Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: The Prayer of a Righteous Man

• Start Topic

OMG.  Someone on another site speculated that Amber may be behind the ninjas and it kind of makes sense.  She was really harping on Jesse that he deserves to lead the church and she was really stern with Gideon for going after the assassins, almost like she was angry that he stopped them and not that he put himself in harms way.  Both of these stances could be viewed as her having personal stakes in wanting her FIL out of the picture and one step closer to finalizing the deal with the Lissons.

Also, Eli said Queef instead of Keefe.  LOL!

Edited by patty1h
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6

I spent the entire scene of Uncle Baby Billy and his son thinking "Man, he looks a lot like Macaulay Culkin, but that can't actually be Macaulay Culkin, right?", only to find out in the credits that, yep, that was Macaulay Culkin!  Great bit of casting there.  The whole moment was bough darkly funny and strangely touching as Billy naturally cared mainly about his own feelings and need to be "forgiven", but at the same time, I kind of feel like he truly is sorry about what he did and is happy that his son has a good life now?  Man, I don't know how Walton Goggins manages to keep bringing some form of humanity and so many layers to despicable scumbags.  Factor in Aimee-Leigh showing up in ghost/hallucination form and even laughing over him getting punched in the face and I can safely say I quite enjoyed all of it!

Speaking of strangely touching moments, Judy changing her mind about sending Tiffany away was actually a nice moment for her.  I honestly think this bond has actually made Judy a better person, even if she's still very, very twisted.  I kind of hope we see more of them (and BJ!) going forward, because this relationship is surprisingly sweet.

As much fun as it is watching the Gemstone siblings squabble, it's equally fun when they are on the same page and even supportive of one another.  I really do think there is true love there, even if they rarely show it due to their egos and general messed up mentalities towards most everything in life.

Not surprised that Junior wasn't behind those attacks (and he isn't even mad about his dad's death because he screwed him over when he ran off), so I'm definitely thinking the Lissons are behind it.  But I think the theory above about Amber being involved could actually be true as well.  It could explain why we've been seeing her push hard to have Jesse be in charge over Eli and why she was so concerned over Gideon getting involved.  And the reporter's murder still hasn't been resolved either.  Curious to see how this plays out.

Can't believe we only have one episode left!

• Like 1
  • Love 17

Whoever is behind the bikers has some serious James Bond villain thing going for them.

Or maybe it's only in TV shows and movies where police headquarters and jails are assaulted and prisoners broken out in dramatic fashion.

If they blow out a prison walls, wouldn't the prisoners inside those walls be in harm's way?  Explosives only take out building structures but not the people in those structures?

Then again, the chief of police was on the toilet playing a game on her phone when they busted out the bikers.

They tried to assassinate a public figure.  Wouldn't they be in prison with greater security rather than some local jail?

In any event, the assassination intrigue seems to be about how Eli has a less than spiritual past which may be catching up to them.  Or like season 1, he's so rich that he has all these enemies coming out of the woodwork.

I don't know how long this detente between the siblings will last.  For comic value, they're going to be sniping at each other eventually.

Previous episode, Amber said Jesse's a silverback gorilla who's not stupid but is dense instead.

This episode, Jesse called her a gold digger and tried to play it of like he didn't say it.

Where is the love?

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

But I think the theory above about Amber being involved could actually be true as well.  It could explain why we've been seeing her push hard to have Jesse be in charge over Eli and why she was so concerned over Gideon getting involved. 

But she knew that Eli was moved from the hospital so there was no need to send ninja assasins to the hospital.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 6

I laughed until I cried when Judy acknowledged her fondness for Tiffany!

Procedural: Next episode shows everybody at Zion’s Landing but Eli just now gave Jesse the $10M he wanted.  They gonna do a time hop?  Or is it not Zion’s Landing, but a worldly prototype they’re experiencing?

When they wiggled their fingers at the old man’s cement grave!

Loved so much that the old man screwed Juniir over long ago. I knew them that Jr. & Eli would  be okay. Although I could’ve done without the pasty pale old-man arse!

Could Junior in fact be the undoing of Thaniel  Block and the two guys who wound up as collateral damage?  I can see where the rationale could be explained- but I can’t, at the same time.  SURE hope that’s explained next week! 

Everybody BUT the Lissons has been eliminated as the Ninja puppeteers, I think. Dang. It is gonna be a LONG year before S3 rolls around. I HOPE it’s only a year - or less.  This show is outrageously good story-telling. 

• Love 4
On 2/21/2022 at 1:50 AM, thuganomics85 said:

I spent the entire scene of Uncle Baby Billy and his son thinking "Man, he looks a lot like Macaulay Culkin, but that can't actually be Macaulay Culkin, right?", only to find out in the credits that, yep, that was Macaulay Culkin!  Great bit of casting there.  The whole moment was bough darkly funny and strangely touching as Billy naturally cared mainly about his own feelings and need to be "forgiven", but at the same time, I kind of feel like he truly is sorry about what he did and is happy that his son has a good life now?  Man, I don't know how Walton Goggins manages to keep bringing some form of humanity and so many layers to despicable scumbags.  Factor in Aimee-Leigh showing up in ghost/hallucination form and even laughing over him getting punched in the face and I can safely say I quite enjoyed all of it!

Speaking of strangely touching moments, Judy changing her mind about sending Tiffany away was actually a nice moment for her.  I honestly think this bond has actually made Judy a better person, even if she's still very, very twisted.  I kind of hope we see more of them (and BJ!) going forward, because this relationship is surprisingly sweet.

As much fun as it is watching the Gemstone siblings squabble, it's equally fun when they are on the same page and even supportive of one another.  I really do think there is true love there, even if they rarely show it due to their egos and general messed up mentalities towards most everything in life.

Not surprised that Junior wasn't behind those attacks (and he isn't even mad about his dad's death because he screwed him over when he ran off), so I'm definitely thinking the Lissons are behind it.  But I think the theory above about Amber being involved could actually be true as well.  It could explain why we've been seeing her push hard to have Jesse be in charge over Eli and why she was so concerned over Gideon getting involved.  And the reporter's murder still hasn't been resolved either.  Curious to see how this plays out.

Can't believe we only have one episode left!

Two big surprises:

1. Macaulay playing grown-up Harlan

2. Harlan seems to have a great life with a nice house and a beautiful family.

Not that it excuses Baby Billy's abandonment but I think he would have been more eff'd up if his father had stayed in his life.

On 2/21/2022 at 12:51 AM, patty1h said:

OMG.  Someone on another site speculated that Amber may be behind the ninjas and it kind of makes sense.  She was really harping on Jesse that he deserves to lead the church and she was really stern with Gideon for going after the assassins, almost like she was angry that he stopped them and not that he put himself in harms way

That is a really great theory.

However, what about the attack on the party van? It could explain why no one hit her or her husband and she was so well prepared to shoot one of them?

Edited by qtpye
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, aghst said:

Whoever is behind the bikers has some serious James Bond villain thing going for them.

Or maybe it's only in TV shows and movies where police headquarters and jails are assaulted and prisoners broken out in dramatic fashion.

It reminded me of the ending of one of the really bad entries in the Halloween movie series. Oh, I need to narrow it down more. V

10 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I spent the entire scene of Uncle Baby Billy and his son thinking "Man, he looks a lot like Macaulay Culkin, but that can't actually be Macaulay Culkin, right?", only to find out in the credits that, yep, that was Macaulay Culkin! 

Same. I was like" he looks like a Culkin, is he a Culkin I haven't seen before?" turns out he was THE Culkin.

• LOL 11

A wild Macaulay Culkin appears! What great casting as Uncle Baby Billy's abandoned son, this is even better than a gotcha moment when we find out that Harlan is actually someone we already know. Its great that he has built a really nice life for himself and that he really doesn't need anything from his deadbeat dad, even if he ended up getting some closure at the end. Walton Goggins really is a treasure, even when its obvious that he showed up at Harlan's for selfish reasons, I do actually buy that he feels bad about ditching his son and is truly happy that he's done well with his life, even if he seemed a bit disappointed that him showing up isn't the massive life changer for Harlan that he thought it would be. And he also isn't wrong that being away from Uncle Baby Billy was probably for the best, as he seems way more well adjusted then anyone else in their family. Also loved seeing Aimee-Leigh as the angel on his shoulder, especially when she laughed her subconscious ass off at him getting punched in the face. 

Its weird to see the Gemstone kids actually getting along, as much fun as their childish bickering is I also enjoy when they're all on the same page. Judy changing her mind and insisting on Tiffany staying around is very strangely touching, who knew that hanging out with her much younger heavily pregnant backwoods aunt would actually make Judy just a tad bit of a nicer person?

It must have been pure divine intervention that let Kelvin drag that heavy cross that far. "You don't have to make it weird." "I DO have to make it weird." Also, Eli called Keefe "Queef" and that's hilarious. 

Not surprising that Junior isn't behind the Tron motorcycles, that really doesn't seem like his style. He isn't even that upset about what happened to his dad, he had just screwed him over anyway. I still say that the Lissons are the most likely suspects, but the idea of it being Amber is certainly interesting. It would be a big risk considering she and Jesse were the first people targeted and a bullet could have easily hit either of them (and I don't think she wants to kill Jesse) but it could also explain why the bikers waited until they were in the van to start shooting instead of filling them with holes while they were in the parking lot. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

I enjoyed that Junior believed Eli pretty quickly on how his father died (he didn't do the cliché of calling Eli a liar and still try to kill him) and that he said his father deserved it because he was an asshole. I love that my expectations were subverted.

Judy becoming attached to Aunt Tiffany is definitely a pleasant surprise.

Macaulay Culkin! I couldn't believe it! Harmon's a now a dog person. I was laughing so hard when all he wanted from Baby Billy was to punch him in the face, then was almost crying when the ghost of Aimee-Leigh was cackling at her bloodied brother.

After all my complaining about not showing the identities of the motorcycle ninjas, it turns out they're just random teenagers.

Next week needs to be extra long because there are still so many unanswered questions. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Pallida said:

This isn't a real prediction, but I think it'd be hilarious if Joe Jonas was behind the motorcycle kids.

PLEASE! I need this to happen. It would really pull the cameo full circle. He wants the waterpark so bad he will do the dirty work.

• LOL 2