Type keyword(s) to search

Deep Water (2022)

• Start Topic

I literally started this topic because I am so, so, so confused by some of the choices made in this movie, and I'm looking for other poor souls who made the mistake of watching it, to discuss.  Misery loves company. 😂

Ending the movie with an adorable child adorably singing and dancing in her car seat over the end credits was ... an extremely strange choice for a brooding, erotic thriller.  Like -- WHAT?   

Vic and his wife being such tedious bores did not help this movie.  She's an annoying, lazy, cheating, drunken slob.  He's straight up nuts ... but somehow still completely boring. 

Did Vic seriously pour his 6 year old kid an entire tumbler of wine to drink?  

What the hell was the point of the snails?  

Also ...

Spoiler

The one really good sequence -- Vic killing boyfriend no. 3 at the gorge -- would have been so much better if they'd made that the big twist or surprise moment, letting us think Vic was actually innocent up until then, and not showing us the flashback yet to the killing in the pool.  

The neighbor finding Vic trying to re-hide the body ... complete moron.  I should feel bad for him, except he was just too stupid.  Call the cops on speaker, idiot, don't die trying to text "I was right!" to your wife while driving through trees.  How did they allow this to stay in the script???

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

IMDB has this rated at a 5 which i think is kinda harsh.   It was hardly perfect but it kept me entertained.   Maybe because I like this kind of movie as much as I like horror and action movies (my two favorite movie genres).  This was a really good psychological thriller about a twisted marriage.  The ending worked for me because Melinda complained that Vic didn't have any passion and that is what she was looking for in her side dudes.  Passion.   And what is more passionate then a husband that will kill your side dudes?   

The daughter was fun as well.  But both parents deserve to be in prison for naming her Trixie.

• Love 1

Regarding the ending credits, I feel like they thought, "hey, she's the best part of this mess of a movie, let's end with her!"

I was disturbed by how

Spoiler

weirdly erotic Ben was with the snails. He looked more turned on by that than Ana giving him a blowie in the car. 

I was hoping they were carnivorous snails that consumed the bodies.

Also yeah, did he give that child alcohol like "no big deal." WTF? 

This film needed to be much weirder or more straight forward. It splatted somewhere in the middle and was just dull.

• Love 5

I certainly expected more from this movie.  We knew that Vic was killing Melinda's men very early; we knew that Melinda was going for every man who caught her eye very early.  No twists, nothing unexpected.  The only mystery in the whole thing was what the snails had to do with anything.  There was no one to like or care about except the little girl who was asking questions way to old for her.  I stayed with it to the end expecting that something would happen to justify watching and nothing...

• Love 7

Omg, was this movie terrible or what?  I can’t recall disliking one more.  The only good thing imo was Trixie, the daughter.  She was adorable!  Best wishes for her in the future.  Acting is often a hard road for kids, though.  

• Love 8

I didn’t realize that Ben Affleck and the actress playing his wife were actually in a relationship after they filmed that movie, until after I watched it.  I’m not a Big Ben fan, so I didn’t pay attention to who he’s dating. Lol. Her role in that movie made me dislike her.  She seems like she would really be like that character.  Lol

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

Just watched this and it wasn’t great. I hated the wife and couldn’t believe anyone would openly  kiss and hang on other men in front of their husband. The little girl was cute but talked like an adult at times and what the hell with giving her wine. I didn’t get the symbolism of the snails at all and kept waiting for some kind of twist.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Omg, was this movie terrible or what?  I can’t recall disliking one more.  The only good thing imo was Trixie, the daughter.  She was adorable!  Best wishes for her in the future.  Acting is often a hard road for kids, though.  

This movie reminded me of another movie, which I hated, “Closer”.  Every time Vic and Melinda had one of their tedious “sexy” conversations about jealousy or passion, or a sex scene, that’s the movie I thought of … Julia Roberts and co. droning on and on about their dysfunction and cheating until I wanted to slap everyone. 
Here, again, the couple’s awfulness — and thinking that torturing each other somehow makes them fascinating or passionate — makes the whole thing decidedly NOT sexy to me.  

This movie at least had some unintentional comedy, and was way more interesting than “Closer” — but still.  What an annoying, baffling movie.

Spoiler

I guess Vic and Melinda both got off on the cycle of cheating, then Vic killing out of jealousy.  the movie could’ve at least hidden it better for the first half, then really leaned into the fact that this couple is insane at the very end.  

• Love 4

Yeah, it was disgusting to watch the husband somehow get turned on by his wife insulting him and having sex with other men right in his face.  She seemed detached from him, the kid and life itself.  Definitely, not a safe place for a kid.  

Husband didn’t wear proper cycling gear or clothing.  Was that on purpose?  

I think they will catch the husband though, because wasn’t that last guy he killed typing what he found out on his phone before the crash?  If the phone held up, that text should still be there, even if it wasn’t yet sent.  And, wouldn’t the wife’s scarf still be with the guy?  With all the connections to missing people and dead bodies……he’ll get caught.  

The lovers must have been really crazy. Who would behave that way with a woman who’s married to a very wealthy man?  He could have paid professionals to beat them up. They didn’t seem too bothered.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I think they will catch the husband though, because wasn’t that last guy he killed typing what he found out on his phone before the crash?  If the phone held up, that text should still be there, even if it wasn’t yet sent.  And, wouldn’t the wife’s scarf still be with the guy?  With all the connections to missing people and dead bodies……he’ll get caught.  

I agree he'll get caught, in addition to what you mentioned (three men tied to them died within a week??), there isn't any reason to think they'll change their behavior or their sick dynamic. She'll keep finding men to flirt with/fuck/flaunt and he'll keep killing them. That's their kink, apparently.

7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The lovers must have been really crazy. Who would behave that way with a woman who’s married to a very wealthy man?  

That's why I couldn't feel bad for any of them. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The lovers must have been really crazy. Who would behave that way with a woman who’s married to a very wealthy man?

19 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

This movie reminded me of another movie, which I hated, “Closer”.  

I guess if she had no respect for her husband and their marriage, why should they. Though I agree, they were stupid. I could not believe they would come to the house though, while the husband was there and go so far as to try and have a conversation with him. One guy even brazenly thanked the husband for being cool about the inappropriate relationship he had with the wife. SMH. Their behavior kind of reminded me of the lover in "Unfaithful". Though he wasn't so cocky as to involve himself in the couple's life,  he was stupid to let Richard Gere's character (the husband) into his apartment when he showed up and then proceed to arrogantly talk about why the wife (Diane Lane's character) chose to have an affair with him. Needless to say, his cockiness didn't lead to good end for him.

I agree with others. This was not good. Entertaining enough for me to watch until the end, I was hoping something interesting would happen, but it just didn't. The husband and wife were toxic and horrible people. That poor kid is sweet now, but will probably grow up being a dysfunctional mess with addiction and emotional issues. The husband will eventually get caught, and the wife will probably go to prison too, if she continues to have affairs, knowing that her husband will kill her lovers. Also didn't understand why they stayed married. They obviously didn't love each other and the toxic passion exhibited over jealously failed to show any remnants of what used to be, the "passion" or whatever, that brought them together in the first place. I guess I could understand why she would stay with him, because he had money but I have no idea why he would continue to stay married to her. It's one thing for your spouse to cheat, but for them to be so disrespectful as to invite their lovers to dinner parties with you and your friends and then proceed to hang all over them making it obvious that they were sleeping together was too much. It didn't appear that he enjoyed the humiliation. It just made him seethe and kill, stopping the humiliation temporarily. So why put up with it? It made no sense to me. 

Anyways, Ana de Armas reminds me so much of Eliza Dushku. They could play sisters. 

• Love 6
On 3/19/2022 at 3:33 PM, SlovakPrincess said:

I literally started this topic because I am so, so, so confused by some of the choices made in this movie, and I'm looking for other poor souls who made the mistake of watching it, to discuss.  Misery loves company. 😂

Thank you! I came looking for a topic on Friday night after I watched it and thought what the hell did I just watch.

The kid was creepy and weird. She asked her dad about how he murdered those men? She said that she had another mommy before this one? I kind of thought she was responsible for the deaths of the lovers.  That would have been an interesting twist at least.  As it was you 100% knew from the outset that he was a serial killer.

And I agree, I couldn't understand why on earth they stayed married. She definitely doesn't love him. He doesn't really seem to love her. I think the snails thing was supposed to be an analogy about how far they'll go for their spouses but it also would have been more interesting if they were poisonous or something. Also he had a bunch of the shells in the car with lover #3.  Did he kill them out of spite? Do snails shed their shells the way other bugs do? Did he kill blonde lover he ordered the uber for? If not, why did he get away? 

I also kind of thought she murdered the daughter after she saw the daughter attempting to throw the suitcase in the pool. I figured it would end with her dead in the bottom since it seemed like the kid was all he cared about. He killed everything she "loved" so she did the same kind of thing. And she clearly didn't love/want the daughter. And the daughter knew it and tormented her. 

Seriously, how did she not at least suspect something was up when her lovers kept disappearing? 

• Love 3
(edited)

LOL @Enero, don't get me started on the idiocy of the lover in "Unfaithful".   Although he at least had the good sense to make a few "oh shit" faces when Richard Gere's character showed up at his door -- unlike the geniuses in this movie.  And here, people are already gossiping about Vic "offing" one of his wife's missing boyfriends at the start of the movie.  Whereas in "Unfaithful", the straight-laced husband clearly snapped and had never done anything like that before (and it's implied the wife had never cheated before meeting Mr. Irresistible French Book Seller Man ... though she's a complete moron, as well).  

@joanne3482, it occurred to me that the daughter would fall down the stairs or drown in the pool, or Melinda would do something to her ... but I think Melinda simply decided she couldn't take the kid and leave Vic because the kid made it clear she prefers Vic over Melinda.  And the movie just never shows the kid again, she's probably just in her room or something when Vic comes home to his creepily smiling wife lounging on the stairs, doing nothing productive as usual LOL.  Anyway, I think it highlighted that Melinda didn't care enough to leave the sick dynamic with Vic, so at the first little obstacle (Trixie throwing a fit, as kids predictably do), she abandons her plan to leave and destroys evidence for Vic instead.  

It's hinted that Trixie might have malicious tendencies like her parents (she seems thrilled by the idea her dad murdered someone, not freaked out or confused as you'd expect for a child).  So they're probably raising a little psycho, on top of everything else.  

Yeah, I also didn't get the box of shells in the car or why that was highlighted.  We get it, movie!  He likes snails!  And?!

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 2

Where in the movie did Trixie  say she knew her dad killed people?  I must have missed that part.  And about another mommy. I thought she asked dad why her mom acted like a different person when guests were present.  

Did any of you watch Trixie singing in the back seat of the car, after the credits rolled?  It was pretty funny.  

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Where in the movie did Trixie  say she knew her dad killed people?  I must have missed that part.  And about another mommy. I thought she asked dad why her mom acted like a different person when guests were present.  

Did any of you watch Trixie singing in the back seat of the car, after the credits rolled?  It was pretty funny.  

In the scene where Vic is watching Trixie during her bath, she asks her dad why he won't tell her "how he did it" and that kids at school gossiped about him killing ... the guy in the pool, I think?   She doesn't seem to believe him when he kinda denies it, and then he says, pointedly, that if he had killed someone he could be taken away.   

• Love 3
1 minute ago, SlovakPrincess said:

In the scene where Vic is watching Trixie during her bath, she asks her dad why he won't tell her "how he did it" and that kids at school gossiped about him killing ... the guy in the pool, I think?   She doesn't seem to believe him when he kinda denies it, and then he says, pointedly, that if he had killed someone he could be taken away.   

Oh, I recall that.  I interpreted it to mean that people thought the guy in the pool died due to being dropped on the concrete when they were trying to get him out of the pool and they blamed her dad, since he was one of the men who dropped him.  I’ll have to look at that again.  I would have to hate watch it again. Lol 

• Love 1
(edited)
5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh, I recall that.  I interpreted it to mean that people thought the guy in the pool died due to being dropped on the concrete when they were trying to get him out of the pool and they blamed her dad, since he was one of the men who dropped him.  I’ll have to look at that again.  I would have to hate watch it again. Lol 

I'm a crazy person, LOL, so I  just pulled it up again on Hulu and skipped right to that scene -- at the end of the scene she smiles and says "I still think you downed him, you're just telling me you didn't" and he smirks and goes "well, let's just keep that between us."  

I'm telling you, she's gonna be as nuts as her parents.  

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

And about another mommy. I thought she asked dad why her mom acted like a different person when guests were present.  

She was at the little table and said, 'Did you know I had another mommy before this mommy?'  I honestly thought at first that Melinda was her stepmother. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

She was at the little table and said, 'Did you know I had another mommy before this mommy?'  I honestly thought at first that Melinda was her stepmother. 

That’s right, but what about when husband and wife are arguing about family life and she says something implying that the family was his idea.  Like she wanted to stay childless.  Hmmmm…..Odd. She even says something about six years without a kid.   

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

That’s right, but what about when husband and wife are arguing about family life and she says something implying that the family was his idea.  Like she wanted to stay childless.  Hmmmm…..Odd. She even says something about six years without a kid.   

Could the daughter have been adopted? He certainly could’ve adopted a child, with his money, without the wife being on board. I too found it odd that she blamed him for them having a kid. If she did give birth to the daughter , how is that his fault? Did she not have access to birth control? Or an abortion clinic? Or a flight of stairs?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Upon rewatching I noticed some other odd things.  Contrived to fit the story, I suppose.  So, a multimillion’s wife has a bank account so low it can’t cover $3000.  And there’s no overdraft protection.  Lol  

The first scene of Husband returning home on his bike, Wife is waiting on the stairs. She is wearing the same dress at the end of the movie, when he returns from the incident where Don goes off the cliff.  But they are different times, because Husband is wearing different clothes.  And, at the end, she makes the comment about Tony. So, who had he killed right before the first staircase scene?  That guy they first joked about?  

Joel really was too dumb to survive.  I actually thought Husband could have killed him by exposing him to the shellfish, since he was allergic.  That was a wasted opportunity.  I do think he killed him though. No way he let him leave in an Uber.  

The piano man was also pretty foolish.  And the wife’s old friend who wanted to eat the snails! You just knew he was a dead man. Lol   The behavior of the wife’s paramours made it difficult to pity them.  

Even the friend (Don) who suspected Husband and accused him of murder.  He was pretty sure he killed the drowned guy, but yet he gets out of his car in a remote area to chat with Husband about some object he’s hiding in the river! Lol And, slows down to threaten him with jail, as he’s leaving.  He did have the Wife’s scarf in his pocket though.  Of course, since it was clearly an accident, no one may look into it, unless they read that partial message on his phone.  A sequel to this movie may have more potential than this one.  

Why did they show the Wife and daughter’s feet so much? The camera would just zoom in on their feet for no apparent reason. Lol

I’ve read some symbolism about snails. They are protective of their home, which is their shell.   I guess Husband relates to that.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
On 3/20/2022 at 10:48 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

…I think they will catch the husband though, because wasn’t that last guy he killed typing what he found out on his phone before the crash?  If the phone held up, that text should still be there, even if it wasn’t yet sent.  And, wouldn’t the wife’s scarf still be with the guy?  With all the connections to missing people and dead bodies……he’ll get caught…

It’s based on a Patricia Highsmith novel and  in the book’s ending  the husband gets caught.  But Geeze, this film deviates so much from the novel that I would at best say it’s a “loose adaptation.”

• Love 2
On 3/21/2022 at 11:51 AM, joanne3482 said:

And I agree, I couldn't understand why on earth they stayed married. She definitely doesn't love him. He doesn't really seem to love her. I 

I wish they had given some more insight into that especially why Affleck stayed married to her. I mean he was super rich and I imagine that the whole town knew she wasn't being faithful would make a divorce less of a fight. So why didn't he just leave her. Especially since he seemed so bad at murdering. 

Although was the end just her giving up, knowing that he would eventually kill every guy she tries to fill around with so she might as well just stay with him?

On 3/19/2022 at 7:12 PM, Chaos Theory said:

The daughter was fun as well.  But both parents deserve to be in prison for naming her Trixie.

Every time I heard the name I thought of the show Deadwood and how one of the main characters was Trixie a prostitute. Other than that there aren't many famous Trixies, fiction or non-fiction I don't think.

On 3/21/2022 at 8:49 AM, Enero said:

Anyways, Ana de Armas reminds me so much of Eliza Dushku. They could play sisters. 

I didn't see Eliza Dushku, I kept seeing a younger Mila Kunis. 

Also what the hell was up with the end. Was that author guy just following Ben Affleck around or did he happen to run into him in the secluded Creek with no cell service? And seriously dude you are in a car and he is on a bike, just slowly drive out of there, what the hell is he going to do?

• Love 2

When I was a kid, my aunt and uncle had a chihuahua named Trixie.  I thought it was cute at the time….

I think the nosy man was overly invested into finding out what Snail guy was up to, so went to investigate, though getting out and approaching a guy you think is a killer in a desolate area is pretty lame. 

I guess the husband was obsessed with his wife and he just couldn’t let her go.