Type keyword(s) to search

Design Shows

Taylorh2
  • Start Topic

For those of you missing design shows, I was browsing shows on the HGTV Go app, and saw all kinds of shows HGTV no longer airs available for viewing, including Design Cents and Design on a Dime.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Hulu has a show called Your Home Made Perfect, where the clients get to use VR goggles to see what the design of their home might be. They then choose between the two designers as to which one they like better. It's interesting, but the two designers always have their old reliables. The guy always has bench seating and the woman has skylights and hidden storage in ever design.

• Love 1

DABL is available over the air here and it has it's own Pluto channel. I like it and until Start Channel came here, I watched DABL a lot. One show I saw on there that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is a UK import, 60 Minute Makeover. In some ways, the makeovers are better than I expected for 60 minutes and other ways they are just as bad as you'd expect. They do 3 rooms, often in a flat or a row house and those rooms are small, maybe 10x10. I remember that Trading Spaces didn't want to do houses that didn't have huge rooms. And on 60 Minute Makeover they have 10 or so people working in one of those small rooms at a time. They don't really bite off more than they can chew, paint, fabric, all new furnishings, sometimes carpets, new accessories, new arrangement. Occasionally they do a kitchen and they pretty much replace the entire kitchen. They do have people who go in and do prep before the whistle and that helps them stay in the 60 minutes. But oh, that freaking whistle! It does amuse me that halfway through they stop for a tea break. 

I read on one of my doll house/miniature groups that HGTV is going to have a show on making miniatures, yay! But it's a freaking competition show. Why does everything have to be a freaking competition, food shows - they can't just show how to make food, they have to have a freaking competition! Tattoos - they have to have a stupid competition, why? Not that I'd watch that for any reason on earth, but the ads on Pluto drive me crazy. Crafts, they used to have Carol Duvall, she'd have guests and they do the craft. But they just couldn't do a show like that, they had to make it into a stupid competition. So now, they're going to do a show on making miniatures and it has to be a freaking, stupid competition! People won't watch anything but competitions? I won't watch because they are a competition and I love miniatures and would love to watch good mini builders building miniatures. I'd love to see a show on doll houses, I've seen some on some of my groups that are amazing! And there are many scales so there's something for everyone. But they'd probably turn that into some stupid competition! Anyone get the idea I hate competition shows?

• Love 1

Oh wow. I just learned that we have a new channel available over the air here: Twist. And this morning from 6AM local time, they're airing several episodes of Candice Tells All. Obviously repeats, but still. I liked Candice on her old show and at least this one is at most "only" ten years old, lol. (I almost cracked up when a few minutes into the first episode I watched, Candice whipped out a halogen lightbulb. I wonder if she's still into halogen all these years later. Those suckers give nice white light but they get HOT and in my experience they were the divas of light bulbs, could be ruined if you touched them and left skin oils, etc.) But halogens aside, I enjoy Candice and expect to like this show which I haven't seen before. 

That seems to be the most "pure" design show in the channel's lineup of repeats. Looks like an assortment of home renovation/flipping, cooking, and "lifestyle" stuff. I'm happy to have another option for over the air channels.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Oh wow. I just learned that we have a new channel available over the air here: Twist. And this morning from 6AM local time, they're airing several episodes of Candice Tells All. Obviously repeats, but still. I liked Candice on her old show and at least this one is at most "only" ten years old, lol. (I almost cracked up when a few minutes into the first episode I watched, Candice whipped out a halogen lightbulb. I wonder if she's still into halogen all these years later. Those suckers give nice white light but they get HOT and in my experience they were the divas of light bulbs, could be ruined if you touched them and left skin oils, etc.) But halogens aside, I enjoy Candice and expect to like this show which I haven't seen before. 

That seems to be the most "pure" design show in the channel's lineup of repeats. Looks like an assortment of home renovation/flipping, cooking, and "lifestyle" stuff. I'm happy to have another option for over the air channels.

I love her! Sadly, I don’t have that channel but will look for it on the “interweb” as we call it in the Spunky house. Thanks for the info! She and Sarah Richardson are my all-time favs. 

• Love 2

I caught an episode of "Sell This House" today with Tania; thankfully, no more Roger.  I don't know how many of the "Tania" shows were produced but it was a welcome change from what is the normal on other networks, mainly HGTV.  No smashing, breaking, kicking/knocking down walls.  

Sadly, the days of "decorating/design" shows seem to be over; the days of small improvements that don't require demolition or drama.    

• Love 2

What channel is the new version of "Sell This House" on?  I've been watching the old reruns and they are a hoot.  Roger is so infuriating with his obnoxious paint colors.  The houses usually end up looking just as bad, just in a different way.  

I'd like to watch the updated version just to see if Tania has improved her wardrobe at all.  I don't know if it was maybe on TWOP but somewhere she was nicknamed "Tania Mammaries".  Her clothing choices were 99% of the time so innappropriate for work!  Put those things away, Tania!  And I say that in the kindest way because I always thought she had an awesome personality, was great with the homeowners and a nice balance to the terrible Roger.  I guess if you've got it, flaunt it! 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Kiki620 said:

What channel is the new version of "Sell This House" on?  I've been watching the old reruns and they are a hoot.  Roger is so infuriating with his obnoxious paint colors.  The houses usually end up looking just as bad, just in a different way.  

I'd like to watch the updated version just to see if Tania has improved her wardrobe at all.  I don't know if it was maybe on TWOP but somewhere she was nicknamed "Tania Mammaries".  Her clothing choices were 99% of the time so innappropriate for work!  Put those things away, Tania!  And I say that in the kindest way because I always thought she had an awesome personality, was great with the homeowners and a nice balance to the terrible Roger.  I guess if you've got it, flaunt it! 

Wish I could remember what channel I caught the show on.  I always liked her, was pleasantly horrified by Roger.  I think she brought male viewers to the show, also; without annoying the women viewers.  

• Love 1

Back to the subject of DABL, here the over the air channel is in a block of digital channels owned by a religious group. At the top of many hours, the first 30 seconds of sound of the new show are covered up by the beginning of some religion/preacher show. My favorite is at 3 PM CDST, the first few minutes of 60 Minute Makeover is covered by "I love you. This is Herman something and I'm sitting here with my good friend of at least 15 years." Then it cuts to the beginning of the program. 

I've love watching the UK design and house hunting shows. I love the differences between those and the US design shows. I don't watch US house hunting shows, House Hunters destroyed all of those shows. 

But I find You Deserve This House, 60 Minute Make Over and Escape to the Country fascinating. And sometimes, with the first two, annoyed. The host of You Deserve This House is Amanda Lamb. She is more annoying than almost any US host I can think of! All of her, "my darlings" drive me out of my mind! And she's so bossy! I understand that she just wants the homeowner in her shot and talk, but she tells the other people to run along, or stay there, she's rude even though she calls them "my darling." And I get that before the show aired, they were able to surprise people with the makeover, but she knocks at their door, surprises them with a night away at a spa, rudely orders them to go pack a bag and sends them off. Then when they come home the next day, she meets them at the car, orders the friend who helped keep the homeowner busy to stay in the car, and tells the homeowner that they've been working on their home. Ok, that would have worked for maybe the first season, but after that, when the homeowner opens the door and sees her standing there, wouldn't they know that they are going away for the night and their house will be invaded by a ton of people and when they come home, they'll have a new house? I know, not everyone watches every show on tv, but some of them would be bound to know when they see my darling standing there. So the only surprise is when they see what's been done.

60 Minute Make Over amuses me more than it annoys me. I am surprised at the size of the rooms in the houses, they are small and American tv people, ahem, Trading Spaces, wouldn't do small rooms. All the whistle blowing is annoying, but I find the tea break in the middle of the make over amusing. Then there's the one designer, John something, he who wears the kilts. Some of his kilts tend to be mini skirts and he has to be careful of how he bends and moves. I know, I grew up in the mini skirt era. 

Escape to the Country is my favorite, but because of the way the local DABL channel rearranged the schedule, I rarely get to watch it now. I love how not one house hunter says, "I don't know what this room is!" or "I want cherry wood and granite countertops" or "I hate the color blue or green". They just look at the house, pretty much ignore how it's decorated. 

I'm glad for You Deserve This House and 60 Minute Makeover because they show smaller homes, flats and not mega McMansions and after watching all the gorgeous homes on Escape to the Country it's nice to know that not all of UK has budgets to afford houses upwards of 500,000 pounds (don't know the code on the keyboard for the pound sign) with 4 bedrooms, 2 singles, one double, one en suite, 3 reception rooms and giant kitchens. 

• Love 2
On 6/4/2019 at 2:15 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

I started re-watching Stone House Revival again. I really loved that show. Restoring houses to what they were historically is really interesting to me and you could tell the host was really into it. I also liked Restored.

I was just going to post about Stone House Revival thinking that I am the only one who watches. I saw the first season while visiting family initially but couldn't keep up with it because I didn't get the channel in my cable package. I recently got Sling, have the channel, and the show has returned with new episodes. I really enjoy it. The eps could be longer, but I also love seeing these old homes restored or renovated to fit the original history. That time period already interests me, my parents actually live in Bucks County (where most of it is filmed), and it's nice to see homeowners who clearly love their homes and the history and want to bring out the full potential. 

• Love 3

There is a network that has appeared on my cable package: Dabl.  It consists of older home/cooking/redo/decorating shows.  Martha Stewart, several British house hunter-types, Sell This House with Roger and Tanya. Some of the British shows are very dated, decorating wise.  But the buyers, sellers and hosts are fun and easy. No drama, no crashing down walls and windows. A good bit of humor. No entitled house hunters.  You can usually figure out what decade/year they are in by the tv style (flat screen or bulky) or phone style.  I find myself just kicking back with a cup of tea and enjoying. 

• Love 2
On 5/19/2021 at 10:37 AM, Kiki620 said:

I'd like to watch the updated version just to see if Tania has improved her wardrobe at all.  I don't know if it was maybe on TWOP but somewhere she was nicknamed "Tania Mammaries".  Her clothing choices were 99% of the time so inappropriate for work!  Put those things away, Tania!  And I say that in the kindest way because I always thought she had an awesome personality, was great with the homeowners and a nice balance to the terrible Roger.  I guess if you've got it, flaunt it! 

I'm late to this party, but just wanted to mention that the current version of Sell This House is on the FYI channel which is part of the A&E group: https://www.fyi.tv/shows/sell-this-house. I like it, and still like Tanya's onscreen persona. I do not miss Roger. I didn't hate him, but I like the new reboot of the show.

I've been watching the old episodes on DABL, and like @Kemper also tend to watch some of the old Brit shows they run. 

About Tanya's wardrobe in the old series. I think her cleavage-emphasizing wardrobe and the camera angles focused on her mammaries, were producer/director decisions. I also think she may have had a breast enlargement procedure done at some point during the run of the show, and then The Powers That Be decided to go boobalicious with her image on the show. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, EyewatchTV211 said:

I was just going to post about Stone House Revival thinking that I am the only one who watches. I saw the first season while visiting family initially but couldn't keep up with it because I didn't get the channel in my cable package. I recently got Sling, have the channel, and the show has returned with new episodes. I really enjoy it. The eps could be longer, but I also love seeing these old homes restored or renovated to fit the original history. That time period already interests me, my parents actually live in Bucks County (where most of it is filmed), and it's nice to see homeowners who clearly love their homes and the history and want to bring out the full potential. 

I just re-watched the first 3 seasons on Discovery+. Apparently, the new season will be on there after it airs on DIY.

• Love 2

They keep advertising Down Home Fab (or a title sort of like that) on HGTV.   I thought the couple, especially the husband looked familiar.   They were on Teen Mom 2, so that's an automatic not watch for me.   Then, in the commercial they're painting over the lovely woodwork, so that's another reason not to watch. 

• Like 1

What puzzles me is how do some of the “designers” keep getting shows? For me it is Allison…Victoria?; Christina (on the Coast); the couple -I think her name is Jenny; her husband always has on a baseball cap. In one commercial he boasts about being able to produce five children. The over-exposed Property Brothers.

I think Bargain Block is one of the best, freshest shows the network has had in years.  They consider practicality and price. Even though I like Hillary and her designs,  LIOLT is probably the most formulaic one on the network. I must have turned into a curmudgeon-the entire network seems mostly stale and predictable at this point. It is mostly tearing things out and replacing them with whatever decor the magazines/ advertisers want to push. I can’t believe there was not a Martha Stewart decorating show for Christmas; were there any shows about Christmas/winter decor that did not involve hysterical hosts judging a contest? I am old. 🤓

Edited by Kemper
Spelling error
  • Like 1
On 6/18/2020 at 2:13 PM, chessiegal said:

For those of you missing design shows, I was browsing shows on the HGTV Go app, and saw all kinds of shows HGTV no longer airs available for viewing, including Design Cents and Design on a Dime.

I recently checked out both of those shows on Discovery+ based on prior appreciation, and, yikes.  Let us just say there is nothing timeless about the designs.  (Not as awful as the Room By Room duo who were painful at the time and now something you just can't even imagine you're seeing, but bad.)  But it would be great if HGTV aired updated versions of the basic concept, instead of everything being a tear-down that gets rebuilt in a variation on the same bland concept.  As I said in another thread with this issue was raised recently, I particularly appreciated the concept of Design Cents, where each episode was mostly concerned with the primary project, a single room re-done from scratch (but with the walls left intact!), and then there was a secondary segment about another room, that was simply re-designed by moving furniture and decorations around into a different layout and swapping out pieces with other rooms in the house -- freshening up a room without spending a penny.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
9 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I've only seen the ads, not the show yet, but it was strange seeing Tarek with another blond, who looks a lot like Christina, but sounds so very different.

The blonde is his current wife Heather. The show is the Flipping El Moussas. It's currently airing on HGTV.

• Like 1