Type keyword(s) to search

Toonami: Anime for Insomniacs

• Start Topic

Well, I'm out. Asta is just too annoying. Even though he's the same kind of scrappy, loud orphan trying to prove himself like Naruto I find I just can't tolerate it for this character. It's a cookie cutter shonen series, so I can pretty well guess what happens. If I really want to know, I'll look through the manga. Asta has got to be less obnoxious when I don't have to hear him.

26 episodes of OS. According to wikipedia we're at #22. Unless they skip it, next week should be the Hot Springs episode. That's the one they didn't air when Toonami was on in the daytime because of all the fanservice.

So yes, they did air the hot springs episode of OS. It's kind of important, despite all the stupidity, because of those rare shells he picked up. And the pirate assassin with the claws reminded me of Hei from Darker Than Black because of the mask he's wearing.

Cowboy Bebop: I hadn't noticed it previously, but the stuff Ed brought out on the tray for Jet and the feng-shui girl was the strange "souvenirs" that they picked up when they were on earth trying to catch Ed.

Aisha doesn't have nipples. Okay . . . ?

Heads up: "Cowboy Funk" airs from Cowboy Bebop tonight. I reckon this is the last of the truly goofy episodes . . . an out-and-out farce where Spike has to deal with somebody as obnoxious as he is. Also: a mad bomber with teddy bears.

(edited)
8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Aisha doesn't have nipples. Okay . . . ?

I think she got Barbie-dolled for the US broadcast. I'll have to go dig out the subtitled version to check on it.

ETA: Yes, the censors stole her nipples.

Edited by Sandman87

Found this on Toonami's Facebook. In case the link doesn't work: Toonami will be making an announcement regarding FLCL next week.

ETA: I think Outlaw Star wraps up tonight. Next week has two Cowboy Bebop episodes, and I suspect that's the end as well. Anybody hear as to what would replace them? The week after is the night before Easter, so I'm thinking "marathon."

ETA2: Right, that would technically be April Fool's morning, so anything could happen.

Edited by Lantern7

Anybody wondering if Toonami will have April Fool's hinjinks?

Also: I have one more volume of Assassination Classroom to read. The anime should be picked up here. There's a good chance I'll be okay with whatever Toonami picks up down the line, but a story about a weird tentacled creature teaching the kids that are trying to kill him? It's actually pretty deep.

(edited)

It looks like they are showing the sub of the new FLCL,  Kind of sucks since I was looking forward to Hunter X Hunter and I haven't gotten around to watching the original FLCL (only saw an episode when they aired it last).

Edited by Matt K
(edited)

So it looks like a different show at each time slot.   It appears they are all going to be in Japanese  with English subtitles. 

Edited by Matt K
(edited)

@Matt K . . . I deduced as much. Hence the link to the Toonami site, where there’s a schedule. In kanji. Another question: will of the new stuff be scheduled for Toonami down the line? Aside from FLCL, which will air its new edition in May.

ETA: I think a new HxH airs at 3:15.

ETA2: Here’s the IMDB entry. It’s a movie. The shows on the schedule are on irregualr times, so it looks like I’m recording everything before CN starts up again.

Edited by Lantern7

This sucks.  I guess I'll have to watch Hunter x Hunter and JoJo's later in the week.  Those people who didn't know they were still going to air the new episodes after are going to be pissed next week, I know I would be. 

(edited)

The new FLCL looks even more slice-of-life-ish than the original, like they're doing a crossover with K-On!

Struggling to stay awake during Mind Game.

ETA: "This story has never ended." Yeah, no kidding.

Edited by Sandman87
(edited)

Just looked at the schedule again. I looked up the kanji for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and it matched what I saw on the website. I think this is what we get starting at 2:45:

245: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

3:15: Hunter X Hunter (the repeating characters and "X" give it away)

3:45: Naruto Shippuden (what crossed me up is that the time listed is "1:30." Also, is this where we finally break out of the filler?)

4:15: Space Dandy (turns out there's a star in the kanji, and you can see Dandy in the background)

4:45: Cowboy Bebop (it wrapped up last week, so I'm getting we'll be getting "Asteroid Blues")

5:15: Ghost In The Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG ("2nd GIG" is there, so that's a no-brainer)

5:45: [No fucking clue. I'm looking at this site and the schedule, and I can't get the stuff to match. All I got is "久力," which is spelled in "kuriki" in English, and that translates to "Kumi."]

[Hang on . . . clicked the title, and it lead to something called "Scavengers." I put it in the translator, and the kanji matches]

Oh, and the other big question is if the rest of the schedule is subbed or dubbed.

ETA: Subs!! As good as Richard Epcar is at playing out Joseph Joestar's extreme reactions, I reckon the original might be a bit better. "OH MY GAAAAWWWWWWDDDD!!!!!!"

Edited by Lantern7
16 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

The new FLCL looks even more slice-of-life-ish than the original, like they're doing a crossover with K-On!

Struggling to stay awake during Mind Game.

ETA: "This story has never ended." Yeah, no kidding.

I honestly didn't care for it.  Not weird enough.

I was somehow worried to be watching Alternative before Progressive, but I guess I didn’t need to be.  

I’m digging the girl-squad vibe so far.  Seems like we’re still going to be a coming of age thing.  

(edited)

Looks like there's going to be a bit of tweaking in the lineup. Here's this Saturday:

10:30p – Dragon Ball Super
11:00p – Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters
11:30p – Countdown / Scavengers
12:00a – JoJo: Stardust Crusaders
12:30a – Gundam: IBO
1:00a – Black Clover
1:30a – Hunter x Hunter
2:00a – Naruto: Shippuden
2:30a – Space Dandy
3:00a – Cowboy Bebop
3:30a – Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd GIG

On April 14, FLCL will squeeze into the 11:30 slot with its first season. I've guessing the second edition starts six weeks after that, and I should request a forum. Any suggestions for thread titles?

Also, I recorded Mind Game, but I might need to erase it for the room.

ETA: The Adult Swim site doesn't have its Toonami block up for this Saturday, so I don't know if the episodes that "debuted" last Saturday -- Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Hunter x Hunter, Naruto Shippuden -- will reair dubbed in English.

Edited by Lantern7
4 hours ago, SVNBob said:

The Music thread maybe should be Ride On Shooting Star.  Season 1 could instead be Little Busters.  Or "Nothing ever happens here..."

Edited; good call with the former, while the latter I retitled “A Boy, A Girl, And Her Vespa.”

Toonami schedule for this Saturday is up.

10:30 PM Dragon Ball Super Zamasu and Black - The Duo's Mystery Deepens TV-14 L

11:00 PM Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters Earth Destroyed! The Initial Buu's Nefarious Strike! TV-14 DLV

11:30 PM Toonami Countdown Countdown Supercut

11:45 PM Scavengers Scavengers TV-PG

12:00 AM JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Bast's Mariah Part 2 TV-MA V

12:30 AM Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Scapegoat TV-14 L

01:00 AM Black Clover Destroyer TV-PG V

01:30 AM Hunter x Hunter Interest x and x Curse TV-14 V

02:00 AM Naruto:Shippuden The Sixth Hokage Danzo TV-PG

02:30 AM Space Dandy There's Always Tomorrow, BabyTV-14 DL

03:00 AM Cowboy Bebop Asteroid Blues TV-14 LV

03:30 AM Ghost in The Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG Fabricate FogTV-14 V

I'm guessing that the stuff that was shown with the original audio last weekend will be rerun in English, while the stuff that got cut moves on.

I’m glad to see I didn’t miss anything on April 1.  I DVR the whole thing since I can’t stay awake for three hours of TV any more, and usually find out about schedule changes the next day.  

I notice my cable co. didn’t have the April 1 listed episodes available, so figured they didn’t count as aired.  

I liked Mind Game by the end, but the first part kinda dragged.  It reminded me of Ulysses - just a day in the life of a kind of nebbishy dude.  

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Alert:  My Hero Academia debuts on May 5, and Toonami says they got all three seasons.

ETA: Tumblr post

Damn, that's a good get.  Not surprised by having all three seasons as season three is currently being dubbed.  They might even get season 4 by the time they get there.

ETA: Here's the new schedule.  https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-04-19/my-hero-academia-to-air-on-toonami/.130595

Thankfully HunterXHunter is back to 1am, Black Clover got shunted to 1:30.  The 10:30-1am block is really solid (although I've recently watched FLCL and My Hero so I may not re-watch).

Edited by Matt K
8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Alert:  My Hero Academia debuts on May 5, and Toonami says they got all three seasons

I hope it's better than the description makes it sound.

On an unrelated note; I finally got around to watching Strait Jacket, and it looks exactly like the kind of thing Toonami could use if they ever need to fill 90 minutes.

Having seen both seasons of My Hero Academia, it's really good.  It's nothing ground breaking but what it does, it does really well.  It's all of the good stuff of a Shonen series (as opposed to Black Clover which I hear takes most of the worst from the genre).  Season 2 has one of my favorite tournament arcs.  Also while most of the other students seem like seat fillers at first, the show does a good job of giving each at least some time to shine.  And it seems like the series does want to flesh them out as the series goes on.  The other nice thing about the show is that it's not about escalating power levels like in Dragon Ball.  Instead its all about out thinking the opponent i.e. creative uses of power, playing to the opponent's weaknesses, etc which is nice.  So the main "power up" is getting more experience both as a hero and with one's powers.  And this allows for the heroes to sometimes fail or nearly fail which again is a nice change of pace.

@Matt K . . . maybe you could help set up forum titles. I can’t think on those. “It’s Not ‘My Hero Macadamia’!” doesn’t really work anywhere.

ETA: Were there any ads for My Hero Academia last night?

Edited by Lantern7
On 4/21/2018 at 9:50 PM, Lantern7 said:

@Matt K . . . maybe you could help set up forum titles. I can’t think on those. “It’s Not ‘My Hero Macadamia’!” doesn’t really work anywhere.

ETA: Were there any ads for My Hero Academia last night?

Sorry, coming up with titles is not really my forte.  

(edited)

Saw My Hero Academia tonight. I'll understand if any of you guys are skeptical, given the tropes are somewhat thick. Basically, Izuku Midoriya is a hapless fanboy who eats shit from people (one in particular) about wanting to apply for the Xavier Institute U.A. High School for aspiring superheroes. This being anime, the poor bastard is part of the one-fifth of the world's population that doesn't possess "quirks." Basically like Asta, only he has more company. And he's probably less yell-y. Anyway, he gets assaulted by a monster, and winds up being saved by All Might, the greatest great great great hero.

From what I understand, the series slowly builds to something great. There's going to be a FLCL marathon on Memorial Day weekend, so I'll watch the  next few episodes before requesting a forum.

ETA: Here are the credits, soon to be shortened by Toonami.

Edited by Lantern7

Like I said, I heard it gets better. Also. Midoriya is not Asta. Isn’t that worth something?

Curious about any rumors of anime on deck. Dragon Ball Z Kai is approaching the end of its run.

I was surprised how slow the first episode of My Hero was.  Looking it up, next episode kind of picks up and episode 4 is where it really gets going (and it isn't until episode 5 when we actually get to the school setting which kind of is a lot of episodes).  I also had a few friends who bounced off season 1 but got hooked on season 2, so it might be worth checking back in later.

I watched the show a good couple episodes at a time (and Funimation still has them up if anyone wanted to skip ahead with this English dub) which did alleviate the slowness at the start.  But I completely understand, it might not be for everyone.

(edited)

Any word on lineup shuffling? I think the second Ghost In The Shell anime finished on Saturday, but I'd expect CN/[as]/Toonami would rerun the first season. Same thing happened with Cowboy Bebop. Closer to midnight, Dragon Ball Z Kai is running out of episodes, and I don't think Dragon Ball GT would get the abridged treatment. Nobody want to go on the "Grand Tour, Grand Tour." Also, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is entering the home stretch, and I don't think the fourth version -- "Diamond Is Unbreakable" -- has been dubbed.

ERA: Ghost in the Shell gets replaced by Lupin the 3rd Part IV starting June 2. Not too bad in my eyes. I can get not being into the anime or the dub, but I was good with it.

Edited by Lantern7

So it seems like FLCL season 2 is probably taking over season1's spot on June 2.  That'll be nice as I can just go from Super straight through to Hunter x Hunter (assuming my newborn lets me).