Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Chicken pot pie. But I got lazy and used frozen biscuits instead of crust. It turned out surprisingly well! And now I have a new go to that makes chicken pot pie a reasonable weeknight dinner! 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

Lol 8 shrimp makes 4 servings.  Not in the mansonlamps universe, no matter how large.  Sounds good otherwise.

Oh, I don't pay attention to the shrimp count. I cooked a pound for myself and it's shaping up to be 3 meals 

Roasted purple and orange cauliflower seasoned with salt and smoked paprika, boneless skinless grilled chicken breast with jerk seasoning, green salad and some leftover potato salad. 

I'm trying a new (to me) cooking method called sheet pan suppers.  So, sheet pan roast chicken and cabbage, basically chicken thighs in a sesame soy dressing roasted on a sheet pan with thin wedges of cabbage.  Except I'm using Brussels sprouts because that's what I have.  Smells awesome.

• Love 2

I have some bacon I must use soon, so tonight is BLT's.  Sadly where I live, heirloom tomatoes are not to be found this time of the year.  I'll make do with the tomatoes that were available at my local market.

Half cooking dinner tonight (because I'm lazy and exhausted from a VERY intensive barre session).  I'll be making roast salmon with tomatoes and serving it with Detox Salad and steamed kale I got from Whole Foods' salad bar. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Egg and cheese on toast. It's the first solid food I've eaten since last Tuesday, when the flu rendered me unable to eat anything other than one jello cup a day. 

Hoping you get well soon.  I love eggs, cheese. & toast.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ariel said:

We're having a Groupon Pizza. It is from a coal burning oven place.  Hopefully is it good. 

We had a frozen pizza from our local Price Chopper supermarket and it was actually really good.

The spring fridge & pantry purge continues: the last of the deep dish pizza I made using the last of the pepperoni and bacon plus another container from the freezer of peppers and onions.

A freezer purge is both fun and not fun:  I'm challenging myself to stay out of the grocery store which saves me money and to make meals out of last ditch ingredients which is interesting but I can't say I've had a real "yippee!" moment lately when it's time to eat.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, forumfish said:

I shouldn't use those packets as much as I do, they have more sodium than we need, but they are so convenient as recipe starters.

I use some rice-a-roni type dishes - maybe by Zatarain's?  I'll add some long grained rice to it to mute the intense sodium taste. 

I'm making salmon fillets Asian style (which means adding a little bit of sesame oil to the reg oil when cooking and some seasonings); angel hair w/ peanut sauce, and those green beans in a bag (the ones sold in the produce dept) that you nuke for a few minutes.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Qoass said:

The purge continues:  probably oatmeal with some applesauce that needs to go stirred in.

You inspired me to go freezer diving. Found some meatballs in sauce and butternut squash soup that will be consumed soon. 

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, ariel said:

Tonight we're having  pierogis, savory ones for dinner, sweet ones for dessert.

A double header!  Nice!

3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Jumbo lump crab cakes from our local fishmonger who uses fresh Maryland crab meat

Yummmmmmm...I would just have that - forget the fries and cole slaw!

I've got the fillings for eggrolls done, although the eggrolls themselves probably won't happen until tomorrow.  So foraging in the fridge is probably in my future.

Edited by DeLurker
ETA: After reading what other people were having it occurred to me I probably should start figuring out something myself.
  • Love 2

Served the previously mentioned meatballs for lunch on nice soft rolls. (I had leftover chicken.) Pork is on the smoker for dinner. 

Im actually right now at Gertrude and Hawk loading up for the Easter baskets. Mmm... chocolate 

• Love 2

Oh woe is me--Easter candy in the basket on the sideboard.  I bought Ghirardelli chocolate eggs w/ almonds & now can't stay away from them.  Tonight I don't have to cook as we're going to the clubhouse for some type of spaghetti dinner.  It's fun to be with neighbors, have some wine & let someone else do the cooking.

• Love 1

Linguini & white clam sauce, simple green side salad, & crusty French bread.  A little sorbet for dessert.  A glass or two of wine will be consumed.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 3

Tonight is baked scallops with a side of leftover rice from last night's arroz con pollo. We'll be recycling that rice a few times - for some reason the hub made a big batch of it. 

Ground beef soft tacos, Trader Joe's frozen roasted corn, and tortilla chips and Trader Joe's fresh salsa. I also made lemon curd cheesecake squares. 

ETA - cheesecake squares weren't great. The cheesecake part was a bit grainy. I think I over baked them.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 1

I ate at a Chinese restaurant recently that had the best hot and sour soup I've ever tasted. It's not close enough for regularly getting take out, but I was at a meeting this afternoon that took me by there. I stopped on the way home and got hot and sour soup and Kung Pao chicken for me, egg drop soup and shrimp in lobster sauce for my husband.

• Love 2

The purge continues but today I'm not too happy about it:  lunch is some sausage and lentil soup out of the freezer while dinner is some ham and bean soup out of the refrigerator.  Now, I'm having crackers with lunch and muffins with dinner so it's totally different.  Except it's really not...

• Love 1