Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I put a pan of chicken thighs in the oven basted with some BBQ sauce to bake while I pulled weeds in the front yard flower bed.  I don't have the energy to make anything complicated to go with the chicken--and I'm feeling rebellious so I don't want healthy veggies tonight--so I think I'm just going to make some mashed potatoes from an envelope (Idahoan brand?).  Not nearly as good as from scratch, but I'm okay with that.  

• Love 1

Grilled roast pork tenderloins. One rubbed with fresh rosemary and lemon zest. The other with olive oil and a lot of fresh ground pepper. Sides were a veggie filled salad, homemade baked potato chips, olive bread and butter and a grilled pineapple salsa which was fresh and full of zing from the jalapeños. My friend and I made the food then toted it across the street where the neighbors had wine ready. Lots of laughter ensued while enjoying a great meal. 

• Love 5
(edited)
10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

@Mindthinkr:  Wow!  That meal is inspirational :>)  I wish you lived across the street from me!

We had so much fun that we decided to do a once a month dinner also including another couple I didn't get to meet but everyone else knows. Since two of us gals are singletons we're breaking it down as follows. One person does appetizers, one the main, desert and the other person does wine or a signature cocktail. Cooking will be for six unless we get more ppl that want to participate (in which case we can add separate sides and salads categories). Who knows how this will end up but we can't start until fall as too many of us travel and have other things going on in the summers. 

@annzeepark914 If you lived near me I'd be happy to ask you to join. I adore cooking. People who enjoy food are always welcomed at my table. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Oops..bad grammar
  • Love 4

Last night was chuck / pot (?) roast in the slow cooker with a balsamic vinegar base.  A quick sear on the chuck roast first.

It turned out quite tasty!  I haven't been pleased with my prior pot roast/chuck roast recipes so this is a big deal for me.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Pad Thai, Siam rolls, and chicken satay from our very good local Thai place. My only complaint is that there is not enough tamarind in the Pad Thai. I want lots of tamarind. 

I'm lucky. I just go over to my sister in law's place for Thai. She grew up in the Issan region then lived in Bangkok .

Tonight though is Clear the Fridge. Leftovers with a tabouli salad I made this morning.  

Tomorrow we're headed up to the Strawberry Festival.

Made a Mediterranean inspired chicken pasta salad using leftover roast chicken and cleaning out the crisper to prepare for the trip to the farmers market tomorrow. Washed it down with a mango, strawberry, jalapeño white sangria. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Washed it down with a mango, strawberry, jalapeño white sangria. 

That sounds so good.  Can you share your recipe for it?

19 minutes ago, ariel said:

That sounds so good.  Can you share your recipe for it?

I tend not to do recipes for drinks. Here's what I did: blend two really ripe mangos with a handful of strawberries to get a puree, added a bottle of viognier, about 3/4 cup light rum, another mango cut up, several strawberries sliced, sliced lemon, half a sliced jalapeño. Let it chill for 5 hours. Pour into glasses top with some tonic.

I was trying to use as many mangos as possible because someone keeps giving us them so we have so many.

• Love 3
(edited)

Roast chicken and mejadra from our favorite deli.  Because we're lazy. (I roasted the chicken, we were only lazy about the mejadra.)

Edited by harrie

I made some delicious empanadas filled with spinach, bacon and cottage cheese but boy, are they ugly:  I successfully rolled the dough out thin but it kept tearing when I tried to handle it so my little pies look more like little mummies. Next time, I think I will try to make five or six larger pastries rather than 30 little ones.

• Love 2

I got a ton of snap beans from my dad's garden this weekend and put some on to cook a while ago (I made a potful and it only used up about a third of the beans I brought back).  I put a couple of slices of bacon (browned) in as seasoning.  They weren't ready for supper (I had a ham sandwich), but I'll have a bowlful now and put the rest in the fridge for other dinners this week. 

• Love 5

Thai beef salad, Pork Belly slices fried with chillies and thai basil. All served with steamed rice

Dessert will be calamansi curd cake - Vanilla chiffon, 2 layers of calamansi curd covered in fresh whipped cream. I make and freeze calamansi curd. It makes me feel secure in life knowing I have frozen curd on demand. 

Kidlet does not enjoy spicy thai food so he is eating a giant hunk of salmon with pasta and broccoli.

Someone sent me a bastardised flour tortilla recipe years ago and I make it for my bastardised mince tacos. Well ever since kidlet decided he had an appetite I have not had mince tacos! I make 20 flour tortillas at a time only for him to eat five in one sitting. And then he demands them as a snack randomly during the week so I have no energy to make any for us. *cries*

• Love 2
5 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Anybody use pasta nests?  I ordered some with my grocery delivery.

I've used them. Found them in a higher end grocery in my area (that I run in to only get things that aren't available in my regular store as it's too pricey). I liked them. They cooked easily enough and it was as though the portion control was already done for me. They don't always hold their shape when boiling so you might want to adjust the boil to a simmer and just add a bit more time to the cooking. 

6 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I've used them. Found them in a higher end grocery in my area (that I run in to only get things that aren't available in my regular store as it's too pricey). I liked them. They cooked easily enough and it was as though the portion control was already done for me. They don't always hold their shape when boiling so you might want to adjust the boil to a simmer and just add a bit more time to the cooking. 

Thanks, Mindthinkr.  I thought it might be interesting to load them up with whatever I feel like throwing in a pan.

Sounds good. I call it garbage pasta...where I throw into the sauce any veggies I happen to have on hand. I make the basic sauce by the potfulls and then freeze in containers. Then I just defrost, add whatever and voila...dinner. If I want a sweet sauce I cook carrots, purée and then add to the basic sauce. Then  I top it with Romano cheese and it's good enough standing alone. All kids like it because it tastes semi-sweet. 

• Love 1

Sticky rice again!

Today we are having it with pork floss, king oyster mushrooms, Chinese sausage and half a boiled egg. 

Mr Mellow got confused and bought me 10kg of glutinous rice instead of jasmine rice. I was so annoyed I actually rang him at work to tell him off!!!!

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Sticky rice again!

Today we are having it with pork floss, king oyster mushrooms, Chinese sausage and half a boiled egg. 

Mr Mellow got confused and bought me 10kg of glutinous rice instead of jasmine rice. I was so annoyed I actually rang him at work to tell him off!!!!

I wish you would stop posting and I mean that in a GOOD way! I read all your dinner menus and I want to come to your house!

• Love 1

Aloo Gobi and Jasmine rice. Raita and Naan. Yes, I went out (tho the Drs wife I worked with gave me private Indian food cooking lessons and brought home enough spices so I always had the real things for the recipes) but I go into a new house tomorrow. Don't know what meal to christen it in with. Suggestions welcome. 

7 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Aloo Gobi and Jasmine rice. Raita and Naan. Yes, I went out (tho the Drs wife I worked with gave me private Indian food cooking lessons and brought home enough spices so I always had the real things for the recipes) but I go into a new house tomorrow. Don't know what meal to christen it in with. Suggestions welcome. 

Take out.

3 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Take out.

True for my first night as it will be a bit until it gets painted etc; but I love to cook and would like to mark the moment with a meal to remember. 

Also it's a new area for me and I don't know what take out is good. I'm brave but only want good memories made here. 

I wish you the best on your transatlantic cruise. Take lots of notes for us when you aren't having too much fun! 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

I wish you would stop posting and I mean that in a GOOD way! I read all your dinner menus and I want to come to your house!

Aww I'd fed you if you lived nearby! At the very least I'd ask you to pop over for cake and a cup of tea!

Haha I am one of those people who randomly volunteers to feed people! 

Am doing all the catering for the bestie's baby shower this weekend!!!!! Soooo excited!!!!!!!

• Love 1

Today I made 2 lasagnas. One with spinach, one traditional. I'll serve it with salad. My son in law dislikes my cooking {because I've traveled so much (I can cook many foreign cuisines) and don't make standard Southern cuisine} so let's hope that they get eaten. Also to note that the spinach one was loaf sized for my brother as his wife is going to be traveling and I don't want him to starve (ah, I love him...who am I kidding lol). 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Yes definitely! I usually make about 100 in one sitting and freeze them for a rainy day! Or a soupy day in this case! 

Awesome. I make my own too and freeze (if my friends don't gobble them down or beg for doggie bags). You rock woman!! 

• Love 1

Church's fried chicken.  That's all.  No bread, veggies,  or dessert.  Just chicken.  (I had an after-work board meeting in a building that is right next to a Church's chicken place, it smelled good as I left the meeting so that's what I got.) 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

Church's fried chicken.  That's all.  No bread, veggies,  or dessert.  Just chicken.  (I had an after-work board meeting in a building that is right next to a Church's chicken place, it smelled good as I left the meeting so that's what I got.) 

They also do Popeyes chicken (spicy version) which I ate on vacation in New Orleans. Quick, easy and good. 

• Love 1

There's a Popeye's Chicken right across the street from the Church's, but I didn't think about going there.  I tried Church's spicy version once and it was really, really spicy.  I don't know if it was like that all the time (most of the time when I would ask for spicy they would be out) or if someone had a heavy hand with the cayenne when they were mixing up the flour for breading.  But I do know that the chicken was spicy and so juicy that when I bit into the first piece I managed to mace myself in the eye with hot chicken juice.  (Other than that it wasn't too bad--although spicy hot).  Popeye's is pretty good.  Tonight's chicken was just right (for fast food chicken, that is). 

• Love 1

I'm doing a seated happy dance as I type:  I've had a busy couple of weeks so I never got around to making plans for the long weekend. I did my usual weekly shop this morning and really hit the jackpot:  half-price stew meat, a marked-down package of biscuits and heavy cream at fifty cents a carton.  Beef stew, hot biscuits and homemade ice cream, here I come!  It's not exactly summer barbecue food but we're not having summer barbecue weather anyway.

(I also got a half-price box of bakery muffins so breakfast is a win as well!)

• Love 4

I wanted to cook a pot roast in the slow cooker, but decided I'd better stick to my diet, so I have enough calories left to have a pork chop baked in the oven with some BBQ sauce and a big green salad.  I plan to watch a movie later, so I'll see if I have enough calories left for some popcorn.  (I did have a little twinge of regret, though, when I walked in the house after working in the yard for most of the day and the house didn't have that nice oniony pot roast smell!)

• Love 1