Type keyword(s) to search

Now What...? Spoilers for What If...?

• Start Topic

WHAT IF...? Executive Producer Confirms Season 2 Plans And Teases Captain Carter's Huge MCU Future
Josh Wilding   August 2, 2021
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/marvel/what_if/what-if-executive-producer-confirms-season-2-plans-and-teases-captain-carters-huge-mcu-future-a186898 

Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige may not have been on hand, but executive producer Brad Winderbaum (a Marvel Cinematic Universe veteran) was there to drop some hints about the future of this animated series. While ten episodes will be released on Disney+ this year, plans are already in place for a second season...and it seems Captain Carter will be key to that! 

"We realized early on in development as we were starting to get [AC Bradley's] scripts and starting to look at the arc of the series that there was going to be a character that bubbled up and became more important," he started. "Not more important than the rest, but [one who] had a strong relationship with The Watcher, who is really our driving force behind the series, and that’s Captain Carter."

"And we realized as we started developing the second season that Captain Carter was going to be the character who we would revisit in every season and continue that adventure," Winderbaum added.

Captain Carter is the Crux of Marvel’s ‘What If…?’ Animated Series and Will Return in Future Seasons
by Ethan Anderton   August 2, 2021
https://www.slashfilm.com/captain-carter-is-the-crux-of-marvels-what-if-animated-series-and-will-return-in-future-seasons/ 

Since Captain Carter is the spark for this new universe, it should come as no surprise that the team behind What If…? has already determined she’ll be integral to each season of the animated series. Executive producer Brad Winderbaum explained:

“We realized as we started developing the second season that Captain Carter was going to be the character who we would revisit in every season and continue that adventure. Obviously, we’re telling a story on a giant multiversal canvas, so you never really know who’s going to pop up where and when. It’s very much an anthology, but there’s always opportunity for fun connections to be made.”

Marvel’s What If: Chadwick Boseman Voices T’Challa in Four Episodes (Exclusive)
By CAMERON BONOMOLO - August 2, 2021
https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/marvel-what-if-chadwick-boseman-four-episodes-tchalla-star-lord-producer-brad-winderbaum/ 

What If...? executive producer Brad Winderbaum confirmed Boseman's four-episode role in an exclusive interview with ComicBook.com. "He's in four episodes, actually," Winderbaum told ComicBook.com's Brandon Davis. "He plays different versions of the character. I wouldn't say that anything changed drastically. We wanted to honor, frankly, his performance and his eagerness to be a part of the project. In retrospect, he recorded this episodes for us knowing what we all know now. We wanted to honor what he did, so we actually didn't change a lot of it. There were certain things, in the context of his passing, especially musically...Lauren Karpman delivered what I think is an incredible score for the entire series and the way she approached T'Challa throughout, especially in light of his passing, is really beautiful."

During a global press conference on Sunday, director Bryan Andrews revealed Boseman was among the first actors to sign onto the series featuring the voices of more than 50 MCU cast members. "It was amazing to work with him," Andrews said of Boseman, who debuted as T'Challa in Captain America: Civil War before reprising the role in Black Panther and two Avengers sequels. "We only got a small moment because the episode was so short. Everyone was able to enjoy his presence. I think that he was even one of the first actors to sign on for the voice cast. I remember we were all so excited because we wanted to work with Chadwick and we all loved Black Panther."

On working with the theatrically-trained Boseman, Andrews added: "Sometimes actors just want to hit the line and move on to the next one. But Chadwick wanted to do his part as a scene and build it up like a play. It was so much fun to do that because we got to read lines and do a performance with Chadwick Boseman."

Meshing the Black Panther and Guardians of the Galaxy franchises to create the amalgam T'Challa Star-Lord was exciting for Boseman "because it was different," the director said. "Because it was a version of him playing the king, but the king without the mantle, the royalty, and everything else that goes along with it. He could lighten it up and get more jokey with it. He was excited to bring back that flavor to T'Challa."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Will Marvel’s What If Have Post-Credits Scenes? One Producer Has An Intriguing Answer
ERIC EISENBERG  : AUG. 4. 2021
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2571483/will-marvel-what-if-have-post-credits-scenes-one-producer-intriguing-answer 

I spoke with Winderbaum during What If’s virtual press day this past weekend, and when I asked about seeing bonus scenes on the show, he cryptically replied,

"I mean, there is ‘a’ post-credits scene."

‘WHAT IF...?’ EPISODES COULD EXPAND INTO LIVE-ACTION MCU SPINOFFS [EXCLUSIVE]
DAIS JOHNSTON    August 3, 2021
https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/what-if-episodes-could-expand-into-live-action-mcu-spinoffs-exclusive-star-wars 

Thankfully, What If...?’s executive producer tells Inverse that the series could broaden its horizons and continue expanding its variant storylines — even progressing from its animated format into live-action projects down the line. Did someone just say live-action Marvel zombies? Not quite, but let’s take a closer look.
That said, characters invented for Star Wars animation later got the live-action treatment. Ahsoka Tano was portrayed by Rosario Dawson, and Bo-Katan Kryze was brought to life by Katee Sackhoff (both on The Mandalorian.)

Could the same thing happen to the characters and stories of What If...? According to series executive producer Brad Winderbaum, Marvel’s open to the idea of spinning off one of these variants in a future project.

“We wanted each story to be able to be open and shut in that half an hour timeframe, but it's hard not to imagine more chapters with some of these characters,” Winderbaum tells Inverse. “I hope that one day we do get to see more adventures in some of these alternate timelines.”
Winderbaum is also quick to say that What If...? featuring a storyline doesn’t necessarily take it out of the running for a live-action adaptation down the line.

“All you have to do to prove that is look back at how many stories from the What If...? comics ended up in the main continuity of the comic universe,” Winderbaum says. “My prediction is a similar thing could happen on the cinematic side as well.”

Edited by tv echo

Unconfirmed by Disney or Marvel (fyi, Season 1 only has 9 episodes) - note that if these spoilers are correct, then Gamora will show up in later episodes and also T'Challa/Star Lord will show up again in later episodes...

What If Episode Titles Leaked
by Danny Bojic   August 15, 2021
https://theclick.gg/marvel/news-marvel/what-if-episode-titles-leaked/ 

Episode 1: Captain Carter
Episode 2: T’Challa as Star Lord
Episode 3: Loki on Earth (below reddit report lists this as Fury's Big Week)
Episode 4: Dark Doctor Strange
Episode 5: Party Thor
Episode 6: Tony Stark and Killmonger
Episode 7: Marvel Zombies
Episode 8: Tony Stark on Sakaar
Episode 9: Infinite Ultron

Posted by reddit user (dow366):

Episode 1: Captain Carter, Howard Stark, Steve Rogers and The Hydra Stomper, Bucky,Tesseract,Howling Commandos. Captain Carter with a sword and shield fighting a giant tentacle monster

Episode 2: T'Challa/Star-Lord, Yondu, Ravagers,Vs. Collector, Howard the Duck, Kree soldiers, Heist Nebula, Thanos as Ravagers

Episode 3: Fury's Big Week(Iron man 2, Hulk in Harlem, Thor on earth, Cap found in ice) and Hulk-Black Widow, mystery/murder mystery. murder mystery tying together events from Iron Man 2, Thor, and The Incredible Hulk, Loki, Ross (someone is taking out the avengers and Loki invades earth to avenge thor?)

Episode 4: Dark Doctor Strange episode that’s like a tragic love story. Doctor Strange vs evil Doctor Strange.

Episode 5: Party Thor lands in Las Vegas instead of that little New Mexico town. Parties so hard it becomes world ending

Episode 6: Tony vs Killmonger. Killmonger Saves Tony in Afghanistan, Stark robots vs Killmonger in Wakanda

Episode 7: Zombies with Zombie hunter Spider-Man and Zombie Captain America vs Bucky. Zombie Scarlet Witch vs Dora Milaje, Zombie Hawkeye, Zombie Iron-man, Black Panther, Black Widow

Episode 8: Tony on Sakaar, Hulk, Grandmaster, Topaz, Valkyrie, Korg. colorful Hulkbuster armor. Gamora is on the hunt for Tony Stark

Episode 9: Ultron merged with Vision and all infinity stones, Black Widow as one of the only survivors of a cataclysmic caused by Ultron. King Killmonger/Black Panther vs Ultron, Party Thor vs Ultron. Guardians of the Multiverse - Black Panther/Killmonger, Gamora, T'Challa/Star-Lord, Party Thor, Doctor Strange

Edited by tv echo
18 hours ago, tv echo said:

Thanks for sharing this! I wish it were more officially posted. Knowing Captain Carter and Star-Lord T'Challa were a real draw in getting excited, but there were such great surprises in the episodes (Hydra Stomper!  Bucky not falling!  Thanos as a Ravager!) that they aren't really losing out IMO by sharing some of these official details. 

Episode 3 makes sense, but I'm not gonna lie and say that I'm not bummed that it seems that Loki's role (and Tom Hiddleston's glorious voice) is in a much smaller role that I thought he would have.  The Loki series spoiled me for having a normal dose of Loki and I miss it.  

The back half of the season seems really strong...can't wait to see the Zombies.  I thought Zombie Cap vs. Bucky was going to be something, but I am STOKED for Zombie Scarlett Witch vs. the Dora Milaje! Whaaaatttt! 

Edited by TrininisaScorp
  • Love 1

Marvel to Adapt Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow Movie For What If Season 2 (Exclusive)
By Richard Nebens    September 02, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/black-widow-scarlett-johansson-movie-what-if-season-2-exclusive 

In an exclusive interview with The Direct, What If...? production designer Paul Lasaine was asked if there were any specific stories or movies from Phase 4 that were already planned for adaptation to animation.

Only taking a second to tease a story based on "the woman with the red hair," Lasaine confirmed that a Season 2 episode will incorporate elements from Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow film:

"There's an episode that is based on one of the movies that literally just came out with the woman with the red hair..."

Edited by tv echo

I just think zombies sound stupid.  Why would zombies want to save the world?  It's an imprinted part of the zombie genre that they lose their individual personhood when they turn, so why would they bother with anything beyond trying to eat the living?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Dandesun said:

I am not looking forward to the zombies. I do not like zombies. 

2 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I don’t like zombies either. 😕

What if MCU meets Dr. Seuss....

• LOL 3

Marvel's What If Designer Reveals Season 1 Challenges, Teases Season 2 Characters (Exclusive)
By Richard Nebens Posted: September 09, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-what-if-season-2-characters-plot-rumors-exclusive 

The Direct recently spoke with production designer Paul Lasaine, who revealed that 2021’s Black Widow is confirmed to be explored in an episode of Season 2 of What If…? . Now, The Direct has even more details from our chat with Lasaine on Season 2's development process and what to expect next season.
While he didn’t reveal any specific projects, Lasaine teased that "some" Season 2 characters will be based on Phase 4 movie roles before hinting at “literally brand new” elements in the next batch of episodes:

“Some of the new movies that are coming out, there are some characters [in Season 2] that are based on that. And then there's some that are brand new, like... literally brand new.”
Lasaine also hinted that there were techniques that the team wanted to use on What If...? that looked slightly too similar to projects that haven't yet released within Phase 4. Hiding any spoilers, Lasaine revealed that the producers blocked an "interesting camera effect" that was going to be used "on this other movie which isn’t coming out yet for another year or two," although it was a rare occurrence:

"There was one thing, and this is a Season 2 thing, and this will not be a spoiler, but we wanted to do this cool effect in this one place, and it was really a cool, interesting camera effect. And the producers came back and said ‘Well, actually, we’re gonna be doing that on this other movie which isn’t coming out yet for another year or two, so can you come up with a different effect?’

‘Ok, yeah, sure, we can do that.’ It doesn’t happen that often, again because we are primarily basing…every one of these episodes, for the most part, is based on these existing movies, even if it’s a mash-up. You know, our Episode 2 was Guardians of the Galaxy and Black Panther, so we know what that pretty much entails, and we don’t go too far off field."

Edited by tv echo
On 8/22/2021 at 7:19 AM, tv echo said:

Episode 1: Captain Carter, Howard Stark, Steve Rogers and The Hydra Stomper, Bucky,Tesseract,Howling Commandos. Captain Carter with a sword and shield fighting a giant tentacle monster

Episode 2: T'Challa/Star-Lord, Yondu, Ravagers,Vs. Collector, Howard the Duck, Kree soldiers, Heist Nebula, Thanos as Ravagers

Episode 3: Fury's Big Week(Iron man 2, Hulk in Harlem, Thor on earth, Cap found in ice) and Hulk-Black Widow, mystery/murder mystery. murder mystery tying together events from Iron Man 2, Thor, and The Incredible Hulk, Loki, Ross (someone is taking out the avengers and Loki invades earth to avenge thor?)

Episode 4: Dark Doctor Strange episode that’s like a tragic love story. Doctor Strange vs evil Doctor Strange.

Episode 5: Party Thor lands in Las Vegas instead of that little New Mexico town. Parties so hard it becomes world ending

Episode 6: Tony vs Killmonger. Killmonger Saves Tony in Afghanistan, Stark robots vs Killmonger in Wakanda

Episode 7: Zombies with Zombie hunter Spider-Man and Zombie Captain America vs Bucky. Zombie Scarlet Witch vs Dora Milaje, Zombie Hawkeye, Zombie Iron-man, Black Panther, Black Widow

Episode 8: Tony on Sakaar, Hulk, Grandmaster, Topaz, Valkyrie, Korg. colorful Hulkbuster armor. Gamora is on the hunt for Tony Stark

Episode 9: Ultron merged with Vision and all infinity stones, Black Widow as one of the only survivors of a cataclysmic caused by Ultron. King Killmonger/Black Panther vs Ultron, Party Thor vs Ultron. Guardians of the Multiverse - Black Panther/Killmonger, Gamora, T'Challa/Star-Lord, Party Thor, Doctor Strange

So far, except for switching episodes 5 & 7, this has been completely accurate.  

On 9/14/2021 at 10:15 AM, Spartan Girl said:

So the finale has the survivors from all the multiverses we've seen so far team up?

Looks like it.  But including Killmonger?  I guess that means Shuri and Pepper failed to take him down? ☹️

3 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Looks like it.  But including Killmonger?  I guess that means Shuri and Pepper failed to take him down? ☹️

I know, that pisses me off too. WTF is The Watcher thinking?! Don’t trust Killmonger with the fate of the universe any further than you can throw him!

• Love 1

If you want to listen to the entire podcast, go to the Deadline link below...

Hero Nation Podcast: ‘What If?’ EP A.C. Bradley Teases Marvel Animated Series’ Season 2 + The Captain America & ‘West Wing’ Crossover That Never Happened
By Anthony D'Alessandro, Dominic Patten     September 24, 2021 
https://deadline.com/2021/09/what-if-marvel-series-a-c-bradley-podcast-interview-1234843778/ 

What If comics ended abruptly and really dark to prove that the main timeline is the better timeline. We’ve used that as our reason to cut stories off a little bit shorter. All these episodes could have been 45 minutes. Some of the animatics were 35 minutes, but due to animation and Covid, we cut them a little bit shorter than we would have liked,” she adds.

“While we’re staying true true to the comics that way, we couldn’t pull many original storylines because the mandate was use the MCU characters. For Marvel ‘Zombies’ we went back to the original run and pulled some of the storylines from that because it was so much fun and it’s a huge cult classic. So, when it came to adapting you pick the best parts, but you can’t show every moment.”

-- ACB: "We did have another comedy episode in the season, which is the one that has been pushed to Season 2 due to COVID production issues."

-- When asked whether the What If episodes (like the Doctor Strange one) or the Loki series connect to upcoming Marvel movies (like Spider-Man: No Way Home and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness), ACB: "It's funny, because of the nature of animation, we wrote all those episodes - we wrote the entire first season by Thanksgiving 2019. So the other shows were actually coming after us. So our scripts and animatics were actually shown to - I know the Doctor Strange 2 team saw them, I'm pretty sure the Spider-Man team saw some of the stuff that we were doing. ... Even though we came out in the middle, we were written so much earlier. ... Each of these episodes takes amost a year to animate."

-- When asked how deep they are in Season 2 right now,  ACB said that the "main bulk of my job is actually pretty much done on Season 2," that they're "in animatics stages on a lot of the episodes," that the first and second drafts of the scripts are already done, and that they are "knee deep in production and design."

-- ACB said that she pitched for both seasons a What If episode like Captain America meets West Wing, doing the whole Aaron Sorkin version, but she doubts that it will ever be done. She added that it would've been a "super talky" episode with not much action.

-- ACB: "Season 2 is a lot of fun... The training wheels come off, and we get to do a little bit weirder, wilder. There is one episode which is probably the closest to my own personality I’ve ever written. It’s heartfelt. It’s full of action and bad ‘90s clothing choices."

Edited by tv echo

Marvel's What If…? team reveals season 1 finale intel: There's 'a bigger plan'
By Sydney Bucksbaum September 28, 2021
https://ew.com/tv/marvel-what-if-ac-bradley-bryan-andrews-episode-8/ 

It's all come to this. After seven episodes of introducing different versions of iconic Marvel characters (even killing quite a few… over and over again) and destroying entire universes, What If…? is finally going to reveal the "bigger plan" behind it all.

Starting with this week's episode 8, "What If… Ultron Won?," the Disney+ animated series will start tying all these seemingly separate stories together before next week's season 1 finale offers resolution. "As we battle toward the finale, we will see some of our heroes again," head writer A.C. Bradley tells EW. "And the Watcher [voiced by Jeffrey Wright] learns a few important lessons about what it means to be a hero and comes to a realization about how much these stories, how much these worlds mean to him."

While the first seven episodes introduced new stories that haven't connected aside from the Watcher just, well, watching and commenting on what he sees, director Bryan Andrews says that waiting until the end of season 1 to finally bring everything together was always the plan. "It was designed to be a certain way, and some people have been vibing and savvy enough to notice that we're slowly seeing more and more of the Watcher's visual appearance as we move forward," Andrews says. "And that was all orchestrated from the very beginning. It's all now coming to an arrow's tip point."
That leads the all-seeing being into the final two episodes of the season with a major conflict. "Going into the finale, a major source of tension is: Will the Watcher ever break his oath? Or will he remain who he is?" Bradley teases. "Will he stay the Watcher, only observing the triumphs and tragedies? Will there ever be a story that forces his hand?"

Bradley also reveals that while this week's episode "is its own episode, it does flow in to 9. You can watch 8 as a standalone, but 9 is — for once we actually answer the end tag." She laughs as she jokes that the title for the final two episodes could be: "What If the What If…? Writers Stopped Trying to Piss Off Twitter?" But she gets serious as she adds, "It's more just: What If the Watcher Met His Heroes?"

While season 1 was written and completed a long time ago, Bradley does pay attention to what fans have been saying on social media, so she's aware that some people have been shocked by how dark and tragic many episodes have been. "The most liberating part of What If…? has been writing things you'll never see in the movies, which includes killing off our heroes, ending the world, just going full out," she says. "I'm excited for people to see that we're not going in there clueless, that there was a bit of a bigger plan. I'm aware that many of the episodes end tragically, and there might be a reason. I'm hoping people have enjoyed the ride so far, and that the finale gives them everything we promised."

Season 1 was originally meant to be 10 episodes, but because of the COVID-19 pandemic one of those episodes had to be pushed to season 2, and Bradley says the delayed episode helped balance the other, darker stories. "Our 10th episode was a more light, upbeat Tony Stark episode," she says. "I noticed on Twitter we're getting a lot of crap for killing Tony a lot. He has become the Kenny of the What If…? universe by accident."

Edited by tv echo
On 9/29/2021 at 8:15 AM, tv echo said:

Season 1 was originally meant to be 10 episodes, but because of the COVID-19 pandemic one of those episodes had to be pushed to season 2, and Bradley says the delayed episode helped balance the other, darker stories. "Our 10th episode was a more light, upbeat Tony Stark episode,"

Ah ok, this must be the Tony on Sakaar episode that was mentioned in the Reddit spoilers.  I was wondering what happened with that.

• Love 1
On 9/27/2021 at 10:09 AM, tv echo said:

-- ACB said that she pitched for both seasons a What If episode like Captain America meets West Wing, doing the whole Aaron Sorkin version, but she doubts that it will ever be done. She added that it would've been a "super talky" episode with not much action.

I still want it. You can’t just show us Steve being sworn in as POTUS and not give us a full episode! But I’d love any A/U where Steve doesn’t go to the past to be with Peggy.

8 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Ah ok, this must be the Tony on Sakaar episode that was mentioned in the Reddit spoilers.  I was wondering what happened with that.

I’ll be happy to watch it in season 2. Any episodes where Tony doesn’t die works for me.

• Love 1

Marvel's What If...? team promises 'resolution' in season finale and teases season 2
By Sydney Bucksbaum    October 05, 2021 
https://ew.com/tv/marvels-what-if-season-1-finale-ac-bradley-bryan-andrews/ 

And while there may be yet another cliffhanger ending waiting in the finale, at least we know season 2 is coming since Bradley says that all the episodes of next season have already been written. "Going into the second season, we're sticking with anthology form, and it's going to be all-new stories, lots of fun, new heroes, and pulling more from Phase Four than we were obviously able to this season," she says. "Hopefully, we'll see hints of Eternals and Shang-Chi and the Black Widow characters. The fun of What If...? is that we get to explore the entire infinite multiverse, so we try and bounce around as much as we can. I want to play with all these characters, and as much as I love Captain Carter, we've got to share the love. I'm very excited to show new worlds, new heroes."

Bradley also hints that while many of season 1's episodes featured "big, let's end the world, let's kill everyone" arcs, season 2 episodes will "focus a lot more on the character stories and these heroes and showing a different side of them that people don't expect and hopefully they can relate to."

"We're not a show that's designed to set up Avengers 5," she adds. "It's supposed to be just about entertainment and what these heroes mean to us. When I took the job, one of my rules was let's be free. We're in the multiverse — we should be as free as can be and go and run into the wild, into the stories the movies will never do, into the stories the TV shows will never do, and show both Disney and the fans all the possibilities of these characters."

And Bradley is aware that most of the episodes veered into much darker territory than what fans may have been expecting from the MCU — especially since they kept killing Tony Stark (voiced by Mick Wingert) over and over again, she adds with a laugh. But it turns out the darkest episode, featuring Strange Supreme destroying his entire universe, could have actually been a lot darker.

"Originally in the script, regular Strange, his death was a lot more gruesome," Bradley reveals. "He was actually beaten to death by the Eye of Agamotto. Then when the storyboard artist took it over, they were like, 'We're going to make this a little bit more visual and fantastical instead of horrifically violent.' Because I went too dark. But this was our chance to be big comic book dorks and show the different sides and have some fun. And the original What If...? comic books were notorious for having tragic endings and twist endings which I wanted to play with. And we were free to go wherever we wanted."

Edited by tv echo

Interview with head writer A.C. Bradley and director Bryan Andrews...

Inside Marvel’s ‘What If…?’ Finale, Season 2 Plans and the T’Challa Spinoff That Never Was
By Adam B. Vary   Oct 6, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/marvel-what-if-season-1-finale-tchalla-spin-off-chadwick-boseman-1235082366/ 

You’re already working on Season 2 of “What If…?” — and based on the post-credits teaser, it appears we should expect to see more of Captain Carter (Hayley Atwell) after she discovers that her beloved Steve Rogers is still alive in modern day?
Bryan Andrews:
I would wager it’s a relatively safe bet. (Laughs)

A.C. Bradley: For me, the difference between a twist ending that we were doing all season and a post-credits teaser is that a twist ending is fun, but a post-credits teaser is a promise.

Well, that allows me to segue into my next question, which is that a lot of the Season 1 episodes ended with a cliffhanger. Will any of those storylines continue in Season 2?
Bradley: A lot of the Season 1 episodes were hopefully resolved enough in the finale. Killmonger’s world — he’s taken out of the equation, and we know Shuri and Pepper were already coming for him. So hopefully that world is back to peace. Dystopian Natasha kicked some Loki butt and is back with her man Nick Fury to save the world, so order’s gonna be restored there. Zombies? Who knows. But we tried to give some resolution. And even with our lovely Star Lord T’Challa — Ego might be on Earth, but do you think he can actually take down both the Ravagers and the Wakandans, now that Peter Quill is part of the fight? I think he’s going to lose. So we try to give some closure to all those stories in the finale.

There’s also a brief moment in the finale where we meet an alternate version of Gamora with a sort of space Tony Stark. Will we get to see more of that universe in Season 2?
Bradley:
That’s a definite yes. Basically what happened was we originally had an episode planned for earlier in the season that was a fun, light-hearted, living, breathing Tony Stark-centric episode with Gamora. However, due to the COVID pandemic, one of our animation houses was hit incredibly hard, and the episode needed to be pushed into Season 2, because it would not be finished in time. Given everything that we’ve all went through over the past two years, pushing an episode of television is absolutely nothing in comparison. And we understood. We hope fans enjoy the ride next year.

It almost felt like a nice teaser for what you could expect, suggesting that there are these other universes that you hadn’t seen yet.
Bradley:
Definitely. I think everyone’s going to be surprised by the way Gamora gets that armor, and how her relationship with Tony evolves, because they’re obviously good friends in that bit that we see. So, it will be a fun universe to see, hopefully, next year, and I think you found the silver lining there. It is a promise of more stories to come.

Will Season 2 incorporate any alternative universes of the live-action Disney Plus shows?
Bradley:
We definitely use the characters.

Andrews: In Season 2, a lot of the stuff that we’re doing, we’re doing concurrently with the Disney Plus live-action shows. We were already writing. So we may not get a chance to explore some of the stuff that showed up in those shows, because we’re doing them almost at the exact same time. [Marvel Studios chief] Kevin [Feige] was like, “No no no! No touching! Don’t touch that! Not yet!” Maybe one day, maybe, if these things continue, we can play with some of that stuff. But we definitely get to play with some other parts of the MCU, for sure. There’s fertile ground.

It was so lovely to see so much of T’Challa this season. It felt like a gift to audiences who felt like they didn’t get to see enough of Chadwick Boseman’s performance. Was he able to record anything for Season 2?
Andrews:
Unfortunately, no.

Bradley: We were lucky we had him for Season 1.

Andrews: Chadwick had recorded his Star Lord T’Challa stuff early. But we had those later episodes that he appeared in sporadically, and it was a long stretch before we got him [again]. And it was not long after the final recording that he passed. I think it was maybe just a few months, or a month. None of us knew, obviously. But we got him in time to have everything [for Season 1]. I think he was also trying to make an effort because T’Challa was so important to him — and also this new version of Star Lord T’Challa was so important to him. He dug it.

I don’t know if he knew this, but there was planning to have Star Lord T’Challa spin off into his own show with that universe and crew. We were all very excited. We know he would have loved it, too. And then, you know, he passed, and so all that’s in limbo. So, who knows? Maybe one day.
The Season 1 finale ends with Natasha from the dystopian Ultron universe in Episode 8 replacing the dead Natasha from the murdered Avengers universe in Episode 3. And that would seem to present an interesting challenge as storytellers in keeping the stakes high, when you’ve got a multiverse that can allow you to cheat death in a way. So how do you navigate that?
Bradley:
When it came to resolving Dystopian Natasha’s story, we realized that keeping her on that Ultron world was a fate worse than death. Everyone’s gone. And the Watcher, as he says to her, these stories have become everything to him. It didn’t come from a place of like, ‘Oh, what are we saying about Marvel and the MCU?’ It came from a place of, ‘What are we saying about the Watcher?’ He loves these characters. He loves these stories, these people, these heroes. He would never banish her back to a planet to basically starve to death by herself. We wanted to put her in a world where she could be the Natasha Romanoff that he has watched in different versions and loves. So that’s where the idea came from. Whether or not that’ll be reflected in the greater MCU? Who knows. They always have plans.

Andrews: When it comes to the challenge of a multiverse, it’s like, ‘Oh, well, this person’s alive in a thousand different ways in different universes,’ and doesn’t that cheapen the stakes? I don’t think so, because you’re only still watching one story at one time, and hopefully we’re doing our job enough where you’re compelled by what these people on the screen are doing at that time, and surprised at what may or may not happen to them. So, if we’re doing our job and engaging the audience, it shouldn’t matter that there could be some other person that’s alive or dead in some other universe. It’s what’s happening right there in the present, right in front of your face — that adventure. And if you can connect in some way, then awesome. Then it’s always gonna work. And you never know what you’re gonna get, which I think is part of the fun, and that was one of the great things about doing the whole series. We can go dark. We can go into comedy. We can really lean into the genre, which was part of the joy.

Finally, the Watcher breaks his oath to bring together the Guardians of the Multiverse, which makes clear he can be more of an active character than just a passive observer. Should we expect to see Jeffrey Wright play this role in live action?
Bradley:
Jeffrey Wright can play any role he wants, as far as I’m concerned. If he wants to play Sue Storm, sign him up!

Andrews: We love him. It’s up to Kevin. At some point, maybe? Who knows what they have in store. There’s some things that we may know, but there’s a lot that even we don’t know, because they keep it buttoned up. But I’m with the audience. I think it would be amazing to see. I would love to see some random shots where there’s Jeffrey Wright, watching from a distance.

Edited by tv echo
12 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

What If.....Wanda and Vision get to be happy?

I wish I was kidding.

I'll second that and raise you:

"What if...Sharon Carter had an actual plot that showed the writers actually read the comics."

• Love 1

What If…? asks what would happen if the Tesseract fell to Earth and landed in the sovereign Haudenosaunee Confederacy before the colonization of America.

The Tesseract takes on a new life and a new mythology, transforming a lake into a gateway to the stars and leading Kahhori, a young Mohawk woman, on a quest to discover her power.
Written by Ryan Little (What If…? ), the episode was created in close collaboration with members of the Mohawk Nation like historian Doug George and Mohawk language expert Cecelia King to ensure cultural authenticity. The episode takes place in the Mohawk language and is informed by the history of the Akwesasne region in what is now upstate New York.
Kahhori marks a significant new edition to the pantheon of Marvel Super Heroes. Ahead of her debut on Disney+, FUNKO is celebrating Kahhori with a special glow-in-the-dark Funko Vinyl Soda that teases the new hero’s cosmic powers.

The Funko Vinyl Soda collectible will be on sale March 29, exclusively at Wal-Mart retailers.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

The (possibly fake) episode titles for s2:

What If... Nebula Joined the Nova Corps?
What If... Peter Quill Attacked Earth's Mightiest Heroes?
What If... Happy Hogan Saved Christmas?
What If... Iron Man Crashed into the Grandmaster?
What If... Captain Carter Fought the Hydra Stomper?
What If... The Avengers Assembled in 1602?
What If... Hela found the Ten Rings?
What If... Kahhori Reshaped the World?
What If... Strange Supreme Intervened?

4 hours ago, arc said:

The (possibly fake) episode titles for s2:

I think those are real, since they match the latest ones I found.

S02.E01: What If... Nebula Joined the Nova Corps?
Premiere Date: December 22, 2023     
S02.E02: What If... Peter Quill Attacked Earth's Mightiest Heroes?
Premiere Date: December 23, 2023     
S02.E03: What If... Happy Hogan Saved Christmas?
Premiere Date: December 24, 2023     
S02.E04: What If... Iron Man Crashed into the Grandmaster?
Premiere Date: December 25, 2023     
S02.E05: What If... Captain Carter Fought the Hydra Stomper?
Premiere Date: December 26, 2023     
S02.E06: What If... The Avengers Assembled in 1602?
Premiere Date: December 27, 2023     
S02.E07: What If... Hela Found the Ten Rings?
Premiere Date: December 28, 2023     
S02.E08: What If... Kahhori Reshaped the World?
Premiere Date: December 29, 2023     
S02.E09: What If... Strange Supreme Intervened?
Premiere Date: December 30, 2023     

Now I need to find some Episodes descriptions.