Type keyword(s) to search

The American Ninja Warrior Women’s Championship

• Start Topic

It was a good competition.  I was shocked (as was everyone else) when Jessie Graff fell early.  I was hoping for her, Flex, Meagan and either Tiana or the nurse in the final 4 so I was mostly pleased.  I like Flex but Meagan has been one of my favorites for years so I was delighted that she won.  She was kind of stunned.

I am sick to death of them hyping "first mom" up the wall.  The fact that she's 44 is a lot more impressive.

• Love 10

I'm happy for Meghan.  Jessie, Jesse, and Alyssa are my favorites (although I love Tianna Webberley, too) and I was rooting for the ICU nurse and the young college woman on general principle, but Meghan has definitely paid her dues over the years and has been overshadowed at times - first by Kacy, and, then, lately, by Jessie and Jesse.  Hopefully, this will give her profile and confidence a big boost.  

Sad to see Michelle Warnky going out so early.  I hope this isn't the last time we see her, or Jessie Graf, either, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.  Especially since Michelle is thinking of starting a family and Jessie's livelihood depends on her staying physically healthy.

Sadly, I couldn't cope with all of the yelling and all of the "FIRST MOM THIS!" and "She's making HISTORY!"  Dudes, it's a television show.  A fun, engaging television show.  Maybe I've just been watching to much PBS.  

• Love 5
(edited)

It was fun to see this show again. Guessing it was recorded after the regular competition and kept under wraps until a time slot opened up. I liked all the competitors and was happy with the final two, although any could have won and I'd be okay with it.

I was surprised by the one newcomer who said she decided not to go to college but would concentrate on Ninja Warrior instead. One can make a good living competing in this around the country? Who knew.

It was interesting that Jessie Graf got the Wonder Woman job after the director saw her on ANW. Again, who knew! I guess that might answer my question posed in the sentence above.

Matt and Akbar continue to be the stars of this show for me, they are really the best and so much fun as they geek out watching.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Guessing it was recorded after the regular competition and kept under wraps until a time slot opened up. 

Meagan was picking watermelons in her back yard. If she still lives in Boulder, that would have to be late August or early September.

Edited by eel21788
  • Useful 1
18 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

Meghan was picking watermelons in her back yard. If she still lives in Boulder, that would have to be late August or early September.

The personal story parts could have been taped at any time, not necessarily when the competition was done. Although I actually don't remember when the regular competitions happened. I just can't see all the ANW equipment sitting in that St. Louis coliseum for months on end. Rental has to be kinda steep. Maybe that's why the women "only" could win $50,000.

I was happily surprised to find this recorded on my DVR yesterday.  This was such a great showcase for women and happy that Meagan won.  The only thing that would have made it better for me is if Barclay was there.  She's inspiring for fellow shorties like me.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, mlp said:

I am sick to death of them hyping "first mom" up the wall.  The fact that she's 44 is a lot more impressive.

She also had to pose on the wall with a one-handed hold which came back to bit her on the butt when her grip strength gave out on a later obstacle.

• Love 2

I laughed right out loud when Flex was like...yeah, i want to win, bla bla...AND ALSO, i want a pool.  I wanted her to get a pool.  My two favorites were the finalists, so I was really good with either one winning.  Meagan has had such a rough couple years in this competition, so I was really happy she did well.  

They mostly all did great so it was a really good watch.  And no Daniel Gil :)

• Love 5

Jessie mentioned on Instagram that this was filmed in between the qualifiers and semis last year (some time in July)

Congrats to Meagan Martin!  I have to admit, I did not see that coming.  Good for her!  I thought from the very start that Flex would take it, so wasn't surprised she made the final two.  Great job by everybody.

I had a feeling when Jessie started hesitating on the handle that she was toast, but, as always, she just takes it in stride.  I absolutely loved that Patty Jenkins was there to root her on and Jessie's reaction.  I don't think Jessie stopped smiling during the whole qualifying run, she was so delighted.  Great surprise.

It hadn't even occurred to me while watching last year to wonder about the extra stuff (USA vs The World, All Stars) that they usually do in Vegas for later airings.  I'm glad they did manage to get something in.  I'm sure it's fun for the ninjas to get to do something a little extra.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, JenMD said:

Jessie mentioned on Instagram that this was filmed in between the qualifiers and semis last year (some time in July)

That would explain how Jessie was able to compete, since she injured her shoulder in the finals and had to have surgery for it; she would not have been able to compete in this Woman's tournament if it was run after Season 12's finals. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 5/10/2021 at 4:46 PM, VartanFan said:

I laughed right out loud when Flex was like...yeah, i want to win, bla bla...AND ALSO, i want a pool.  I wanted her to get a pool.  My two favorites were the finalists, so I was really good with either one winning.  Meagan has had such a rough couple years in this competition, so I was really happy she did well.  

Same! I was so bummed she didn't get the pool! ;-p

On 5/10/2021 at 3:10 PM, realdancemom said:

I'm also more impressed that she's 44 than being a mom.

This! Also, one of the other gals has a baby - why no "mom this, mom that" about her? It's more impressive for this mom that she is competing at this level shortly after giving birth - Sandy's kids are older!

I am glad they did this for the women. What really stood out to me is that so many of them have real jobs outside of ninja (Michele and Flex not included) so it makes it doubly impressive. It seems like a lot of the elite men now own or work in Ninja gyms and are training all day. The fact that these gals do so well while holding down a job like "JAG Lawyer" or "ICU Nurse" or "Teacher" is amazing!

• Love 5
On 5/10/2021 at 2:37 PM, eel21788 said:

Meagan was picking watermelons in her back yard. If she still lives in Boulder, that would have to be late August or early September.

Pretty sure the screen said Sacramento when they showed the house.

I very much enjoyed this and can't wait for the next season. I love how men and women compete together on the normal show, but it was nice to see just the women and know one of them gets to win $$ at the end.

I don't mind the "first mom" stuff because I remember when she earned that title. Before Sandy ran, there was another mom (who had competed previously; not a rookie) and they mentioned she was trying to be the first mom up the wall. I thought "big deal; mom status doesn't really impact things." She got to the warped wall and was not able to make it--so when Sandy ran, I got it better. I agree 44 is even more impressive, but fact is, as unlikely as it sounded, prior to her, no mom had actually made it up in competition. I assume they did in practice. 

Anyway, I just sit back and enjoy this show. I root for everyone. I only wish they avoided re-showing back story. I don't mind some backstories but if they show it more than once for the same person, even if it is different stages, I get tired of that. 

On 5/10/2021 at 1:04 PM, realdancemom said:

I was happily surprised to find this recorded on my DVR yesterday.  This was such a great showcase for women and happy that Meagan won.  The only thing that would have made it better for me is if Barclay was there.  She's inspiring for fellow shorties like me.

I'm quoting myself since I didn't realize that Barclay didn't compete last year since the format was different because of Covid.  It makes sense why she wasn't chosen for the Women's championship then.  It's sad that her mother passed away and I wished she could have done better this year.  However, you can tell that she was still emotional.   Glad she has a supportive community.

(edited)

Didn't catch this until now, but I really enjoyed it. Jessie continues to be my favorite / personal hero / girl crush / fictional wife, but I really like Meagan as well. Heck, they're all so, so impressive. 

On 5/11/2021 at 2:46 AM, VartanFan said:

And no Daniel Gil :)

Couldn't agree with you more there. 

Edited by Rosenrot
  • Love 1