Type keyword(s) to search

James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser

peacefrog
  • Start Topic

Since Sam tends to be on the slim side, and not as braw as Jamie is...I'm thinking that may be why Gabaldon wasn't too keen on Sam as Jamie.  But we all know, that in the spanking scene and the "Rent" scenes, Sam had put on the weight and looked, well, not as "puny"  for the lack of a better word. Since Book!Jamie is like, 6'4" and huge and well muscled...in short, "ripped."

The thing is, I don't understand the idea that Sam is small. The man is 6'3"! In my family, that would be average but not for most. Isn't average around 5'9" to 5'10"? Gabaldon has also said that Jamie is built more like a basketball player or swimmer than a football player so Jamie wasn't muscle bound. Sam's body type is similar to that of a swimmer. I would hardly call him puny (although I realize you were searching for a word and puny was what you came up with). I'm also not sure where you get the idea that Gabaldon wasn't keen on Sam being Jamie. It sounds like just the opposite. From her blog post it sounds like she was one of his biggest defenders.

I'll sum up the negative comments for you. Basically, people were upset that Sam isn't Chris Hemsworth.

Evidently it took 7 tries and 27 hours in a salon chair to get his hair the right color of red. It's a wonder he still had hair after that!

The thing is, I don't understand the idea that Sam is small. The man is 6'3"! In my family, that would be average but not for most. Isn't average around 5'9" to 5'10"? Gabaldon has also said that Jamie is built more like a basketball player or swimmer than a football player so Jamie wasn't muscle bound. Sam's body type is similar to that of a swimmer. I would hardly call him puny (although I realize you were searching for a word and puny was what you came up with). I'm also not sure where you get the idea that Gabaldon wasn't keen on Sam being Jamie. It sounds like just the opposite. From her blog post it sounds like she was one of his biggest defenders.

I'll sum up the negative comments for you. Basically, people were upset that Sam isn't Chris Hemsworth.

Evidently it took 7 tries and 27 hours in a salon chair to get his hair the right color of red. It's a wonder he still had hair after that!

I was basing my comments based on the posts up thread that said until she saw his audition tapes, Gabaldon wasn't keen on Sam as Jamie. I have nothing against how he normally looks- body wise. But he doesn't normally look muscle bound, and in his audition tapes he is.

I didn't read any of the blogs, articles, or interviews when he was cast. I only know that when I saw his picture as being cast as Jamie, it was what decided me to go ahead and watch this series.

• Love 1
(edited)

Chris Hemsworth!? He's 6'3" as well and he's Australian. Would that be better than a very good actor who's a Scot?!

I have no idea what they were smoking.  Chris Hemsworth is very, very nice to look at and I like him well enough.  Yes, he's tall and well built.  He plays a cartoon god well and he gave a decent performance in "Drive".  But Sam is a far superior actor.  And you just have to watch "Snow White and The Huntsman" to see how dodgy Hemsworth's Scottish accent was.  He played a better Scot than Costner did a Brit (Prince of Thieves was not his finest hour) but that's not saying much.  No, casting a tall, handsome, well built Scot who could act extremely well was definitely the right decision.  Sam has been nothing short of amazing.  Really the whole cast is stellar and I'm thrilled with ALL of the choices made.

Edited by onthebrink03
  • Love 3

From her story, it sounds like it was only a few hours from the time she was informed that they thought they found Jamie until she saw his audition tape so any uneasiness she had didn't last very long.

I agree about Hemsworth. Even if I did think he would make a great Jamie (I don't) I would assume that he's going to be busy for the forseeable future playing Thor and wouldn't be available. I think the right person was cast as Jamie. Most of the comments to that particular blog post were favorable in that they trusted Gabadon's judgement. Considering she felt the need to make the post in the first place there must have been backlash somewhere else. It sounds like there was also a lot of concern over his hair color. This is the most confusing to me. Hair color is a fairly easy fix, 27 hours in a salon chair not withstanding.

• Love 1

I think the story is she was in the car when she got the news and went to his IMDB page on her phone. That's where there were some pictures that she thought were horrible pictures of him. Then she saw the tape and was sold after just a few seconds. She talks about it in a lot of the pre-S1 interviews and panels.

I love, love, love Sam. He's perfect in my opinion, but I can see how it might be a shock at first to suddenly have a physical manifestation of someone that you've imagined on your own for twenty years. I personally am not good at imagining people while I read, no matter how detailed they're described, so when I see an actor playing a book character it's more like adding details to what I imagined, not changing those details.

• Love 1

I think the story is she was in the car when she got the news and went to his IMDB page on her phone. That's where there were some pictures that she thought were horrible pictures of him. Then she saw the tape and was sold after just a few seconds. She talks about it in a lot of the pre-S1 interviews and panels.

I love, love, love Sam. He's perfect in my opinion, but I can see how it might be a shock at first to suddenly have a physical manifestation of someone that you've imagined on your own for twenty years. I personally am not good at imagining people while I read, no matter how detailed they're described, so when I see an actor playing a book character it's more like adding details to what I imagined, not changing those details.

Same here. I rarely picture actual people when I read, just a vague impression. However, I've held off reading the book because I didn't want to be caught up in the details of what was changed. I read A Time to Kill before seeing the movie and I spent most of the time thinking about the changes. On the other hand I read Jurassic Park after seeing the movie so the fact that movie did not kill off John Hammond was fine with me. The novel also killed Ian Malcolm but somehow resurrected him for the sequel novel, which I found more problematic than Ian not dying in the movie.

(edited)

I think the story is she was in the car when she got the news and went to his IMDB page on her phone. That's where there were some pictures that she thought were horrible pictures of him.

Some of those pictures are still there.  In them young(er) Sam looks very GQ, very "European Male Model" in a number of pictures and not at all in sync with my mental picture of Jamie, so I can certainly understand Diana having that reaction.  Have you seen Sam in that Hallmark movie "A Princess for Christmas?"  He's perfectly cast as a young, blond European aristocrat.  He looks nothing like JAMMF in that movie -- he looks like

Lord John, a character we meet in book 3

! The only old photo of Sam on IMDb that hints at JAMMF is one in which he's wearing a WWII flying ace costume and he looks huge (tall, broad shoulders) and very warrior-like, albeit a 20th century warrior.

Casting agents are amazing.  I don't know how they can look past the exterior (hair color, hair cut, lack of facial hair, etc) to see how an actor can transform themselves into a role, but somehow they do it.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2

Great link to Diana's blog, thank you!  And I was strong enough to resist the comments, no need to go there.

I totally get how once they saw Sam act that he became Jamie. How Diana describes that makes perfect sense.  I guess I'm just curious and I doubt we will never get the answer as to what the casting directors saw in those, I'm assuming unJamie like pictures, that told them to bring him in to auction on tape.  Maybe he submitted more Jamielike pics to the casting directors, dunno...

Just a reminder that this is the JAMMF thread so you can talk about Sam. I have made this a neutral thread so both book and non-book readers can post, but please avoid talking too much about the books, the portrayal or Gabaldon. There are other threads for it. Thank you.

The thing is, I don't understand the idea that Sam is small. The man is 6'3"! In my family, that would be average but not for most. Isn't average around 5'9" to 5'10"? Gabaldon has also said that Jamie is built more like a basketball player or swimmer than a football player so Jamie wasn't muscle bound. Sam's body type is similar to that of a swimmer. I would hardly call him puny (although I realize you were searching for a word and puny was what you came up with).

And I don't get where  Jamie the muscle dude comes from . I've got a brother who is about 6 feet , he is a forest worker (cutting down trees ... stuff like that, 8 hours a day  ) and it shows , he looks like somebody with a physically demanding job but not like he spends time in a gym doing extensive weight training .

• Love 2
(edited)

I guess I'm just curious and I doubt we will never get the answer as to what the casting directors saw in those, I'm assuming unJamie like pictures, that told them to bring him in to auction on tape.

I'm betting every muckle-sized Scot in the correct age range got a look-see.  Imagine the out-cry if they hadn't cast a Scot. I'll bet they didn't look at anyone under six feet tall and it had to be someone in their 30s who could play younger

and then later play older.

That must have really narrowed the field.

And I have to disagree with you GHScorposRule I recall the book making much of Jamie's height but not so much of his bulk.  Diana has said that Sam's pre-bulk-up body is actually closer to the Jamie she wrote about.  He's muscled but lean.

The biggest disconnect in the show vs. the books regarding Jamie's look is the fact that everyone else is too tall.  JAMMF's 6'4" height in the book is unusual.  On the show, you don't really notice Jamie being that much taller than anyone else because that makes for awkward shots.  Murtagh made reference to his "muckle" size in The Wedding episode ("muckle" is Scots for "big") but other than that Jamie isn't really portrayed as being markedly taller than other men, which is a bit of a shame.  One of the few times where I became keenly aware of Jamie's size was during the snarling fight between him and Claire by the river after the rescue.  He positively loom over her when he says "Aye told ye to stay PUUUT!"  I love that line.  He also looms very menacingly over Jenny during their welcome home fight.  I'm so glad the cast a short Jenny.  Much funnier visuals there.

ETA: the one other time I can recall it being really obvious that JAMMF is an unusually big dude was in the opening scene of "Wentworth" where he stood head and shoulders above the men standing directly behind him and he was a good bit taller than Taran MacQuarrie as well.  

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2
(edited)

I mentioned this to someone, who agreed wi' me, and it bears repeating:

Sam needs to seriously give me us some more videos of "How to Talk Outlander" where he says "gude" and "buik" multiple times.

And "aye, no, mo chridhe, mo neighan don" and every and all endearments...curses, cheers, Slainte Va!

Wot?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4

Agreed, GHScorpiosrule!  Love Sam's accent and facial expressions.  One of the reasons why I am choosing not read the books is because I just can't picture Sam saying the dialogue.  Anytime I read a little excerpt from any of the books I just can't get that same delivery and it doesn't work for me.  Weird.  

If you haven't already, search for Sam and Catriona reading tweets on YouTube.  Its the cutest video of the two of them reading fan tweets and Sam reads the last one having to do with Claire's boobs.  The way he says "boobs' is freaking adorable, similar to the way he says "books", I can't even attempt to spell it phonetically.  The whole video is super cute.  I cannot believe there isn't something between them in real life.  

• Love 4
(edited)

I just finished watching the musical, 1776 on AMC.  Thomas Jefferson, a red-head, is played by Ken Howard who stands 6'6".  There is a scene where John Adams (played by Williams Daniels) says he will compel Jefferson into writing the Declaration of Independence.  Jefferson steps very close to him, leans over the 5'7" Adams, and says simply "How?"

That is the best visual I've ever seen that comes close to matching my own mental picture of our muckle-sized warrior, JAMMF.  Even the hair color and clothing are right (or close enough.) I hope we see a scene like that in the show.

BTW, I had forgotten how moving 1776 is.  I had only remembered the songs, most of which are funny.  I was choked up by the end. I also wanted the strangle the actor playing the one member of the Continental Congress who was the designated Scot in the show.  His accent -- it pained me.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1
(edited)

Don't forget to vote in the SpoilerTV Character Cup for our beloved JAMMF. He wasn't included in the voting that went up today, but he is seeded very high (obviously) so check every 24 hours.  When the direct link for the first round that he comes up in shows up I will edit to include said link. 

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/07/2015-character-cup-round-1-a.html

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/07/2015-character-cup-1c.html

Vote JAMMF! 

you can only vote once per IP address so make it count.

Edited by Liser78
  • Love 1

Voting is easy peasy..............Jamie is tied. 50% versus 50% 

I don't really think that these type of contests mean anything except for keeping the show and the actor in the "news".  Who knows, maybe a voter for another person sees Sam's picture or the shows name and decides to see what all the fuss is about. Every viewer helps to keep our show on the air. 

Thanks Liser78

• Love 1

And you can vote for Donas too if you continue to scroll down. The woman who is moderating the polls encourages people to discuss the characters and why people should watch in the comments (more so in the first rounds but still). It is silly and just gives fandom /shows bragging rights but it's fun, and it keeps the show trending.

I nominated both Buffy and Peggy in the beginning (and Jaime) but I was voting Buffy. Oh well, Jaime lost and I don't even know who the guy that beat him is. Must be a very organized fandom.

But Donas is through :)

This was a subtlety biased contest.  As competent as I am on a computer, the first time I voted, I missed the drop down box aspect of each category.  Only the first 3 or 4 in each category were visible.  I rushed to vote quickly and it wasn't until my second time on the site that I noticed the drop down.  Oh well.......It is my "wee" way of saying thank you to the show for all the pleasure it has and is giving me.  

Diana posted this on her Facebook page and I think it belongs here.  JAMMF/Sam is a Big Bad Handsome Man.  Who can't dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YPUB5uUnUg&feature=youtu.be

BTW the "Honeypot Dance" reference in the video is a shout out to the two tweets below, which are hysterical when viewed together.

https://twitter.com/thatsVero/status/622864159915569152

https://twitter.com/thatsVero/status/622864221055922177

• Love 1

For those of you who don't Twitter, Sam tweeted another behind-the-scenes photo -- this one from episode 202.  From the opening scene.  I don't know what the right adjective is for these two but it is definitely not "adorable."

https://twitter.com/SamHeughan/status/722077723359911938

The trust and mutual respect as actors Sam and Tobias must have towards each other... I can't imagine what it was like to film those Wentworth scenes, but to be able to look each other in the eye after the shooting is over - and then work with each other again for the nightmare sequence - is the height of professionalism. And maybe a hell of a lot of whisky.

• Love 2

The trust and mutual respect as actors Sam and Tobias must have towards each other... I can't imagine what it was like to film those Wentworth scenes, but to be able to look each other in the eye after the shooting is over - and then work with each other again for the nightmare sequence - is the height of professionalism. And maybe a hell of a lot of whisky.

Honestly, that was one of the only reasons I could watch the last 2 episodes of season 1, which I only got around to in the past few weeks. It was easier for me to watch those horrific scenes knowing that not only are Sam and Tobias still on speaking terms after filming but also that they actually seem to get along really well. 

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, AheadofStraight said:

GAH!!! SWOONING FAINT

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

• Love 2

I like all of those. Very classic and timeless. Menswear these days seem to lean toward the hipster look that my husband would rather be caught dead than wear. He would like these clothes. 

Well done, Sam! You might have just made a Christmas present sale!

Edited by katville
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

The French version of Cosmopolitan Magazine posted this on their Facebook page.  Apparently they've fallen for Sam too.

https://www.facebook.com/Cosmopolitan.fr/videos/10153833994347957/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED#

He is very handsome as Jamie, but I am just not feeling his pre-Outlander look and I don't know why. The straight hair? The "Blue Steel" model looks? Someone said that he looked like a hot Alfie Allen and now I cannot un-see it.