Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: Pirates

• Start Topic

For a recycled Hawaii 5-0 plot this was pretty good. 5-0 did this a bunch of times to the point where basically every team member's family had been kidnapped/held hostage at least once.

I guess this does not share a universe with MacGyver unless he's famous enough to be mentioned in the same breath as Hollywood action heroes.

I like this team and how they interact with each other. If this had been 5-0, McGarrett would have hung up on Danno (he was the one who got kidnapped the most) and three days later would have been asking casually "hey, anyone seen Danno lately? I was gonna bitch at him about something but he won't pick up his phone." Tennant knew there was something wrong right away and the entire team rallied with the quickness.

Whistler, I know you just joined the FBI and they might have a stricter dress code but if you want to hold Lucy's attention for more than a second you should try that leather skirt again. It worked the first time.

• Love 1

I was totally thinking this is a recycled H-50 plot.  Kind of mish-mashed together.  Including a daughter in peril named "Grace," an Aloha Girls type youth group in peril, being chased by bad guys across an unnamed Hawaiian islet like McGarrett and his girlfriend, lots of kids kidnapped with random demands to all the parents, pirated/hijacked boat, all powerful south American drug lord....  Yeah.  I was a big H-50 fan, but this was a little ridiculous.  Almost a parody of H-50, really.

I'm really starting to like all these characters.  That elevator scene with Lucy and Whistler had layers.  Nicely done by both actors.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, dwmarch said:

For a recycled Hawaii 5-0 plot this was pretty good. 5-0 did this a bunch of times to the point where basically every team member's family had been kidnapped/held hostage at least once.

I guess this does not share a universe with MacGyver unless he's famous enough to be mentioned in the same breath as Hollywood action heroes.

I like this team and how they interact with each other. If this had been 5-0, McGarrett would have hung up on Danno (he was the one who got kidnapped the most) and three days later would have been asking casually "hey, anyone seen Danno lately? I was gonna bitch at him about something but he won't pick up his phone." Tennant knew there was something wrong right away and the entire team rallied with the quickness.

Whistler, I know you just joined the FBI and they might have a stricter dress code but if you want to hold Lucy's attention for more than a second you should try that leather skirt again. It worked the first time.

NCIS does not play with others very well. After the aborted SEAL reunion between 5-0's McGarrett and Sam Hanna from Los Angeles all ties were cut. So not as bad as the 5-0 task force singing the Magnum PI theme before a new Thomas Magnum showed up in their lives.

I wasn't thinking about 5-0 but Magnum with Boone's swim in and then MacGyver, along with Captain Kirk versus the Gorn when building his weapon. And come to think on it that is pure McGarrett.

Is Tori Anderson related to a producer? With the turn from Lucy's girlfriend to Janey's bestie Agent Whistler is wanted by someone high up and is a lot more than the reoccurring friends on the other NCIS shows.

I was hoping the CGIS Agent Pike would be the one used. As with Tori Anderson someone high up must have been a  Coastie. From the helicopter in the pilot episode to the joint Navy and Coast Guard induction ceremony to the Coast Guard rescue swimmer. And now Agent Pike gives his short history aboard the cutter.

The episode was all good and then we get to the end with Boone thinking that he should go alone to save the last kidnap victim and get the pirate.

12 minutes ago, Raja said:

The episode was all good and then we get to the end with Boone thinking that he should go alone to save the last kidnap victim and get the pirate.

Yes, we were doing great and then we had to have the tearful reunion between Jesse and Grace while the other agents watched.  I just kept thinking, “You aren’t done!”  And sending the barefoot, injured, exhausted guy with a borrowed gun to save the boy was eye rolling.  At least Pike and Lucy refused to let him go alone.

I loved Whistler’s continued awkwardness talking with people as she tried to comfort the parents.

• Love 2

I didn't mind that this episode seemed similar to a H5-0 kidnap plot.  I thought this was the best episode yet.  Filled with lots of action.  This was a particularly great episode for Noah Mills and Jesse.  I really liked the location shots on the island.

Team works great together, and you can tell there is a lot of love and respect amongst them.  I like the relationship between Jane and Jesse, and the developing friendship between Jane and Whistler.  I do wish Lucy would give Whistler another chance, the cold shoulder is getting old.   Whistler seems to be about 30 years old, did Lucy think Whistler had never dated anyone before?

Pike was funny, I liked how he said he was Boone's best friend and then Lucy said she was Boone's best friend.

I think the problem for Lucy re Whistler is not that she dated someone 'before' it's that she was dating someone else overlapping with her flirtations and budding relationship with her. If Whistler was so vague in her 'breakup' with lover number one that said woman didn't even know they were broken up then that is a huge problem for me. I don't think Lucy overreacted to that fact.

I am also tired beyond belief of Whistler and was hoping her character would go away but somehow every case needs Whistler for some reason or other. It must be in her contract, 'show up each episode no matter what'.  And I am really sick of the Whistler-Lucy depressing emoting across a room, in an elevator, etc.  Enough already. But now that Whistler seems to be on track to be Jane's new bff I imagine we'll see her even more than we used to.  She is seriously ruining these episodes for me.

I do agree that this episode was good and I enjoyed the non-Whistler parts of it.  Lucy is getting a little tiresome though. She needs to stop being a little girl as NCIS agent. It's like I'm watching someone playing dress up.

• Love 3

That was badly written. There was absolutely no reason Adrian's mum wouldn't immediately tell NCIS about her evil father-in-law. I'm going to pretend Jesse only said "She's mine." because of a head injury. 

• Love 1

When the show came on I was reading but the show kept drawing me in and I really enjoyed it.

I remember the 5-0 episode of kids being kidnapped.  Tom Arnold was the guest star and I kept waiting for the episode to become a comedy but it did not.  He was just a regular 5-0 villain.

This episode was better done than the 5-0 episode.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

There was absolutely no reason Adrian's mum wouldn't immediately tell NCIS about her evil father-in-law. 

Agreed, this woman irritated me after we found out the truth.  I think it was irresponsible of her not to come forward with this information immediately.  She could have done it in confidence with Jane instead of out in the open where she would have been overheard.

I don't think I fully understand the ransom demand from the four other families.  The South African lady was hired by evil grandpa to kidnap Adrian and bring him back to Colombia (?).  So why the ransom demands?  Why not just grab Adrian?  Was it just for the pretense?  Obviously Rebecca (or whatever her name really is) knew instantly why her son had been kidnapped and her refusal to share that information could have gotten all of the kids (and Jesse and the captain) killed.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, blackwing said:

I don't think I fully understand the ransom demand from the four other families.  The South African lady was hired by evil grandpa to kidnap Adrian and bring him back to Colombia (?).  So why the ransom demands?  

It was just to keep the FBI/NCIS busy looking in the wrong places. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, blackwing said:

Agreed, this woman irritated me after we found out the truth.  I think it was irresponsible of her not to come forward with this information immediately.  She could have done it in confidence with Jane instead of out in the open where she would have been overheard.

I don't think I fully understand the ransom demand from the four other families.  The South African lady was hired by evil grandpa to kidnap Adrian and bring him back to Colombia (?).  So why the ransom demands?  Why not just grab Adrian?  Was it just for the pretense?  Obviously Rebecca (or whatever her name really is) knew instantly why her son had been kidnapped and her refusal to share that information could have gotten all of the kids (and Jesse and the captain) killed.

It was a thing with 5-0 also. Eventually you have to get somewhere with an aircraft that can cross the Pacific Ocean. So the mercenaries diverted attention by acting like pure, for lack of a better term, pirates. Hopefully to sneak their employers grandson out while the Coast Guard looked for the pirate's lair.

That NCIS immediately saw through the ransom, since the rich did not go to that sailing course was a bit off when I heard what seemed like a low price, especially with the operating cost. I figured that by emptying the retirement account, at the pre Russian attack prices, I could have raised it. So it was doable.

We need more of the coast guard guy.  I loved the ‘ I’ve been looking for you all day, you aren’t getting out of my sight’ line. Jesse was being a little over the top in that scene.  I did enjoy a Jesse centric episode though as he’s usually just the mentor to everyone else.  

• Love 1
On 3/8/2022 at 1:51 AM, dwmarch said:

Regarding Whistler's choice of outfit....the leather skirt look would have worked for me too...

On 3/9/2022 at 5:33 PM, blackwing said:

I love it when witnesses leave out a detail that's very relevant to the case, and when confronted about it later, say "I didnt think that was important.." </sarcasm>

I do like that Jesse is portrayed as having a stable personal life.  He seems to get along nicely with his daughter, seems happy with his wife, and there is no drama with him.  Jane, too, has issues with her ex somtimes, but seems to have have a nice home life.  Meanwhile, Kai has issues with his Dad, computer guy (keep forgetting his name) I'm not sure about, and Lucy.....well, nothing more I can add that hasn't already been pointed out.