Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Three Exes, Role Playing and a Waterbed

Pallas
  • Start Topic

"Guess you have a type. Guys who live in stores."

Ha. Good catch, Nick.

Well. That was one hell of an awkward double date of sorts. I'm with Heather on wanting some beer - she was smart to just peace out pretty quickly. I also liked Becky trying to ease the tension and massaging Darlene's shoulders to help her remain calm. 

But yeah, Nick was right to call Darlene out on what was really happening during their exchange, and deciding to step back until she figured out some things. I am glad that he and Ben seemed to get on well, though, and didn't let whatever issues were going on with Darlene affect their interaction with each other. And yay for Ben getting his own place, too. I like that they didn't go the predictable route at the end with Ben admitting to still having feelings for Darlene - if they just wind up going back to being good friends, that's fine enough right there. 

Oof to Jackie hurting herself. I can understand some of her concerns about Helen, and the fact he and Helen have Logan to deal with will be something Jackie needs to figure out if she can handle, too. I did laugh at her and Becky discussing an imaginary situation in which Neville and Helen would fall into each other's arms after a tragic day working on animals, though :p. 

As for lighter topics, awwwwww, Dan letting Becky have a night to herself to just relax :). That's sweet. I don't know that I could sleep on a waterbed each night, but that particular one Dan picked did look kinda neat. 

My goodness Beverley Rose has gotten big. 

• Love 18
6 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I guess I haven’t been paying close enough attention. Did she spend two years as a newborn then skip directly to age four?

Sure as hell seemed that way. Unless I really missed something. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
42 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I guess I haven’t been paying close enough attention. Did she spend two years as a newborn then skip directly to age four?

She's adorable.  I can't focus on Helen as Helen, because I can only see her as Michelle Lasso.

• Love 5

Beverly Rose must have an endocrine disorder that makes her grow too fast.  😉

Such dumb, overused, contrived situations.  Who would ever agree to let their new relationship sit down for a few drinks with their ex?  That's just asking for trouble.  But it was all done to make a dumb plot for the show, all designed to show how Ben and Darlene aren't really over.  Well, I have said since day one that I didn't think the show was going to let them be over.  I actually think Ben is endgame for Darlene and the rest is all to make lame plotlines for the show because they can't think of anything better.  Yawn.  Is this being written for 15 year olds now?  Or by them?

Also dumb was Dan and that stupid waterbed.  Becky was right to ask if they even made them anymore.  Waterbeds are way OUT now and not in the groovy sense, LOL.  And even if they still make them they haven't been that bouncy since the 70s.  They were made wave-free in the 90s I think.  I dated a guy back in the day who had a wavy waterbed.  Let's just say it was not fun.  I couldn't sleep on it and having sex was next to impossible, LOL.  I can't believe Dan is serious about that, even he would have a problem dealing with all that bounce.  They are turning him into an idiot who is regressing 50 years.  Does anyone think Louise is going to love that bedroom?  I heard Katey Sagal was back filming the show in November so we will find out how she feels.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 15

OMG, I had no idea who the kid on the waterbed was until she called Becky "Mommy".  I know we haven't seen Beverly Rose for a while, but that's a big change.

In my twenties, a friend had a waterbed, but didn't have a couch, so when we had movie nights at her apartment, it was in the bedroom.  Getting out to make another drink was an adventure, and by the time I went home my spine was practically non-functional.  Dan would have an even harder time; it just makes no sense for him to think this was a good idea.

"Awkward to meet you" and "I guess you have a type - guys who live in stores" from Nick upon meeting Ben was funny, and Ben inviting him to come watch the game would have been nice later on, but right after they met was just weird.  Poor Heather.  "Pitcher of beer, please, and a straw" indeed.  Ben and Darlene still having complicated feelings for each other doesn't mean it isn't over, it just means they're still coming to terms with the fact it is.  Good for Nick calling things off, but the writers' insistence on these maybe Darlene and Ben will get back together nods instead of just exploring how they navigate the new dynamic where their romantic partnership is dead and gone but Ben is still tied to the family is annoying.

Jackie's insecurity about Helen is painful, and I hate how often women are portrayed that way, but I have to admit it makes sense for her.  And Neville should have mentioned their past relationship before.

This was a really blah episode.  I said in the Media thread in response to an interview with EP Bruce Helford about upcoming storylines that one of the big problems with this show compared to the original is too much focus on the characters' romantic relationships with outsiders and too little time spent on the relationships within the family, and this episode was illustrative - we got Becky giving Darlene the shoulder rub and Dan giving Becky a night to herself, which added up to maybe one minute; everything else was Darlene and Jackie's dating lives.  It's all out of balance.

• Love 20

I find it hard to believe that Dan doesn't know how to purchase a simple bedroom set. Louise told him what to do and it looks like he is deliberately doing the opposite just so Louise has to do it when she returns.

• Love 14

I more or less tuned out after the scene of Dan 'dealing' with bills and then starting to talk about more expenses (though I guess that atrocity must have come cheap). Not to mention Harris following suit. With every second episode of this show having characters moan about their financial situation that s*it stopped being funny a long time ago.

No idea why Jackie did not send Neville packing after the whole Helen reveal. He's either a complete idiot or a manipulative ass. But we're in sitcom land and the rules of the game are as tight as in a Kabuki play - s. Darlene and Nick/Ben.

Hello, little girl that I have never seen before. Is there a paper out on the effects that living in a basement has on infant development?

Dan giving Becky a night of her own was sweet. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 11

Why do I keep watching this?  Must be some lingering affection for the characters?  The writing is awful, the jokes land with a thud (the sequence about the unpaid bills was particularly lame), the shameless mugging continues (Jackie looks unhinged), and Darlene is just a horrible person. The scenes between the two boyfriends were just cringeworthy, but they would never happen.  

• Love 22
21 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Dan 'dealing' with bills and then starting to talk about more expenses (though I guess that atrocity must have come cheap). Not to mention Harris following suit.

Are we supposed to find Harris throwing her bills in the garbage funny? And Dan being proud of her for doing that?  

I will keep watching because it is what I do but I'm finding less and less to enjoy about it.  I don't think I cracked a smile once, let alone laugh, one time during this episode.

• Love 20

The mess they've made of Jackie's character is heartbreaking. She's not quirky. She's an unstable, paranoid lunatic who managed to injure herself with her unhinged behavior. The way she was "guarding" Helen during the basketball game was ridiculous. Just staying in her face and screaming? Were we supposed to think that's funny? And smashing that vase? That's not a healthy way of dealing with anything. Plus someone else is gonna have to clean up that broken glass before Beverly Rose steps on it.

Then of course there was the stupidity between Ben and Darlene. It's just so tiresome. Is having Darlene and Jackie compete for most self-sabotaging narcissist a deliberate choice by the writers or do they just think this is entertaining?

9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I dated a guy back in the day who had a wavy waterbed.  Let's just say it was not fun.  I couldn't sleep on it and having sex was next to impossible, LOL. 

Same. Seeing that waterbed gave me PTSD.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 13

I agree about Jackie's behavior. I find her sad and cringy now. She was great when she acts normal and the voice of reason. She literally slapped sense into Darlene and Becky but is blind when it comes to herself.

Throughout this episode, I kept thinking she needs Rosanne to yell out some hard truths. I think she needs therapy. She's been lost without her sister.

On a lighter note, I didn't wear my glasses and was wondering why Mary was so small.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • LOL 7
  • Love 7

The waterbed gave me flashbacks to the original series when Dan and Roseanne were mattress shopping. 

I guess this is their way of addressing the age difference between Jackie and her boyfriend.  It could be an interesting story and conversation, but they’ll probably make it terrible with Jackie being so unhinged. 

At this point, I’d rather Darlene go into the attic and just keep Harris and Mark. I’m just over her and Ben, although I don’t mind them separate. 

SORASed Beverly Rose doesn’t bother me. It will be nice to see her interact with the other cast members. Maybe it will lead to more interesting stories than what we’re seeing now. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I find it hard to believe that Dan doesn't know how to purchase a simple bedroom set. Louise told him what to do and it looks like he is deliberately doing the opposite just so Louise has to do it when she returns.

Maybe he should pay some bills first instead of worrying about furniture.  JMHO.

15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

That's been done on other shows as well. The child will be like 1-2 years old and then suddenly be 5 or 6.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I more or less tuned out after the scene of Dan 'dealing' with bills and then starting to talk about more expenses (though I guess that atrocity must have come cheap). Not to mention Harris following suit. With every second episode of this show having characters moan about their financial situation that s*it stopped being funny a long time ago.

I guess no one knows about Harris' situation. I understand Dan not being completely out of the hole in debt but aren't the kids supposed to help with bills? Shouldn't they be a little caught up?

I was indifferent to Nick but now I am Team Nick after how Darlene acted. Did she really find her behavior fun and attractive? Normal people run from people acting like her. Who needs that drama?

• Love 16

Definitely with other posters here on the bills situation. In the OG run of the show, they showed them struggling or being behind on payments for more realistic reasons, and it wasn't necessarily played for the laughs it was supposed to have been here. Now it's "look at us shirking our responsibilities and we don't care, ha ha!"

NuBeverlyRose is adorable.

• Love 9
26 minutes ago, RunningMarket said:

Definitely with other posters here on the bills situation. In the OG run of the show, they showed them struggling or being behind on payments for more realistic reasons, and it wasn't necessarily played for the laughs it was supposed to have been here. Now it's "look at us shirking our responsibilities and we don't care, ha ha!"

NuBeverlyRose is adorable.

Well, there was a running joke about putting the gas bill check in the electric company envelope, not signing the checks or various other ways of not paying their bills.

• Love 10
50 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Well, there was a running joke about putting the gas bill check in the electric company envelope, not signing the checks or various other ways of not paying their bills.

True. OK, so they've always been awful.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Every child on this show has generally aged normally, so to see a roughly four or five year old Beverly Rose pop up like this is fucking General Hospital or Days of our Lives was weird, to say to the least.

(Then again, as long we don't see anyone DE-SORASED/suddenly made into a younger character--a la Days' Mike Horton or Guiding Light's Susan/Daisy Lemay--I'll try to be more forgiving, maybe.)

He was joking, but I was on Ben's side when he said he hoped that Darlene stays alone for the rest of her life. She deserves it, and I'm glad Nick knew when to peace out and go.

The show ended with Becky getting something nice, so I'll be grateful...for now. ;) 

• Love 11

This episode didn’t do so well in rating a new low for the conners. I swear to god if it keeps being crap in ratings and gets renewed just end it already. Show has jumped shark a number of times already. Sorry for I guess weird phrase/word format currently sick and had to leave work today. 

them doing bad in ratings is just like a highlight for me today sorry to those who enjoy but this show and the characters needs to be put back to rest.

Edited by Rocknrollzombie
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, MissLucas said:

more or less tuned out after the scene of Dan 'dealing' with bills and then starting to talk about more expenses (though I guess that atrocity must have come cheap). Not to mention Harris following suit. With every second episode of this show having characters moan about their financial situation that s*it stopped being funny a long time ago.

They were doing that in the original series -you would think after 30 years Dan the Beer Case Man would have learned how to you know-budget?

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Love 5
On 1/6/2022 at 12:37 AM, Bastet said:

Jackie's insecurity about Helen is painful.

Why?  The heiffa was gorgeous, which Neville lied about plus the fact THEY WERE ONCE ENGAGED!  Shit, I’d be insecure about it too.

Loved Ben and Darlene’s give and take at the end, especially him preparing her a natural ingredients hangover drink (“Yeah, I know just how much red pepper to use.”)

Didn’t like the waterbed either and hope Louise lets Dan know and makes him change it.

• Love 5

Yeah, it's a throwback to original Roseanne. The problem is that it's not funny and it wouldn't work anyway. The electric company and the gas company don't care if it looks like you made a mistake. They're going to cut you off regardless. And besides utilities and phone, I'd like to know what else comprised the massive stack of bills on that table. It's one thing to be struggling, it's another to look financially irresponsible. 

I slept on a waterbed for most of my 20's, and that should tell you something about my age. At some point I started getting really bad neck cramps and back problems I've never fully recovered from. No way someone Dan's age will be able to tolerate it.

Biggest (and maybe only) laugh for me was Becky saying "What if I become too groovy?"

This is the first time I noticed that Jay Ferguson's name is in the opening credits as a series regular, so I guess he's not going anywhere.

• Love 9

I couldn't sleep on it and having sex was next to impossible, LOL. 

We had a waterbed after we got married, as did many of our friends in the early ‘80s. We had no problem with sleeping or sex, conceived two kids in it (on it?). But then the sore back started and we replaced it.

I don’t understand the furniture issue though. Between Dan and Louise, shouldn’t they have two houses’ worth of furniture to pick from? Why are they buying more? And even if you’re not the sentimental type, wouldn’t Louise want to pick out the bedroom set herself, or with Dan? Look at the Conner house, Dan clearly has terrible taste. 

I also don’t understand why the Conners can’t get their financial shit together. Aren’t there four working adults living in that house? Surely between them, they make enough to pay the bills. And why isn’t the mortgage paid off yet? Dan is the worst with money, and the Conners make terrible financial decisions constantly, then complain they can’t get ahead. Here’s an idea: get steady jobs that pay, and keep working for several years until you’ve saved some money. Pursue your interests (motorcycles, writing) as side hustles until they become lucrative.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Why?  The heiffa was gorgeous, which Neville lied about plus the fact THEY WERE ONCE ENGAGED!  Shit, I’d be insecure about it too.

Her insecurity is understandable, her actions are unhinged. How did no one stop the basketball game when she started "guarding" her by screaming in her face and say "what the hell is wrong with you?"

7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah, it's a throwback to original Roseanne. The problem is that it's not funny and it wouldn't work anyway. The electric company and the gas company don't care if it looks like you made a mistake. They're going to cut you off regardless. 

They might cut you some slack the first time, but I'm sure they'd catch on pretty quick. I once sent in a credit card payment and realized a few days later that I wrote the check but it was still in my checkbook. I called and explained (since I had sent back the payment stub and I wasn't sure what to do) and they were nice enough to waive the late fee (since at that point it wouldn't get there in time and this was before everything could be easily paid online) but I'm sure they noted it and I wouldn't get away with it a second time.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Shermie said:

I don’t understand the furniture issue though. Between Dan and Louise, shouldn’t they have two houses’ worth of furniture to pick from? Why are they buying more? And even if you’re not the sentimental type, wouldn’t Louise want to pick out the bedroom set herself, or with Dan? Look at the Conner house, Dan clearly has terrible taste. 

If I remember correctly Louise told Dan on the phone to pick what he wanted and they'd figure it out later on as she she couldn't pay for a new bedroom set because she had just paid for the big and fancy wedding she wanted.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Louise told Dan on the phone to pick what he wanted and they'd figure it out later on as she she couldn't pay for a new bedroom set because she had just paid for the big and fancy wedding she wanted.

So another person in the house with shitty financial skills? Pay for a big fancy wedding when they can’t afford to cover the hydro bill? Brilliant. Louise fits right in.

• Love 10

I just watched this scene online to make sure I remembered it correctly. When Jackie was flailing around during her unhinged basketball antics, she hurt her *left* leg. At least that's the leg she grabbed, don't you usually grab your hurt leg when you injure it? A few minutes later, she's laying on the sofa with her *right* leg propped up. I know continuity is hardly this series' strong point, but sheesh. 

On 1/6/2022 at 5:03 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

Why do I keep watching this?  Must be some lingering affection for the characters?  The writing is awful, the jokes land with a thud (the sequence about the unpaid bills was particularly lame), the shameless mugging continues (Jackie looks unhinged), and Darlene is just a horrible person. The scenes between the two boyfriends were just cringeworthy, but they would never happen.  

I know. I know. As emotionally invested as I am...or was...in the characters, I'm finding it harder and harder to not downright loathe them at this point. Even Dan. In fact, the only one I can think of having any affection for is Mark, and he only shows up every 2 or 3 episodes. And he can't carry the whole sordid mess. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
19 hours ago, lostsock said:

I just watched this scene online to make sure I remembered it correctly. When Jackie was flailing around during her unhinged basketball antics, she hurt her *left* leg. At least that's the leg she grabbed, don't you usually grab your hurt leg when you injure it? A few minutes later, she's laying on the sofa with her *right* leg propped up. I know continuity is hardly this series' strong point, but sheesh.

Yeah,  I noticed that too,but if it isn't  Darlene centered little things don't count

• Love 3
On 1/7/2022 at 12:44 PM, iMonrey said:

This is the first time I noticed that Jay Ferguson's name is in the opening credits as a series regular, so I guess he's not going anywhere.

His name has actually been in the opening credits for awhile now. Maybe this season it's only been there in episodes he appears in, I'm not sure, but it was definitely there all last season, and maybe the season before that, too. 

• Useful 2
4 minutes ago, UYI said:

His name has actually been in the opening credits for awhile now. Maybe this season it's only been there in episodes he appears in, I'm not sure, but it was definitely there all last season, and maybe the season before that, too. 

Re. the bolded:  I think he's in the credits even when he's not in the episodes, so I checked IMDb and, yep, those non-Ben episodes are listed - as "(credit only)" - on his page.

• Love 3
On 1/7/2022 at 8:44 PM, ESS said:

If I remember correctly Louise told Dan on the phone to pick what he wanted and they'd figure it out later on as she she couldn't pay for a new bedroom set because she had just paid for the big and fancy wedding she wanted.

What I recall is her saying pick what you like and then tell the salesperson to go with the opposite.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Starchild said:

What I recall is her saying pick what you like and then tell the salesperson to go with the opposite.

Ah okay well I was close..at least with the first part of it.

Edited by ESS
On 1/5/2022 at 9:38 PM, SoMuchTV said:

And boy!! This Covid sure is lasting a long time then!🤔🙂

• LOL 3
On 1/6/2022 at 2:48 PM, Arcadiasw said:

I guess no one knows about Harris' situation. I understand Dan not being completely out of the hole in debt but aren't the kids supposed to help with bills? Shouldn't they be a little caught up?

I was indifferent to Nick but now I am Team Nick after how Darlene acted. Did she really find her behavior fun and attractive? Normal people run from people acting like her. Who needs that drama?

And what a fucking bitch. Didn’t she yell out “loser” or something when he was leaving the diner? 

• Love 3
On 1/6/2022 at 12:37 AM, Bastet said:

Jackie's insecurity about Helen is painful, and I hate how often women are portrayed that way, but I have to admit it makes sense for her.  And Neville should have mentioned their past relationship before.

Well, Neville is apparently paying her enough to get an apartment and pay all expenses for herself and Logan, so he is effectively financing her family.

On 1/6/2022 at 2:48 PM, Arcadiasw said:

I guess no one knows about Harris' situation.

Where is Harris living?

I hope Becky ran down and got something more comfortable to wear than jeans for her night of relaxation.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, chediavolo said:

And what a fucking bitch. Didn’t she yell out “loser” or something when he was leaving the diner? 

Yep and it pissed me off. Nick has been nothing but understanding and open. He's put up with all of Darlene's craziness: the fight with Harris, her insistence on giving him a phone, and now this idiocy with Ben. It's telling that when Nick did the healthy thing and called out the dysfunction dynamic and suggested that they pause, she lashed out at him and called him a loser. Darlene is a perfect example of a toxic person who becomes hostile when you try to set healthy boundaries. She simply doesn't know how to function in a healthy relationship. I hope Nick never speaks to her again.

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, marceline said:

Yep and it pissed me off. Nick has been nothing but understanding and open. He's put up with all of Darlene's craziness: the fight with Harris, her insistence on giving him a phone, and now this idiocy with Ben. It's telling that when Nick did the healthy thing and called out the dysfunction dynamic and suggested that they pause, she lashed out at him and called him a loser. Darlene is a perfect example of a toxic person who becomes hostile when you try to set healthy boundaries. She simply doesn't know how to function in a healthy relationship. I hope Nick never speaks to her again.

This. I want Darlene to be alone forever, if possible.

(Also: Are you Marceline from the SON forum? I was MissLlanviewPA back when I still posted there--as my Gabrielle avatar probably makes clear, lol! I remember you preferred Max & Luna over Max & Gabrielle. If it's you, it's good to see you over here! You always have had fantastic posts. :) )

• Love 2
5 hours ago, marceline said:

Yeah, although I wasn't Team Nick because the actor also played a bad person in another show I watch, at the same time as being on The Conners, and I prefer manly men to new age woo woo men, I agree that Nick was treated badly by Darlene and hope he can spin off somewhere else without the bitch and her dysfunctional family.  He is not a loser.

• Love 4
On 1/8/2022 at 3:14 PM, One Tough Cookie said:
On 1/7/2022 at 8:02 PM, lostsock said:

Yeah,  I noticed that too,but if it isn't  Darlene centered little things don't count

I'll amend my previous statement about Mark being the only character I have any affection for. I had forgotten about Enrique and D.J., who I both like, but I can't remember when either one of them were last on. I think I see a pattern here (*cough* Darlene *cough*)

• Love 3

I only half watched and missed the new Beverly Rose entirely . So her voice coming out of the bathroom was  a shock for me. 
So this should mean that  her Dad has made it past the two year mark and can apply for a spousal visa  now? 
 I’m confused though - we are in season 4. What season was she born in again? How old is she really supposed to be? 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I only half watched and missed the new Beverly Rose entirely . So her voice coming out of the bathroom was  a shock for me. 
So this she should mean that  her Dad has made it past the two year mark and can apply for a spousal visa  now? 
 I’m confused though - we are in season 4. What season was she born in again? How old is she really supposed to be? 

I believe she was born in the season 2 premiere and I think she's supposed to be about 2 or 3 now and yes we are in season 4 now.

Edited by ESS
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, lostsock said:

I'll amend my previous statement about Mark being the only character I have any affection for. I had forgotten about Enrique and D.J., who I both like, but I can't remember when either one of them were last on. I think I see a pattern here (*cough* Darlene *cough*)

If you're talking about Beverly Rose's father, his name is Emilio. ;) 

• Love 3