Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I had dinner at a local restaurant tonight.  I got the fried catfish filets over Gouda cheese grits (and a side Caesar salad).  It was really good, but I brought half of the fish and grits home for dinner tomorrow. 

• Like 2

I had a burger king chicken sandwich, with fries. I got slightly ill, but I needed something. I was in pain after KFC, a week ago. 

I'm making more vegan kimchi, once my red pepper flakes arrive. 

• Like 1

Grits (with a little butter and salt) for breakfast, green salad for lunch and am now getting something together for dinner.  I picked up a rotisserie chicken a couple of days ago and ended up not even opening up the container (decided on something else for dinner that night). I was going to heat it up for dinner tonight, but after a long hot trip to the grocery store I decided to save it for tomorrow night.  Tonight it's a pimento cheese sandwich, some Fritos, and some cinnamon sugar pretzel bites for dessert. (and a huge glass of ice water)

• Like 1
(edited)

I made the chicken and rice soup from pinch of yum, because I had the ingredients (bought when I thought there was only going to be one 90+ degree day). It was 92 degrees out, but we had a storm come through, and cooled things to 79 for a while. 

even though I only added half the amount of rice, it still almost absorbed everything.  There was some broth left. The chicken never cooks through for me, in the time she says it should, so I was adding water to it, as the shallots started to burn.  When I tasted the soup, after adding chicken back in, and letting it cook for a while, it tasted so good.  I chose not to add the splash of tamari, this time, and I add the bit of lime juice individually, instead of to the whole pan.  

I also made the kimchi last night.  Depending on how fast I eat this one, I might double it next time.  All of that cabbage wilted down to the size of one plastic tub.  Three quart jars, in March.  I was so tired last night, I just put it in the tub.  I got the proper recommended red pepper flakes, so I’m hoping it won’t burn my mouth, although I like spicy.  

Edited by Anela
  • Like 1

Ina's recipe for Herbed Roasted Fish. I used tilapia and since it's so hot, used the countertop oven. Also some peas, and leftover mashed potatoes. Watermelon for dessert. Is autumn not too far off? I can't even keep plants on the deck right now 🥵 

• Like 1

I made potato salad with the small potatoes that came with my CSA basket. We'll have that with the BOGO salmon cakes from The Fresh Market and steamed asparagus for dinner tonight.

• Like 3

I had the chicken and rice soup, this morning.  Also made jacket potatoes for lunch.  I didn’t sleep much last night, so just sort of took a nap, and need to finish making more kimchi.  I was rinsing the cabbage when dad came home, and took over in the kitchen.  I’ve been feeling really heavy emotionally, and probably should have waited.  

• Hugs 2

I saw an ATK episode where they made a Mediterranean shrimp sheet pan dinner. Roast potatoes and fennel, at the end top with shrimp tossed with olive oil, oregano, and lemon zest. I had potatoes and fennel from my CSA basket, so I got shrimp and made it for dinner last night. So easy and tasty. Fennel really is sweet when cooked.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I saw an ATK episode where they made a Mediterranean shrimp sheet pan dinner. Roast potatoes and fennel, at the end top with shrimp tossed with olive oil, oregano, and lemon zest. I had potatoes and fennel from my CSA basket, so I got shrimp and made it for dinner last night. So easy and tasty. Fennel really is sweet when cooked.

Since you live closer to the Atlantic, can you get really fresh shrimp that have no stinky fish odor and still have that wonderful sweet shrimp flavor? The only shrimp I can get like this these days is in a bag of frozen, cooked shrimp at Wegmans. I have tossed a lot of shrimp that I cooked that were inedible due to whatever they're doing between the ocean & the store (or the farm-raised variety). It seems the only great tasting shrimp are the ones we eat in good restaurants. 

• Sad 1

Our local fish monger and Whole Foods carry shrimp caught in the Gulf. The Fresh Market has good shrimp too. I don't buy shrimp from Safeway or Giant. The body of water we live near is the Chesapeake Bay, not known for shrimping. 😉

• Thanks 1

I haven't decided on the main dish yet (something with the one bone-in chicken breast currently sitting in my fridge), but the salad will be arugula with lemon vinaigrette as I have just enough of each left for one salad, and the side dish will be something I love but for some reason realized I have not made in a while -- sauteed artichokes, asparagus, mushroom, scallions, and zucchini, simmered in vegetable stock and white wine, topped with parsley and a light dusting of grated Parm.

We just had grilled TJ's turkey burgers on toasted brioche rolls with aioli and slivered red onions. They were very good! I was concerned that instructions say to put frozen turkey burgers on the grill as I was concerned that I couldn't "doctor" them with seasonings. No problem. They were delicious.

I may start mooing.  I don't eat a lot of beef -- I only like ground beef as a cheeseburger, and the only cuts I really like are rib-eye and tri-tip (I'll eat filet mignon/beef tenderloin if served, no problem, but I'd never choose to make it).  Last week, my local market had a good sale on bone-in (the only way to eat them, IMO) rib-eye steaks and had one that was the perfect size for me to grill, eat 2/3 of, and then later make something with the leftover third (often they are enormous, and I don't want that much leftover meat to deal with).  So I grilled that late last week, am going to make tacos with the leftovers tonight, and then tomorrow I'll be having a cheeseburger at my parents' house.  (For the 4th of July, if they are home my dad grills burgers and my mom makes onion rings.)  He always grills two extras, as we share a strange love for cold patties (just the meat and cheese) as a leftover lunch, so that will be four beef meals in just over week.

I can easily eat four or more chicken meals in any given week and I don't start clucking, so no actual mooing will ensue, but I perhaps should have timed the steak thing a little better knowing the 4th would be in the midst of all that.  Thankfully, I'm one of those people who can eat as much fat as she wants without digestive issues despite not having a gallbladder anymore.

The salad to go with tonight's tacos (which are simple, with just the meat, scallions, cheddar, and guacamole) will be romaine, watercress, and jicama with lime-cilantro dressing.

• Like 5

I had Chef Boyardee. Spaghetti and meatballs. The meatballs are terrible. I did make tofu breakfast burritos, and orzo pilaf, but I'm not enjoying either of them. I'm also not enjoying cheese rolls, with lettuce and cucumber, or anything else. I might try one soon, with tomato, but the rolls are all wrong. I grabbed them, just because, the other night.

I wouldn't mind a smoothie, but I can't run the blender now. 

I don't usually bake (because I'm not especially talented as a baker and there is just me at my house, so having high carb baked goods around is kinda wasteful) but since my son is visiting and a friend came for 4th of July dinner, I made a fresh peach cobbler from a NY Times recipe and served it warm with vanilla ice cream. God it was good!!! And not too difficult either. We had salad, baby back ribs and corn muffins as the main course and two bottles of pinot noir between the three of us. Completely amazed that I feel just fine today....back off the wine tomorrow when the son flies away home. 😸

• Love 3

Last night I made a Blue Apron "pan pizza" - garlic bechamel sauce with fresh mozzarella. goat cheese, mushrooms and parmesan cheese. It came with pizza dough to partially bake in a supplied aluminum pan (recyclable) before adding the toppings. The baked dough was delicious and the toppings tasty. It turned out better than I expected. I chose it because it was easy to make and seemed like it would be good. We were not disappointed.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

@Bastet how many quarts of oil does your mother use for onion rings?  I am sincerely curious about this. Referencing my recent post on the ATK thread. 

Two, I believe -- assuming each bottle is 1 qt.  But it may not be two full bottles, I will have to ask.  It's already in the fryer when I get there, and, while I know when I help her pour it from the fryer back into the bottles (it gets reused multiple times) there are two bottles, my dad was the one who did it this time, and I cannot for the life of me go into my memory and visualize how full the second bottle is.

• Applause 1
(edited)
41 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Two, I believe -- assuming each bottle is 1 qt.  But it may not be two full bottles, I will have to ask.  It's already in the fryer when I get there, and, while I know when I help her pour it from the fryer back into the bottles (it gets reused multiple times) there are two bottles, my dad was the one who did it this time, and I cannot for the life of me go into my memory and visualize how full the second bottle is.

Great, at least you are reusing, which ATK didn't mention.  Now I want onion rings!

4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Last night I made a Blue Apron "pan pizza" - garlic bechamel sauce with fresh mozzarella. goat cheese, mushrooms and parmesan cheese. It came with pizza dough to partially bake in a supplied aluminum pan (recyclable) before adding the toppings. The baked dough was delicious and the toppings tasty. It turned out better than I expected. I chose it because it was easy to make and seemed like it would be good. We were not disappointed.

This sounds good!  There is nothing that cannot be improved with the addition of bechamel sauce.  I love lasagne or pastitsio with a puffy topping of bechamel with eggs and cheese mixed in. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
54 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

at least you are reusing, which ATK didn't mention. 

I was looking at an ATK onion ring recipe at their web site. The recipe called for 2 qts of oil, pour into large pot until the oil is 2" high. In the comments, someone asked if you could reuse the oil. ATK replied yes and gave a link on how to do it safely.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/articles/1662-kitchen-smarts-the-easiest-way-to-clean-and-reuse-frying-oil

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Great, at least you are reusing,

Oh gods, yes, many times!  (You just need to strain well, and store it in the refrigerator.)  To toss it after one use would be a gross waste - of both oil and money.

57 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Now I want to try an air flyer recipe for onion rings.  There are plenty to choose from.  I am going to try this tomorrow. 

I am not a fan; I think some things need to be fried, not convection ovened, and onion rings are among them.  (They're not bad, they're just not proper onion rings so they're disappointing and I'd rather have the real thing just not as often.)  But, obviously, that's just me, and it may well turn out good enough to satisfy your craving. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oh gods, yes, many times!  (You just need to strain well, and store it in the refrigerator.)  To toss it after one use would be a gross waste - of both oil and money.

I am not a fan; I think some things need to be fried, not convection ovened, and onion rings are among them.  (They're not bad, they're just not proper onion rings so they're disappointing and I'd rather have the real thing just not as often.)  But, obviously, that's just me, and it may well turn out good enough to satisfy your craving. 

I know, from looking at the pictures, they don't look that great.  But it's worth the sacrifice of an onion to test it out.  I have a toaster/convection oven/broiler with the air fryer setting built in.  I have never even tried the air fryer setting. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie

I happened across Stanley Tucci's recipe for Crab Stuffed Cheddar Bay Biscuits with Lemon Butter.  I made them with creamy garlic shrimp over angel hair.  Had that on our deck last evening with some lovely white wine.  It was a great meal.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

My son and my husband had Chinese takeout - beef chow mein and vegetable dumplings for lunch.  I think this restaurant is one of the only places that separates the beef/vegetables and noodles.  Most pack it mixed up.  Unfortunately, my son didn't like the noodles too much - he thought it was too dry/crunchy!  

And what did I have?  I ordered food from ANOTHER restaurant (scrambled eggs, black bean mole, guacamole, salsa fresca and spinach)!  In case you're wondering, yes, I had some of the noodles too.  But not beef.  I really only eat "land meat" at dinner.

beefchowmein.jpg

impactbuildyourown.jpg

• Like 2

We were out & about yesterday, were hungry & stopped at Famous Dave's (hadn't been there in years). I got the chopped pork sandwich & creamy cole slaw.  It was delicious. 

• Like 3
On 7/21/2024 at 5:13 PM, PRgal said:

I think this restaurant is one of the only places that separates the beef/vegetables and noodles. 

That's a new one for me, too, as I've never had it served or packaged separately.  It sounds like your son might have liked the texture of the noodles more had they been sitting in the sauce the whole time.

I was not at all in the mood to cook last night, so ordered in: shirazi salad and kabobs - one beef barg, one chicken koobideh, and one lamb shish - with roasted vegetables. 

Tonight, shrimp tacos of some sort.  I think I have a mango left, so if I do it will be shrimp tacos with mango and avocado slaw.  The salad will be nopales based, as I have just enough left for one side salad, but I'll figure out the rest later.

• Like 2

I'm using up veggies from my CSA baskets. I made potato salad (for the third time this season) and a big pot of ratatouille.  Good thing we have two refrigerators. 

Last Saturday's basket was slim pickings. The farm is starting to struggle with our heat and drought. They have plenty of cabbage, but I'm not a fan, so haven't requested any.

6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The farm is starting to struggle with our heat and drought.

Ugh, yes, here too.  My parents' tomato plants are going strong, but the various squash and pepper plants are starting to struggle, as is the artichoke. 

My mom is recuperating from surgery, so I've been doing their cooking again.  I killed off the leftover beef and broccoli for lunch.  I'm not a huge beef fan, but that's an iron-rich dish (which she needed post-op) and I really like the sauce, so I made a big batch and kept a couple of servings for myself.

I'm not sure about dinner yet -- I have one last piece of baked sesame chicken with sage butter that's the oldest leftover in the refrigerator, but it's not speaking to me (of course, the newest item, baked garlic and parmesan chicken, is what sounds best).  I'll have to do the sniff and touch test to see if I think the sesame chicken can wait until tomorrow. 

There's also some spicy chicken and mushroom dish and some pesto chicken pasta salad.  I had to make that with white pasta, as my mom doesn't like whole wheat, so it's not my preferred taste or texture, but it's still good.  More of a lunch, though.

• Like 2

On Saturday I cooked the best pot of beans ever!! And they were the large dark kidney beans which I actually hate… until now. 

• One package of smoked turkey necks, rinsed
  • Half onion, chopped 
  • 3 cloves smashed garlic
  • Bell pepper, chopped 
  • Quarter cup oil
  • One quarter teaspoon baking soda
  • 8 cups water
  • Lawry’s seasoning salt to taste
  • Black pepper

Boil all of above for about an hour or so.

in meantime, soak a whole package of the kidney beans in hot water while necks are boiling. Then remove water, rinse beans, then add to pot of beans.  To make beans have rhicker broth, make a dark roux and add to pot. I usually save pan dripping from fried chicken for this step. You can also adjust seasoning and water at this time.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

I now cook beans in the electric pressure cooker.  Even if plain with nothing added but salt, they are delicious.  I made some white beans the other day and added them to a store bought corn/tomato salad. 

• Useful 2

I'm counting calories and trying to stay within a certain range, but i had a craving for Chinese food today.  So, I didn't eat too much for lunch so I could have some extra calories for dinner.  I baked a couple of chicken tenders in the oven (breaded), and cut them into chunks and put on top of a little rice along with an onion I sliced and cooked in a tiny bit of oil in a pan until soft and starting to brown.  I then drizzled a little General Tso's sauce (Iron Kitchen brand maybe?) on top and mixed it all together.  It was very tasty and just what I needed to get rid of that craving for a while.  I also make a version that's lower in calories by using grilled chicken strips, but I wanted that extra crunch of the coated tenders.  

• Like 2

Chicken a la king is on tonight's menu.  Not my jam, but I'm still cooking for my parents, and I'd rather reserve a serving of something I find just okay (or, if I'm channeling Eleanor from The Good Place -- "Ya basic") rather than cooking something else.  I also reserved a serving of an asparagus and peas dish I made for them; I'm not a huge fan of peas, but these are garden fresh (via a friend's garden), I love asparagus, and there's a sauce with white wine, onions, and garlic, so I'm happy with it.  Basically, other than my side salad (mixed greens with avocado and tomato, dressed with lemon vinaigrette), I'll be eating things I wouldn't normally make.

• Like 1

Since my husband is still isolating (yeah, we have to eat in different rooms, which really sucks) and I just didn't feel like going out, we ordered in.  I had a kale and quinoa salad with two poached eggs for lunch and for dinner, I made salad with chicken.  I do a "Sunday salad" every week.  The guys had pasta.  

• Like 1

I made Creme Senegalese Soup. It was good but I nicked my left index finger on my new chef's knife (some reviewer at Amazon called this knife a "bad boy"). Bad boy, indeed. I put a big bandaid on the cut & it stopped bleeding. I'm a good healer fortunately 😁.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2