Type keyword(s) to search

Toonami: Anime for Insomniacs

• Start Topic

(edited)

I’ll submit a request for a MHA forum. I’ll leave you with the following: “To inherit my power, you have to swallow some of my DNA! That’s how it works!” Thanks for that image, All Might!!

ETA: Speaking of, I like All Might. My initial impression from seeing clips a while back was that he'd be Blonde Mr. Satan, but he's more along the lines of Might Guy and Armstrong . . . he loks like he'd be obnoxious, but you'd want him battling by your side, even with the over-emoting.

Edited by Lantern7

So, Pop Team Epic is arriving at the end of the month.  It'll be taking over for Dragon Ball Z Kai but it'll air at midnight (My Hero and FLCL will fill the earlier spots).  The show isn't great but there are only 12 episodes.  

So they're airing the half hour version which I don't think is a good idea.  The show is effectively 10 min of mini segments (think Robot Chicken) which are not all that funny for the most part.  The other thing they do, which is how we get a half hour program, is they effectively show the episode twice.  Once with male voice actors and once with female voice actors and besides using different voice actors there are few if any differences between the two halves (they do use a new voice cast every episode so there are a lot of recognizable voices). 

I watched the first 7 or 8 episodes dubbed.  I kept hoping it would get better but the only interesting thing they did was Hellshake Yano (which to be fair was really neat but you can look it up on YouTube as what makes it neat is the visuals they use).  I didn't watch both halves, just the first one to come on (which almost always was the female voice actors) so what I know of the lack of differences comes from people I know who watched both halves. 

(edited)

I’m thinking Toonami is spinning plates before bringing out a huge hit. Is Pop Team Epic more comedy than action? It sounds like broad, non-subtle stuff, but it would be nice to have a few more options for shows. I enjoyed Shin Chan, even with the obvious liberties taken. “It’s like the spotlight dance at Comic-Con!” “I like to pretend the pigs are Nazis.”

ETA: Attack on Titan isn't airing new episodes in Japan yet, right? I know that will air ASAP, along with One-Punch Man. And, once again, why not One Piece? Yes, I can get the DVDs from the library, but I suck at sitting down and watching. The DVDs are up to Fishman Island, which is post-timeskip, and that's a long way from where Toonami decided to cut things short.

Edited by Lantern7
(edited)

There are so many good shows they can choose from.  Mob Psycho 10 is less than a year old and only 12 episodes.  Psycho Pass isn't that old and has 33 episodes.  Assassination Classroom isn't that old either although it does have 47 episodes.  For older stuff there's The Devil is a Part Timer which is only 13 episodes.  There's also original Dragon Ball or YuYu Hakusho or Slayers for longer running stuff.  Scrapped Princess is shorter but pretty good.  All of which are already dubbed.

I'm hoping they're just waiting for some of the new shows to finish up,  Hinamatsuri is a great show having both comedy and heart but it is sort of a slice of life (it's reminds me a lot of the relationship between 11 and the Sheriff on Stranger Things, just minus the people out for her and all the other drama).  Both Lupin III: Part V and Megalobox seem just up Toonami's alley but havn't finished up yet.   

Edited by Matt K

What do you get when you take a bad 4-koma comic that references all the Japanese tropes and turn it into a bad anime? Now I know the answer: Pop Team Epic. And the opening credit bait-and-switch gag was too obvious.

I need to watch Spelunker Sensei again to remind me that this sort of thing can be done well.

Pop Team Epic does have its moments but they are few and far between.  Also repeating the same gag but with new VO makes it even worse.  They really should have gone with something else.

It looks like we have 1 episode left of FLCL and JoJo has 6 episodes.  FLCL season 3 seemingly isn't airing until September so I have no idea what's going to replace it (unless they just repeat this season).  I assume we'll be getting the next season of JoJo (which is currently the last one produced).

@Matt K . . . Hm. Well, my guess is that FLCL Progressive gets rerun at least once, and probably pushed past midnight. Maybe a marathon of the first two seasons on Labor Day weekend? Also, like I've said on the JBA forums, I don't think "Diamond is Unbreakable" has been officially dubbed into English. My hope is that we'd get a subtitled version, though I would suspect that would get shoved towards the end of the block . . . if Toonami does that at all, which I doubt. Also, Space Dandy is near the end of its run.

I'm still hoping for the return of One Piece. I can get the episodes on DVD from the library, but I seldom sit around to watch. Attack on Titan is a given, though I don't think the third season has aired in Japan yet. Ditto the second season of One-Punch Man, which is where Mob Psycho 100 would fill the void. And, once again, "slice of life" anime probably wouldn't be considered, even with the extreme tangents in animation seen in Nichijou.

Wait, so Pop Team Epic is basically two episodes, both the same, only with different voice actors? After last night, I think it's too "inside joke" for me.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Wait, so Pop Team Epic is basically two episodes, both the same, only with different voice actors?

Yeah, although one of the skits repeated during both segments, with the second being a different animation style. The same skit four times!

Maybe a marathon of the first two seasons on Labor Day weekend

If Toonami absolutely has to screw up the schedule for holidays, I'd much prefer that they show anime movies, or even live action movies based on anime. Or OVAs. Or anything other than wasting an entire week's block on reruns.

As far as I know AoT 3 and OPM 2 are both currently in production. I expect Toonami will get them after they're broadcast in Japan but I don't see it until 2019. Gun Gale Online, the spinoff arc of SAO maybe? There's a bunch more Gundams they haven't gotten to yet as well.

Well, I did not see this coming.

. . . and I just realize that "Bizzare" is spelled wrong. No matter. We got 39 more episodes of bizarre adventures which will no doubt be differently bizarre than the other three volumes. Should be fun!

So I was right.  Looking forward to it.  This season wasn't my favorite but when it was good it was good.  So I'm looking forward to a nice change of pace.

(edited)

Well, at least the opening credits for Pop Team Epic are "lit."

Just checked next week's schedule. FLCL: Progressive is still at 11:30, and they'll be rerunning it from the start.

ETA: I can guess the scheduling. FLCL runs again, then we get a marathon on Labor Day weekend, probably with the original series. And then, we get Alternative. I still have the subtitled episode on DVR.

Edited by Lantern7

I gave Pop Team Epic one and done. Not funny, not clever, and repeating the skits with different gender VAs brings nothing.

Either they've been secretly dubbing Jojo for a while now or there's going to be a frantic rush to get it done on time.

• Love 1

I never really understood why Pop Team Epic did the repeating thing.  It may have been a network thing, but there are Anime that are just 10 min including Space Ship Tiramisu which just finished airing (so its not just older shows).  But I think what hurts it the most is the double episodes.  If you didn't care for the first 10 min or so, then there's no reasons to watch the rest.  And even if you like the first half, seeing the same skits repeated isn't going to be as funny the second time around.  It also makes little sense to show this on Toonami.  Toonami is almost exclusively action cartoons so a comedy show makes little sense.  

. . . and the hits just keep on comin'.

So I guess this is a DBZK/DBS situation, where we're not going to wait for one series to end before the other is aired. Oh, and if case you didn't see it, here's a trailer for FLCL: Alternative.

I wonder what time slots AoT and Boruto are getting.  Pop Team Epic doesn't appear to be over until September, so it would have to be moved for AoT to take over.  But Boruto could take its spot since it appears to be right after Pop Team Epic would end. 

Also AoT is supposed to be 24 episodes, so it also couldn't take over for FLCL (unless the move time slots as well).  They could hiatus My Hero since we're close to the end of the first season (so the timing would work), but that would be kind of silly as season 2 has long been dubbed.  JoJo is also almost at its season end so maybe it'll take over before we go into the next season.

I just wish they'd move Hunter x Hunter earlier.  I'm glad they move it to 1am but it'd be nicer if it swapped time slots with say Pop Team Epic. 

I'm amazed; tonight's Pop Team Epic actually managed to amuse me for a moment during the teaser. The footage of the water & boats was a reference to the infamous "Nice Boat" that replaced the final episode of School Days during its initial run in Japan. And I'm not sure, but I think the music they were playing was from the first Mickey Mouse cartoon, "Steamboat Willie."

Saw Toonami’s “Pre-Flight.” Well, I jumped around. They debuted new trailers for Attack on Titan and Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable. I’m guessing those trailers will air tomorrow night. Also, Toonami will be starting at 10 p.m. with those two series, at least for August 18 & 25. In addition, the rerun FLCL ends  on the 18th, so that slot will be filled by another AoT episode on August 25.

ETA for @Sandman87 . . . I wasn’t paying attention. “Nice Boat”? And is Ghost Stories the anime where the cast said “fuck it” and went goofy?

Edited by Lantern7
54 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

ETA for @Sandman87 . . . I wasn’t paying attention. “Nice Boat”?

Explanation: School Days is an anime based on a visual novel, and for some reason the producers decided to give the anime the absolute worst ending that a player could get. As a result the last episode was...bloody, and also was unfortunately reminiscent of a murder that had taken place in real life a day or two before the episode was scheduled to air. Instead of running the episode, the network ran a half-hour documentary about Norwegian fjords, and someone at 4chan created the "NICE BOAT" meme from a screen-shot of it.

Now you know...and knowing is half the battle!

On 8/3/2018 at 11:59 PM, Sandman87 said:

Explanation: School Days is an anime based on a visual novel, and for some reason the producers decided to give the anime the absolute worst ending that a player could get. As a result the last episode was...bloody, and also was unfortunately reminiscent of a murder that had taken place in real life a day or two before the episode was scheduled to air. Instead of running the episode, the network ran a half-hour documentary about Norwegian fjords, and someone at 4chan created the "NICE BOAT" meme from a screen-shot of it.

Now you know...and knowing is half the battle!

Shit. In my head, I get School Days and Ghost Stories mixed up. I've heard of the former and what happened to the protagonist.

I liked the DiU trailer. Kinda wish it could be explained why everyone is dressed goofy. Well, slightly more goofy than the other chapters.

ETA: "You know what's missing in my life? A Hikaru no Go spoof!! Thanks, Pop Team Epic!!!!"

Edited by Lantern7

That schedule kind of sucks.  I have to wait a full hour between My Hero and Dragon Ball Super (which I'm kind of loosing interest in anyhow).  The I have a half hour of downtime until JoJo (I don't watch AoT) and then another half hour between JoJo and HxH (seriously, why bother moving Black Clover up a time slot, it didn't seem to do well the last time it had an earlier time slot).  I've never seen any Naruto, but I might check out Boruto (aka Naruto's Son, child of Boruto's Dad) as it was recomended by a YT I like (Gigguk) but with this much down time it'll have to hook me within the first few episodes (and there's no way I'm bothering getting into Shippuden at this late stage). 

PTE is off the schedule. Yay!

3 hours ago, Matt K said:

(and there's no way I'm bothering getting into Shippuden at this late stage). 

At this late stage? We're only 218 episodes into it. The series isn't even half over yet.

Edited by Sandman87
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Sandman87 said:

I dunno. Don't know anything about Boruto. Is it still about Naruto chasing Sasuke all over the place, or about something else?

It’s basically Naruto: The Next Generation, with the knucklehead as a grown Hokage, and most of the cast married off to each other with kids.

Here's a trailer. I honestly thought it wouldn't have popped up until tomorrow night.

Boruto is Naruto's kid, BTW. I'm thinking that when you first see that name, you think "Borat." "Here's my Sexy Jutsu. Is nice, yah??"

Once again, new lineup starts tonight.

9:00 PM Dragon Ball Z Kai (from the very beginning. Great that nobody's abridging GT, but I question the need. Also, note the start time)

09:30 PM My Hero Academia (new time, moving back 30 minutes)

10:00 PM Naruto: Shippuden (moved from 2 a.m.)

10:30 PM Boruto: Naruto Next Generations (spoilers for Shippuden!)

11:00 PM Dragon Ball Super

11:30 PM FLCL: Alternative

12:00 AM Attack on Titan

12:30 AM JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable

01:00 AM Black Clover

01:30 AM Hunter x Hunter

02:00 AM One-Punch Man (moved from the end of the block)

02:30 AM Lupin The 3rd Part 4 (they're coming to the end of "reruns" for this, right? Like I've said, lots of fun, but I get why it doesn't get the love here)

03:00 AM Cowboy Bebop

03:30 AM Samurai Jack (from the very beginning, not the final season)

And if you still want fun, The Boondocks and Black Dynamite run back-to-back afterward. Both episodes from first seasons, so they're pretty good.