea if any of season 3 is dubbed, it's not on Hulu).  Black Clover has like 11 episodes left.  No idea on JoJo's or Demon Slayer.  

3 hours ago, Matt K said:

It's Easter on Sunday so generally they do a marathon around a holiday. 

And who better for an Easter marathon than a guy who's also been resurrected... multiple times.

• Love 1

Good one!

BNHA just finished airing season 4 which concludes at episode 88. Season 5 was announced but who knows if they had even started production. SAO is almost over too. Golden Wind has :checks: 39 episodes so that should be OK. Maybe they will finally give us Mob Psycho season 2? Or they could bring back Boruto, that should have dozens of dubbed episodes in the can.

Toonami returns the week after the DBZA marathon . . . and it's been shortened to a three-hour block. Apparently, SAO wrapped up. I have no clue what happens when DSKNY wraps up.

On 4/8/2020 at 1:58 AM, Lantern7 said:

Toonami returns the week after the DBZA marathon . . . and it's been shortened to a three-hour block. Apparently, SAO wrapped up. I have no clue what happens when DSKNY wraps up.

I really hope they go with Mob Psycho 100 season 2 to replace Demon Slayer.  It's only 13 episodes (so not a long commitment and 14 episodes if you include the OVA), it's already dubbed and it's an amazing show.  Season 2 was so good and honestly, pushed the series into the top spots of my favorite shows of all time.  

Edited by Matt K

Replacement for Food Wars! has been announced, and it's an odd choice.

I ask those who already watched that anime: is the OP music in your head? Don't tell me I'm alone on that. 😛

Edited by Lantern7

I've actually been thinking the last few weeks that Paranoia Agent is the perfect show for the state the world's in right now. Looking forward to re-watching. Too bad all our in-depth discussion from TWOP is gone into the ether.

Hey, at least it's not he umpteenth repeat of FLCL.

Toonami offers a March Madness-style bracketed tournament. I'm not sure if this will be done to the end, or if it's merely meant for fans to argue over. Basically, it's 64 series that have aired on Toonami. And some of the stuff is old school. Teen Titans, The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest, Zatch Bell, Transformers Armada . . .

Apparently, any anime that aired on Adult Swim wasn't elligible.

Megas XLR. They remembered Megas XLR. Man, that takes me back. You know Evangelion? Imagine a Shinji that got in the damn robot. Fuck, imagine a Shinji that got in the damn robot and operated it out of a car he fused to it.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

MegasXLR is one of the all time great robot shows. Great VAs, great music (naturally, since it was produced by WB), likable hero with a snarky sidekick. And that theme song! I wanted a full length version of that song.

So many great moments in that show too.

• Love 1

Update: Demon Slayer will be replaced by Mob Psycho 100.

The first season.

The best rationale I can think of is that Toonami is putting up 13-episode seasons of stuff that has aired in the past before "premiering" more recent material.

In case you didn't hear: Toonami will be rerunning last week's episode of My Hero Academia tomorrow night. My guess is that Funimation had trouble dubbing the episodes, since it's being done from homes now. Here's the post from Facebook:

On 5/9/2020 at 3:01 AM, Lantern7 said:

In case you didn't hear: Toonami will be rerunning last week's episode of My Hero Academia tomorrow night. My guess is that Funimation had trouble dubbing the episodes, since it's being done from homes now. Here's the post from Facebook:

Makes sense, episode 86 only just had the dub released yesterday.  

(edited)

I made a table on the remaining number of episodes for each anime currently on Toonami.

image.png.f9a9774743899eec0012c883bf8bc16f.png

With MHA suspended for now, CN/[as]/Toonami has time to look for new anime . . . or grab some old stuff from the archive and slap it on the schedule.

ETA: The number for each anime is from after tomorrow night.

Edited by Lantern7

Here's an announcement from Toonami about another anime getting delayed by COVID-19.

I don't get why another season of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure isn't plugged into the slot. Fuck it, give fans a few choices and have them vote on what gets aired. Also: why not just move Shippuden to 2?

If you've never seen Ballmastrz 9009? It's meh. Okay sometimes, didn't hit its stride until the second season, but that might not be enough for newcomers.

Oh, and I'm guessing Black Clover will be the next casualty.