Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Three Exes, Role Playing and a Waterbed

Pallas
  • Start Topic

When Nick talked to Darlene privately in the diner, I hoped he was going to tell her that she is acting like a b!tch.  Then, either dump her or tell her she needs to think about her actions and the role she played in the breakup as part of her "spiritual growth."  Then maybe Darlene could eventually be less annoying.  But, no, they had to go with the "Ben and Darlene are still in love" trope.

On 1/6/2022 at 5:01 AM, MissLucas said:

I more or less tuned out after the scene of Dan 'dealing' with bills and then starting to talk about more expenses (though I guess that atrocity must have come cheap). Not to mention Harris following suit. With every second episode of this show having characters moan about their financial situation that s*it stopped being funny a long time ago.

Meanwhile Jackie can hire two masseuses, so she must be doing well.  Oh wait, she still has to do her laundry at the Conners, so I guess not.

On 1/6/2022 at 5:03 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

Why do I keep watching this?  Must be some lingering affection for the characters?  The writing is awful, the jokes land with a thud (the sequence about the unpaid bills was particularly lame), the shameless mugging continues (Jackie looks unhinged), and Darlene is just a horrible person. The scenes between the two boyfriends were just cringeworthy, but they would never happen.  

I keep watching because the show is getting bad enough that it will be fun to come on to this forum and make fun of how bad it is.  

On 1/6/2022 at 9:37 AM, MrsEVH said:

Maybe he should pay some bills first instead of worrying about furniture.  JMHO.

Except Dan burned the bedroom furniture last episode.  What has he been sleeping on?

On 1/7/2022 at 5:44 PM, ESS said:

If I remember correctly Louise told Dan on the phone to pick what he wanted and they'd figure it out later on as she she couldn't pay for a new bedroom set because she had just paid for the big and fancy wedding she wanted.

And last episode, Dan said that since she used up her money on the wedding, he should pay for the bedroom set.  

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, needschocolate said:

And last episode, Dan said that since she used up her money on the wedding, he should pay for the bedroom set.  

Yes that too! 

Meanwhile, Louise's furniture from her condo had been moved to Dan Conners' front porch, so now where is it?  Dan burned the Dan & Roseanne bedroom furniture so has he been sleeping on the floor of the master bedroom?  Did he move Louise's bedroom set into the house and then dispose of it before he bought the waterbed?

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Meanwhile, Louise's furniture from her condo had been moved to Dan Conners' front porch, so now where is it?  Dan burned the Dan & Roseanne bedroom furniture so has he been sleeping on the floor of the master bedroom?  Did he move Louise's bedroom set into the house and then dispose of it before he bought the waterbed?

Hmm good questions hopefully we'll find all this out soon once Louise is back again from her tour.. or back in general.

• Love 3
On 1/11/2022 at 8:32 AM, UYI said:

If you're talking about Beverly Rose's father, his name is Emilio. ;) 

Oh see, that just proves my point that it's been so long since he's been seen or referenced that I forgot his name, LOL.

Thanks for the correction (not being snarky, I'm a bit of an stickler for accuracy, that'll teach me to not be lazy 🙂 )

• Love 6
On 1/6/2022 at 9:26 AM, marceline said:

The mess they've made of Jackie's character is heartbreaking. She's not quirky. She's an unstable, paranoid lunatic who managed to injure herself with her unhinged behavior. The way she was "guarding" Helen during the basketball game was ridiculous. Just staying in her face and screaming? Were we supposed to think that's funny? And smashing that vase? That's not a healthy way of dealing with anything.

I flash back to the times that the original show so beautifully captured a dramatic moment without histrionics. Remember Jackie and Fred realizing their marriage was over, and just continuing their dinner in melancholy silence?  Dan waiting until Roseanne left for the hospital with Jackie and then by merely picking up his coat the audience (studio and home) let out a huge groan of realization that Fisher was about to get a beatdown?

Metcalf could beautifully pull off demonstrating anxiety and insecurity over her boyfriend's ex and make it so relatable and tragic. Same with the relationship with Louise. She could be outwardly overtly friendly to both yet her heart breaking underneath at dealing with it emotionally. She could break down meaningfully. Instead it's just neon sign blinking "I'm A MANIAC" vibes every.single.episode.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

Metcalf could beautifully pull off demonstrating anxiety and insecurity over her boyfriend's ex and make it so relatable and tragic. Same with the relationship with Louise. She could be outwardly overtly friendly to both yet her heart breaking underneath at dealing with it emotionally. She could break down meaningfully. Instead it's just neon sign blinking "I'm A MANIAC" vibes every.single.episode.

I don't understand the reasoning behind basically destroying Jackie's character like this. Is it just lazy writing or something more insidious?

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't understand the reasoning behind basically destroying Jackie's character like this. Is it just lazy writing or something more insidious?

Honestly me and few others (on discord) kind of feel it isn’t just lazy writing but insidious the entire show not just Jackie but the rest of the family as well. Helford was showrunner for one season on the original and was let go. Man says he never took it personal but the way the conners have handle the family plus the original show history once Roseanne herself was no longer tied to behind the scenes   Or supervising the writing and all like in the original and the revival season that is kind of … like maybe something more is behind the lazy writing and the destruction of a legacy and the characters. Also he one time screwed over the writers for the drew Carey show.

Edited by Rocknrollzombie
  • Useful 2

But why are Metcalf and Goodman complicit? Except for the scene where Jackie went after Becky for neglecting Beverly Rose and Dan blew up about how Mark ruined Becky's life, it's like they're content to just regurgitate whatever garbage they're handed. They saved the show Season 1 by refusing to work without Roseanne - they can't strong arm a change in writing team/showrunner? Sara has no deference to their combined experience and skill?

I suppose it's conceivable that they're in on destroying Roseanne's legacy out of spite, or just think if they mail it in the show will be canceled and they'll be done with it that much faster. Neither makes much sense, though. 

What I'd give for a Dallas-like shower scene and complete reboot, a new writing team who actually loved and valued the original show, bringing back Andy and Jerry and quirky but non-maniacal Jackie...

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, kassa said:

But why are Metcalf and Goodman complicit? Except for the scene where Jackie went after Becky for neglecting Beverly Rose and Dan blew up about how Mark ruined Becky's life, it's like they're content to just regurgitate whatever garbage they're handed. They saved the show Season 1 by refusing to work without Roseanne - they can't strong arm a change in writing team/showrunner? Sara has no deference to their combined experience and skill?

I suppose it's conceivable that they're in on destroying Roseanne's legacy out of spite, or just think if they mail it in the show will be canceled and they'll be done with it that much faster. Neither makes much sense, though. 

What I'd give for a Dallas-like shower scene and complete reboot, a new writing team who actually loved and valued the original show, bringing back Andy and Jerry and quirky but non-maniacal Jackie...

most of us know it would have been different for Becky if Glenn was still around to play Mark. 

This version of the family is mediocre writing at its finest. great god how I hate the conners. Pretty sure at this point I can write an entire essay and pick apart everything in the conners.

Edited by Rocknrollzombie
On 1/20/2022 at 1:07 PM, kassa said:

But why are Metcalf and Goodman complicit?

I don't know the answer for these two in particular, but over the years I've realized that people who work on a show/movie have a very different experience with it than the fans do. Some actors are super invested in the character and plot developments, some stick around because they really love working with their co-stars, and some are just there for a paycheck. Some actors have great memories for story continuity, and some have never watched a single episode of the shows they've been on (which honestly blows my mind). Like I said, I have no idea where Metcalf and Goodman fall on this spectrum, but for two seasoned veterans who have worked on a ton of different projects, it wouldn't surprise me if they view this as an easy gig that they don't need to take too seriously. They might just be happy having a steady paycheck and working with a group of old friends.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

some have never watched a single episode of the shows they've been on (which honestly blows my mind). 

Eh, I can understand that. If for no other reason than it would be weird to watch yourself on TV - I've heard some actors talk about how uncomfortable they feel watching back their performances, 'cause all they wind up doing is nitpicking and scrutinizing how they did and whatnot. 

But yeah, actors and writers will definitely approach working on a TV show differently than us fans/viewers do - we're the ones who'll rewatch episodes over and over and discuss and analyze the episodes and write fic about it and whatnot. For the actors and writers, this is their job. They do their work and then they go home. They may enjoy some of the extra perks and other fun things that the job can bring, but at the end of the day, it's still a job to them. 

Plus, it isn't just the actors and writers who affect how storylines go on a TV show. Network interference and other various outside factors can play a role, things that the actors and writers have little to no control over. 

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Eh, I can understand that. If for no other reason than it would be weird to watch yourself on TV - I've heard some actors talk about how uncomfortable they feel watching back their performances, 'cause all they wind up doing is nitpicking and scrutinizing how they did and whatnot. 

But yeah, actors and writers will definitely approach working on a TV show differently than us fans/viewers do - we're the ones who'll rewatch episodes over and over and discuss and analyze the episodes and write fic about it and whatnot. For the actors and writers, this is their job. They do their work and then they go home. They may enjoy some of the extra perks and other fun things that the job can bring, but at the end of the day, it's still a job to them. 

Plus, it isn't just the actors and writers who affect how storylines go on a TV show. Network interference and other various outside factors can play a role, things that the actors and writers have little to no control over. 

All of this!! It's still weird to me as well some actors/actresses don't watch their work, but as you said I definitely understand why and a lot of their reasons are very valid so I don't blame them. 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

I don't know the answer for these two in particular, but over the years I've realized that people who work on a show/movie have a very different experience with it than the fans do. Some actors are super invested in the character and plot developments, some stick around because they really love working with their co-stars, and some are just there for a paycheck. Some actors have great memories for story continuity, and some have never watched a single episode of the shows they've been on (which honestly blows my mind). Like I said, I have no idea where Metcalf and Goodman fall on this spectrum, but for two seasoned veterans who have worked on a ton of different projects, it wouldn't surprise me if they view this as an easy gig that they don't need to take too seriously. They might just be happy having a steady paycheck and working with a group of old friends.

I remember Goodman saying sitcom work is nice because you don't have to travel all over the place like for movies. As they get older, it must be nice to have something like that.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, I get that. But if I were an actor and worked on something that was super heavy on the special effects I would definitely want to watch it to see what all those green screens ended up looking like.

• Love 2

Darlene makes me cringe. I liked her character on the original, but it seems this show’s ruining any progress she made. She didn’t fully appreciate Ben when they were together & wants to sabotage any relationship he has. Good for Nick in deciding to not date her until she gets her head cleared.

Beverly Rose has taken that TV magic to where she looks 4 or 5 years old suddenly. Happened with lots of characters in the 90’s and even 2000’s shows.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Virtual said:

Darlene makes me cringe. I liked her character on the original, but it seems this show’s ruining any progress she made. She didn’t fully appreciate Ben when they were together & wants to sabotage any relationship he has. Good for Nick in deciding to not date her until she gets her head cleared.

Nick dodged a f-en bullet good for nick

• Love 3