Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Boom

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

Maybe it’s the benefit of low expectations, but I like Vanessa Lachey better than I thought I would.  Still don’t buy her as some genius, but she seems a competent leader.  Not really feeling the Kai family drama.

• Love 3

The justification for NCIS taking the lead seemed straight out of the Los Angeles show. I was expecting McGarrett to show up to push the rookies aside.

I guess SAC Tennant and Captain Milius have to be made a thing.  He can't realistically remain in place as the Pacific Fleet Admiral's Chief of Staff for the entire run of a series.

Was Boom supposed to be NCIS when not doing his Marine Reserve bit or a local like the Jefferson Parish folks on New Orleans?

3 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Not really feeling the Kai family drama.

Agree with this.  I can take this show...for now, but the family drama and the quirky characters are grating so TPTB need to cool it/reign it in.

Nice to see Sharif Atkins.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Raja said:

He can't realistically remain in place as the Pacific Fleet Admiral's Chief of Staff for the entire run of a series.

I dunno.   I don't expect this show to have longevity of its NCIS cousins.  

• Love 4

Agreed about the intro - I had the same thoughts. They should have gone for a completely different opening shot. 

I liked this better than the pilot once I got the usual hand waving about which agency should be taking the lead out of the way. I enjoyed the scenes between Tennant and Tara, nicely done. I also thought that we got a better grasp on Tennant here - calm and competent. Which I find a nice change of pace. Enver Gjokai is nice on the eyes so I don't mind him hanging around for a while. I had not expected Boone to have kids - I thought he was single. I don't mind Kai's family drama - I like the actor playing his Dad. 

And I have no idea if this intentional or just a coincidence because the hard wood floors on that set don't like high-heels but I find it pretty funny how you can always tell Whistler's about to show up tbefore the actress enters the frame. Kind of a Jurassic Park effect which I find hilarious.

• Love 2

Ugh and blah. 

The characters are all so vanilla imo...I guess my favorite would be for tech guy for disarming the walking bomb. And of course the dog.

No scenery, no humor (ok the nickname bomb bomb), no quirks. Not even a plot that I care about again.

I am out.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this episode and the overall plot.  I'm still trying to get a grasp of how this case came under military jurisdiction, specifically the Navy, and how the Navy commander fits in to all this (other than to obviously put he and Jane together).  But it's still entertaining.

23 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Maybe it’s the benefit of low expectations, but I like Vanessa Lachey better than I thought I would.  Still don’t buy her as some genius, but she seems a competent leader.  Not really feeling the Kai family drama.

I think she seems like a good leader and she has the respect of her team.  I liked her talk with Lucy and how she gave her some pointers and helped Lucy to realise that she has the training and that she knew the answer of what to do all along.

I wasn't sure why Lucy would go and buy Jane a whole cake from Leonard's (it was purplish looking so I would imagine it was a taro cake) to apologise.  I didn't think she had anything she needed to apologise for and it's kind of weird dropping by your boss' house with a cake.  I would think a cupcake would have been enough on Jane's desk the next morning.

I am not familiar enough with the NCIS setup to understand whether or not this is the entire NCIS team, or if this show is constrained by the same TV realities that made it seem like the entire 5-0 consisted of just four agents.

I agree about the Kai drama.  I like seeing his dad but I wish there was a way to see him without having him associated with all this baggage.  So Kai's mom died and his dad wasn't there for him and now it's years later and Kai is still hurt.  I hope they resolve this soon instead of having it continuously drag on and on.  I also find it odd that Kai can just randomly disappear from work during the day to go to drop off his dog at his dad's place.

I'd like to see Jesse's family at some point.  But two episodes in and I am so over the Lucy/Whistler whatever.  It seems they were together some time in the past, they kept it a secret, it ended, it rekindled for one night, but Whistler says it can't go on anymore, and Lucy is butthurt about it.  Seems like this is another thing that is going to keep dragging on.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I enjoyed this episode and the overall plot.  I'm still trying to get a grasp of how this case came under military jurisdiction, specifically the Navy, and how the Navy commander fits in to all this (other than to obviously put he and Jane together).  But it's still entertaining.

I think she seems like a good leader and she has the respect of her team.  I liked her talk with Lucy and how she gave her some pointers and helped Lucy to realise that she has the training and that she knew the answer of what to do all along.

snip.

I am not familiar enough with the NCIS setup to understand whether or not this is the entire NCIS team, or if this show is constrained by the same TV realities that made it seem like the entire 5-0 consisted of just four agents.

If I am following the set up correctly Captain Milius is the Chief of Staff to the Pacific Fleet's commanding Admiral.  Should a Sailor or Marine be the actual criminal in any of these cases the Admiral has a dual role as sort of the military version of a state's Attorney General. A lower level commander would be the convening authority or District Attorney equivalent deciding to go ahead with courts martial.  The Chief of Staff as the go to and make sure the details are done stuff guy would be to talk to folks like NCIS on those big cases. For the specific case the Navy had the loot and was transporting it when their contracted armored car got hit and the Admiral had enough political juice to push aside HPD and the FBI  to give his criminal investigation service the lead role.

Except being new as opposed to in office for a while I think Tennant is like Pride in New Orleans the Special Agent in Charge at Pearl Harbor and covering Hawaii while she leads her team from the front  on the big cases you do see more folks in the background of a much larger office like on the mothership and the Los Angeles show then you did on New Orleans where some from Jefferson Parish Louisiana medical examiner and forensics where deputies to Pride's small office.  But the team we are seeing is like Gibbs team and presumably others are doing less exciting off screen investigations and paperwork.

The entire 5-0 task force on the reboot was just those few officers, later adding Jerry as the quirky technical support guy that all CBS procedurals have had since Abby on NCIS. They depended upon the HPD and other islands' police forces for back up and support. It was long after the original show that 5-0 became American slang for police in general that is not recognized as a thing on the Hawaii 5-0 reboot.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Raja said:

The entire 5-0 task force on the reboot was just those few officers, later adding Jerry as the quirky technical support guy that all CBS procedurals have had since Abby on NCIS. T

I think Max covered that spot for a while doing double duty as geeky character and wise medical examiner. I'm so used to this CBS set-up that I was disappointed when Tara in the pilot only exchanged some brief sentences with the medical examiner.

• Love 1
On 9/28/2021 at 5:42 PM, MissLucas said:

Enver Gjokai is nice on the eyes so I don't mind him hanging around for a while.

In total agreement.

12 hours ago, blackwing said:

I wasn't sure why Lucy would go and buy Jane a whole cake from Leonard's (it was purplish looking so I would imagine it was a taro cake) to apologise.  I didn't think she had anything she needed to apologise for and it's kind of weird dropping by your boss' house with a cake.  I would think a cupcake would have been enough on Jane's desk the next morning.

This struck me as the female version of people going to Gibbs' basement to bare their soul and pour their heart out over a stiff drink out of a jar.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

It’s bad when I only half watch the second episode.   I quit paying  attention  right before the bank robbery.  
I don’t care about Kai’s apartment or family relationship troubles.  It would have  been fine to simply say he was living with Dad since dad was ill.  We didn’t need the drama.   This is way more drama than Jethro’s Dad, Senior and Marty’s Mom combined. 
I don’t care about the other agents on/off relationship either. 
frankly I see two people I like.. the quirky analyst and the Navy reservist explosives expert/NCIS guy.  
Is this going to be around long simply because it has NCIS in the title? 

Edited by mythoughtis