Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvels (2023)

tv echo
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, starri said:

The more I think about this, the more I like it.  When it was first announced, I was actually annoyed, because it seemed like they had so little faith in Carol that she couldn't even headline her own sequel.  I don't know if this is "better" per se than a solo movie, but it looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

I had some of the same thoughts. But my guess is that Brie pushed for this which helped to temper my annoyance. She has said the main reason she turned down the role initially is that she didn’t want the level of attention that came with starring in a Marvel movie. And she has a diversity rider in her contracts. 

I really hate that I feel like this movie and Brie still have something to prove. I’m so tired of movies with diverse leads having so much pressure to prove the value of representation every single time. 

1 hour ago, starri said:

"Teaming up changes everythingone."

I like it but think I preferred the tagline on the first poster, “Higher. Further. Faster. Together.”

3 hours ago, starri said:

The more I think about this, the more I like it.  When it was first announced, I was actually annoyed, because it seemed like they had so little faith in Carol that she couldn't even headline her own sequel.  I don't know if this is "better" per se than a solo movie, but it looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

As long as there's balance in the writing, it should be fine. Carol's "Hi" when she first sees Monica at Kamala's house says they have yet to work out the reason Monica didn't even want to talk about Carol during WandaVision. Yes, Monica was a victim of the Snap, but what about before that?

• Like 2

The Marvels: New Marvel Leends Movie Figures Revealed by Hasbro
BY JESSE SCHEDEEN   JUN 6, 2023
https://www.ign.com/articles/the-marvels-new-marvel-legends-movie-figures-revealed-by-hasbro 

Fittingly, the three movie-based figures in this series focus on the new superhero trinity that forms the crux of The Marvels - Brie Larson's Captain Marvel, Iman Vellani's Ms. Marvel and Teyonah Parris' Photon. All three figures feature detailed, lifelike facial sculpts using Hasbro's "Photo Real" technology.

photon1.png 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Dani said:

New trailer just released. With the timing, I’m guessing it is showing before Barbie  

I'm guessing the timing had more to do with Comic-con. I think it's kind of a consolation prize, now that any panels they would've had are cancelled.

8 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I'm guessing the timing had more to do with Comic-con. I think it's kind of a consolation prize, now that any panels they would've had are cancelled.

Two birds, one stone. Appealing to comic fans who are already paying attention to Comic-Con and to women going to see Barbie. 

For anyone who doesn’t have Disney+ but wants to watch Ms Marvel before The Marvels, the full series will be airing on ABC next month. The first three episodes on August 5th and the last three of August 12th. 

On 7/21/2023 at 4:19 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Why are people quick to trash this movie before it’s even out? This looks fun!

I really hope Carol doesn’t get too much crap over the Skrull fallout.

It's not trashing a movie if you have legit concerns over the trailer.

At this point I don't see myself spending my hard earned cash at the theatre for this based on the trailer. 

On 7/21/2023 at 1:19 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Why are people quick to trash this movie before it’s even out? This looks fun!

It’s so frustrating that I have to be so careful in how I use certain sites so that I don’t see the toxic fans that come out in force whenever Carol comes up. 

The plus side is that there are certain phrases and arguments that allow me to immediately stop paying attention. Captain Marvel has become my litmus test for reviewers and content creators. If I find someone new that I think might be interesting I immediately look at their take on Captain Marvel. 

13 minutes ago, Dani said:

It’s so frustrating that I have to be so careful in how I use certain sites so that I don’t see the toxic fans that come out in force whenever Carol comes up. 

The plus side is that there are certain phrases and arguments that allow me to immediately stop paying attention. Captain Marvel has become my litmus test for reviewers and content creators. If I find someone new that I think might be interesting I immediately look at their take on Captain Marvel. 

I actually found the first one fine, but nothing special. If it had been about Carl Danvers and his friend Max Rambeau, completely forgettable. Even then, I've seen enough female-fronted action movies. But I don't think I have any special agenda. Everything I watch, I want to love. Just didn't happen that time. Currently hoping that The Marvels is a movie I do love.

46 minutes ago, Anduin said:

But I don't think I have any special agenda. Everything I watch, I want to love. Just didn't happen that time. Currently hoping that The Marvels is a movie I do love.

I wasn’t talking about anything that I have seen here. Other places there are a lot of people trashing this movie since the moment it was announced. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

I wasn’t talking about anything that I have seen here. Other places there are a lot of people trashing this movie since the moment it was announced. 

That's fair enough. There's a lot of shitheads out there, sadly. :(

• Like 3
(edited)

Brie Larson returns as Captain Marvel in our exclusive new look at The Marvels
By Jack Shepherd   August 11, 2023
https://www.gamesradar.com/the-marvels-exclusive-images-total-film/ 

Of course, with so many superheroes, there needs to be a terrifying villain for them to take on. Enter Zawe Ashton's Dar-Benn, a Kree warrior and one of Carol Danver's many adversaries. "Dar-Benn represents a new era of the Kree Empire after a cataclysmic encounter with Captain Marvel in the past," executive producer Mary Livanos tells Total Film. "So, from the ashes of the Kree Empire, Dar-Benn rose."
... Here, you can see two exclusive images from The Marvels – one of Larson's Carol Danvers, the other of Ashton's Dar-Benn.

kEn24Mq6FnfURWYxLfsgSC-1200-80.jpg

gqKHS8KqvNEyrVu8bC3VgV-1200-80.jpg

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

The Marvels team say the movie will likely have big implications for the upcoming Avengers films
By Kim Taylor-Foster Contributions from Molly Edwards published 4 days ago
https://www.gamesradar.com/the-marvels-avengers-future-implications/ 

It all ties to an artefact in villain Dar-Benn's possession: the second bangle that forms a pair with the one Kamala Khan wears. Kamala's bangle unlocked her latent mutant powers, but one of the questions hanging over the conclusion of Ms. Marvel was around the location of the second bangle. Now we have our answer. "You'll get enough of the story of how and why Dar-Benn has acquired the bangle," says DaCosta.

Livanos says that's revealed early on. "In Ms. Marvel, we learned that the bangle, paired with some other form of power, can force a temporary hole in space and time to lead to somewhere else," she explains. "With the power of both bangles, more is definitely possible. And we see the culmination of that over the course of this movie. It definitely leads to plentiful opportunities for the future of the MCU, whatever the Avengers and Secret Wars teams may want to do with them."
Livanos says that The Marvels primarily explores the ramifications of Carol Danvers' actions in the main universe, but adds that "the plot deals with some fluctuations in time and space, and there's definite danger afoot that could affect the multiverse". She continues, "Where it all leads is a bit of a spoiler, and exactly how it'll all pan out in an Avengers movie is currently being figured out right now. But we're definitely ending our characters in places that allow for plentiful opportunity."

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

The Marvels: Nia DaCosta Explains The Sisterly Relationship Between Carol Danvers, Kamala Khan And Monica Rambeau – Exclusive Image
BY SOPHIE BUTCHER    August 29, 2023
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/the-marvels-nia-dacosta-sisterly-relationship-carol-danvers-kamala-khan-monica-rambeau-exclusive-image/ 

“I thought it would be cool to map an estranged family history and sister story onto them,” DaCosta exclusively tells Empire, in our brand new Dune: Part Two issue. “Carol’s the oldest, the prodigal, then there’s the middle sister Monica, who Carol knew as a kid and promised she’d come back [to] but then never did.” That broken promise and the decades of history between the pair, including the fact that Carol was absent for the death of her best friend and Monica’s mother, Maria (played in Captain Marvel by Lashana Lynch), is set to be a big source of tension in the new movie, despite all the comedic body-swapping antics we’ve seen in the trailer. “All the switching stuff is great,” says DaCosta of the pair’s ability to swap powers. “But the thing I actually care about is how these two reconcile.”
One of the most recent additions to the Marvel universe, and rounding out the sisterly trio, Kamala Khan developed her ability to manipulate cosmic energy when she discovered her grandmother’s bangle, which connects her to the Noor dimension. She’s also a huge Captain Marvel fangirl. “Kamala is the youngest, who hasn’t had the experience of living with this older sister but idolises her,” says DaCosta, explaining how Khan slots into the films central trio. Carol’s a bit jaded at the beginning of the film [but] Kamala reminds her how amazing she is.”

Kamala dealt with a fairly localised threat in her solo Disney+ series, taking on zealous Djinn Najma and her son Kamran, as well as superhero law enforcement agency the Department of Damage Control and their discrimination against her Muslim community. In The Marvels, she’s thrust into something much bigger. “Now she’s going into space and dealing with crazy space emperors, but the thing I love about Kamala is her belief in people and family,” DaCosta explains. “Even in the midst of being around Captain Marvel and out of her depth, she’s preserved her strength.” Hold onto your Flerkens – this sisterhood is ready for action.

brie-iman-tw.png

Edited by tv echo

Not sure how I feel about the shorter running time.

So in addition to fucking up with the Skrulls, they really are going to have had Carol not aware that Maria died? And they’re going to hang her out to dry while St Steve the Perfect gets to abandon everyone with nary a scolding?

If the MCU blows this one, I’m done.

• Like 3

Ongoing strikes taking the shine off Hollywood’s fall movie season
Associated Press    Sep 5, 2023 
https://www.abbynews.com/trending-now/ongoing-strikes-taking-the-shine-off-hollywoods-fall-movie-season-3116060 

“I’m hoping I’m not promoting the movie by myself,” says Nia DaCosta, director of the upcoming Marvel movie “The Marvels” (Nov. 10). “No one’s there to see me, either. They’re going to be like, ‘Where’s Brie Larson?’”

Celebrate Captain Marvel’s Return to the Big Screen and new Comic Book Launches with Special MCU Variant Covers
BY MARVEL    September 8, 2023
https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/captain-marvel-mcu-variant-covers-the-marvels 

This fall is shaping up to be a blast for Captain Marvel fans! In addition to Carol Danvers’ highly-anticipated new film Marvel Studios’ The Marvels hitting theaters on November 10, the character is also headlining a brand-new ongoing comic series and an extra-sized comic book one-shot, both hitting stands next month! Now, see all the Captain Marvel excitement collide with the reveal of new MCU VARIANT COVERS! 

Adorning CAPTAIN MARVEL: ASSAULT ON EDEN #1 and CAPTAIN MARVEL #2, these spectacular new art pieces from acclaimed artists Elena Casagrande and Natacha Bustos spotlight the main cast of the upcoming film: Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, and Monica Rambeau. After their awe-inspiring powers become entangled with each other, this extraordinary trio will have to team up and learn to work together to save the universe as “The Marvels.” 

capmarvasltoneden2023001_casagrande_mcu.

capmarv2023001001_bustos_mcu.jpg

Edited by tv echo

I don't know if these MAJOR SPOILERS are accurate, so don't read if you don't want to know...

The Marvels Full Plot Summary Leaked Again, Read Here
 Abheet Gupta  September 13, 2023
https://highoncinemaa.com/superhero/mcu/the-marvels-full-plot-summary-leaked-again-read-here/21992/

The Marvels Post Credit Scenes Leaked from Advanced Screenings, Check Here
 Abheet Gupta  June 20, 2023
https://highoncinemaa.com/news/the-marvels-post-credit-scenes-leaked-from-advanced-screenings-check-here/18834/ 

Edited by tv echo

Disney Spent Over $270 Million To Make ‘The Marvels’
Caroline Reid   Sep 20, 2023
https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolinereid/2023/09/20/disney-reveals-270-million-bill-for-the-marvels/?sh=30de2d5738da 

Disney has revealed that it spent more than $270 million on making The Marvels, the latest instalment in its Marvel Comics superhero saga, which will be released in theaters in November.

The blockbuster budget is disclosed in company filings released yesterday by the Disney subsidiary which made the movie.

They show that over the two-year period from the incorporation of the company to September 30, 2022, it spent $274.8 million (£221.8 million) and banked a $55 million (£44.4 million) subsidy from the government of the United Kingdom where the movie was made. This brought its net spending down to $219.8 million meaning that the movie will have to gross at least $439.6 million at the box office to break even as studios get around half of theater takings. Passing this threshold might not be child's play.

Edited by tv echo

This brought its net spending down to $219.8 million meaning that the movie will have to gross at least $439.6 million at the box office to break even as studios get around half of theater takings.

I read years ago that studios get 90% of the first run ticket revenue*. Movie chains make their profits on popcorn, soda, and other snacks.

* apparently it’s a more complicated formula, but still above 50%: https://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/movie-distribution2.htm

2 hours ago, arc said:

I read years ago that studios get 90% of the first run ticket revenue*. Movie chains make their profits on popcorn, soda, and other snacks.

* apparently it’s a more complicated formula, but still above 50%: https://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/movie-distribution2.htm

They also get a smaller percentage from international ticket sales. Estimates for breakeven points are highly speculative.  When you add in the marketing costs most estimate the breakdown point at 2.5 times the budget but no one outside the studio really knows the real numbers. 

On 9/26/2023 at 9:51 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Okay, I peeked. Sue me, I don’t trust the MCU.

I peeked as well, mainly to find out about the what the credit scenes were if there were any.

Spoiler

And the end credit scene with Kamala Khan and Kate Bishop has me super excited. Just need to introduce one character to get me fully hyped about the direction this scene will take us

I'm really looking forward to this movie, but one reason is because I've been hoping for some mention, any mention, of Wanda.  Monica had that connection to her in WandaVision - surely she would bring her up at some time, right??

I would love some sort of mid-credits sequence where Wanda reappears from wherever she went at the end of Multiverse of Madness. 

Spoiler

If spoilers are accurate, though, it sounds like she won't be in or referenced in the post-credits scenes at all.

• Sad 1
(edited)

The Marvels | The Return Of Captain Marvel | In Theaters Nov 10
Marvel Entertainment   Oct 10, 2023

Introducing The Marvels | In Theaters Nov 10
Marvel Entertainment   Oct 10, 2023

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Next on Disney+: November 2023
October 17, 2023
https://press.disneyplus.com/news/next-on-disney-plus-november-2023 

Friday, November 3
Marvel Studios Legends - New Episodes
"Carol Danvers"

Captain Marvel landed in the MCU with her own film, and was established as one of the most powerful heroes yet unveiled. Originally a pilot named Carol Danvers, the Captain gained her power when exposed to energy from the Tesseract. LEGENDS retraces Captain Marvel’s journey, as she discovers her truth, repels an alien invasion, and finally stands with the Avengers in their fight against Thanos

"Kamala Khan"
Kamala Khan might be a teenager struggling with your average coming-of-age issues, but she also has to cope with a set of bizarre powers derived from an ancient artifact inherited from her estranged grandmother. LEGENDS unpacks Kamala’s surprising journey, as she goes from a young woman who dreams about hanging with the Avengers, to a fledgling superhero who might actually get the chance one day.

"Monica Rambeau"
As a child, she called Captain Marvel “Auntie Carol” and helped the burgeoning hero pick out her uniform’s trademark colors. As an adult, Monica Rambeau became an agent of S.W.O.R.D. -- and for a time, she was trapped inside a powerful HEX conjured by Wanda Maximoff. But Rambeau’s traumatic brush with Maximoff’s magic altered the agent on a cellular level, and imbued her with powers of her own.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
(edited)

Includes b-t-s comments on The Marvels...

Crisis at Marvel: Jonathan Majors Back-Up Plans, ‘The Marvels’ Reshoots, Reviving Original Avengers and More Issues Revealed
By Tatiana Siegel    November 1, 2023
https://variety.com/2023/film/features/marvel-jonathan-majors-problem-the-marvels-reshoots-kang-1235774940/ 

“The Marvels,” which opens in theaters on Nov. 10, will struggle to get the ball past the infield, at least by Marvel’s outsized standards. The movie, which cost $250 million and sees Brie Larson reprising her role as Captain Marvel, is tracking to open to $75 million-$80 million — far below the $185 million “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness” took in domestically in its debut weekend last year.   

Directed by Nia DaCosta, “The Marvels” unites Larson’s heroine with two superpowered allies, Teyonah Parris’ Monica Rambeau (introduced in the 2021 Disney+ series “WandaVision”) and Iman Vellani’s Kamala Khan (first seen in the 2022 series “Ms. Marvel”). But instead of seamlessly building on the success of “Captain Marvel,” this move resulted in four weeks of reshoots to bring coherence to a tangled storyline.   

Then eyebrows were raised again when DaCosta began working on another film while “The Marvels” was still in postproduction — the filmmaker moved to London earlier this year to begin prepping for her Tessa Thompson drama “Hedda.”  (A representative for DaCosta declined to comment.) 

“If you’re directing a $250 million movie, it’s kind of weird for the director to leave with a few months to go,” says a source familiar with the production. 

“The Marvels” has seen its release date moved back twice, too, once to swap places with “Quantumania,” which was deemed further along, and again when its debut shifted from July to November to give the filmmakers more time to tinker. But that extra time didn’t necessarily help. In June, Marvel, which traditionally only solicits feedback from Disney employees and their friends and families, took the uncharacteristic step of holding a public test screening in Texas. The audience gave the film middling reviews.  

Edited by tv echo

No, I will not succumb to the defeatist attitude about this movie because of all the shitposts made by dudebros predicting it will flop. I have MCU fatigue just as much as everyone, but you guys better show up at the theaters for Kamala, Monica, and Carol!

• Applause 5
9 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

No, I will not succumb to the defeatist attitude about this movie because of all the shitposts made by dudebros predicting it will flop.

I’m tuning out most of the conversation happening around the movie. The really frustrating thing for me is that a lot of the content creators who love these characters are choosing not to promote struck work in solidarity with the actors. 

I briefly caught myself getting caught up in certain new stories about the movie and now I need to take a page for the first movie. 
image.gif.4108833f8643722763272628a75eb0cc.gif

I’m excited to watch these characters on screen together.

Captain Marvel GIF by Marvel Studios

Plus baby Flerkins!!!

Captain Marvel Cat GIF by Marvel Studios

This movie has the best posters. 
IMG_1282.thumb.webp.3ae6609f68cacc4ffe7ee8c357229292.webp

The final trailer was also released and I would recommend avoiding it and social media if you don’t want spoilers. They are really trying to build hype.