Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Lion in the Meadow

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

On 11/8/2021 at 7:11 PM, Enigma X said:

Then I read on Wikipedia this is a dark comedy (supposedly) and now things make more sense.

I have watched every episode thus far, and would disagree that is either dark or a comedy.   IMO, Succession is tedium incarnate.  It seems formulaic in the extreme, with each episode only slightly different than its predecessor.   The critics' reviews all sing "Emperor's New Clothes" to me.   I think the only shows I have disliked more than Succession were Six Feet Under and The OA.   Why do I watch then?   As George Costanza once explained, "Because it's on TV."

15 hours ago, millennium said:

I have watched every episode thus far, and would disagree that is either dark or a comedy.   IMO, Succession is tedium incarnate.  It seems formulaic in the extreme, with each episode only slightly different than its predecessor.   The critics' reviews all sing "Emperor's New Clothes" to me.   I think the only shows I have disliked more than Succession were Six Feet Under and The OA.   Why do I watch then?   As George Costanza once explained, "Because it's on TV."

A lot of other things are on TV! But I'll skip over that part and just say that every episode makes me laugh out loud at least twice, and laugh not-out-loud dozens of times.

• Love 13
On 11/10/2021 at 6:17 PM, millennium said:

I have watched every episode thus far, and would disagree that is either dark or a comedy. 

I don't think you have Will Ferrell and Adam McKay as EPs and not see this as comedy.  A very, very dark comedy. 

That said, I wish the plot would move along, too.  What was the point of the Fed raid last week when it seems like this week, it's just monkey business as usual?  How do you become a whistleblower while you're still trying to maneuver the guy you blew the whistle on?

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 11/8/2021 at 7:11 PM, Enigma X said:

Then I read on Wikipedia this is a dark comedy (supposedly) and now things make more sense.

On 11/12/2021 at 4:26 PM, meowmommy said:

I don't think you have Will Ferrell and Adam McKay as EPs and not see this as comedy.  A very, very dark comedy. 

I am so glad to hear it actually is meant to be a comedy. Once I started to watch it that way I started to really enjoy it. People kept trying to tell me it wasn't a comedy and I was like what show are you watching lol.

That said, I wish the plot would move along, too.  What was the point of the Fed raid last week when it seems like this week, it's just monkey business as usual?  How do you become a whistleblower while you're still trying to maneuver the guy you blew the whistle on?

This. The plot is already so stale and repetitive. They desperately need to move on and do something big but I fear they won't.

• Love 1
On 11/7/2021 at 11:03 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't like Adrien Brody as a person but wow, as an actor.  I thought that his performance was absolutely chilling.  I also could feel that he was a billionaire from the first minute of the performance even though I had to Google who Josh even is and who Adrien was playing right after he appeared onscreen.

Looked to me like the actor got his inspiration from the Billions TV show.  They all used the same cadence in their speech and were all shitty people who do weird shit.  That’s why Billions went from good to cartoonish.  

Really?  I don't recognize any Billions character in Succession, which is a superior show.

Axe is just a blowhard, who peppers in some cultural references, just like every Billions character does.

My thoughts on the episode:  it bothered me so much that Roman accused Kendall of trying to kill their father. Kendall didn’t even want to go to the meeting.  He was pressured into it by Frank. And then, Ken repeatedly asked Logan if he was ok, if he needed to rest and was told by a too proud to ask for help Logan that he was okay.  Even if Roman was joking or just trying to give Ken a hard time, it was unfair to pin that incident on Ken.

I like the show a lot, but at this point I feel like I’m watching Pinky and The Brain.  Kendall trying every which way to take over the company and failing miserably each and every time. Self sabotaging, not listening to the people that he has hired to advise him, getting in his own way at every turn - I don’t know whether to feel sorry for him or to feel disgusted by him. 

• Love 1

Greg and Tom a spinoff of them in prison together. 

Like a new odd couple. Tom talking about prison life is hilarious. 

I've had many arguments about what is and is not a dark comedy. Many of them I don't think are.  White lotus is not.  Atlanta most of the time us not but they do a few funny episodes a season. It's actually a pet peeve of mine things billed as dark comedies that just.....aren't. 

But this series....yeah I'll give it to them. Dark comedy. In fact the very first episode it's pretty much a retelling of the arrested development pilot. 

Shiv is so far out if her league and full of her own shit. Height of rich arrogance. Very much her dad's daughter.  Bullying. Threats. Except she sees herself as somehow different snd more sophisticated about it all. She is not. 

On 11/8/2021 at 9:37 PM, TimWil said:

I am totally on board for the spinoff Deputy Greg of Brightstar Buffalo. A wacky but heartwarming slice of amusement park life. Think about it, HBO.

Mark Ravenhead approving a “Pedo Daycare” segment for his nightly broadcast, however, made me wince.

Since season one, which for me is only last week, binge watching, I've wanted a Greg and Tom spinoff. They pair up somehow and their wacky adventures. 

• Like 1