Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Enigma

scarynikki12
  • Start Topic

Looks like our love square has a winner...for now. I fully expect Naomi to try her hand with her other love interests in the near future, its only episode four. 

I am really glad that Naomi and her parents are on the same page, for the most part anyway, and that they even had Dee over to talk to him. They don't fully trust him, but I can hardly blame them with everything going on. So we have more or less established that this show takes place somewhere in the Arrowverse multiverse, given the references to an Earth 29, where Naomi is apparently from. 

I continue to like Naomi's friend group, I hope that when things settle into a status quo a bit more they can get developed a bit more, especially now that the love square could be taking a break.

• Love 2

Why won't someone from one of those other Earths go something like, "Earth-29? No way. We're #1! You be Earth 29."

Is Lourdes back in school now or was she just hanging around the class prez debate because, Naomi?

Is it just me or does Nathan come across as way too smug?

Watch out, daddy McDuffie. I don't think your commander is quite buying what you're selling.

I should just accept that the science on this show is on the level of The Flash. The Enigma machine and a Turing machine are two different things and there's really no reason to expect either to have some special ability to decipher an alien binary code.

• Love 2

Ah, who doesn't love classic awkward dinner between a girl from another planet, her parents who knew about it and kept it from her, and her new fellow alien that is now her mentor?  We've all been there!

Glad that the revelation was handled in a less angsty way than normal, but I have to imagine Naomi really isn't completely over what her parents did.  I do feel for them and believe they thought they were doing the right thing, but that secret is going to likely put her on edge with them for a while.

Even though Naomi has dropped out of the recall election, it probably wouldn't hurt for Esme to at least think of some kind of compromise like having both healthy and regular candy options at the vending machines.  Pushing for healthy eating is a good thing, but you have to find a way to do it without unleashing a mob of sugar craving teens towards you!

Well, damn, the Quest for Naomi's heart went in an unexpected direction where after looking like he was trailing, Nathan suddenly just jumped past both Lourdes and Anthony, and he and Naomi are a couple again.  Of course, this is only the fourth episode....

Still not sure what to make of Akira/Stephanie March's character yet.  She doesn't seem to be an antagonist but not exactly an ally for Naomi either.

• Love 2

I might be getting too old for these shows, because the teen/high school antics are just not as interesting to me. I want to know more about Naomi's origins and the other aliens, but I realize it'll be a while until we get some solid answers since the mysteries are on 'slow burn'. 😭

I think this was the first episode that the multiverse was mentioned? I'm surprised that Naomi did ask more about that/the show didn't explain it -- even if we the audience are familiar with the concept, Naomi isn't.

They forgot to give a reason why Naomi had to be driven home from Portland, even though she took the bus there.

I guess it's a good thing that there wasn't a whole lot of drama with Naomi and her parents revealing their secrets to each other -- but it seems quite anti-climatic that it's barely changed the status quo. I've thought that they presented Naomi's family unit as a little too perfect, and that the reveals would shake things up, but it looks like that's not happening.

• Love 1
On 2/3/2022 at 8:27 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Even though Naomi has dropped out of the recall election, it probably wouldn't hurt for Esme to at least think of some kind of compromise like having both healthy and regular candy options at the vending machines. 

I'm trying to figure out why the debate for school president was held in the hallway.  That seems like more of a school gymnasium type of thing -- so that maybe more than the 3 dozen or so students sitting in chairs -- in the hallway -- would be able to attend.

And why was Lourdes at the debate -- she doesn't attend school, and doesn't she have a job ?

Naomi seems to be taking all this alien/multiverse stuff a little too calmly.  Same goes for her parents.

I wish they would clarify what Naomi's powers are -- other than the power of conveniently being whatever she needs them to be at the time.

I'll be curious to find out which Earth this is -- likely not Earth-2, and probably not Doom Patrol Earth (Earth-21).

• Love 1

I like the idea that Naomi's journey to self-discovery and her ultimate fate went through an escape room. This is basically the tamer version of Legends of Tomorrow, on account that there's a bit of a "ah, what the fuck" bent to it. "Then she has to get her hands on a Turing Machine . . . which is conveniently located in an escape room."

Or was it an Enigma machine? I really should take notes.

7 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'll be curious to find out which Earth this is -- likely not Earth-2, and probably not Doom Patrol Earth (Earth-21).

I'm thinking "Earth-Whatever-Number-They-Say-It-Is." I joked that this was on Earth-2 (aka Earth-Stargirl) . . . but maybe they're in Earth-Prime ("Earth-0"?), and the town is in its own bubble away from mainstream continuity. Sadly,  I think we have the mudane answer that is each DC Comics-based show away from the CW is in its own continuity.

• Love 1
On 2/4/2022 at 3:49 PM, Trini said:

I think this was the first episode that the multiverse was mentioned? I'm surprised that Naomi did ask more about that/the show didn't explain it -- even if we the audience are familiar with the concept, Naomi isn't.

She's a comic book fan. A DC Comics fan in particular. She's well aware of the concept of a multiverse.

Though to be fair, they could've given her a line something like, "Wait, the multiverse is real? I thought it was just something out of a comic book!"

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

Naomi picked Nathan and he's the one of her suitors she has the least chemistry with IMO. With them getting together this early, I don't see it lasting. 

I am enjoying the show but to me it's still trying to find its rhythm. 

Agreed, he seems the flattest.

So what's going to happen with the dried fruit? Will Esme take a note now?

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness