Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E16: Caitlin

• Start Topic

Yeah, there was a moment at the very end where she said she was looking forward to something, or proud of herself or something, and then she looked down and I thought "Nope." I could just tell she was going to relapse. It was very sad, though.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Yeah, there was a moment at the very end where she said she was looking forward to something, or proud of herself or something, and then she looked down and I thought "Nope." I could just tell she was going to relapse. It was very sad, though.

I caught the same thing.  Very sad.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I just had a feeling that Caitlyn was too far gone for help. It's hard to say what the worst drug is, but crack cocaine has to be a contender.

Caitlyn seems like one of those addicts who has no coping skills, liked to party and both combined into this perfect storm of addiction. She was obviously in trouble and needed help, but I didn’t think she was too far gone for help. I’ve seen much much worse on this show. I wasn’t surprised when it was said she relapsed and refused further treatment. She didn’t seem genuine at all in her 60-day follow up interview. Very sad. 

• Love 1

We seem to be seeing so many addicts this season that relapse and end upon the streets again...it makes you wonder why does A&E bother? I think in order for there to be any kind of prolonged success with any of these addicts there needs to be sober living treatment after rehab. Leaving rehab and going home seems to be a recipe for failure. Caitlin needed continued psychological therapy along with continued work on staying sober. Her adoptive parents were nice but couldn't handle dealing with someone with such a strong addiction and subsequent behaviors. They needed therapy too. 

• Love 3

What is wrong with this show?! How many times are they going to send the addict back home to dysfunctional families and/or way too soon, only for them to relapse. How many of these have we seen in these Canadian episodes this season? As soon as Caitlyn's mom came up and bear-hugged her from behind and was like "Who loves you????" I was like ...and queue the relapse. 

• Love 2

This young woman has obviously been spoiled rotten all her life.  me, me, me. No boundaries ever,  it seems.  Not sure she isn’t mentally ill on top of it. She seems ill equipped for adulthood even during her 60 day interview. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, TVbitch said:

What is wrong with this show?! How many times are they going to send the addict back home to dysfunctional families and/or way too soon, only for them to relapse. How many of these have we seen in these Canadian episodes this season? As soon as Caitlyn's mom came up and bear-hugged her from behind and was like "Who loves you????" I was like ...and queue the relapse. 

I have some experience in this (alcoholic family member). The last 2 times he went to rehab. I begged the family members to NOT let him come back to their house, that being put in the same dysfunctional and enabling environment wouldnt work. There's no way he could stay sober there. They told me they wouldn't let him go back there. I talked to the alcoholic, told him the same thing, implored him to go to sober living, offered to help pay for it.

Upon discharge from rehab, he went straight back home. Relapsed shortly thereafter. Both parties seemed surprised and I was in the middle of it wanting to scream "I told  you so." 

So now? Boundaries. For me. I can't any more. I can't care about someone's sobriety more than they do. It's a sad situation. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I am an only child to older parents (not adopted), and agree with the poster above that Caitlin seemed spoiled rotten. But it takes two sides to be spoiled, if that makes sense. There’s a responsibility on the child’s part to not take advantage of the situation. I guess it comes down to one’s sense of morals. Caitlin did not seem like a good or nice person, ever. She seemed like a troublemaker and attention seeker rebelling against nothing in particular. Every opportunity to act out - meeting the birth mother, her friend dying - was absolutely maximized by Caitlin to react with bad behavior and cause chaos. Her smoking crack in the car and blowing the smoke all over her mother and in her father’s car - absolute showboating. Open reveling in her addiction. Just GROSS behavior. 

During the intervention when the group was running after her, and she screamed at her friend to “stop crying” and called her a “whiny bitch” - that was one of the most heartless moments I have seen from an addict on this show. Yes, it’s the “addiction” talking, but what if the addiction is layered on top of an already nasty selfish person? You get Caitlin. I think she faked her way through rehab with the intention of immediately relapsing. 

I felt so bad for her adopted parents who gave up so much late in their lives only to have to deal with this constant fiasco. Of course her parents were not without fault, but I could not imagine putting two kind and loving people through so much stress late in their lives where they should be relaxing and living out nice, peaceful, pleasant years. 

Selfish and heartless. Some people don’t deserved to be saved. Not that Caitlin doesn’t deserve treatment eventually, but she is currently too selfish for it to be effective. 

Also, not that it matters much, but I think Maureen was a bad match for Caitlin. Maureen’s scolding schoolmarm style seems to work well with people closer to her age; women in particular. Caitlin needed the badass female interventionist with the mesmerizing deep voice that appeared in one of this season’s Canada episodes. I think Caitlin would have responded better to her, but again, she remains too selfish to get better. 

Btw - love how Maureen brings the fashion. That light colored top with the pearls during the pre intervention: 👍👍

Edited by HelloOutThere
Pearls not pears!
  • Love 6
(edited)

hen she looked down and I thought "Nope."

She has a "tell." I saw it too. Even before that I figured she would not stick it out.

Sometimes I think people go to rehab to get out of the weather, the filth, to have decent food, to sleep in safety, to get suboxone or whatever it is they are given...planning to use the moment they are released, presumably healthy enough again to have another go.

One of Caitlin's addictions is attention and drama.

I wondered if Caitlin's mother was trying to win Caitlin's love - the adoptive mother who was rejected for a while in favor of the birth mother, and who in the end was the only family member who would see Caitlin (and be her drug dealer, as Maureen so wisely expressed it).

Right now my county is broadcasting that a very bad batch of drugs has landed (bad fentanyl), and that overdoses are up by about 40% in the past couple of weeks. They are handing out free test strips as well as Narcan.

Edited by pasdetrois
On 7/6/2021 at 8:17 PM, Enero said:

Caitlyn seems like one of those addicts who has no coping skills, liked to party and both combined into this perfect storm of addiction. She was obviously in trouble and needed help, but I didn’t think she was too far gone for help. I’ve seen much much worse on this show. I wasn’t surprised when it was said she relapsed and refused further treatment. She didn’t seem genuine at all in her 60-day follow up interview. Very sad. 

That’s because you can’t force or guilt trip someone into seeking treatment like this show does. The addict has to be defeated, at rock bottom and ready to go themselves. Otherwise it’ll never work, just like it didn’t in this woman’s case.