Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Bogey

• Start Topic

Episode Description:

Ben reunites with a duplicitous foe. Mick and Zeke's dinner party with Jared and his new girlfriend is halted by a calling that ignite the Stone siblings to save the life of one of their own. Olive's friendship with Levi blossoms but is tested.

So are Olive and Angelina in a death match to see who pushes whom off the Lifeboat?

Heh, that was pretty funny when Eagan called Ben a White Knight. Now I really want to see Ben dueling a wicked being with one hand while holding Baby Eden protectively in the other arm à la Once Upon a Time.

• Love 3

How much time passed since the last episode? Olive sure seemed to have turned on Angelina since the last time we saw them together, even before the hair dye thing. Also, when did Olive and TJ break up? Just a few episodes ago she was still referring to him as her boyfriend and now she is kissing his other guy. I feel like I missed something there. 

I couldn't tell if Zeke was reading evil vibes off Sarah or not. But now that Michaela knows Sanvi killed the major, it is going to make the next dinner party even more awkward.

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I couldn't tell if Zeke was reading evil vibes off Sarah or not.

I think it was supposed to be no bad vibes, but it was vague. I'm not sure whether the vague was on purpose or not.

Likewise, when Zeke "read" Beverly and thought she was reading him, I thought it was really that he was experiencing the emptiness of advanced Alzheimer's 
--which could be very deep and touching and meaningful on another show.
But here it was likely unintended. 

• Love 2

Meh, Olive is just a teenager acting like a normal teenager. Reacting emotionally and changing their mind about people and things is part of the teenage playbook. It's not realistic to expect her to handle things like a mature adult.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Last week:  Noah's Ark
This week:  Aslan

220px-Aslan2005.jpg

Who thinks that it's a good idea for exes to double date with their new partners? It was stupid on Arrow and it's stupid here. Sarah still looks like a teenager.

Poor Zeke. I think he's doomed, given Bev's hinting that Jared and Michaela are OTP. 

I can't believe how oblivious Grace is to Angelina's SWF vibes. However, I still have trouble feeling sympathy for Olive.

I can't believe Ben is trusting Eagen. However, at this point, I think I'm only watching for Josh Dallas. Prince Charming earned some goodwill from Once Upon a Time

And the water/flooding theme continues.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

How much time passed since the last episode? Olive sure seemed to have turned on Angelina since the last time we saw them together, even before the hair dye thing. Also, when did Olive and TJ break up? Just a few episodes ago she was still referring to him as her boyfriend and now she is kissing his other guy. I feel like I missed something there. 

Early on in the episode Saanvi mentions that "33 days and nothing's working" so at least a month has gone by since the previous episode.

That would put this episode somewhere in mid-July 2020, using Olive's June 8 prom from a couple episodes ago as a reference.

• Useful 5
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

I can't believe how oblivious Grace is to Angelina's SWF vibes.

And yet "unbelievable" *is* most all of Grace's actions and reactions.

1 hour ago, tv echo said:

I can't believe Ben is trusting Eagen. However, at this point, I think I'm only watching for Josh Dallas. Prince Charming earned some goodwill from Once Upon a Time

And that is consistent with Ben's character. 
*Sigh*
This show would be so much better with even a teensy bit of character growth and development. Consistency isn't always a good thing.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, orza said:

Meh, Olive is just a teenager acting like a normal teenager. Reacting emotionally and changing their mind about people and things is part of the teenage playbook. It's not realistic to expect her to handle things like a mature adult.

Especially if a month has passed.  Angelina does not exactly ease into things if her instant love is any example.  She probably has been less than subtle in her trying to be trying to be like Olive (and clearly not by this episode and the hair).  It is too bad they did not show more of the transition, but I thought Olive's annoyance at the beginning of the episode that no one caught was pure teenager.   

While we don't know more of whether she broke up with TJ and she is perhaps treating him shabbily, it does have shades of typical significant other leaves for college (or in this case Egypt) and the high schooler left behind becomes attracted to someone else.  Especially in the the case, they really had not been dating that long.  When you are in high school a three month relationship can seem major at the time, but in the end it usually is often not strong enough for when it goes long distance.  I wonder why they decided to move on from the actor who played TJ - I kind of liked him.  For some reason Olive being annoyed teen this season does not annoy me as much as it has in the past.  Maybe the actress has gotten better.

I actually like Ben for the most part, but smart move to bring in the character of Eagan to mock him and drive him crazy.   I am sure they won't go there, but while Eagan seems to largely view Ben with distrust and sometimes contempt, there does seem to be a strange subtext from time to time with how he views the Big Guy, that I am not sure he would have minded keeping him locked up looking handsomely disheveled in his "house" for a while.

Not that doing something stupid is a big stretch for the characters on the show, but it does seem to be setting up for someone doing something rash kicking someone out of the "lifeboat" - thinking they are doing the right thing but that will really screw things up.

In a previous thread, someone mentioned that the actors playing Ben and Jared are close to the same age.  I never would have guessed that.  I think Zeke and Michaela look like they could be around the same age.  Was it mentioned that Michaela and Jared had been together 12 years?  Was she 16 and he 30 (I suppose she did lose five years)?

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

The change in Angelina doesn't make any sense.   There weren't any signs of her going full whack job until Olive decided that she didn't want Angelina to leave.

Arguably, her sudden obsession with a jailed meth addict thinking he was her true love was a sign of mental instability, but I suspect we were not supposed to view it that way.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, CCTC said:

While we don't know more of whether she broke up with TJ and she is perhaps treating him shabbily, it does have shades of typical significant other leaves for college (or in this case Egypt) and the high schooler left behind becomes attracted to someone else.  Especially in the the case, they really had not been dating that long.  When you are in high school a three month relationship can seem major at the time, but in the end it usually is often not strong enough for when it goes long distance.  I wonder why they decided to move on from the actor who played TJ - I kind of liked him.  For some reason Olive being annoyed teen this season does not annoy me as much as it has in the past.  Maybe the actress has gotten better.

I agree it is realistic, and I don't really hold anything against Olive for becoming interesting in someone else when the guy she knew for a couple months moved to Egypt. I just wish they had mentioned him, since it seemed like a continuity error. At least add a throwaway line about long distance not working, or have Grace tell Olive to have some fun with someone close by.

• Love 2
(edited)

Olive turning on Angelina was abrupt as hell, as was Angelina turning crazy and competing with Olive.  I know they need to bring on the drama, but at least make it a believable progression.

The Major was torturing The Callings' precious passengers, but it's making a big deal out of Saanvi lying about it?  I'm sick and tired of Saanvi feeling guilty.  If The Callings wants everyone to be pure as driven snow, shouldn't it have punished Eagan by now?  I'm surprised Michaela or Saanvi didn't suggest trying to reverse whatever medicine she took so she could get Callings again.  

Eagan did have some good lines, but he was also annoying as a plot point who put the wool over Ben's eyes again.  He never even found out Eagan stole his briefcase and the empty papyrus piece was in there.

And then there was Grace's random suggestion that the men were pushed off the boat.  Cue the ominous music even though she just threw that out there.

On 5/13/2021 at 8:05 PM, KaveDweller said:

I couldn't tell if Zeke was reading evil vibes off Sarah or not. 

Whatever Zeke read off of Sarah is a moot point now that he has discovered he could put his own empathy onto others.  His empathy went into Sarah, projecting care for Beverly.  So Sarah could still be evil, but now we won't know until it's too late!  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, Camera One said:

Whatever Zeke read off of Sarah is a moot point now that he has discovered he could put his own empathy onto others.  His empathy went into Sarah, projecting care for Beverly.  So Sarah could still be evil, but now we won't know until it's too late!  

That’s Zeke’s new POW (Power Of the Week)? Bestowing empathy? Or is it more like whatever his emotion is at the time?

• Love 1
(edited)
11 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

That’s Zeke’s new POW (Power Of the Week)? Bestowing empathy? Or is it more like whatever his emotion is at the time?

I think it's whatever his emotion is at the time, since Beverly was basically verbalizing what he was feeling.  But with this show, who knows.

Edited by Camera One
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I'm still trying to figure why this episode was called 'Bogey' exactly ?  I didn't see unidentified airplane attacks (Bogey at 6 o'clock).  And no one shot 1 over par on a single hole of golf (bogey on the 9th hole).

The episode should have been called Leo and the rubber boots -- because of the lion and all the water.  So did Eagen's suede shoes actually get ruined since the flooding in Ben's basement turned out to be a calling ?

So, a disappearing possible piece of wood from Noah's Ark caused the earthquake under New York ? 
That makes as little sense as anything else on this show, so why not ?

Grace thinks that those people in the drawing were shoved off the boat -- maybe Al Zuras was holding the first ever Ironman competition, and that was the swimming component.  Jumping to conclusions based on vague information is what this show does best.

Glad to see that between the scene after the blood disappeared from her face and the very next scene she is in that Saanvi had time to visit a hair stylist -- because her hair was immaculate.

Is there an ancient civilization that this show won't use/abuse for the bullshit callings ?  Next week, Celtic mythology, where Levi and Olive go talk to trees.   #sarcasm

Beverly was literally the 5th wheel at that dinner.  Zeke should have never have left hot food within reach of a person with dementia, so that whole scene was basically Zeke's fault.

At least Al Zuras' journal was glowing and not Ben's hand.  Because that might have required some real explaining.

Best lines of the episode -- courtesy of Eagen.
Ben: "The water.  It's gone."
Eagen: "Dry as my grandma's meatloaf."

Eagen: "Don't blame Little House on the Prairie, it was very charming."
Angelina: "Did you lie about being an orphan too ?"
Eagen: "Ish."

Did Ben say to Eagen that his man-cave of 828 information was "years of painstaking research" ?  Uh, about that.  Technically Flight 828 returned in Nov. 2019 and based on certain date references it is currently only about mid-July 2020 within the context of the show.  So, yeah, not "years" of research.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 5/13/2021 at 8:05 PM, KaveDweller said:

Also, when did Olive and TJ break up? Just a few episodes ago she was still referring to him as her boyfriend and now she is kissing his other guy. I feel like I missed something there. 

I still don't understand why TJ was written off the show since he had been mentioned periodically but then now Olive is open to a new love interest.  I too can get how that would happen with long-distance relationships and young love, etc., but it was just thrown in with no explanation which made it bad writing.  Speaking of bad writing, I guess we're supposed to believe Olive and this new guy have the hots for each other because of their disdain for one another in previous episodes.  Such a tiresome trope and no other show provides a flood of tropes quite like this one.

I'll have to call out The Callings for being incredibly uncreative and literal this week.  Ben would eventually have noticed only Saanvi's photo was wet even if Eagan weren't there, so really, he contributed nothing except to give Ben someone to spar with.  Ben would have eventually gotten the Calling with the lion with the bleeding eyes and Michaela already had the bleeding eyes Calling anyway so redundancy.  

Ben's negligent security has resulted in a data breach of personal information of all the 828 passengers.  Anyone wanting to join a class action lawsuit, please contact me.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

Just MOO...

I think Zeke is being manipulated by Sarah. I think his warm fuzzies while looking at her and Jared happened because Sarah was still willfully impersonating Michaela, which she began while assisting Beverly. It was Michaela's misgivings, not Zeke's, that Zeke heard from Beverly, after Sarah channeled Michaela and put them into Beverly.

The Noahs Ark is a red herring. The lie was not only Saanvi's but Vance's. Think about it...he said himself it was the greatest secret in NSA history...if so, of course he's going to invent a false secret to tell Saanvi. He knew she would tell. It's something else, either the Al Zuras ship or aliens, time travel, teleportation, or something. Saanvi was healed because she came clean on the only lie she knew about.

I think Olive went against character because Angelina is doing it to her, a dark influence purposely trying to turn Olive bad, perhaps to drive her to some bad deed that will turn the family against her.

Also...I don't think the Major is dead. I think Vance and his guys faked her death. You never actually see the body that is in the bag they dumped. The Major was surveilling Saanvi, they could have figured out Saanvi's injection plan...and faked like Saanvi killed her. The Major did shove the antidote away. This way Saanvi needs Vance's protection, and believes he is on her side, and that she owes him her work and her silence from the other passengers. It was a brilliant way to control Saanvi and gain her trust, so that she would believe the Noahs Ark story while helping them with something much bigger unknowingly.

I think the Major is now using Sarah as a proxy informant. She is close to all the Stones, Zeke, and Jared. She also, as I said above, seems able to manipulate herself into the roles of other people, and/or make Zeke think she is good and good for Jared by cloaking herself in the vibes of Michaela somehow. Who knows what the Major learned from Saanvi's research, or the experimented-on passengers, that she haa now taught Sarah to use to gain the Major information?

Thoughts anyone??

• Useful 1

Angelina really did a zero to forty turning into some kind of stalker who wants to steal Olive's life, although I guess about a month has passed so we can assume things have escalated to the point that Olive freaked out on her and her creepy hair dying. I guess it does seem in character, Angelina presumably has an intense desire to be loved coming from her screwed up parents, the kind of screwed up that makes a person feel like her true love is an unstable imprisoned meth addict she met for three seconds when she was a kid and makes her want to remake herself into a teenager because of her seemingly perfect life with a perfect family she wants to be a part of. And while Olive has gotten a lot better, she has always been pretty moody so I can see her snapping, even if she felt bad about it later. It is definitely going to be worse now though. I also guess That she and TJ broke up offscreen? 

I cant decide if I find Eagan fun or annoying, his snarkiness mixes pretty well with Ben's earnestness, but if my life depended on that twitchy weirdo improving as a person to the satisfaction of an old testament style force of nature, I would not be thrilled. 

Sanvi can hopefully move on from her guilt now, although the whole situation has now become even more awkward considering Michaela now knows who killed the Major. Double Dates are just going to get weirder, especially with the Callings being the worlds worst party crashers. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I cant decide if I find Eagan fun or annoying, his snarkiness mixes pretty well with Ben's earnestness, but if my life depended on that twitchy weirdo improving as a person to the satisfaction of an old testament style force of nature, I would not be thrilled. 

Me either.  Maybe Eagan will become the Rich Dotcom from Blindspot--annoying and unlikable at first, then he became one of my favorites. 

• Love 3
On 5/15/2021 at 6:18 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'm still trying to figure why this episode was called 'Bogey' exactly ?  I didn't see unidentified airplane attacks (Bogey at 6 o'clock).  And no one shot 1 over par on a single hole of golf (bogey on the 9th hole).

Olive:  "Of all the mysterious airplane crashes in all the towns in the world, she walks into mine...."

• LOL 3

With regard's to Zeke's take on Sarah... I'm thinking she's somehow onto his empathy gig and outplayed him.  Not sure why, I just think she's a deep mole for somebody.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 5/14/2021 at 10:55 AM, CCTC said:

Was it mentioned that Michaela and Jared had been together 12 years?  Was she 16 and he 30 (I suppose she did lose five years)?

I think Beverly said something to Zeke in this episode about 12 years, seemingly referring to how long Michaela and Jared have (had) been together. Presumably because of her dementia she is counting 12 years from before she lost her memory--i.e., before the plane disappeared. From previous episodes (including old photos Michaela looked at), I got the impression that she and Evie were childhood friends and that Michaela and Jared had been together since high school or not long after. Let's say Michaela and Jared got together when they were 16-17, or maybe she was 16-17 and he was 18-19. So 12 years later, before the plane crashed, that would make them both about 28-29 (if they were the same age when they got together), or 28-29 for M and 30-31 for J--which seems about right for how they looked when they showed flashbacks of his proposal. After the plane returned, J was 5 years older (so either 33-34 or 35-36) but M still looked 28-29 (and in any case women in their early to mid-30s don't usually look much different than in their late 20s). Now add the year or two since the plane returned, and that would make J mid- to late 30s and M at most early 30s. That seems consistent with how they look. However, math is my weakest subject and my calculations may be off (plus now my head hurts from trying to work this out).

On 5/15/2021 at 9:18 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Did Ben say to Eagen that his man-cave of 828 information was "years of painstaking research" ?  Uh, about that.  Technically Flight 828 returned in Nov. 2019 and based on certain date references it is currently only about mid-July 2020 within the context of the show.  So, yeah, not "years" of research.

I thought that Ben or someone said in a previous episode (maybe one of the early ones of this season) that it's been 2 years since they returned. Even if I'm wrong about that, your dates don't make sense given the baby's age--between Nov. 2019 and July 2020 there would not be enough time for the 7 months of pregnancy (I think Eden was born at 28 weeks) plus the 6-9 months of age that she appears to be now (not that I'm an expert on baby ages, but she definitely does not have the newborn or early infant look she had in earlier episodes). So Ben must have had time for more than a year of research, and probably close to 2 years. (But again, my head hurts from trying to work out the math.) And it probably feels like years to him, because it has definitely been painstaking.

On 5/15/2021 at 3:12 PM, SweaterGirl said:

The Noahs Ark is a red herring. The lie was not only Saanvi's but Vance's. Think about it...he said himself it was the greatest secret in NSA history...if so, of course he's going to invent a false secret to tell Saanvi. He knew she would tell. It's something else, either the Al Zuras ship or aliens, time travel, teleportation, or something. Saanvi was healed because she came clean on the only lie she knew about.

I can't remember--does Saanvi know about them keeping the dead bodies of the 828 murder victim and the 3 meth heads? That would be a pretty big secret aside from Noah's Ark, especially if the NSA is using them to try to find a way to resurrect dead people. 

On 5/17/2021 at 12:38 PM, tennisgurl said:

Angelina really did a zero to forty turning into some kind of stalker who wants to steal Olive's life, although I guess about a month has passed so we can assume things have escalated to the point that Olive freaked out on her and her creepy hair dying. I guess it does seem in character, Angelina presumably has an intense desire to be loved coming from her screwed up parents, the kind of screwed up that makes a person feel like her true love is an unstable imprisoned meth addict she met for three seconds when she was a kid and makes her want to remake herself into a teenager because of her seemingly perfect life with a perfect family she wants to be a part of.

I agree with this interpretation, although the writers seem to be trying to give her an evil vibe. But either way, I have no interest in this story and wish they had not started it, because it takes away from overall mystery. While I do like the show being about family and relationships as well as sci-fi, this Angelina-Olive plot is too soapy and totally unnecessary.

On 5/15/2021 at 3:12 PM, SweaterGirl said:

Thoughts anyone??

I meant to quote more of your post, but I like your theories and agree that it is likely the Major is not dead, although I find it hard to believe that Vance would work with her because it feels like he really is a good guy. Also, while I have my suspicions about Sarah, I'm not sure if she is intentionally being a spy for her mother or is somehow being manipulated. Or--and this just occurred to me--she may not be the Major's daughter at all! Maybe she works for the Major and was sent to impersonate the Major's daughter so she could get access to what Michaela and Ben know. She did make her initial pitch to Michaela, but probably figured Jared would be almost as helpful after Michaela turned her down.   

• Love 1
On 8/4/2021 at 7:34 AM, Paloma said:

I thought that Ben or someone said in a previous episode (maybe one of the early ones of this season) that it's been 2 years since they returned. Even if I'm wrong about that, your dates don't make sense given the baby's age--between Nov. 2019 and July 2020 there would not be enough time for the 7 months of pregnancy (I think Eden was born at 28 weeks) plus the 6-9 months of age that she appears to be now (not that I'm an expert on baby ages, but she definitely does not have the newborn or early infant look she had in earlier episodes). So Ben must have had time for more than a year of research, and probably close to 2 years.

Plane landed in Nov 2018. Thus, 2 years!

• Useful 1