Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

We arrived in Interlaken yesterday. Found a place near our hotel that serves raclette, but a 2 person minimum and 44.50 Swiss Francs per person. I really wanted to try it but not at those prices, plus it was all you can eat. We opted for Rosti instead with a mushroom cream sauce.

I made some pork, ginger, and lemongrass wontons and made a soup with them spinach, mushrooms and tofu. Plus, I made enough to freeze so can have a quick and tasty weeknight meal.

• Love 1

Tonight will be grilled (homemade) polenta cakes with Italian sausages from the Italian deli that brings down their meats from NYC every week. (The Italian sausage in the south is just too sweet and doesn’t have enough of the spices that give it the good flavor...i.e. fennel seeds)  It will be covered in a homemade tomato marinara. Also a Hand melon that is perfectly ripened. 

17 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

What? Is it so hot that everyone is out of their kitchens? Tonight is a charcuterie and split pea and ham soup. 

I grilled some chicken yesterday with a nice spice rub. Today that gets turned into burritos for my son. I think I'll stop at the deli on the way home and pick up some coleslaw, since he seems to like it, and he'll get some watermelon. For the vegetarian, I'll reheat a slice of margarita pizza from Sunday on the grill and some fruit. 

For me, who the heck knows. Salad, and forage through the fridge. After dinner, I think the order of things is exercise bike, clean up and go to the craft brewery to try their new release and then grocery shopping. Because beer -> shopping is a good way for me to try new things. 

• Love 1

We had an 8 1/2 hour flight home from Frankfurt yesterday - they fed us 2 meals plus an ice cream break in between. We got home about 8:30 ET, so basically fed the cat and fell into bed. I did some grocery shopping today to get staples back into the house, and picked up 2 strawberry poppy seed salads with chicken from Panera Bread for dinner. I'm not sure I'll make it to dinner. So good to be home.

• Love 3

I am still on an Asian noodle and kick so to night it was a twist on a Vietnamese noodle salad with beef and a super fish sauce heavy vinegarette.

Breas for muffuletta is currently proofing overnight in the fridge and a homemade giardiniera has been pickling for a few days so tomorrow will be different!

• Love 1

Drove to SE PA for my 50th high school reunion. Hors d'oeuvres followed by a buffet of salad, roast beef, chicken piccata, vegetable lasagna, roasted veggies, and desserts. I haven't seen these folks in 35 years!

• Love 2

We had Shrimp Curry and it was delicious!  Love that stuff and the house had such a wonderful "frangrance" (kept making me want to have more).  Mr. P914 has been doing the cooking all week as I had back surgery on June 6th.  Thank God he's always been a decent cook and a good caregiver.  It's funny though.   When he's been looking at the recipes in the kitchen bible I created (all our favorite recipes), he says, "What do you mean by a little Mural of Flavor, a bit of garlic powder, some fresh ginger sauted, etc?"  At first I'd have to do the sprinkles of stuff and fistfuls of herbs.  Now he's picked up on how it's done (how much chopped bell pepper?  start adding it into the skillet and when it looks like enough...stop).  A lot of my recipes I've copied from online or out of cookbooks and don't bother with measurements of the extras that I add.  I kinda like this: no cooking and no cleaning the kitchen either!

• Love 6

I don't know.  Saturday was my dad's birthday, for which he wanted steak, and for Father's Day he wanted crab cakes.  So Saturday he grilled ribeye steaks, my mom baked potatoes for the two of them, and I made sauteed spinach and mushrooms and a mixed greens salad with cucumber and avocado.  Sunday, my mom made crab cakes, and I made roasted asparagus and a dill slaw.  Tonight, I'm home and lazy, getting hungry, but not in the mood to make anything.  I don't want to order in since we also had cake and ice cream both those nights and I thus don't need the extra fat and salt in restaurant food tonight, but nothing is speaking to me. 

Last night: we some frozen ravioli left over, so I cooked/heated that in beef broth with some vegetables.  Tonight?  My husband has a work thing, so I get to eat food *I* like.  It'll likely be a healthy meal of poached salmon and steamed asparagus. 

(edited)

Last night we had leftover carne asada, rice, beans, salsa, grilled corn and pineapple, corn tortillas, and flan. All homemade!

The kids came over Sunday and cooked and grilled father's day dinner after we all came home from successfully getting out of an escape room. Those things are fun! 

Edited by Giselle
clarity
  • Love 2

Yesterday I had a potluck lunch. I made a shrimp pasta salad with a lemon/oil based vinaigrette. A person next to me commented on how good it was, not knowing I made it. :-) We had it for dinner last night and my husband loved it. Guess I have a keeper. 

• Love 6

I've been eating a lot of salads, veggie burgers, made my own pizza on Sunday. Very low on meat of late.

So last night I picked up ground beef and the boy and I are having hamburgers tonight. I've got coleslaw, potato salad and watermelon in the fridge. Tomorrow is the first day of summer, tonight we eat like it started a day early.

(edited)
On 6/9/2018 at 5:08 PM, MargeGunderson said:

Sweet corn and crab cakes. I am on my own this week, so I’m enjoying all the things Mr Gunderson doesn’t care for. Tomorrow, steak! With the bone in!

I do that when Mr. G is away. God decided to have a laugh with me and made me fall in love with picky eater. He will at least try things and I have expanded his palate some what.

Also I am so limited when it comes to vegetables he will eat. I eat them all except wax beans and green lima beans. I have to make his n her veggies when I cook. 

Edited by Giselle
It's hump day?
(edited)

I still don't know what I'm gonna cook for supper. I've got an hour and half to figure it out and get it on the table.

Edited by Giselle
Can't tell time.
(edited)

Yesterday I finally re-seasoned my cast iron pan which I had been putting off for quite some time.  I only remember it needs to be done when I am about to cook something on it and that really is too late to get the whole process started.

So after baking my first loaf of bread ever (see the Baking Topic thread), I re-seasoned the cast iron in the already hot oven.  Last night's dinner was beef tenderloin (cooked in the cast iron), bread, mashed potatoes for me and leftover steamed rice for the kids and fruits & veggies.

Edited by DeLurker

Homemade eggrolls for dinner tonight.  The filling is just waiting to cool off so I can assemble things, but I'll probably wait a bit to cook them because it is still eleven billion degrees outside.

• Love 3

Tonight I made another easy chicken dish I inexplicably had not made in quite some time -- start chicken breasts baking, sauté mushrooms and onion, add chicken stock, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and thyme to the mushrooms and simmer for about five minutes, add a little butter at the end, then pour it over the chicken.

• Love 4

I just polished off seared scallops over artichoke hearts (with shallot and parsley) and reduced dry vermouth.  Damn, that was good.  Another thing I hadn't made in a while.  I made too much, but reheated scallops = ugh, so I was forced to eat the whole thing.  Oops. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/24/2018 at 9:05 PM, Bastet said:

Tonight I made another easy chicken dish I inexplicably had not made in quite some time -- start chicken breasts baking, sauté mushrooms and onion, add chicken stock, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and thyme to the mushrooms and simmer for about five minutes, add a little butter at the end, then pour it over the chicken.

Mmmmm! Using breasts and dark meat I use same ingredients minus the vinegar and add some heavy cream. I'll also make this on the stove top browning the meat first then sauteing the remaining ingredients and adding the neat back in to simmer.  I also make it with pork chops or rabbit.

I'm gonna try your way next time!

Edited by Giselle
Stepping barefoot on a soggy hairball this am.

Pizza party. I have vegetarian and vegans coming over as well as meat eaters so just made a bunch of individual sized pizzas and a bunch of toppings so everyone gets to make their own, a cucumber and tomato salad with feta (optional), a raspberry cake and lemon sorbet for the vegans. Plus tons of wine and a few cocktails!

• Love 4
(edited)

Scallops, clams and flounder that was filleted as we got it. Very fresh. No fishy taste (which is an instant turn off to me who is allergic to so much of it). Green beans and a good bottle of Pinot Noir. Living on a beach area has its benefits. 

Edited to add: Only because I live here. The tourists have come in in droves. They are swamping our local grocery stores and parking is a nightmare. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
To add a comment.
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

lemon sorbet for the vegans

Heh heh heh. It’s like they’re a different species. 

“I’m making lasagna for dinner, and for the guinea pigs I picked up some kale and baby carrots.”

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Heh heh heh. It’s like they’re a different species. 

“I’m making lasagna for dinner, and for the guinea pigs I picked up some kale and baby carrots.”

No it’s that I had a shit ton of lemons and the vegans requested it because my lemon sorbet is amazing. I also had several fruits and cordials to go with it. Everyone was happy. 

I am going to be making two crazy frittatas for those that stayed over and are coming over for brunch with the leftover pizza ingredients and using the leftover pizza dough to make fruit hand pies.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
On 6/30/2018 at 11:56 AM, JTMacc99 said:

German potato salad is prepared and in the fridge, ribs are on the smoker, watermelon is not yet cut up. Solid effort from me on this unreasonably hot Saturday. 

Because I live under a rock, I've never heard of German potato salad.  An internet search of recipes indicates that this is something I would like.  Would you please share your preferred recipe?

Dinner tonight will probably grilled hamburgers for the kids, plus a few to spare for easy lunch fixings.  I'm probably going to go with some grilled Alaskan Cod for myself.