Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Recruiter

• Start Topic

Agents being parents is proving to be a bigger thing here than in the other three shows of the franchise. We have two ex's to be stunt cast along with McG's girl. Just don't bring in Nick. It is bad mojo to play your wife's hated ex.

Kai's I was a Marine so do all things tactical really didn't ring true given how they all act like SWAT until it comes time for that line dialog. And then for his line you ignore the basic tactic of one guy holds while the other flanks that the non veteran NCIS Agent goes to immediately.

Bad Mommy did come off as an Asian Smurf so no surprise there. Dustin Nguyen has been missed by me. Why  SAC Tennant went alone when the NCIS producers provided her with 4 agents just to avoid the no back up was, well okay. Good on the Navy for giving the kid a waiver. I was just surprised no Marine recruits were at the joint Navy Coast Guard enlistment ceremony.

• Useful 1

I find the lead to be rather blah.  Maybe she'd be better and more believable if she didn't have family drama too - or any family at all except in the background.

The rest of the cast is okay for now.

I thought the plot was pretty good.

10 hours ago, Raja said:

Dustin Nguyen has been missed by me.

I saw his name in the credits and looking forward to see him.  Wish it had been bigger part.  I wonder if they'll find some way to bring him back.

I could also do without the family drama.  Heck, even NCIS: LA doesn't bring Sam's kids in each epi but I guess since the lead is a mom they're thinking it's somehow necessary?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

I saw his name in the credits and looking forward to see him.  Wish it had been bigger part.  I wonder if they'll find some way to bring him back.

I could also do without the family drama.  Heck, even NCIS: LA doesn't bring Sam's kids in each epi but I guess since the lead is a mom they're thinking it's somehow necessary?

However with the wife in Los Angeles being ex CIA and killed to get back at Sam so far the family stuff on Hawai'i is more grounded. But I think that they should go ahead and lay out straight what's up with Kai and his father.

1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

The Hawaii scenery can’t keep us so we’re OUT.  

The dull and washed out filter they're using to film it ensures that it won't help but really, even filming the scenery in the natural vibrant colors and light wouldn't do anything for this dud.   

• Love 3

I enjoyed this plot.  I definitely didn't see it coming that the gang leader was the kid's father or that the mother was the killer.  I liked that we didn't have to see the completely extraneous blonde DoD lady.  I missed seeing Kai's dad but didn't mind not seeing the constant family drama between him and Kai.   I think all the scenes with Jane and her kids at home are to show that she has to balance her work and home life.  These kinds of shows never do well with showing family and relationships... the family always feels shoehorned into the show.  Like with McGarrett and his sister and Catherine Rollins on H5-0.  But if the family was never seen or mentioned, I think viewers would probably be wondering about them.

On 10/5/2021 at 7:39 AM, Raja said:

Agents being parents is proving to be a bigger thing here than in the other three shows of the franchise. We have two ex's to be stunt cast along with McG's girl. Just don't bring in Nick. It is bad mojo to play your wife's hated ex.

I'm curious about Jesse's family.  I don't think he's divorced though.  He was questioning Jane's use of the "pineapple" safe word to end a contentious conversation, and after she explained it, he said something like "I should try that".  She responded with "just to let you know, he's my ex-husband".  And he gave a look that to me said "oh, I don't want that to happen to me".  Which implied that he is married?  

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I'm curious about Jesse's family.  I don't think he's divorced though.  He was questioning Jane's use of the "pineapple" safe word to end a contentious conversation, and after she explained it, he said something like "I should try that".  She responded with "just to let you know, he's my ex-husband".  And he gave a look that to me said "oh, I don't want that to happen to me".  Which implied that he is married?  

I did notice later he wore the ring. I guess that I assumed because in the pilot he was off doing his own environmentalist thing, or it seemed that way when the mission started.

I had the impression from the pilot that we would get a less polished version of Hawaii and I'm okay with that (and there's still Magnum around). The plot was interesting with some good misdirects. No Louboutin-T-Rex was also good.

I could do without the family stuff but so far it's been okay. Tennant and her son have good family chemistry. And in this particular episode seeing her interact with her son worked since the crime-plot also revolved around a mother-son relationship. It's when family gets used to cause drama that I get annoyed - let's see how long it takes until one of the kids get abducted or held hostage.

On 10/9/2021 at 11:20 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

Why would a parent let her 9yo daughter dictates the household menu, forcing everyone to be on a vegetarian diet? 🤷🏻‍♀️

And yet her response to her son’s question about being afraid of a 9 year old made me laugh out loud and seemed like the realest thing she said all episode.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1