Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Food Likes/Dislikes: Table for One

Bastet
  • Start Topic

On 2/9/2021 at 3:23 AM, Boston said:

I hate onions - always have since i was a kid.. I would go to McDonalds with my friends and scrape off the onions on a hamburger with a straw.  As I've gotten older I realize now i only hate RAW onions.  I can tolerate cooked.. and thank the lord for vidalias.  I even cook with them.  Weird thing though, I always loved onion rings and onion dip.  A nutjob, i know.

My husband is the same way he will not eat onions and I once  put Lipton onion soup in the ground meat for a hamburger he hated it said he could taste the onion, but he loves onion rings. 

On 2/12/2021 at 10:25 AM, Nicmar said:

My husband is the same way he will not eat onions and I once  put Lipton onion soup in the ground meat for a hamburger he hated it said he could taste the onion, but he loves onion rings. 

Battering and frying makes everything better!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Meat that isn't well done.  I know it's not how steak is supposed to be cooked, but if there's pink in the middle, I'm sending it back.  I don't care if the chef is insulted - I'm the one who has to eat it.  And I have done that with burgers more times than I can count.

• Like 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Meat that isn't well done.  I know it's not how steak is supposed to be cooked, but if there's pink in the middle, I'm sending it back.  I don't care if the chef is insulted - I'm the one who has to eat it.  And I have done that with burgers more times than I can count.

I wouldn't eat well done meat with someone else's mouth, but I agree you should get it how you order it.  My best friend once ordered prime rib well done, which is an absolute culinary crime, and the server's eyes got pretty big, but the kitchen sent out what she ordered and paid for.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4
18 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

And I have done that with burgers more times than I can count.

I'm with you on that one. I want no part of a burger that isn't done just past pink. (Steak, on the other hand, I'm medium rare.)

Regardless of taste preferences, which is each person's own deal, typically if there is anything that could make you sick with beef it is on the outside of the meat. If you sear the outside, you kill it and are good to go. 

With ground beef, you put it in the grinder and some of the outside is now on the inside. Thus, I want it cooked all the way through. It's not about taste for me with ground beef; it's my aversion to food poisoning.

• Like 7
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

My best friend once ordered prime rib well done, which is an absolute culinary crime,

To be fair, I would never order prime rib or any expensive cut, though I did once have a restaurant butterfly filet mignon so that it was well done.  In my defense, I was at an unfamiliar restaurant and didn't realize until too late that pretty much everything else on the menu was seafood, which I never, ever eat.

1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

With ground beef, you put it in the grinder and some of the outside is now on the inside. Thus, I want it cooked all the way through. It's not about taste for me with ground beef; it's my aversion to food poisoning.

That's why I always cut my burgers in half before I start eating.  Well, that and they're often too big to eat any other way.

On 7/11/2023 at 5:01 PM, Bastet said:

I wouldn't eat well done meat with someone else's mouth, but I agree you should get it how you order it.  My best friend once ordered prime rib well done, which is an absolute culinary crime, and the server's eyes got pretty big, but the kitchen sent out what she ordered and paid for.

Now, that IS a felony.  Prime rib roast, which I eat maybe once every five years, should be served medium rare, with the nice pink insides and the outsides with a little bit of browning from roasting.  I think prime rib used to be more popular at steak houses; now the strip steak and other broiled cuts are more popular, I think. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Now, that IS a felony.  Prime rib roast, which I eat maybe once every five years, should be served medium rare, with the nice pink insides and the outsides with a little bit of browning from roasting.

With freshly-grated horseradish.  I'm not at all excited by it (I'm not a big beef fan other than ribeye steaks, cheeseburgers, and marinated tri-tip), but we sometimes have it for Christmas Eve dinner and it's fine (more often we have beef tenderloin, which wouldn't be my choice, either, but that's fine, too).

• Like 1
On 7/11/2023 at 7:47 PM, proserpina65 said:

That would be the same for me back when I still ate meat. If meat, fish or egg looks even a bit uncooked, I wouldn't touch it if it meant I would starve to death.

• Like 1
On 7/12/2023 at 8:33 AM, JTMacc99 said:

I'm with you on that one. I want no part of a burger that isn't done just past pink. (Steak, on the other hand, I'm medium rare.)

Regardless of taste preferences, which is each person's own deal, typically if there is anything that could make you sick with beef it is on the outside of the meat. If you sear the outside, you kill it and are good to go. 

Yup. Pink inside steak & juicy. Burgers, though? I've learned to say "done" after saying well done once & getting a charred burger (just dawned on me...maybe that was the cook's/chef's revenge?) 

When I was a kid, we visited relatives for several days and the boy, age 10, put ketchup on every food he ate.  His "taste", and his house, sure, but it was disgusting to watch.  When they stayed with us the following summer, my mother threw away our ketchup before they arrived, rather than simply hide it and have to lie "we don't have any."   

• Like 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Burgers, though? I've learned to say "done" after saying well done once & getting a charred burger

I order burgers as Medium Well, which is what I actually want it to be. How I am served will occasionally vary. 

I saw a video recently of "Times Gordon Ramsay actually liked the food on Kitchen Nightmares" over the weekend. One of them was a burger, cooked medium well with smoked Gruyere and some other kind of sauce. He loved everything about it, and as he was telling the chef about how much he liked it, the cranky café owners were saying stuff like "what's that strong flavor?" (Ramsay pointed out, it was the awesome Gruyere.) and "It should be pink in the middle!" to which he noted it was cooked though but absolutely juicy.

I almost want to go find that episode and watch him lecture those owners for 40 minutes.

image.thumb.png.2e5ba02121dfc9eb9852ffb8c007bdde.png

• Like 1

I never knew that some folks can't handle the sight of medium (much less rare!!) beef until one day I got sliced steamship round at the Rayburn House Office Bldg cafeteria (was a cong. staffer). As I was enjoying my meal, I saw a look of horror on a co-worker's face. She was staring at my plate. Who knew? Obviously, I sure didn't. Had to remind myself that I can't eat rare or pink-anywhere burgers.

I prefer a medium burger. Most restaurants won't do that because the FDA has them in fear about it. I've been known to order 'rare', if I know the particular joint will overcook it anyway.

I contend that there is often far more dangrous things lurking in the unseen places in a restaurant, than the less-than well done hamburgers.

• Like 2

I like my burgers brown all the way through, but steaks and roast beef should be nice and pink.  I used to say, "just wave it past the grill on the way to my plate", but I like it a little bit more done than that these days.  

I cook/order my burgers medium rare.  Some restaurants have the disclaimer on their menu that it's not recommended they be cooked below medium, but they'll cook them medium rare if that's how you want it.  I'm fine if it winds up coming out more like medium, but medium well or well done, no way, it's going back.

• Like 1

While on a non-dairy regimen for a month, I bought an Amy's vegan pizza. Tried it last night 🤢. It was "gluesome"!! The sauce and "cheese" were sticky in a way, like glue. Can't think of any other way to describe it. I ate two small slices but couldn't stomach any more. I also couldn't really tell if not having dairy cut down on post nasal drip (deluge 🥴). 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

While on a non-dairy regimen for a month, I bought an Amy's vegan pizza. Tried it last night 🤢. It was "gluesome"!! The sauce and "cheese" were sticky in a way, like glue. Can't think of any other way to describe it. I ate two small slices but couldn't stomach any more. I also couldn't really tell if not having dairy cut down on post nasal drip (deluge 🥴). 

I know nothing about pnd, but my husband is constantly bothered by a runny nose due to oxygen use. His MD has suggested regular use of nasal gel (suggests to liberally line the nostrils) and saline spray, to rehydrate the nasal passages which the O2 dries out. The runny nose is causd by the mucus membrane trying to compensate for the constant flow of air drying it out.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I know nothing about pnd, but my husband is constantly bothered by a runny nose due to oxygen use. His MD has suggested regular use of nasal gel (suggests to liberally line the nostrils) and saline spray, to rehydrate the nasal passages which the O2 dries out. The runny nose is causd by the mucus membrane trying to compensate for the constant flow of air drying it out.

I've been doing saline rinse (with a Rx steroid) for the past few weeks, hoping that will help. 

• Like 2