Type keyword(s) to search

James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser

peacefrog
  • Start Topic

80s is my decade, so Woo Hoo 80s hair!  If only he'd had a thin tie and white sneakers.

My question is about the name Fraser.  It was a big reveal in the book and somewhat in the show, but it meant little to me.  My knowledge of Scottish surnames and clans is limited.  It would've meant something to me if his last name had been Macbeth or McDonalds, but other than that I can only offer blank stares.  Is Fraser an important name?

I this context I don't think it is, I think the important thing is just that it's his real name, which Claire didn't know before and which they'd been trying to keep secret because of the price on his head. Right now it's just that Jamie and the men trust her enough to tell her the truth.

We will learn more about the family in the future and their place in history and also their interaction with the McKenzies, but at this point that doesn't matter much.

• Love 1

I know this is not a book talk thread, so no actual book talk.  But I will say that I, personally, think I like show Jamie a little better than book Jamie at this point.

(Disclaimer: I have only ready up though the first 1/4 of Voyager,

so I have no knowledge of older Jamie

. And I do like book Jamie. I am pacing myself.)  Part of this is down to the way they are adapting him (what the writers choose to have him say and not say). But a lot of it is down to Mr. Heughan, who is a darn fine actor and makes Jamie more believable to me.  YMMV.  

Edited by Athena
Mild book spoiler.
  • Love 6

But a lot of it is down to Mr. Heughan, who is a darn fine actor and makes Jamie more believable to me.  YMMV.  

Perhaps it's that I just can't take my eyes off of him, but I see him use his Adam's apple and his breath control to much better effect than any actor I've ever noticed.  He really uses all the tools at his disposal.  

I know this is not a book talk thread, so no actual book talk.  But I will say that I, personally, think I like show Jamie a little better than book Jamie at this point.

I'm totally with you on this.  I love book Jamie, but sometimes the character feels like how a woman wishes a man would be.  I love the way they're writing show Jamie and especially how Mr. Heughan is playing him. He oozes charisma and his presence looms large every time he's on screen, even when Angus, Rupert, Dougal and Murtagh are stealing the scene.  Yet he remains relatable, which is just as critical because while it's Claire's story, it's a non-starter without a believable Jamie as the cornerstone.  

Edited by islagirl
  • Love 7

I'm not always 100% on board with his line delivery, but every one of his physical acting tics have been spot on. The wedding episode especially, when he gets her out of her corset and feels her up for the first time, Claire's ready to get the show on the road and tells him that it's her turn to undress him, and his reaction is just so genuine and overwhelmed, like his brain has stopped functioning and "oh my God, she let me touch her." 

Even though they haven't given him many interesting things to do, Sam's really brought some life to the character that makes him feel much more real than book Jamie was at times.

Edited by absnow54
  • Love 5

I'm not always 100% on board with his line delivery, but every one of his physical acting tics have been spot on. The wedding episode especially, when he gets her out of her corset and feels her up for the first time, Claire's ready to get the show on the road and tells him that it's her turn to undress him, and his reaction is just so genuine and overwhelmed, like his brain has stopped functioning and "oh my God, she let me touch her." 

Even though they haven't given him many interesting things to do, Sam's really brought some life to the character that makes him feel much more real than book Jamie was at times.

I agree with you.  Sam's line delivery in parts isn't exactly how I took them in the book, but the facial expressions and physical acting tics have been spot on.  I read an interview where he incorporated some of Jamie's book mannerisms into the show.  Stuff that Ron didn't have, like Jamie's twitching fingers when he's stressed.  That's all Sam.  

• Love 4

Hmmmm. Sam's Internet Movie Database (IMDB) listing has changed. His Outlander photos are still there but most of his old photos are gone and his height is now listed as 6ft 2.5 inches, down a half-inch from what it said before. I wonder what provoked the changes? It's never been clear to me how much control actors have over their listing on that site.

I had been under the impression that imdb operated much like a wiki and that users were the ones who contributed and edited pages, which actors also being able to work with their page if they are members.  There is a small section on wikipedia about the content on imdb that might be helpful.  I don't have an imdb account so can't check, but if you do you might be able to check to see if the username of the person who edited is available.  

Well, Sam's earlier photos are back on IMDb and the main photo is a current photo instead of the older one that had become his main photo after the changes (he looked really young in it).  But he's still listed at 6" 2 1/2" in height.  i tweeted a head's up to Sam about the changes but with the tons of tweets he gets from random people I have no idea if he saw it.  Hopefully he has some PR folks keeping an eye on things like that.

But I'm still confused where that 1/2 inch of height went.

I wouldn't be afraid of tweeting Sam again about the IMDb issue. If it's wrong, he'll fix it. Just a matter of making sure he is aware of the issue.

Well, Sam's earlier photos are back on IMDb and the main photo is a current photo instead of the older one that had become his main photo after the changes (he looked really young in it).  But he's still listed at 6" 2 1/2" in height.  i tweeted a head's up to Sam about the changes but with the tons of tweets he gets from random people I have no idea if he saw it.  Hopefully he has some PR folks keeping an eye on things like that.

But I'm still confused where that 1/2 inch of height went.

I stumbled across "A Princess for Christmas" on the Hallmark channel last night so of course I had to watch it (even though I am not the target market for that movie).  I found I spent the entire time thinking about how amazing casting agents are.  How can they look at someone who looks so completely NOT like our JAMMF and recognize that he can transform himself into the role?  Yes I know that is what actors do but still I could hardly believe that the Prince in that movie and Ronny Maze in "Emulsion" is the same man who said to Claire "Ye dinna look that heavy.  I suppose I could throw you over my shoulder.  Do you want me to do that?"   Amazing transformation.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2

That would be easier! One thing I did was go to a site that converts YouTube vids to mp3s (just google for one). So I took this vid and edited using an app called Ringdroid (I have an android) to turn the parts I wanted ("Sassenach") into a ringtone.

I would also be willing to pay a lot of money to have him be the voice of my GPS, ye ken?

Edited by AheadofStraight
  • Love 2

That would be easier! One thing I did was go to a site that converts YouTube vids to mp3s (just google for one). So I took this vid and edited using an app called Ringdroid (I have an android) to turn the parts I wanted ("Sassenach") into a ringtone.

I would also be willing to pay a lot of money to have him be the voice of my GPS, ye ken?

I have an iPhone....I'll have to call my tech person (cuz I'm a technoturd) to figure out how to get rainmaker to make it.

GPS? That would be AWESOME. 

Ye have tae be famili'r wi' the brogue, ye ken, tha' "make a reight a' the roondaboot"=Make a right at the roundabout, or for us here, in the States, "circle.:" DC and MD are just populated wi' circles....ye ken?

I want the words "Sassenach, Aye, No, I'll thank ye tae take yer hands off m' wife" as my ringtone, if'n ye please.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

Aye, I'm in New England and we have lots them and we call them rotaries. :)

I like your list and for the "no", I'd like the "no, no" when he's giving Claire the Scottish Good Morning (aka Scottish Alarm).

Edited by AheadofStraight
  • Love 1
(edited)

Well, there are photos circulating out there of Season 2 filming and our JAMMF is sporting long hair and he is clean-shaven.  He looks so much younger!  I've gotten used to Sam/Jamie always having a bit of a beard, even if it just a few day's growth.  I can't remember the last time we saw him clean-shaven.  Was it The Wedding?

I don't know if facial hair was the fashion in King Louis XV's court but I rather hope that the beard re-appears.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

Well, there are photo circulating out there of Season 2 filming and or JAMMF is sporting long hair and he is clean-shaven.  He looks so much younger!  I've gotten used to Sam/Jamie always have a bit of a beard, even if it just a few day's growth.  I can't remember the last time we saw him clean-shaven.  Was it The Wedding?

I don't know if facial hair was the fashion in King Louis XV's court but I rather hope that the beard re-appears.

Yes, it was at "The Wedding", but it didn't last long, because by night's end, the scrub was back.  And since Gabaldon mentions Jamie's scrub, a LOT, in Dragonfly, I'm hoping it comes back as weel.

If someone were to tell me that I would become obsessed over Sam and his portrayal of Jamie, I would have laughed in their face(s). Please. I only swoon over Daniel Day-Lewis like that.  It's a good thing I never made a bet over that, because for the past week, I've done nothing but think about Sam/Jamie. And I think it was in "The Reckoning", but this one line he says to Claire, while they're arguing, I think? Keeps going through me head in an unending loop:

"Weel. Guid then." I'll just add this to the list of words and phrases I love hearing Sam/Jamie say.

Yes, yes. I need a life. But while I'm recovering, undergoing several surgeries, 'tis a good thing, I think, to be going through me head. Ye ken?

• Love 2

Welcome to the club, GHScorpiosRule! 

(One line I love is when they are fighting after her rescue and he says, "I told ye to stay puuuut!")

OMG I freaking LOVED the way he said that line!!  Another one I loved was during Wentworth after he makes the bargain for Claire's life and they say goodbye he says simply "Do as I say" but something about the way he said it, so... final.  It just broke my heart.

• Love 2

I hate to say this but I'm partial to "You'll no speak to me that way, you foul-mouthed bitch," not for the sentiment but for the delivery.

I also love Cait's tone and facial expression when she says, "But would you listen to me? No, I'm just a woman."

I pretty much like everything about that scene.

• Love 4

Agree and Sam has said in recent interviews that was one of his favorites.

Even though he's mad, the look on his face as he's staring down at her? Yowza. *fans self*

Yep. I just watched that interview and Sam said it was his favorite, or one of them, because they were finally getting to the root of the problems facing Jamie and Claire, and it was "dramatic" I think he said. But yeah, that's one of my favorite scenes, actually.

• Love 2

ChocolateTruffle:  Agree 100% about that one line "Do as I say"  from Wentworth.  It broke my heart, too, when he said it.  I think for me it was because there was always a bone of contention between  Jamie and Claire "I don't take orders from you! I am not your property"  etc  and when he said that there was this authority about it that, I think, normally Claire would have balked at and he wouldn't normally have said to her.  Gah, I'm  not explaining myself very well, but that line just killed me!

• Love 5

I know this topic was discussed earlier in this thread but I just need to get it out there again.  Pinterest has tons of boards dedicated to Outlander, why yes, I am obsessed, thankyouverymuch.  Anywho, there are lots of professional head shots of Sam, I assume probably pre-Outlander and he looks sooooo different and unJamie like, I would LOVE to know what the casting people saw in him that they thought could transpire into Jamie?  Or what picture/video he submitted that got him the job.

I know Diana has said she wasn't on board when she first saw pics of him but when she saw him in person she knew he was Jamie.

Curious if anyone has any other insight? 

I know this topic was discussed earlier in this thread but I just need to get it out there again.  Pinterest has tons of boards dedicated to Outlander, why yes, I am obsessed, thankyouverymuch.  Anywho, there are lots of professional head shots of Sam, I assume probably pre-Outlander and he looks sooooo different and unJamie like, I would LOVE to know what the casting people saw in him that they thought could transpire into Jamie?  Or what picture/video he submitted that got him the job.

I know Diana has said she wasn't on board when she first saw pics of him but when she saw him in person she knew he was Jamie.

Curious if anyone has any other insight? 

I believe Diana said she was on board once she saw his audition tapes, which was later the same day. (She'd been in the car when she got word of his casting, and couldn't see the audition until she got home.)  I don't know if Sam dyed his hair for the auditions, but everyone said he was Jamie, which kind of surprised them.  (His audition scenes included the scene with Dougal about showing his back in "Rent" and the spanking scene.)

It's been mentioned elsewhere on this forum that Sam seems to have the ability to disappear into any role he takes on.

• Love 1

Since Sam tends to be on the slim side, and not as braw as Jamie is...I'm thinking that may be why Gabaldon wasn't too keen on Sam as Jamie.  But we all know, that in the spanking scene and the "Rent" scenes, Sam had put on the weight and looked, well, not as "puny"  for the lack of a better word. Since Book!Jamie is like, 6'4" and huge and well muscled...in short, "ripped." 

• Love 1

It's a blog post. You can read her thoughts and then ignore the comments at the end. (I didn't even look at the comments myself!)

But that's just it-I can never not look at the comments. It's like rubbernecking. It's a weakness, and one I still struggle with!

• Love 2