Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: What If…Zombies!?

• Start Topic

Well if you need any other proof that the women characters getting killed off/zombified had sexist undertones, apparently the writers originally had a more gruesome fate for Sharon:

I’m so sick of this. One stupid kiss and the MCU writers decide to appease their fans by ruining her character in every way possible. Wasn’t enough what they did in TFATWS, oh no, they wanted her death in the zombie episode to be a punchline. Peggy gets to be Captain Carter while Sharon is the Meg Griffin of the MCU. I’m beyond disgusted.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 5

Why am I not surprised? Oh yeah, because I called it. For f... sake, even if you didn't like the kiss (and for the record, I personally didn't mind it because even though it was badly lead up to, it gave us the reaction of Sam and Bucky), there is no reason to hate on the character. Do I hate on Bruce because I felt that the Natasha/Bruce Pairing was a stupid idea? No, I defend both characters equally. But if it is a female character, some writers seem to consider this as carte Blanche to bash her. 

For the record, I LIKED Sharon in The Winter Soldier. And they better reveal her being a Scrull in Bucky and the Winter Soldier, or I will forever be salty about it. 

• Love 7

I loved Bucky in this one.  "I should feel bad but I don't", "This is the end of the line, Pal" as he eviscerates Steve, plus Bucky in the shower.  In my head canon, Wanda yeeted him far beyond the zombie horde and he's chilling somewhere.

• Love 1

Yeah, I hated that.   I don’t like zombies to begin with, and as others have said, the tone was all over the place.  

Chadwick Boseman’s lines were good.  

Who is Kurt?  Is he someone I’m supposed to know?

I’m a bit confused on what exactly the last scene with Thanos was trying to say.  How do humans trying to save their world lead to the destruction of the universe?    Never mind, I just read through the rest of the thread.  I didn’t realize he was in Wakanda; I thought he was in New York

On 9/10/2021 at 3:24 PM, Dani said:

Exactly this. I don’t have a problem with dark but they’re not really going dark. They are going bleak.

Yes, I think this is the biggest problem I’m having with it.

Edited by Starfish35

I mean...we got zombies vs the avengers. There is rarely any space for a concept like this in live action. I can't be mad at that.

I don't dislike zombies. I don't know why I would.

I'm also not a fatigue person. I don't get fatigue in regards to different genres and stories. It's all about how they are presented. 

Having super powered/smarter zombies was a good way to even out the playing field. Also, led to a bunch of dark humor.

I laughed. I was moved during certain scenes. I don't need much more.

This series is surprising me in how much I'm enjoying it. 

I enjoyed this episode, although I was really hoping that Okoye would survive.

On 9/9/2021 at 9:14 AM, Zonk said:

Why did the wasp become zombie chow instead of just turning small after she put our heroes in the safe zone? The zombies climbing her would have just clattered to the ground.

On 9/9/2021 at 12:09 PM, arc said:

She had been poisoned earlier when a cut on her skin got infected with zombie goo from zombie Sharon. (No, it doesn’t make a lot of sense when Cull Obsidian and Ebony Maw were turned in seconds while she had minutes to hours,but that time inconsistency is a zombie movie hallmark.)

Yes, but I believe Zonk's question was "why didn't she just shrink and fly away instead of sacrificing herself and letting the zombies take her down".  She knew they need to get to the other side in order to be able to work on a cure, why couldn't she have flown along for the cure as well?

My son's explanation is that after you go big, you get faint and have to rest.  He says that is why Ant Man fainted after turning big at the airport in Civil War.  I would tend to agree... in the comics, that is why Hank stopped changing size, going from big to small took too much out of him.

• Love 1
On 9/8/2021 at 10:54 PM, Cthulhudrew said:

Better yet - "What if... everyone was Happy?"

And all characters are voiced by Jon Favreau.

I want an episode where everyone is played by Michael Pena's ultra-fast-talking Luis.

This was far too dark for me, to an unnecessary degree. Even the characters' acts of self-sacrifice ended up being warped into meaninglessness.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 6
On 9/13/2021 at 5:42 PM, blackwing said:

My son's explanation is that after you go big, you get faint and have to rest.  He says that is why Ant Man fainted after turning big at the airport in Civil War.  I would tend to agree... in the comics, that is why Hank stopped changing size, going from big to small took too much out of him.

That would also explain why hope didn't just carry them to Camp Lehigh in the first place, which is what I was wondereing once she turned big.

On 9/10/2021 at 8:27 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I’m so sick of this. One stupid kiss and the MCU writers decide to appease their fans by ruining her character in every way possible. Wasn’t enough what they did in TFATWS, oh no, they wanted her death in the zombie episode to be a punchline. Peggy gets to be Captain Carter while Sharon is the Meg Griffin of the MCU. I’m beyond disgusted.

I actually feel like MCU writers really like Sharon which is why they keep putting her in stuff and trying to make her happen. I mean her little freeze frame title card called her "the blonde Bond". Which tells me they like the character and just either don't know what to do with her or the actress can't make her interesting. If they hated her she would be off screen hanging out with Betty Ross.

Also the Blonde Bond thing was very stupid because Daniel Craig is already literally the Blonde Bond. It would be like calling Peggy the British Bond. It makes no sense.

• Love 2
On 9/8/2021 at 5:02 PM, Kirbyrun said:

Because then there would have been a Mind Stone laying on the ground for Thanos to pick up. They needed to eradicate the thing.

Also, they were trying to save Vision.
Removing he mind stone was going to kill him, but there was a chance they could reconnect the connections to keep him alive, or something..

On 9/27/2021 at 2:45 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I actually feel like MCU writers really like Sharon which is why they keep putting her in stuff and trying to make her happen. I mean her little freeze frame title card called her "the blonde Bond". Which tells me they like the character and just either don't know what to do with her or the actress can't make her interesting. If they hated her she would be off screen hanging out with Betty Ross.

The writer’s “joke” in that video about how it’s fine to kill her off so horribly because “nobody likes her” puts a little hole in that rationale. And if that was true, giving her crappy storylines is a funny way of showing how much they like her. Either that or the MCU needs to hire better writers.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1