Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Large and In Charge

• Start Topic

So far I like these women - they come off much better than in the first couple of appearances, where they were probably "auditioning" for the series and wanted to make an impression.  I find them pretty relatable and the pain of watching her child become obese is hopefully going to give her the motivation to turn things around. (To be honest, those stairs must have been incredibly challenging for her. We've seen smaller women melt down at smaller obstacles. Vanessa must be surprisingly fit, all things considered. At the very least, she didn't sit down at the top and wail that she *couldn't* which = major brownie points. Not that brownie points are appropriate in this context.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, kassa said:

So far I like these women - they come off much better than in the first couple of appearances, where they were probably "auditioning" for the series and wanted to make an impression.  I find them pretty relatable and the pain of watching her child become obese is hopefully going to give her the motivation to turn things around. (To be honest, those stairs must have been incredibly challenging for her. We've seen smaller women melt down at smaller obstacles. Vanessa must be surprisingly fit, all things considered. At the very least, she didn't sit down at the top and wail that she *couldn't* which = major brownie points. Not that brownie points are appropriate in this context.

I like them too.  (Brownie points for me, is I didn't bake any.) They do seem fun to hang out with, and if they can help each other then all the better.

• Love 2
On 2/16/2022 at 12:18 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Nokat, actually I think I was worried, but I bet the camera crew members were terrified

At least not splayed out for a non-medical horrified doctor.

Edited by nokat
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

I call shenanigans on a Megan not seeing a nutritionist before her surgery. Isn’t that the norm? 

It should be the normal

Edited by nokat

I don’t blame Vanessa’s sister for how she got this fat, but I’d certainly blame her going forward if she keeps sabotaging her. It’s true that an addict has to learn to live with their drug of choice being available, but no drug is readily consumed in front of you like food. It’s everywhere, All the time. And when the addict is early in recovery and begging their sister not to tempt them, and she still does? That’s just evil. Of course, it didn’t seem authentic to me anyway. The sister’s not a good actress, and it seemed like she was given a script.  I know how Vanessa feels having a thin sister, who can eat whatever she wants and stays skinny. It’s a challenge to get past the resentment of ‘why me?’ 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Excuse-moi but Vannessa can’t blame her sister for her weight. Last episode she was blaming her husband’s death. Sister is an enabler but she chooses what to put in her own mouth.

Just like all the excuses Dr. Now gets. I can just imagine. Some crap like , my Mom stopped buying my favorite cereal and I was so traumatized I now eat everything on the cereal aisle. 

• Useful 1

There's definitely a sister dynamic going on that they are not showing, being on their best behavior for the cameras, which comes off as fake. 

I've known a couple of very skinny can-eat-anything people whose diets were pure garbage and as a person who needs to watch calories, they were hard to hang out with, let alone live with. There's a weird "See, I don't care about your weight - let's get BOTH desserts!" dynamic that can happen, like they can let loose eating with you in ways that they wouldn't in front of other people. 

If the sister is a hothead like Vanessa, I can totally see her telling her what a bitch she is when she's dieting and throwing junk in her face to pacify her/piss her off/bond with her. And truth be told, we don't know how many years Vanessa has demanded that her eating habits be ignored/catered to, then said she was dieting and got angry because there was junk, then got angry that the sister brought home McDonalds and didn't get her anything.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 2/18/2022 at 9:54 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm wondering if the sister is thin because of her metabolism, or something more scary, bulimia, or a drug that takes away her appetite. 

I’m not sure. Looking at the sister when she’s by herself, she is thin, but not abnormally so. (I’m not suggesting you can tell if someone has an ED just by looking at them most of the time). There are people that just aren’t that interested in food, and may eat junk but have tiny appetites (so they still don’t ingest large amounts of calories). She may have developed other coping mechanisms than eating. We also don’t know how Vanessa has acted when people did not bring the junk she wanted and how much of this is scripted for the storyline. 

Jacob is young enough that he could really turn things around if he gets started (surgery or not). Being a young man he could loose 100-150lbs in the next year with counting his calories. I believe Vanessa doesn’t want Jacob go down the same road, and the younger boy (I’m not sure of his name) is heavy too. Now he might just be pre-growth spurt or he could headed down the same road as his brother.

What I have noticed with many of the people on the shows about super morbidly obese persons, is that yes, they probably would’ve always been the heavy people in society if given access to the calories (even 100years ago), but you add in unresolved trauma, stress of poverty, an enabling environment AND a personal disposition to being in a calorie surplus and there you go. A lot of these participants have turned to the food the way some turn to alcohol, shopping or gambling. 

Am I the only one who thinks it’s a little disrespectful to her fiancé and inappropriate for her to be making all those sexual innuendos about Dr Proctor (I know a lot of people lust after him, he’s nice looking but nothing to write home about)?

• Useful 1

I would be horrible at that job at the carnival where they guess your weight.  I guessed Jacob around 350.

I assume Vannessa was exaggerating about her sister buying 20 burgers and 20 chicken sandwiches.  Wouldn’t that be like $200?  

I think all the sexual references to Dr. Proctor are creepy.  He is married with kids.  His family shouldn’t have to hear that crap.

Edited by MrBuhBye
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

I think all the sexual references to Dr. Proctor are creepy.  He is married with kids.  His family shouldn’t have to hear that crap.

I think it’s more inappropriate because he is their doctor and they are working with him in a professional capacity.

Lots of celebrities are married with kids and people make sexual jokes about them*- but this wasn’t a “I was so surprised he was so handsome.”, if they said this to his face it would be sexual harassment. Also Meghan has a fiancé and she is saying these things on camera.

*I am old enough to remember a time when women joked about masturbating to George Clooney, like in Sex and the City.

• Useful 1
34 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think it’s more inappropriate because he is their doctor and they are working with him in a professional capacity.

Lots of celebrities are married with kids and people make sexual jokes about them*- but this wasn’t a “I was so surprised he was so handsome.”, if they said this to his face it would be sexual harassment. Also Meghan has a fiancé and she is saying these things on camera.

*I am old enough to remember a time when women joked about masturbating to George Clooney, like in Sex and the City.

Yeah but they don’t know and personally interact with the celebrities.  And they don’t usually take it to the dildo level. 

I think you can say mild stuff like do you have a brother or you could be a model but anything more  than that is rude.

Edited by MrBuhBye
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Imagine if the roles were reversed and a male patient was saying he jerks off to his female doctor or puts her picture on his sex toys.

So totally inappropriate (in both instances). These women certainly should know better. Awful. 

33 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

I think you can say mild stuff like do you have a brother or you could be a model but anything more  than that is rude.

I agree. Saying “oh you are so handsome.” is fine, or even saying in the talking heads “I get nervous because he is so attractive.” is okay. But they were gross. 

I don’t mind sex jokes in general but not like that. 

• Love 4
On 2/18/2022 at 8:01 AM, Pi237 said:

I don’t blame Vanessa’s sister for how she got this fat, but I’d certainly blame her going forward if she keeps sabotaging her. It’s true that an addict has to learn to live with their drug of choice being available, but no drug is readily consumed in front of you like food. It’s everywhere, All the time. And when the addict is early in recovery and begging their sister not to tempt them, and she still does? That’s just evil. Of course, it didn’t seem authentic to me anyway. The sister’s not a good actress, and it seemed like she was given a script.  I know how Vanessa feels having a thin sister, who can eat whatever she wants and stays skinny. It’s a challenge to get past the resentment of ‘why me?’ 

Oh the scene with the sister was totally scripted but Vanessa, much like many of Dr. Now’s patients, seems to take zero accountability. She was huge even before her husband died and her sister was not living with her at that point in time. There will always be enablers, alcoholic’s face the same issue at social functions. It is up to her to take responsibility for her health and not eat the food her sister brings. I think the true roadblock is her financial situation. It is very difficult to follow a meal plan when reliant on food stamps etc. 

• Love 3
On 2/18/2022 at 7:54 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm wondering if the sister is thin because of her metabolism, or something more scary, bulimia, or a drug that takes away her appetite. 

Doctors will check for that if you're thin. If you're bulimic or a drug user it shows.

On 2/18/2022 at 7:25 AM, kassa said:

I've known a couple of very skinny can-eat-anything people whose diets were pure garbage and as a person who needs to watch calories, they were hard to hang out with, let alone live with.

As one of those people who could eat anything, you do get health issues. You may not be fat, but you have diabetes, heart issues, liver and kidney issues. 

• Love 1

Just wanted to add this since I watched last weeks episode. 

I know the whole water slide experience was meant for entertainment but I kept thinking how it would have been so much better for the four ladies to attend a private exercise class designed for them.  That way, all could participate, all could learn a few simple exercises, no one would be shamed and they all would have burned more calories than going down a water slide.

I know it’s a show for entertainment, I know it’s scripted but for heaven’s sake, give the four women some dignity and something they can use.  If they think that going up the water slide and splashing down is going to burn a million calories they are mistaken.  And how they did not know there was a weight limit is beyond me.  Totally unnecessary to have Vanessa turned away  - although I know it’s to show the realities of a day-in-the-life-of a large sized person.

My point is that the producers would have provided a much better service to the viewers showing the women exercising to their abilities, learning a few basics, burning calories and participating as a team.  

That’s all I got.  

On 2/18/2022 at 10:54 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think the sister looks like a normal weight.  She appears anorectic only in comparison to Vanessa.

• Love 1

They should put the weight limit sign at the bottom of the ladder like amusement parks post height requirements before you get in line.

Four morbidly obese women in a clique would get stared at in many public pools but I’m sure the camera crew drew extra attention to them.  

• Love 4
18 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

I apologize for my participation in saying he's nice to look at. As a woman you get so used to it.

I doubt there is any way that park doesn't have more signs about weight limits than at the top of the water slide.    I guess it's more drama to have the sign at the top only during filming.    I bet the water slide people regret agreeing to the filming. 

According to Soap Dirt, the water park scenes were filmed at West Gwinnett Water Park & Aquatic Center in Norcross.  However, the 'staff member' wasn't wearing a water park shirt.   The Soap Dirt article claims he was an actual employee, but he wore regular clothes to conceal the location of the filming.   Apparently that didn't work.  

Vannessa powdering up was disgusting.    Vannessa's sister, Jackie's idea of breakfast is awful, piles of donuts, full plates of food, right in front of Vannessa?   I'm saying producer shenanigans, and betting someone had to go to a bunch of takeout places for that scene preparation. 

Meghan having a pile of potato salad claiming she's only having a little snack was horrible.   

The scene of Meghan and Vannessa talking about sex stuff, and Dr. Procter was disgusting.     

Vannessa and her sister arguing about the sister's (in my view phony argument) about having food Vannessa can't have in the sister's house is ridiculous.   If you disagree with what the sister has in a house she owns, then move out. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
31 minutes ago, nokat said:

I apologize for my participation in saying he's nice to look at. As a woman you get so used to it.

That’s acceptable to say.  We were talking about vulgar references.  And by cast members not here.

Edited by MrBuhBye
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

That’s acceptable to say.  We were talking about vulgar references.  And by cast members not here.

Men get sexualized too and it should be recognized. Unwanted touching or advances are wrong.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

I know it’s a show for entertainment, I know it’s scripted but for heaven’s sake, give the four women some dignity and something they can use.  If they think that going up the water slide and splashing down is going to burn a million calories they are mistaken.  And how they did not know there was a weight limit is beyond me.  Totally unnecessary to have Vanessa turned away  - although I know it’s to show the realities of a day-in-the-life-of a large sized person.

My point is that the producers would have provided a much better service to the viewers showing the women exercising to their abilities, learning a few basics, burning calories and participating as a team.  

Good point about practical exercise. I think the pool slide was less about exercise and more about getting out and having a life and not putting everything on hold any more, which is easy to do when you're isolating because of your weight. People don't want to be stared at so their worlds get smaller and smaller, and doing something simple and fun can be a good reminder of all the wonderful prospects out there if they continue to lose. As one of them pointed out to Vanessa, it has to be a motivation, not an obstacle (or something along those lines). 

I've heard such things referred to as "non-scale rewards" - benefits of weight loss that aren't the numbers on the scale, but the clothes you now fit into, or not needing the seatbelt extender, or getting to ride something at the amusement park (1000 lb sisters had an episode where the brother had finally lost enough weight to ride a ride he hadn't been able to do in 20 years and it was touching). 

That's the stage Megan is in - too early for Vanessa that day, sadly.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, kassa said:

Good point about practical exercise. I think the pool slide was less about exercise and more about getting out and having a life and not putting everything on hold any more, which is easy to do when you're isolating because of your weight

I had a friend who moved away, and I miss the walks and talks we had. It can be very inspiring to have someone to exercise with.

• Love 1
On 2/20/2022 at 2:15 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The scene of Meghan and Vannessa talking about sex stuff, and Dr. Procter was disgusting. 

Agree 100%. Like other posters said - if this had been men mentioning a woman doctor no way would it have aired. It’s absolutely gross. So far - I think that Megan and Vanessa are just acting OTT for the cameras. Trying to be the Slatons. Which if you think about it is beyond pathetic. I’d rather focus more on the other ladies on the series. These two are famewhores and need to be put out to pasture. No pun intended.

• Love 1