Type keyword(s) to search

American Auto - General Discussion

• Start Topic

There was no interruption here. I wonder if the local affiliates made that decision on a local basis.

They are at Wesley's grandfather's funeral. Kathrine and Sadie are talking and K says she basically hates coming to these events, since she didn't know the deceased, but of course they have to make an appearance.

I forget who, but someone allegedly in the know informs Katherine with a somewhat gloaty air about him, that if the stockprice doesn't make a particular benchmark by a specific deadline, she loses her job. She's not worried, but then they overhear that all of Wesley's family is planning to sell their shares, which will make the price drop a lot. So  she and her team start trying to mingle and convince each family member not to sell.

I think that covers the first 7 minutes.

• Like 1

S02.E12: Dealer Event

NUP_200683_01902.thumb.jpg.fe1ffa59edb1ff32381ea5e4f41b40bc.jpg
Katherine is deathly afraid of rodents but is forced to drive a Pika filled with rabbits for the annual dealer event; Wesley takes Jack under his wing and teaches him how to schmooze the dealers; Sadie, Cyrus and Elliot struggle with a presentation.

Premiere Date: April 11, 2023     NBC    8:30pm 
Kaliko Kauahi as Tammy
NUP_201260_00003.jpg

S02.E13: Judgement Day

(Season Finale)
american-auto-2x13-finale-renewed-cancel
Katherine and her team make one last effort to raise the Payne stock and save their jobs by rallying behind the launch of the Pika. When global events cause the whole market to crash, Katherine loses hope that Payne will ever recover.

Premiere Date: April 18, 2023     NBC    8:30pm 
NUP_200606_01513.thumb.jpg.fd67c4c13450a39e27839167fb4e6e1a.jpg

As soon as the hospitalized analyst perked up, I knew that the news of Katherine leaving would lead to the stock price rising, but it was still a good episode.  I hope it's not the final episode ever, but if it is, it ended on a good note.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 5
10 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

As soon as the analyst perked up, I knew that the news of Katherine leaving would lead to the stock price rising, but it was still a good episode.  I hope it's not the final episode ever, but if it is, it ended on a good note.

Yes, it did seem like a 'wrap-up" episode, with the Pika being a success, but if it comes back, they could continue with all the goings on in the office...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, nelroy78 said:

I hate to wish cancellation on this show, but don’t know how you can possibly come back for Season 3 after that ending. 

I saw the ending as a reset.  The company is doing well, the Pika is a success, they can (try to) do whatever they want now.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, nelroy78 said:

I hate to wish cancellation on this show, but don’t know how you can possibly come back for Season 3 after that ending. 

It might be interesting that all the shareholders want Katherine to resign, but the board just renewed her contract. How much power does Wesley Penis have right now?

• Like 2

They already did something like this, but I was thinking they sell 10 million Pikas and then have to recall them all because they have a safety issue.

Or maybe now the dealers are upset with them for selling direct only and "Cutting the dealers out" of the transaction-- even though they only did it because the dealers didn't want it. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

They already did something like this, but I was thinking they sell 10 million Pikas and then have to recall them all because they have a safety issue.

Or maybe now the dealers are upset with them for selling direct only and "Cutting the dealers out" of the transaction-- even though they only did it because the dealers didn't want it. 

And how do customers even get their cars? Is each one personally driven to their home? (Hopefully someone thought of this, but I'm not too confident.)

Also, don't most people want to test-drive a car before they buy it? I'm just wondering if this sales model can really work after the initial excitement wears off. 

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

And how do customers even get their cars? Is each one personally driven to their home? (Hopefully someone thought of this, but I'm not too confident.)

Also, don't most people want to test-drive a car before they buy it? I'm just wondering if this sales model can really work after the initial excitement wears off. 

It's pretty much the model that Carvana currently does. The car is delivered to your driveway 

• Useful 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I think it can work quite well if Payne gives tons of options to choose from. Custom paint colors and lots of custom parts could get a $10,000 car closer to $20,000, with people happier because they got exactly what they wanted.

If you have a fancy cellphone, do you need a radio and a GPS, just give them a place to sit their phone and a jack that can access the speaker system and provide power.

Edited by AnimeMania
2 hours ago, Court said:

It's pretty much the model that Carvana currently does. The car is delivered to your driveway 

Right, and that's their business model (for used cars.) Payne is going to have to hire a lot of drivers to go to distribution points to pick up the cars and deliver them all over the country. And pay the drivers enough to Uber back to where they started. It's going to involve a lot of logistics and add to the cost of the cars.

5 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Right, and that's their business model (for used cars.) Payne is going to have to hire a lot of drivers to go to distribution points to pick up the cars and deliver them all over the country. And pay the drivers enough to Uber back to where they started. It's going to involve a lot of logistics and add to the cost of the cars.

I think it reduces the cost of cars. Payne doesn't have to add cost to pay commissions to dealers to sell the car. Cars don't sit on the lots not making money. Payne could have cars transported to Payne dealerships and customers could pick them up there.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I think it reduces the cost of cars. Payne doesn't have to add cost to pay commissions to dealers to sell the car. Cars don't sit on the lots not making money. Payne could have cars transported to Payne dealerships and customers could pick them up there.

Agreed, but they would have to pay the dealerships something for use of their lots, even if only for short periods of time, and the dealers would have to be amenable, because the Pika is now their competition.

8 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Agreed, but they would have to pay the dealerships something for use of their lots, even if only for short periods of time, and the dealers would have to be amenable, because the Pika is now their competition.

Getting more people to your car lot is always a good thing. Most people want to buy a new car after seeing new cars. If you are picking up a new Pika, somebody else has to drive you there. There might be a lot of after market things that need doing with license, registration and insurance. There will always be someone who doesn't know you buy the car online and would want to buy one from a dealer or might want a test drive, so dealers might want a couple of Pikas on hand. I guess the dealers would also have to do the repairs.

• Like 1

Maybe they will make a deal with some other business, to use THEIR lots-- an extra FU to the dealers who wouldn't sell them, and a cross-promotional opportunity with the other company...which could also go awry. Like if they pick a fast food place, or a movie theater chain, or ... I don't know... a supermarket? Costco?... anything other than a liquor store or bar... and then there's a conflict when that company has a scandal of its own.

Or, when people actually get the cars, they don't like them and want to back out of the deal-- the trouble that could cause would be epic.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Or, when people actually get the cars, they don't like them and want to back out of the deal-- the trouble that could cause would be epic.

That thought had also occurred to me. I was actually expecting something to go wrong with the car when Cyrus, Katherine and Dorie were taking it for a drive.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 1

I get viewer surveys for NBC, and the latest one was all about American Auto, which characters I like, what I thought they should pay more/less attention to, whether certain pairings work, etc. I hope it's a good sign, that they still want to work on and put effort into the show.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

So bummed about the cancellation.  Season 1 was pretty bad, but they really turned things around in Season 2. It was finding that sweet spot with the character development and performances. I really believe it could have caught on as a sleeper hit with one more season. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Well that's a bummer. And I realized now that perhaps I am part of the renewal issue. I have just gotten around to watching the second season (cable dvr recording) in the last month, finishing the last three episodes tonight. 

Off now to do the same with Grand Crew. I am debating just heading over to that thread to see if it has been cancelled also. If it has I may not finish the second season. 

Is it posted anywhere else what Spitzer is working on now?

eta lol I went to the link above and see that I can just go ahead and delete Grand Crew. 

Why do cute offbeat shows that I like always get cancelled? 

eta two: I guess if I would read a link before posting I would find my answers quicker. The link tells what Spitzer is working now. It sounds interesting.

Edited by stewedsquash