Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: F Sharp

Pallas
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Shauna knows perfectly well Jeff wasn't a virgin since she and Jeff obviously have been having sex on and off for a little while. I took that question to be part of Shauna digging around to see whether Jackie has any idea of the truth about Jeff. Like obviously Jeff didn't tell Jackie about sleeping with Shauna or Jackie wouldn't have been friendly in the car, but just knowing Jeff had had sex with someone else might lead her to wondering who that was. But Shauna found out through her questioning that even though they've broken up multiple times Jackie still just doesn't think Jeff has ever slept with anyone else. (LOL.)

Interestingly, for all that Jackie talks, I'm not sure she and Jeff have had PIV sex, even now. The show chose to leave that open when they very easily could've made it unambiguous like they did with Shauna and Jeff's sex scene.

See, I am not sure if Jackie even was saying they had had sex that night prior, and I am thinking they did not. The way Jeff said, it's my turn now- I assumed she gave him a handjob or a BJ. I thought her remark, I decided going away to college a virgin was a mistake, was a rather glib way to admit she wasn't ready to break up with him.

Shauna definitely said, wait Jeff is a virgin?, not wait, Jeff was a virgin? (I mean, we know she knows he's not, but Jackie doesn't). I don't think Jackie was saying she had sex with him the night prior, just that she intended to have sex with him at some point before college and so she hadn't broken up with him.

Shauna seemed surprised Jackie thought Jeff was a virgin, which was rather cocky of her if they have broken up multiple times (although if the break up was like, a couple hours, maybe not).

• Love 3

Yeah, I don't think Jeff and Jackie had PIV sex either, despite Jackie's implications. Which is interesting since he was in her bedroom and Jackie's reason given to Shauna for why she went against "no distractions before nationals" is that she doesn't want to be a virgin. His being over there would certainly have been an obvious opportunity, and, you know, faster than first giving her a handjob and then her either giving him one or blowing him, since time was a concern. But as we saw, Jackie's not into Jeff even though she pretends she is for whatever reason.

It's kind of funny, teen Jeff probably thinks he's this big stud because he has both Jackie and Shauna on his line, when it's actually hard to say which girl is more indifferent.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
On 11/21/2021 at 9:16 PM, Black Knight said:

And Jackie should sleep with one eye open, because Van is pissed at her. Wasn't Van the girl who slapped her own mother? And that other girl doesn't have a lot of pills left...

Did anyone see what kind of pills they were?

On 11/22/2021 at 10:43 AM, Black Knight said:

I noticed BTW the show is still being careful to keep the exact timeline of Shauna and Jeff's relationship a secret. The marriage therapist said only that they've been together for a long time. I pointed out in the previous ep thread that their daughter can't be more than 18 years old, and this is the "25th anniversary". Depending on whether that's the anniversary of the plane crash or the rescue, Shauna's daughter was born 5-7 years after the anniversary. It is possible that Jackie survived, went back to Jeff, eventually they broke up, and then Shauna and Jeff got together and married while Jackie is one of "the others" whose whereabouts aren't known.

I was thinking Shauna was pregnant during the crash, but that doesn't add up.

On 11/23/2021 at 8:26 AM, rlc said:

I’m sorry that I started watching this because I think I’d prefer to binge it and watch straight through, but now that I’ve started I cannot stop! I have loved Melanie Lynskey since Heavenly Creatures, and I would pay to watch Juliette Lewis and  Cristina Ricci read the phone book, so I’m hooked. What I didn’t expect was to enjoy the young actresses so much, though once I realized that the actress who played Evie in The Leftovers I knew this would be good. Add a kickass soundtrack to the dark humor and an amazing cast, and I’m all in.

They had me at Miss World, but really got me with Mother Mother.

On 11/26/2021 at 2:15 PM, Tatum said:

I really hope an adult Jackie shows up. I assume they are keeping some of the characters as background characters so they can be killed off easily- right now we have the four confirmed alive women, plus Travis. I am interested to see what becomes of the religious girl, Van, and the TJ Maxx klepto, who are given enough lines each episode to make me think they will feature prominently somehow.

The girl that falls into the stick pit (?) is wearing a heart necklace.. the same one Jackie is wearing in the scene where she is hooking up with Jeff.  I am guessing I was supposed to notice that, right?

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

The girl that falls into the stick pit (?) is wearing a heart necklace.. the same one Jackie is wearing in the scene where she is hooking up with Jeff.  I am guessing I was supposed to notice that, right?

Assuredly we were to notice that. But it’s also the same necklace Jackie gave Shauna at the start of the flight, so who knows who ended up with the necklace…

• Useful 3
12 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

Did anyone see what kind of pills they were?

I was thinking Shauna was pregnant during the crash, but that doesn't add up.

They had me at Miss World, but really got me with Mother Mother.

The pills were an anti-psychotic used to treat schizophrenia. Loxipene or loxitane, I can't remember the spelling.

Shauna may have been pregnant during the crash. Having an only child doesn't mean that was her only pregnancy. 

Yes, and yes, to both.

I think the necklace is a red herring. Obviously it's not Shauna in the pit, but it may not be Jackie either. The necklace could've been passed to any number of girls over the course of 19 months. Now that we're seeing more of the redshirts, there's three or four girls, including Lottie, who have dark brown hair. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3

I’m pretty sure the girl in the pit is not Jackie. 

They were careful not to show too much of the girl, but a few people on Reddit screenshot what they could find and compared to all the actresses trying to identify which girl it was. 

This is NOT a spoiler (speculation only) but a Reddit poster said the girl most strongly resembles 

Spoiler

Shauna’s daughter. Obviously not alive in 1996 but the scene never specified that’s when the scene happened. The thought was she was lured there as revenge against Shauna but it’s also possible that’s a nightmare of Shauna’s  and doesn’t actually happen. 

I’m not sold on this theory but the side by side comparisons of the girls are similar. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I saw that theory on Reddit as well, and honestly I can't tell. I've seen the profile shots of pit girl next to several other non-Jackie cast members and it could be any one of them. I wonder if that was deliberate choice by the show runners, knowing that opening scene was going to be dissected like crazy? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I saw that theory on Reddit as well, and honestly I can't tell. I've seen the profile shots of pit girl next to several other non-Jackie cast members and it could be any one of them. I wonder if that was deliberate choice by the show runners, knowing that opening scene was going to be dissected like crazy? 

Holy Jesus!  I thought I was the only one cleverly noticing little details on this show… then I went to Reddit (mind blown emoji)

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 12/2/2021 at 10:47 PM, heatherchandler said:

Holy Jesus!  I thought I was the only one cleverly noticing little details on this show… then I went to Reddit (mind blown emoji)

🤯

• Love 2

So, I was wrong about Juliette Lewis getting revenge for the other girls. The Homicidal frenemy road trip looks like it will be tons of fun. Misty sabotaged her car? She didn't look surprised. so maybe they did find out about the transmitter.

I wondered if she'd destroyed the one way they could be found, because she seemed to be in her element. 

• Love 2

Yeah... you are supposed to apply the tourniquet before you chop somebody's leg off. Because otherwise blood will spray everywhere and the person will die. Also afterwards you should really cauterise the wound, so that you can loosen the tourniquet again, because otherwise the tissue below the tourniquet will die and take the rest of the body with it. Crazy girld did that, but like half a day later, way too late.

In conclusion: That coach is dead. In any realistic world he would have been dead the moment his leg got chopped off (or more likely when they draged the wing off his leg, but I would have given that a pass).

The expanse had a similar scene recently and they handled that so much better. Like everything the expanse does.

I don't know, crazy girl killing the transponder was a bit over the top. Usually that kind of crazy has some logic behind it. She should have known that she could likely leverage her hero status in the real world and staying in the wilderness might be a death sentence.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/23/2021 at 5:38 AM, Black Knight said:

Nobody has thought of survival cannibalism yet, despite the availability of bodies. Maybe Misty did, but if so, she kept it to herself. It will be interesting to see how she times her suggestions.

Those bodies aren't any good anymore. It wasn't cold enough when they crashed. They are dead if they eat these people.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Zonk said:

I don't know, crazy girl killing the transponder was a bit over the top. Usually that kind of crazy has some logic behind it. She should have known that she could likely leverage her hero status in the real world and staying in the wilderness might be a death sentence.

But it did have logic to it. She wasn't thinking it through and coming to the same conclusions you're laying out here, but the logic was there. Especially since teenagers are notoriously worse at seeing the longterm. (And in Misty's case she'd be right to think she was not the type of person who could leverage hero status in the real world successfully.)

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, sistermagpie said:

But it did have logic to it. She wasn't thinking it through and coming to the same conclusions you're laying out here, but the logic was there. Especially since teenagers are notoriously worse at seeing the longterm. (And in Misty's case she'd be right to think she was not the type of person who could leverage hero status in the real world successfully.)

Teenagers should be able to see that far long term. I was a teenager with bad ADHD and I could have ploted that out. Also I think if they had gotten rescued there, she could have very easily leveraged that hero status. She saved the coaches life. That isn't that easily forgotten.

• Love 1
Just now, Zonk said:

Teenagers should be able to see that far long term. I was a teenager with bad ADHD and I could have ploted that out. Also I think if they had gotten rescued there, she could have very easily leveraged that hero status. She saved the coaches life. That isn't that easily forgotten.

If Misty was the kind of girl who could leverage her hero status in the real world into actual friendships, she probably wouldn't have been the pariah she was. Her own logic - bad as it was - was still logic. She saw herself *continuing* being the person who cared for everyone, not leaving the woods and doing the talk show circuit or getting a medal at school. This is a pattern the show hits pretty hard with her, being drawn to people in need of help that only she can provide.

I'm not saying that no teenager would be able to figure out destroying the box could kill them all. I'd bet every single other girl there would have seen that. But I could see how it made sense for Misty. In fact, she's basically correct. The only time she's part of the group at all is when they're in crisis.

• Love 6
On 1/16/2022 at 11:33 AM, Zonk said:

She may have thought it would just delay them being rescued by a few days or weeks, and that that would be enough time for her to cement her place in the group. 

• Love 4

I was having a mini-stroke thinking the actor who played Shauna’s husband was Marc Blucas. It’s not, it’s Warren Kole (there are no time machines, sadly) but it was scary how much he looked and sounded like Blucas. 

On 4/25/2023 at 3:24 PM, Quickbeam said:

I was having a mini-stroke thinking the actor who played Shauna’s husband was Marc Blucas. It’s not, it’s Warren Kole (there are no time machines, sadly) but it was scary how much he looked and sounded like Blucas. 

We are getting Denis Leary vibes in our house.

• Like 2