Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I made another batch of pesto recently and have some I need to use up, but am not in the mood for pasta tonight.  I saw ALenore's post about pizza, and decided that sounded good (that's why I love this thread.)  So I'm making flatbread pizza out of wheat lavash (something I pretty much always have on hand, and thus use it for many breads/crusts) and topping with pesto, goat cheese, chicken, and sun-dried tomatoes. 

• Love 4

I'm not having this tonight, had it last week, but wanted to share.

At Costco, they have frozen stuffed shells. You get a large bag and can use however many you want. I made my own sauce and covered with metric ton of mozz. This. Was. Good.

It baked over an hour so you can't make them on the fly, but I don't think I'll make them homemade again bc they were great.

Apologies to anyone I offended with the above post, I know it's semi-ho, but I'm telling ya, they are damn good.

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 3

I'm a week and a half into getting back on the Weight Watchers wagon, (hey, it only took me six years to gradually fall off it but enough is enough) and have been making my way through some of their recipes.  I made something they called Italian Turkey Burgers last night.  Turkey burgers are a regular item in the Macc family rotation anyway, but I haven't messed around with doctoring them up in while.

This one had me mixing in some chopped onion (I should have grated it, but the small dice was fine), a little minced garlic, salt, pepper, and 2 tsp of fennel seeds. I thought they were pretty good, and the kids like them.  I was supposed to serve them with a slice of tomato and some basil, but it's January here in NY so I passed. Overall, not bad.  

This morning one child asked me what was in the cabinet over the fridge. I told him that's where I keep the baking stuff like the pans for cakes, banana bread, and the little meatloaves we make.  Other child chimed in with, "I want meatloaf!" which was fully supported by first child.

So it looks like mini-meatloaves this weekend. I've go no problem with that.  They'll probably be turkey, which if done right, will be fine. 

• Love 2

I'm a week and a half into getting back on the Weight Watchers wagon, (hey, it only took me six years to gradually fall off it but enough is enough) and have been making my way through some of their recipes.  I made something they called Italian Turkey Burgers last night.  Turkey burgers are a regular item in the Macc family rotation anyway, but I haven't messed around with doctoring them up in while.

This one had me mixing in some chopped onion (I should have grated it, but the small dice was fine), a little minced garlic, salt, pepper, and 2 tsp of fennel seeds. I thought they were pretty good, and the kids like them.  I was supposed to serve them with a slice of tomato and some basil, but it's January here in NY so I passed. Overall, not bad.  

This morning one child asked me what was in the cabinet over the fridge. I told him that's where I keep the baking stuff like the pans for cakes, banana bread, and the little meatloaves we make.  Other child chimed in with, "I want meatloaf!" which was fully supported by first child.

So it looks like mini-meatloaves this weekend. I've go no problem with that.  They'll probablybe turkey, which if done right, will be fine. 

What do you think of the SmartPoints program? I went back Dec 2013, and have been on maintenance for about a year. I really liked PointsPlus, and am sticking to  that right now as it worked so well for me. I'm only weighing in once a month, and do miss the handouts with the recipes every week. One keeper I found early on is  a stir-fry with sauteed shrimp (I roast it instead ala Ina Garten and add at the end), zucchini, and grape tomatoes with oregano. My husband doesn't like the fresh grape tomatoes, so I add some canned diced fire roasted tomatoes. So easy and delicious. I serve it over brown rice.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1

What do you think of the SmartPoints program? I went back Dec 2013, and have been on maintenance for about a year. I really liked PointsPlus, and am sticking to  that right now as it worked so well for me. 

I noticed the points were different than it was the last time, but I'm just 10 days in, so I haven't had enough time with it yet to form any strong opinions.  I find that the big thing for me with WW is that it makes me focus on exactly what I need to do, which is monitoring exactly how much I'm eating. It also does a good job making me remember that fruit and vegetables need to be a bigger component of my meals when it's so easy to fall into the habit of just having a bunch of bread or rice instead.

• Love 1

I made Coconut Curry Chicken Soup last night, using up the leftover chicken from earlier in the week.  it had brown rice noodles, spinach, and snow peas in it.  I liked it a lot, and made enough that I can freeze some for future meals.  Next time I make it I think I'll add some more vegetables, like carrots and red bell pepper.    I froze the carcass of the chicken too, so I can use it to make chicken stock.    

• Love 2

Well, I made the California Pizza Kitchen's Sedona Tortilla soup and it was good.  I even deep fried skinny strips of corn tortilla as a garnish. The flavor was pretty close to the restaurant's version but the texture wasn't as smooth.  Maybe I needed a more powerful device to puree the soup??  But  it's nice to know I have this recipe in between trips to CPK (I love that soup!).  Snow continues to fall in metro DC...gulp!

• Love 2

Well, I made the California Pizza Kitchen's Sedona Tortilla soup and it was good.  I even deep fried skinny strips of corn tortilla as a garnish. The flavor was pretty close to the restaurant's version but the texture wasn't as smooth.  Maybe I needed a more powerful device to puree the soup??  But  it's nice to know I have this recipe in between trips to CPK (I love that soup!).  Snow continues to fall in metro DC...gulp!

And blizzard conditions aren't predicted to start until after 11 pm.    Where I am just south of Annapolis it's blowing 27 knots, gusts to 31. I already have 1/2" of snow inside my screen porch!

How did you puree the soup?

I took a pork tenderloin from the freezer.  Now I have no idea what to do with it.   ATK recommends brining for an hour, so I will do that while I run to the gym, but then I'm stymied. Any suggestions?

• Love 1

I took a pork tenderloin from the freezer.  Now I have no idea what to do with it.   ATK recommends brining for an hour, so I will do that while I run to the gym, but then I'm stymied. Any suggestions?

I loved this recipe: http://www.kitchenkonfidence.com/2015/02/porchetta-pork-tenderloin

And this has been on my to-make list: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11897-twice-cooked-pork-tenderloin

My go-to is mixing apricot preserves with Dijon mustard and some chopped rosemary. Roast for 20 minutes or so at 400.

And blizzard conditions aren't predicted to start until after 11 pm.    Where I am just south of Annapolis it's blowing 27 knots, gusts to 31. I already have 1/2" of snow inside my screen porch!

How did you puree the soup?

I have a Braun immersion blender and used that (I let the soup cool a bit so I wouldn't risk getting burned by splashes).  But I bet the restaurant has a much finer blender because the soup wasn't as smooth as CPK's but it was as tasty so I think the recipe is a keeper.  Thank goodness this blizzard is almost over.  We have over 2 feet of snow and the drifts are higher.

Ooh Quof, that looks great!

Something about snow makes me want to cook. Last night I made chicken pot pie with biscuit topping, prepped a baked French toast casserole (which we ate for breakfast) and put a dry rub on a rack of ribs. This morning I made potato salad and coleslaw to go with the ribs that are currently roasting low and slow in the oven. I also roasted all of the vegetables in my fridge that were looking a little worse for wear. Now I'm going to take a little nap!

• Love 3

Marge Gunderson, thanks for posting the Porchetta Pork Tenderloin  recipe; the hub is making it next week, I think. It looks fairly simple but with good flavors. Plus, as the hub pointed out, pork with more pork - what's not to like?  (Actually, all three pork tenderloin looked excellent.)

Tonight we're having calzones filled with broccoli and chorizo, with sauce made from what may be our last bag of frozen tomatoes from last year.   (sob)

• Love 2

I had pizza again last night - olive oil base, with mozzarella, rapini (broccoli rabe), Italian sausage, and black olives.

Tonight, I have no idea.  I'm defrosting some shrimp in case I'm in the mood to make something quick after football and the premiere episode of the X-Files revival (which I've seen at a screening, but want to watch again), but I may just order in Thai or Chinese food.

• Love 2

Marge Gunderson, thanks for posting the Porchetta Pork Tenderloin  recipe; the hub is making it next week, I think. It looks fairly simple but with good flavors. Plus, as the hub pointed out, pork with more pork - what's not to like?  (Actually, all three pork tenderloin looked excellent.)

Tonight we're having calzones filled with broccoli and chorizo, with sauce made from what may be our last bag of frozen tomatoes from last year.   (sob)

harrie, if you have leftovers of the porchetta tenderloin, I recommend porchetta sandwiches. I made them with ciabatta rolls, caramelized onions, and basil mayo, and served with rosemary oven-baked fries. So good!

• Love 4

Yesterday we had brunch at my brother's for my niece's bday - my SIL made blueberry-brie quesadilla which were insanely good.  Apparently, ridiculously easy to make but I suspect it might become a regular meal (any) in my house.

• Love 2

I'm making my vegetarian chili tonight (uses soy crumbles). My husband drove to Alabama on Wednesday (we live just south of Annapolis). He had planned to come home yesterday, but too much snow in the way. In addition to the 18" of snow on the driveway, there were snow drifts almost 4' high next to the garage doors. I put out a request on our homeowner's assn  FB page saying I wanted to hire someone to clear the driveway. Within an hour I had a young neighbor with a huge snowblower cleaning the driveway.

Bottom line, looking forward to my husband getting home and feeding him chili.

• Love 3

Last night I made beer-battered fish and chips using Alton Brown's recipe with cod I bought on sale at the supermarket.   I never deep fried fish before, and I was a little nervous.    I don't have a deep fat fryer, I just used my pressure cooker since it's a heavy pot and not too wide, I didn't want to have to use a lot of oil   My  deep fat/candy thermometer had a bubble in it, so I wasn't sure the oil was at the right temperature but it actually worked out fine.   I didn't fry potatoes though, just cut them in wedges and cooked them in the oven.   The fish came out great.   Even better, it still tasted good today when I had the leftovers for lunch.  i was afraid they'd be soggy, but they crisped right up again in the oven.    I probably won't make this recipe too often, since it makes a big mess, but I did enjoy it.   

• Love 2

Yesterday we had brunch at my brother's for my niece's bday - my SIL made blueberry-brie quesadilla which were insanely good.  Apparently, ridiculously easy to make but I suspect it might become a regular meal (any) in my house.

How did she make them?  What kind of cheese was used & what way were the blueberries used...preserves?

Ingredients

2 10 inch burrito tortillas
    ⅓lb brie cheese, room temp and divided
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    ¼ tsp cinnamon
    6 oz blueberries, divided
    3 tbsp walnuts, divided
    1 tbsp half and half
    ¼ C powdered sugar
    Cooking spray

Instructions

Mix together the cinnamon and sugar. Remove ¼ tsp from the mix and then divide the rest.
    Whisk together the powdered sugar, half and half and ¼ tsp cinnamon sugar mixture. Set aside.
    Heat a grill pan or a large skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray.
    Spread the brie cheese onto each quesadilla. Place one quesadilla on the heated grill pan or skillet. Top with half of the blueberries an walnuts. Sprinkle with half of the remaining cinnamon/sugar mixture. Fold over and press with a plate or pot lid. Flip over after about a minute and cook for another minute. Repeat this process for the second tortilla.
    Cut each quesadilla into quarters. Serve with the glaze.

My SIL forgot to put out the glaze, but no one missed it at all.  A quick search online shows similar recipes made with other fruits or a mix of fruits. 

what way were the blueberries used...preserves?

We've got decent fresh blueberries right now so those were used, but I don't see why preserves couldn't be used - I would probably skip the additional sugar myself.

• Love 2

I'm thinking tonight's dinner is tacos.  Undecided yet whether I go for chicken or ground beef.

The kids eat theirs as regular tacos, but mine normally turn into a taco salad.  We've been on a nutty schedule lately so our eating habits are less balanced than normal.  Wednesday night I made a side salad to go with my quick and easy dinner of frozen breaded cod filet (me), frozen breaded chicken tenders (kids) and tater tots.  I ended up with quite the substantial serving of salad that i inhaled.  Mars needs greens apparently.

• Love 1

Tacos tonight here too! Shrimp (mix shrimp with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, minced garlic - roast 4 1/2 min at 425 in my Breville Smart Oven on convection mode). Serve with Whole Foods mango salsa on heated corn tortilla. I'll also have 2 other items from Whole Food's salad bar - some cabbage slaw on top and broccoli slaw on the side. The only work is peeling the shrimp and prepping it for roasting and warming the tortillas on the gas burner.

• Love 1

Today we are getting are granite counter tops installed in the new kitchen. This project has been on going since last April and this weekend we will finally be putting the final touches and hopefully moving into the new room! We tore down the wall to our master bedroom and turned it into a kitchen that opens up to the living room, the old kitchen will get turned into our new master bedroom. I'm super excited to move onto the next phase of our renovation.

That being said, tonight's dinner is sloppy joes that are cooking in the crock pot and homemade Cole slaw to go with.

Edited by Mountainair
  • Love 1
Tacos tonight here too! Shrimp (mix shrimp with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, minced garlic - roast 4 1/2 min at 425 in my Breville Smart Oven on convection mode). Serve with Whole Foods mango salsa on heated corn tortilla.

I make shrimp tacos with mango slaw a lot, and just had them a few nights ago.  It's a variation on this recipe.  (I just use two kinds of cabbage rather than a slaw mix, I omit the sugar , and I cook corn tortillas rather than using those pre-made hard shells.)

Salmon and asparagus tonight (and my ever-present mixed greens salad).  I went out last night and had fettucine with chicken, mushroom, spinach, and alfredo sauce, and it was delicious, but ridiculously unhealthy (it's an old-school restaurant, so it's white flour pasta and the sauce is heavy).  So time to balance things out tonight.

• Love 1

Whole Foods rotisserie chicken tonight due to crazy schedule stuff.  It was kind of icky and just cooked enough to not worry about salmonella or whatever else (having once had underdone chicken years ago, I cook the crap out of it).  I hate having a bad dinner.  The brussels sprouts with bacon and onions were good, though.

Tonight's supper was Shakshuka with Feta from the New York Times except I didn't use feta...I used Mexican Blend (figured the feta might be too salty/tangy) and it was good!  I added a few extra seasonings (like Mural of Flavor, Turkish Seasoning & garlic powder) and threw in some leftover roasted potatoes.  Someone in the comments section underneath the recipe called it Jewish Huevos Rancheros.  It took 10 minutes for the eggs to poach perfectly :>)

I've never had Shepherd's Pie but last night I tried a new recipe for Cottage Pie which I guess is pretty much the same thing only with ground turkey instead of lamb.  I think the term "comfort food" is a cliche at this point but my goodness, what a perfect meal for a dark and stormy night!  It was all I could do to keep myself from eating the whole thing.  I bought two more pounds of ground turkey this morning and I just may make another batch tonight and freeze it right in the pie tin (minus the mashed potato topping) so I can have an edible hug in the icebox next time I need one.

• Love 2

Spaghetti & meatballs along with a tossed, Greek-ish salad.  It's funny that the sauce was from 3 jars: Wegman's new marinara (surprisingly good!); Mario's from Rochester (my last jar as Wegman's isn't selling it outside of upstate NY anymore); and Trader Joe's Arrabbiatta Sauce (which we love) + a little bit of brown sugar and seasonings = a very good sauce.  Fast and good.

• Love 1

Thanks to the warm spell and rain this week in the Mid-Atlantic, the 4' snow drift in front of our grill went away, so last night we had our favorite grilled chicken breasts marinated in olive oil, mustard, lemon juice, garlic, and rosemary (with baked potato and steamed broccoli), and tonight grilled salmon (marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, soy sauce, and dill) with baked potato and steamed asparagus. Can you tell I love baked potatoes? Left to my own devices, I'd probably only eat a baked potato every day. :)

• Love 3

I love it when I have time to bake a potato in the oven.  Potatoes 'baked' in the microwave just don't taste the same.

I'm having potatoes tonight, but in oven-fry form.  I'm also making hamburgers (which I don't have very often, so this is a treat for me).

No dessert, but tomorrow I'm going to make a pan of fudge brownies with a raspberry cream cheese frosting to take to work on Monday (as an early Valentine's treat), so I'll probably have a serving of that. 

• Love 1

If I could have a baked potato that was cooked in foil in a charcoal pit--yeah, I'd eat that every darn day!  I love baked potatoes cooked that way.

Yams and sweet potatoes are also good this way.  For me, a sweet potato needs nothing else so am always kind of mystified by the various recipes that add more sugar.

I think 85% of college aged DeLurker dinners were baked potatoes.

Last night was spaghetti night.  Always a crowd pleaser here.

I miss potatoes*.  I'm low carbing it right now, and it works, but I still sneak in some taters here and there.  Last night was lobster and boiled taters; tonight is wings and celery.  We don't do the Bowl thing, but apparently will eat the Bowl food.  

*I know cauliflower can be a "delicious substitute" for taters, but it makes the hub violently ill, so we don't do it. 

Yams and sweet potatoes are also good this way.  For me, a sweet potato needs nothing else so am always kind of mystified by the various recipes that add more sugar.

I love a baked sweet potato with some butter melted on top and a little sprinkle of salt.  That 'sweet/salty' taste is yum!  I like baked sweet potatoes and casserole, but I've never gotten into the sweet potato fries.  

• Love 1

I was on a big baked potato kick a while back. I'd have one for lunch everyday with butter, sour cream, real bacon, green onion. I'd wrap one in foil and put it in the crock pot on high first thing in the morning. By the time I came home for lunch it would be cooked perfectly.

Tonight is super bowl food. I'm in charge of spinach artichoke dip, ham and cheese sliders and Carolina Panther cupcakes. I'm sure there will be an abundance of wings (at least there better be). 13 of us in all and everyone's bringing something.

I'm making spinach artichoke dip too. A hot one with four cheeses that I've never tried, but figure anything with four cheeses can't be wrong.

I love those ham and cheese sandwiches! They're such a no fail crowd pleaser, too. Costco/Sam's type places have such a deal on Kings Hawaiian rolls if anyone ever needs to make a lot of them.

• Love 2

I'm making spinach artichoke dip too. A hot one with four cheeses that I've never tried, but figure anything with four cheeses can't be wrong.

I love those ham and cheese sandwiches! They're such a no fail crowd pleaser, too. Costco/Sam's type places have such a deal on Kings Hawaiian rolls if anyone ever needs to make a lot of them.

Sounds a lot like my spinach dip. Cream cheese, Monterey Jack, Swiss and Parmesan cheeses. A dash of hot sauce, Worcestershire, thyme, minced garlic and I use the creamed spinach for the dip.

The sliders are always a huge hit. Love them-I'm making two batches so there will be plenty to go around!

I hate potatoes; the only way I will eat them is as french fries, and only if cut so thin and cooked so crispy - and dipped in ranch dressing - they no longer taste like a potato.  Or as a flavored potato chip.  But baked, roasted, mashed, anything that actually tastes of potato?  Nope.  I have spent my entire life dealing with, "Really?  You don't eat potatoes?!"  Yes, really.  There are lots of things I love that other people don't.  I manage not to find this shocking.  Different strokes and all that.

I just go to my parents' house to watch the Super Bowl every year; none of us will do the SB party thing, due to the high risk of annoying people who are there for the food and beer rather than the game and will thus chatter through it.  So, smaller portions of each, but we still do quite the selection of snacks: shrimp cocktail, chicken wings (baked parmesan and herb wings this year), stuffed mushrooms (stuffed with spicy Italian sausage this year), veggies and a dill dip, a cheese, salami, crackers, and olive platter, spinach, artichoke & cheese dip with pita crisps, and I think chicken tenders, too (similar flavor profile as the wings).

One cat might steal a shrimp and the other might nab a wing, but they generally remember their manners.  We used to have a cat who'd steal broccoli, and loved the dill dip.  If she had thumbs, I'm sure we'd have found her perched on the table, dunking a spear of broccoli in the dip.

Edited by Bastet

Y'all had me craving spinach dip, so I made a batch. It's the only time I will knowingly eat artichokes, which are otherwise on the do not eat list (right next to olives and kale). I also made a shepherd's pie with good English cheddar sprinkled on the top. Between the two I may not have to cook again until Wednesday.

• Love 1

Not sure what else will be on the table, but I got a hankering for some shrimp cocktail this morning so those will be part of my dinner. 

I tested one just now and misremembered the heat level of horse radish so I'll need to dilute the sauce with a bit more ketchup.

• Love 1

Last night I made Ina's Herbed Roasted Fish, using tilapia.  Also didn't have fresh thyme (it's frozen in its containers on the deck) so I used Penzeys.  And Spanish Roasted Potato Salad with the dressing on the side.  I gussy up the dressing with some extra mayo and Trader Joe's aioli as it's a bit too lemony tart.  Love those potatoes!

• Love 1

I made Buffalo chicken thighs last night, liked them better than chicken wings since there's more meat.   I used bone-in thighs, took off the skin, and coated them with flour spiced with chili powder, garlic powder, and paprika,  sautéed them in a skillet for about 10 minutes, then baked them in the oven for another 15 minutes. When they came out I drizzled on a mixture of tabasco sauce and melted butter. Served them with bleu cheese dressing and carrot sticks and potato wedges.   

• Love 4