Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Home Sweet Home

• Start Topic

Smurf gets a house in Oceanside. Jake gets beat up by Max Cross.  Smurf makes a deal with him.  The guys pull off a heist that should get an award for piss poor planning. Craig makes a deal with Pamela.  Her son gets a few lines, anyway.  The Oceanside PD fires a warning shot over J's bow.  Pope drinks the kool aid at a minor league Jim Jones place and goes haywire out on the beach.  So, the plot thickens. Or not.

• Love 3

I was afraid we'd get some trippy hallucinogenic scene with Pope. To the show's credit, it didn't go there.

The whole bit with the safe heist was up to the usual exciting level. (And I'm glad the guys didn't hand it over right away.)

Otherwise, this episode was "meh." 

• Love 2

The whole season has been meh. It's just not the same without Smurf as the anchor. And flashbacks to young Smurf don't cut it. 

It feels like we need more insight into why Deran is obsessing over this more than Craig or J. Is he just trying to take his mind off of Adrian? It's not like they need the house or the money and none of them strike me as being terribly sentimental. 

Craig being a father and being with Renn isn't really going anywhere, as far as I can tell. 

Pope is off on his own and nothing's really going on with J. 

I think maybe the writers are more interested in writing the flashbacks than the present day, because they seem to have more cohesion to them. 

• Love 3

I did like the way that everyone else started flying as soon as they drank the kool-aid, but Pope just sits there wondering "What am I doing here?"  It takes about 2 hours before he finally starts flying, at least a little bit.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It feels like we need more insight into why Deran is obsessing over this more than Craig or J. Is he just trying to take his mind off of Adrian? It's not like they need the house or the money and none of them strike me as being terribly sentimental. 

IMO, Deran is looking for some cohesion, something to hold everything together now that Adrian is gone. That's what Smurf's house, and the estate generally, represents. As with the family, which (as he told Pamela) is all he has really learned to trust. 

• Love 1

This was idiotic. 

Pope at some weird hippy drug thing was so dumb. Who cares. It’s not interesting. And how does he always get these women to immediately wanna hang around him. He’s a creepy guy.

Smurf in the past - meh.

This show is so bad compared to what it used to be.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Wow. And not in a good way. In addition to pretty much going nowhere and making no sense, this show has gotten boring. When I start wondering about how the guys are keeping that house clean, it’s not a good thing.

LOL, I actually said something to my wife about how clean the house looked

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I did like the way that everyone else started flying as soon as they drank the kool-aid, but Pope just sits there wondering "What am I doing here?"  It takes about 2 hours before he finally starts flying, at least a little bit.

I actually rewatched Pope at the end, sitting on the road, when he laughed. Because damn, when was the last time we've seen him crack a smile? I found it refreshing!

Bleh, still too many flashbacks and I don't care. And the heist? That's not the Cody crew we used to know and love, what a cluster that whole thing was. 

But, I'll be back to watch next week as usual! 

• Love 4

And Pamela suggests that Smurf only left everything to HER so that the boys know that they have someone to turn to? NOT because she was an evil, manipulative con-artist who wanted to play one last trick on them all, because that's MY interpretation.

Even that doesn't make any sense, so far at least. Last we saw in the flashbacks, Smurf was crashing at Pam's place until Pam got sick of her shenanigans and threw her out. I'm assuming at some point they reconciled because nothing so far even suggests why Smurf would have left everything to her. Unfortunately, I'm not confident the show is going to explain it. I have no idea what's driving the writing decisions these days, I can't find any logic behind them.

Yeah I can see Smurf wanting to stick it to the boys by leaving them nothing, but Pam? The lady who kicked her out of her house last we saw? 

• Love 3

Yeah, Renn's definitely a goner by the end of this season. Death, jail or leaves town. The show's track record with its female characters (major and recurring) is pretty sad: OG Smurf, Catherine, Lena, Nicky, Lucy, Mia, Angela, Morgan. Plus Christina Ochoa's pilot got picked up, so not looking great for Craig's baby mama.

• Love 2

I don't get Renn being involved in the safe heist. What skill did she bring to the table?

Oh no, Pope. Why would you drink some mystery juice a stranger handed you?

So was that ayahuasca Pope and those cult whackos were tripping out on? Ray Donovan did it, Billions did it, so now I guess it was Animal Kingdom's turn. Ayahuasca must have a good agent. 😉

When Young Smurf leaned over that guy's desk and told him she'd kill him if he ever came near her kids again, that was the first time she actually looked like Ellen Barkin's Smurf to me. Wonder if the actress was directed to do a mean mug like EB?

• Love 2
On 8/21/2021 at 1:55 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I don't get Renn being involved in the safe heist. What skill did she bring to the table?

Oh no, Pope. Why would you drink some mystery juice a stranger handed you?

Ayahuasca must have a good agent. 😉

When Young Smurf leaned over that guy's desk and told him she'd kill him if he ever came near her kids again, that was the first time she actually looked like Ellen Barkin's Smurf to me. Wonder if the actress was directed to do a mean mug like EB?

I assumed they needed eyes in the club since it was right where the boys were working, and it was decided that they wanted someone in the family who they could trust. 

Like they kept saying, What did he have to lose (except potentially his life when he laid his dumb ass on an unlit highway in the middle of a desert wilderness).

Trendy.  It's very trendy.  They left out the puking part though.

Unpopular opinion here, but I'll state it:  I get that she said that because she was being Fierce Mama Bear Smurf, but it seemed unnecessary and overkill based on the circumstances.  Max never threatened the kids - he was there to give Jake a beatdown and send Smurf a message, which he did, and then he left.  Maybe there was an unspoken implication and maybe there wasn't, and maybe he would hurt a kid to get to the parent.  But we saw nothing to indicate that, other than that he apparently prefers to do his own intimidating. 

Or, maybe I'm just weary of and impatient with Young Smurf in general.  Which I am.    

• Love 2