Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E14: Blood Relation

jewel21
  • Start Topic

So Burgess is hurled into a fresh round of trauma, after not being permitted to explore her last round of trauma?

Did Marina piss in someone's cereal?

Despite that, at least I know both Marina and Paddy will give us a masterclass..... I mean they are well versed in misery.

Looking forward to this one.

• Love 3

here must be somebody new writing this show because in the last two weeks we got Kev and Haley in a scene by themselves and now somebody remembered Kev is Burgess best friend. 

The irony of Burgess winning that case and then right after the kid gets kidnapped because she's Burgess daughter. Maybe she isn't what's for the kid. 

• Love 5

WOW!!  IRL life, she would have never retained custody I don't think but I was happy for them as they are fictional characters.  But that ending!!!  Are we supposed to thing the uncle is behind it?  Maybe not so different than his brother?  If these were real people, that poor child!

• Love 5

Or the brother of the girl they saved isn't innocent...the uncle/dad thing just seems too easy for the writers.

Loved the Uncle Kev scene however it's disappointing that this is the first time they have really shown Burgess actually engaged with Makayla, so I found that a little jarring. I wish they'd spent more time on developing that side. The random glass thing was odd, I would've thought the hair tie link might have gelled with the audience better as they made such a big deal of it last season & in the finale.

Kim was a bit reckless, and it was also strange that she ran off to search for the baddie in the warehouse alone, I guess it was for the purpose of the plot but Adam was right with her, it seemed a little contrived to me.

At least she didn't push Adam away like she usually does when she's have a crisis.

Good to see the Crimesteads continue to not show any interest in anyone else, even each other. 

It was amusing that they bought up Kim being kidnapped, being shot & flatlining & her trauma but stopped short of asking her how she deals with 'knowing' that Roy is still out there & what if he comes after her or Makayla.....but I guess we just don't talk about that because you know.... 'it's been resolved'

Anyway, I really enjoyed this, the case was brutal, if not a tad underdeveloped because they had to put more emphasis on the custody case than usual. 

As always Marina and Paddy deliver every single time.

• Love 2

Oh brother.  The uncle and his wife should have won custody, with Kim and Adam allowed generous visitation.  And no way they're behind the kidnapping.  What. A. Stupid. Plot.  Unless, as said upthread, the jailed father is behind it . . .

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, jalady said:

Oh brother.  The uncle and his wife should have won custody, with Kim and Adam allowed generous visitation.  And no way they're behind the kidnapping.  What. A. Stupid. Plot.  Unless, as said upthread, the jailed father is behind it . . .

I agree with all of this. I think the uncle and his wife should have won custody. I wonder if something will change regarding that after next weeks episode. 

Not enough Jay and Hailey but I understand that it’s a Burzek episode and so is next weeks. I’m looking forward to Jay’s next episode. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Guildford said:

Good to see the Crimesteads continue to not show any interest in anyone else, even each other. 

It's been said that the actors get along great in real life, but do they really? Because they showed them sitting in a car together in awkward silence. Years ago, Jay and Erin would have at least had "witty" banter. I know that scene was only a few seconds long, but it was pointless to show them sitting in silence. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Poor Kim! Can’t she have any happiness?

Nope apparently. I was telling my dad last night that I originally thought she was gonna lose the little one cause only Jay and Hailey can have good things happen for them, then was pleasantly surprised she got to keep her just to see the Little one get kidnapped.  It's a real thing there is always at least one character in a TV show that the writers love to have suffer all the time. 

6 hours ago, Chicagopdfan said:

I agree with all of this. I think the uncle and his wife should have won custody. I wonder if something will change regarding that after next weeks episode. 

Not enough Jay and Hailey but I understand that it’s a Burzek episode and so is next weeks. I’m looking forward to Jay’s next episode. 

No it was the right amount of Jay, AKA Haileys whipping boy and definitely enough of the Production Pet Hailey 

12 minutes ago, Josh371982 said:

It's a real thing there is always at least one character in a TV show that the writers love to have suffer all the time. 

Yes, but on this show, that seems to apply to EVERYONE. EVERYONE'S been shot/assaulted/kidnapped, etc. It's exhausting.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

It's been said that the actors get along great in real life, but do they really? Because they showed them sitting in a car together in awkward silence. Years ago, Jay and Erin would have at least had "witty" banter. I know that scene was only a few seconds long, but it was pointless to show them sitting in silence. 

She actually looked happier in the brief scene in the car with Voight, but then again they are two birds of a feather.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

The actors are best friends in real life (their words. There is no humour or witty banter in PD full stop these days. Nothing to do with how well the actors get on. 

1 hour ago, Josh371982 said:

No it was the right amount of Jay, AKA Haileys whipping boy and definitely enough of the Production Pet Hailey 

We can agree to disagree. 

1 hour ago, Josh371982 said:

It's sad that Jay is so devoid of personality now. Jesse looks like he's just phoning it it most days. I could barely tell you what he did last night he was that beige.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dr.OO7 said:

Yes, but on this show, that seems to apply to EVERYONE. EVERYONE'S been shot/assaulted/kidnapped, etc. It's exhausting.

I agree, we need some humour, quick Witt and happiness for the characters. 

It clear the actors love their job, give it their all and all have great chemistry with each other so it’s time the writers give them something to work with away from misery all the time. 

57 minutes ago, Guildford said:

It's sad that Jay is so devoid of personality now. Jesse looks like he's just phoning it it most days. I could barely tell you what he did last night he was that beige.

I totally agree . He was once my favorite characters but putting him with Upton really destroyed his character for me. 

• Love 2

I hope Uncle Theo isn’t the one who kidnapped Makayla because that will be too predictable.

I wonder how the 3 amigos will react if Kim (or Adam) casually mentions about the possibility of Roy kidnapping Makayla. This will be fun to watch. 🤣

I love this episode more than last week’s. Makayla’s little dance and her little handshake with Uncle Kevin are adorable. She has more memorable moments in this episode itself than Jay does in several episodes!

Can’t wait for next week! 😘

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

I hope Uncle Theo isn’t the one who kidnapped Makayla because that will be too predictable.

I wonder how the 3 amigos will react if Kim (or Adam) casually mentions about the possibility of Roy kidnapping Makayla. This will be fun to watch. 🤣

I love this episode more than last week’s. Makayla’s little dance and her little handshake with Uncle Kevin are adorable. She has more memorable moments in this episode itself than Jay does in several episodes!

Can’t wait for next week! 😘

The thing is the case is closed and North isn’t around so obviously Kim knows that Roy is dead. It’s just really frustrating that we didn’t get that closure with her finding out onscreen. 

2 hours ago, Chicagopdfan said:

The thing is the case is closed and North isn’t around so obviously Kim knows that Roy is dead. It’s just really frustrating that we didn’t get that closure with her finding out onscreen. 

The last time we heard Kim spoke about Roy is when she was on hospital bed, Hailey told her Roy hasn’t been found yet, right?

10 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

The last time we heard Kim spoke about Roy is when she was on hospital bed, Hailey told her Roy hasn’t been found yet, right?

When North first showed up Kim said she wanted to do anything to help. So at that point she still didn't know, they have made no indication that she does know. I do know however that fans of that character are desperate for it to be 'over'. They've moved on because they got everything they wanted from that storyline. 

It was cruel for the writers to bring it up again only to torture Kim again when they refused to allow her any skin in the game of the so called resolution.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Guildford said:

When North first showed up Kim said she wanted to do anything to help. So at that point she still didn't know, they have made no indication that she does know. I do know however that fans of that character are desperate for it to be 'over'. They've moved on because they got everything they wanted from that storyline. 

Thanks for the clarification. 🙏🏻

I thought I have missed some scenes about Kim making conclusions re Roy’s whereabout. IMO, Kim, Adam and Kev still don’t know the truth about Roy.

31 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Thanks for the clarification. 🙏🏻

I thought I have missed some scenes about Kim making conclusions re Roy’s whereabout. IMO, Kim, Adam and Kev still don’t know the truth about Roy.

I agree I do not think Kim, Adam or Kev know anything what happened to him . Maybe they might suspect something because of how Voight is but I don’t think they know how involved Upton was with Roy or how Jay got involved . 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

No, we had a episode after when Detective North who was investigating Roy’s disappearance interviewed the intelligence unit. 

My point was being that they are police officers in the intelligence unit there’s just absolutely no way that they don’t know he’s body was found and then the case was closed. 
They obviously wouldn’t know how he actually died just the version that he’s dead because of the other child traffickers that they blamed it on. 

Also notice at the custody hearing they mentioned Kim being kidnapped and shot but not that the suspect was still at large and could potentially be a threat to Makayla. 

Which is I said it was frustrating because we should have got that closure on screen for Kim and also the superintendent who’s son was murdered. 

2 hours ago, TD3000 said:

The real swerve would be if the kidnapper was connected with the baby sitter: a bad ex, dealer, random stalker, someone like that.

Either the baby sitter or the cult....the uncle/Dad seems too lazy writing, even for this show.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Chicagopdfan said:

Do you think it will have an affect on her getting custody of Makayla? 

Knowing this show, and the franchise in particular that refuses to acknowledge that women can have careers & family....yes.

I would actually be shocked if Mak is part of the show going forward, one way or the other.

• Love 2

How the hell did Kim win over the biological uncle? I actually think that they should have shared custody of the little girl.  Now the show is going to trash him to make her the better parent.

I did like the realistic touch of Kim not knowing how to comb the little girl's hair and bringing her to that Black lady at Kevin's to help her out.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Does anyone think there's any chance of no more Makayla?  I shudder to think they would kill her off and I love that little girl, but with this show being a misery convention, they might go there😓

Edited by SuzieQ
  • Love 3

I do find it quite interesting how, in this episode, Kim says in court that "I know I don't have a lot of money..." That's strange considering her personal vehicle, not her police vehicle, is a Lexus, which comes after she was driving a Mercedes, and her realistically affordable Toyota Corolla that we saw her drive a few seasons ago when she lost her baby. And add that to the fact that's living in a high-rise condo with a secure-access parking garage. She seems pretty flush with money, for someone that's still an officer, which is less salary than a detective. Yes, writers, smart viewers do pick up on this type of stuff.