Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E21: Eric Adams; Stacey Plaskett; Joshua Green

• Start Topic

Bill returns from his summer break, opening the show by interviewing Eric Adams, the Democratic nominee for NYC Mayor. For the panel discussion, he's joined by Democratic congresswoman Rep. Stacey Plaskett and author Joshua Green who is also a senior national correspondent for Bloomberg Businessweek.

Original air date 2021.07.30

I almost turned this off after the first ten minutes of some really cringeworthy jokes and Covid complaints from Bill.  His discussion with Eric Adams was also weird, with all the bonding over diet.  But it was worth sticking it out for Stacey Plaskett, the Delegate from the VI. And to give Bill credit, he was sympathetic to Simone Biles. 

I'm sure many of you will be shocked that Bill has to wear glasses. Good grief.

ETA: I wasn't going to watch but ended up caving.

• Love 3
(edited)

It was also insightful to hear as to why the other US territories can't become states due to some old law written in the early 1900s. My mom from Puerto Rico wanted her US territory country to become a part of the states, but hearing it from the voice of Plaskett, I can't believe a lot of people have that law still. So infuriating. My mom and her late mother was vowing for statehood for a long time. It's upsetting to hear that there are roadblocks.

Edited by letter8358
  • Love 2

Are Lego glocks really a thing?

Can't believe final New Rule devolved into another rant about cancel culture. Good grief, let it go already. So many more important things going on in the world! I guess this speaks to the kind of privileged life Bill leads if this is the most important thing to him.

Stacey Plaskett on criticism of Simone Biles: "They can kiss my overworked black woman ass." LOL.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Are Lego glocks really a thing?

Can't believe final New Rule devolved into another rant about cancel culture. Good grief, let it go already. So many more important things going on in the world! I guess this speaks to the kind of privileged life Bill leads if this is the most important thing to him.

Stacey Plaskett on criticism of Simone Biles: "They can kiss my overworked black woman ass." LOL.

How about this...I'm going to cancel the term "cancel culture". I am so sick of the whining from celebrities and Fox News personalities about being "canceled". Put your big boy pants on Bill and deal with it. Back in my day, canceling someone or something was called "boycotting", "firing" or just plain calling out people for being douchey dicks...I cancel things daily. I don't like a TV show anymore, like Real Time with Bill Maher, I don't watch it anymore...I don't like the grocery store that I've been going to for years, I don't go there anymore...a friend I've had for decades now makes racist remarks, I don't talk to her anymore...I've been canceled as well! My Facebook posts make some people uncomfortable because sometimes I post memes that make MAGA people pissed and guess what? They cancel me! I don't give a shit...I shrug my shouders and laugh. Quit being a whiny little bitch Bill.

• LOL 1
  • Love 20

I thought Bill looked tired and frustrated, as if he'd rather be anywhere else -- which looked strange after a good month's rest. 

At least he did (however begrudgingly) agree that more people need to be vaccinated. 

I thought his rant about cultural appropriation was worth his ranting. Adopting another culture in order to make fun of it (e.g., minstrelsy) is egregiously offensive. Assimilating another culture because you find much to love in it is not.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, arachne said:

I thought Bill looked tired and frustrated, as if he'd rather be anywhere else -- which looked strange after a good month's rest.

Although I generally enjoyed Friday's show - primarily due to Rep. Stacey Plaskett, who I didn't know anything about - there is definitely a "tired-ness" starting to surface. The show has become formulaic in an odd way - the opening segment is now mostly used as a forum for Bill to shoot-the-shit with friends or folks he admires (Tarantino, De Grasse Tyson and now Eric Adams), the Round-table segment that now has an obligatory feel to it, and then the hot-and-cold running New Rules to wrap things up. Unless he's just doing this for the dollars, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bill hang it up in another year or two.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I thought his rant about cultural appropriation was worth his ranting. Adopting another culture in order to make fun of it (e.g., minstrelsy) is egregiously offensive. Assimilating another culture because you find much to love in it is not.

His rants sound eerily familiar...maybe because I've seen Fox News personalities do the same rants?

1 hour ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Although I generally enjoyed Friday's show - primarily due to Rep. Stacey Plaskett, who I didn't know anything about - there is definitely a "tired-ness" starting to surface. The show has become formulaic in an odd way - the opening segment is now mostly used as a forum for Bill to shoot-the-shit with friends or folks he admires (Tarantino, De Grasse Tyson and now Eric Adams), the Round-table segment that now has an obligatory feel to it, and then the hot-and-cold running New Rules to wrap things up. Unless he's just doing this for the dollars, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bill hang it up in another year or two.

HBO recently re-upped for a couple more seasons, at least. Maybe someone remembers the exact number of years?

27 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

HBO recently re-upped for a couple more seasons, at least. Maybe someone remembers the exact number of years?

Quick look at media thread shows it’s through 2022.

I am one who doesn’t mind Bill’s rants about cancel culture, as I think it’s grievously wrong the way it’s being done in this day and age.

However, I looked into the “bullying” during elementary school of the Olympic composer, Oyamada, who was forced to resign. That wasn’t bullying. That was criminal behavior and he should have been sent off somewhere. He forced a disabled child to eat his own feces and to masturbate in front of other students. He then spoke about it several times during interviews in later years in a boastful way. 

I will give Bill the benefit of the doubt and say he wasn’t aware of this guy’s abominable behavior, doesn’t matter what his age was. But, ignorance is not an excuse. I hope I Bill brings it up again next week and says that guy absolutely should have been canceled.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2