Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I made a fish fajita bowl - first time making a fajita bowl with fish (I make plenty of fajita bowls).  Bell pepper, onion, serrano pepper, artichoke hearts, salt, pepper, cumin, cayenne pepper, olive oil, rice, Cholula sauce.  The fish had been thawed for a couple of days, so I needed to cook it, plus I have lots of left-over rice from Chinese take-out.

• Love 4

Grilled pork tenderloin and some yellow rice and green salad yesterday. Dramatic turn to cold weather today has me in a winter food mood. No commitment to anything yet. May remake the vegetable chili my family (other than the boy) liked. 

ETA:  I made some fun cheese/cured meats/crackers/fruit plates for lunches and then because a girl I've been talking to told me that she was going to hibachi for dinner with an old friend on Saturday night, I decided to claim that my kids were taking me out to dinner for my birthday later this week and we went to hibachi. I am proud to say I caught the flying square of squash in my mouth on the second try. 

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 2

We went to an annual GumboFest supporting out local shelter for the chronically homeless people this afternoon. Eight different organizations/restaurants competed. Lots of good gumbo. It was held at the DoubleTree hotel. They were handing out their cookies to everyone who attended. We stopped at the grocery store on the way home to get salads for dinner. Instead we had cheese and crackers washed down with a glass of Chardonnay, followed by the DoubleTree cookie. Good times!

• Love 5

I won a dinner for two with a private chef (who was on Beat Bobby Flay, to make this TV-appropriate) recently and my husband and I had a delicious three course meal consisting of mozzarella and roasted tomato salad with babaganouj (pureed eggplant dip), beef wellington and a roasted fruit with Greek froyo.  That was Friday.  He made A LOT of babaganouj, so we finished the rest Sunday night (as we went to a friend's house for dinner on Saturday).  Tonight?  Well, after weekend food fest, more or less, we're doing zucchini and carrot "noodles" with tofu. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, PRgal said:

I won a dinner for two with a private chef (who was on Beat Bobby Flay, to make this TV-appropriate) recently and my husband and I had a delicious three course meal consisting of mozzarella and roasted tomato salad with babaganouj (pureed eggplant dip), beef wellington and a roasted fruit with Greek froyo.  That was Friday.  He made A LOT of babaganouj, so we finished the rest Sunday night (as we went to a friend's house for dinner on Saturday).  Tonight?  Well, after weekend food fest, more or less, we're doing zucchini and carrot "noodles" with tofu. 

That sounds delicious, but I didn't know beef Wellington was even a "thing" any more.  I love those throwback dinners.

• Love 1

Technically I made this slow cooker quinoa for breakfast and not dinner, but I liked it a lot! I made a change to this recipe to lighten it up, cutting the water down by a cup and replacing the full fat coconut milk with a cup of low fat milk.  

Dressed it up with a small shot of maple syrup and topped it the banana and strawberries that are my typical breakfast anyway.  Definitely something I will probably do again after I consume the rest of this batch.

Roasted skin on/bone on chicken breasts with Herbes de Provence (which makes your kitchen smell heavenly), Hasselback potatoes (and no,  Ree Drummond did not invent this recipe, it's been around forever), and fresh green beans sautéed  with shallots. No desserts.  We have had too many lately & need to cut back.  ;)

• Love 3

Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches plus the last piece of chocolate cheesecake leftover from my Oscar party.

I am also reading the user manual for my new Instapot thinking of all the things I can make in it!

• Love 3

My doggy bag from the movies the other night:  half a steak sandwich and sure-to-be soggy french fries.  That's okay because for me, there's no such thing as an inedible french fry.

• Love 2

I splurged and got five boxes of GS cookies this year--two of the peanut butter ones (Tagalongs?) and three Thin Mints.  I usually freeze them and try to parcel them out for a long time.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Qoass said:

Thanks for the fry tip, @forumfish.  It crisped the fries up nicely although cleaning the rack was a bit of effort afterwards.

I wonder if soaking the rack in a sink of water w/ dishwasher powdered detergent might help?  That's what I do with difficult to clean pots and casserole dishes and it really makes it easier to get the stuff off.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yeah, I did that but it's hard to maneuver around the wires of the rack thoroughly.

Topic?  Liverwurst on a bagel with mustard.  Can't wait.

Edited by Qoass

Rotisserie chicken, Stove Top stuffing (w/ minced celery & leaves), Bob Evans mashed potatoes, and steamed thin fresh asparagus w/ homemade Russian dressing drizzled over them. It was a fast dinner because we were off to The Barns at Wolf Trap for a quartet concert. Great talent & easy to get to :>)

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 2:57 PM, forumfish said:

I like to reheat mine on a wire cooling rack in the oven. Sure, it takes a while to place the fries on there where they don't fall between the wires, but they crisp up real nice. Works great for onion rings, too. Especially the ones from Cheddars.

We had some leftover fish & chips from dining out.  Usually when I re-heat them in the oven, they still come out some what soggy.  I used your method with the wire cooling rack to heat them up & they came out perfect. Thanks for a great cooking tip. 

Lazy girl crab casserole

• Prepare one packet of Knorr Parmesan Noodles and Sauce per recipe
  • Turn oven to 400
  • Cool noodles for 3 minutes
  • Dump in a can of crab meat
  • Add cheddar cheese until the amount looks acceptable to you
  • Stir
  • Add a medium-thin layer of Parmesan cheese on top
  • Cover with bread crumbs
  • Cook in over until the bread crumbs are browned

Pour into a casserole dish that's been sprayed with non-stick spray

• Love 1
11 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Lazy girl crab casserole

• Turn oven to 400
  • Stir

Please write a cookbook; I will buy it.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Lazy girl crab casserole

• Turn oven to 400
  • Stir

Watch out, the Pioneer Women is going to steal that recipe & call it her own.   ;)

It does sound very tasty.  PW would find a way to "F"  it up.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ariel said:

Watch out, the Pioneer Women is going to steal that recipe & call it her own.   ;)

It does sound very tasty.  PW would find a way to "F"  it up.

Hot sauce, an extra stick of butter, garlic powder, maybe some chocolate sprinkles?

• Love 3

She is ridiculously popular, and in a rare case for me, I don't understand why.  I mean, there have been lots and lots of popular food TV people who make things that don't appeal to me, but that didn't mean I didn't understand why they wouldn't appeal to somebody else.  And there have been plenty of food TV people who might not make things I would eat, but I did find them entertaining for one reason or another.

But I can't seem to latch on to either the personality or the style of food. It's all just so unhealthy.

• Love 4

Tonight is the dreaded running around picking up one child, rushing home to feed them both and turn around to take the other one out to her thing night.

So for the girl, reheated home made mac and cheese.  For me, salad and probably some cold cuts on a wrap with roasted red peppers.  For the boy, hard to say. He doesn't like mac and cheese (which, I'm going allow that, but he's off his rocker.)  I think I can fry up a chicken sausage and microwave a bag of some sort of flavored rice for him. Birdseye makes a pretty good Asian blend that he likes.  He's been wolfing down a big pile of grapes when he comes home from school lately, so he's usually not so hungry that I need to make anything impressive during the week.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Good for him :>)

I know, right? And my daughter claims that she is allergic to baked goods that contain apples and cinnamon.  Again, if she wants to not have a slice of apple pie, it's not one of the things I'm going to insist she try.  

Grapes, they can't pull that shit on me. Eat the freaking grapes. But cheesy pasta and apple pastry? I wish I could so easily look at those two items, and say no.

• Love 1

Just got done making my dinner (and lunch for the next few days) - seafood chowder - Alaskan Cod (cause that is what I had), shrimp, can o'clams, can o'corn, potatoes, lots of onion...haven't tasted it yet.  I get frustrated because I can't achieve the certain taste that defines seafood chowder to me - my parents always made it with whatever was handy, but always achieved that je ne sais quoi.  I also can only make it in large batches because my efforts to make smaller batches have been highly dissatisfying.  But since I don't mind eating it over and over, not the worst thing ever.

Will need to figure out what to make the kids.  They have limited seafood intake - they'll both eat halibut, my son will also eat tuna sandwiches, an occasional fried shrimp and fried calamari.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DeLurker said:

Just got done making my dinner (and lunch for the next few days) - seafood chowder - Alaskan Cod (cause that is what I had), shrimp, can o'clams, can o'corn, potatoes, lots of onion...haven't tasted it yet.  I get frustrated because I can't achieve the certain taste that defines seafood chowder to me - my parents always made it with whatever was handy, but always achieved that je ne sais quoi.  I also can only make it in large batches because my efforts to make smaller batches have been highly dissatisfying.  But since I don't mind eating it over and over, not the worst thing ever.

Will need to figure out what to make the kids.  They have limited seafood intake - they'll both eat halibut, my son will also eat tuna sandwiches, an occasional fried shrimp and fried calamari.

Have you tried using clam juice as part of the liquid in your soup?

• Love 2

Made Ina's herbed roast fish using tilapia fillets, tiny white creamer potatoes boiled/sliced with butter & parsley, and those nice green beans that you microwave in a bag.  I put them in a bowl with some of Wegman's herbed butter.  Wegman's sells the tilapia (and also salmon) individually wrapped.  Love 'em cause they thaw so easily/quickly.  I had a no-sugar-added Klondike bar for dessert ;>)

I was craving buttered egg noodles but for some reason my boyfriend doesn't think this constitutes a meal so I decided to make beef stroganoff to top them off and a green salad. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I was craving buttered egg noodles but for some reason my boyfriend doesn't think this constitutes a meal so I decided to make beef stroganoff to top them off and a green salad. 

I have to disagree with your boyfriend, but that doesn't mean I'd turn down beef stroganoff. 

• Love 1

I've had many a 'buttered noodle' or 'bowl of rice with butter' dinner in my life, but those days are forbidden now (except on very rare occasions).  Tonight was 'mock stir fry' (aka 'the dog's dinner' because of how it looks).  Brown rice, grilled chicken filet and broccoli florets (all microwaved separately), mixed with some sauteed onion (nice and soft and browned) with a drizzle of stir fry sauce to flavor it up.  

18 hours ago, ariel said:

Tonight - Sabrette hotdogs on buns, baked beans, sherbet for dessert.  I may get wild & crazy & heat up some sauerkraut from the deli.

Love Sabrette hot dogs (made in The Bronx!) and I always get B&M baked beans in that little brown glass jar.  IMO, they're the best.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, annzeepark914 said:

Love Sabrette hot dogs (made in The Bronx!) and I always get B&M baked beans in that little brown glass jar.  IMO, they're the best.

I try to keep some Sarettes around in my frig (with the snappy natural casing).  They make a nice quick meal with B&M baked beans.

• Love 1

The last of the orange chicken I made this week over rice.  The recipe serves four but I'm terrible at portioning things out so I have too much for one meal and too little for two.  Big eats tonight!

• Love 1

A splurge - tried jumbo lump crab cakes from our local seafood purveyor - pricey at $14.99 a piece, but boy howdy were they good, They lived up to their name - all jumbo lump, plus knowing it's local fresh Maryland crab makes it worth it. I might be doing it for a monthly treat.

• Love 5