Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E13: Trouble Dolls

• Start Topic

The shocking murder of a young pregnant woman leads the team on a desperate hunt for the killer, revealing something even darker than expected. Burgess has to make a tough decision about Makayla.

Airdate: 05/05/2021

(edited)

Just saw a sneak peek on Yahoo and Burgess is now driving a Lexus.  When she brought Makayla home just a few episodes ago she was driving a Mercedes.  Just how much money is she making?

Edited by KeithJ
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, KeithJ said:

Just saw a sneak peek on Yahoo and Burgess is now driving a Lexus.  When she brought Makayla home just a few episodes ago she was driving a Mercedes.  Just how much money is she making?

Still can't afford to buy a car seat that the kid actually fits into though.

• Love 2

Is it a luxury car ride share thing?  But then how does Burgess haul around Makayla's booster seat...  This show has no consistency.

I don't even have much to say about this episode.  It was meh.  Just like this whole season.  Next week's preview doesn't look promising either.

• Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

What was that dilapidated place where the gang took the women there towards the end? It looked like an old opera house. I love old buildings.

That was the Uptown Theatre  - one of the grand movie palaces in Chicago

https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/03/22/developer-drops-out-of-uptown-theatre-project-but-owner-says-plan-still-on-to-rehab-historic-venue-its-got-a-bright-future/

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Okay, Marina did a great job with this episode, I will give her that and I did like the case....however, I fucking hate, with a passion this kid storyline. It is abysmal. 

So, 6 epsiodes ago, Kim takes in this random kid on a whim, this poor traumatised child and for the past 6 episodes she has happily worked late at night, turned up on time, never skipped out on work, never mentioned the child was struggling, having nightmares, never talked about the adoption and then we get this....FFS. What's the bet the kid is mysteriously ignored now until season 9.

She bolts out of an interrogation mid interview, when she's the only one there. She skips out to talk to DCF, then bolts out of the DCF meeting while they are talking to her about this poor traumatised child and is barely holding it together. Come on...this was heavy handed, this show does not know how to do subtlety or continuity. Could they not even have her yawning once and add a throw away line that Makayla is having nightmares?  Or Voight questioning why she is late? Anything? And they are talking about her job, how dangerous it is, that Makayla is worried that she'll die and Kim is like okay, this is cool, I'll buy her some dolls for under her pillow. She's doing this for herself, not the kid. Dumbest fucking storyline this show has done, and that's saying a lot.

Now, I am a Burzek fan, not sure why, but hey, you like what you like.....the way she treats him though is appalling. After the shooting she tells him he HAS to let her back in....girl, you accused him of murder....you need to do the work and talk to him, not demand he forgives you. And then, he turns up because you say it's urgent and you don't ask him to be a guardian, you tell him and then pile it on saying "I need you to do this" because if you don't I can't be a Mom and a Cop, you didn't give him a choice. When is she going to ever ask Adam what he needs? They really do write these women as selfish bitches at times.

And the love sick idiot that he is just looked so bloody happy at the end. And we still end with this nothingness to Burzek again. The will they, wont' they continues because the writers know that's the power of keeping Burzek fans watching. This limbo shit is tired.

As for next week, I give that a miss. Let's hope Voight points out to Bender Barbie (because she always looks like she's four days deep into a bender) what a clusterfuck her dating Ruzek was and her inability to seperate the two, what makes her think she can do it this time. 

End of rant 😂

Edited by Guildford
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Guildford said:

Okay, Marina did a great job with this episode, I will give her that and I did like the case....however, I fucking hate, with a passion this kid storyline. It is abysmal. 

So, 6 epsiodes ago, Kim takes in this random kid on a whim, this poor traumatised child and for the past 6 episodes she has happily worked late at night, turned up on time, never skipped out on work, never mentioned the child was struggling, having nightmares, never talked about the adoption and then we get this....FFS. What's the bet the kid is mysteriously ignored now until season 9.

She bolts out of an interrogation mid interview, when she's the only one there. She skips out to talk to DCF, then bolts out of the DCF meeting while they are talking to her about this poor traumatised child and is barely holding it together. Come on...this was heavy handed, this show does not know how to do subtlety or continuity. Could they not even have her yawning once and add a throw away line that Makayla is having nightmares?  Or Voight questioning why she is late? Anything? And they are talking about her job, how dangerous it is, that Makayla is worried that she'll die and Kim is like okay, this is cool, I'll buy her some dolls for under her pillow. She's doing this for herself, not the kid. Dumbest fucking storyline this show has done, and that's saying a lot.

Now, I am a Burzek fan, not sure why, but hey, you like what you like.....the way she treats him though is appalling. After the shooting she tells him he HAS to let her back in....girl, you accused him of murder....you need to do the work and talk to him, not demand he forgives you. And then, he turns up because you say it's urgent and you don't ask him to be a guardian, you tell him and then pile it on saying "I need you to do this" because if you don't I can't be a Mom and a Cop, you didn't give him a choice. When is she going to ever ask Adam what he needs? They really do write these women as selfish bitches at times.

And the love sick idiot that he is just looked so bloody happy at the end. And we still end with this nothingness to Burzek again. The will they, wont' they continues because the writers know that's the power of keeping Burzek fans watching. This limbo shit is tired.

As for next week, I give that a miss. Let's hope Voight points out to Bender Barbie (because she always looks like she's four days deep into a bender) what a clusterfuck her dating Ruzek was and her inability to seperate the two, what makes her think she can do it this time. 

End of rant 😂

Upton is the obsession of Eid the Showrunner. Voight will give Saint Upton what she wants 

• Love 1

I also thought that Marina was great in the episode.  She did a great job showing a bond with Mikaela. 

That said, I don't buy any social services agency letting a single cop adopt a child.  The close up of Mikaela's birth certificate with Burgess' name, and her excitement about that on it seemed anvilicious.   Would you even be able to get a birth certificate with a foster parent's name?  I would think that would come after the adoption is legalized. I guess we're supposed to hand wave this.

I have a sinking feeling that Mikaela's aunt is going to show up and claim her before the adoption can be completed.  

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, nittany cougar said:

I also thought that Marina was great in the episode.  She did a great job showing a bond with Mikaela. 

That said, I don't buy any social services agency letting a single cop adopt a child.  The close up of Mikaela's birth certificate with Burgess' name, and her excitement about that on it seemed anvilicious.   Would you even be able to get a birth certificate with a foster parent's name?  I would think that would come after the adoption is legalized. I guess we're supposed to hand wave this.

I have a sinking feeling that Mikaela's aunt is going to show up and claim her before the adoption can be completed.  

I was a little ridiculous that they bought up all these issues of how insecure Makayla feels, Kim's dangerous job and all the reasons why this is a bad idea, that she has no one to support her and then Kim runs out of that conversation because of her job & they still think she's the best person to look after this child? And her support person....a guy who does the exact same job that she does?

Surely Makayla would be better off with a stable family who can give her the love, attention and care she needs. Not saying that Kim doesn't love her but the rest is up for debate considering her job. 

This story is just stupid. 

• Love 4

Makayla made me cry, again! 😥

Agreed with previous posts, when it comes to consistencies and continuity, CPD sucks. Don’t tell me the props team didn’t notice that Kim is driving 2 different cars just several episodes away. Hailey has 2 different homes since she joined Intelligence. Before this Kim/Makayla story arc, it would be more effective if the writers leave us some breadcrumbs about their struggles, more believable this way. Makayla has been forgotten for several episodes then here she is, drowning. Same goes to the new guy in Intelligence, what happened to Officer Andre Cooper now? And when it comes to working together as a team, why there’s minimal interaction between Jay & Kim? Or Kevin & Hailey?

When Trudy’s 10 seconds appearance has more impact than the main storyline, something is wrong. You can’t rely heavily on slowburn romances & promiscuous behaviours among coworkers to sustain a cop show. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Makayla made me cry, again! 😥

Agreed with previous posts, when it comes to consistencies and continuity, CPD sucks. Don’t tell me the props team didn’t notice that Kim is driving 2 different cars just several episodes away. Hailey has 2 different homes since she joined Intelligence. Before this Kim/Makayla story arc, it would be more effective if the writers leave us some breadcrumbs about their struggles, more believable this way. Makayla has been forgotten for several episodes then here she is, drowning. Same goes to the new guy in Intelligence, what happened to Officer Andre Cooper now? And when it comes to working together as a team, why there’s minimal interaction between Jay & Kim? Or Kevin & Hailey?

When Trudy’s 10 seconds appearance has more impact than the main storyline, something is wrong. You can’t rely heavily on slowburn romances & promiscuous behaviours among coworkers to sustain a cop show. 

According to Marina, Jay and her don’t interact because she has Makayla and Jay made a big jump with Hailey . Honestly I don’t know what that has to do why they cannot work together or partner up. I mean they are in the same unit and have to work together so they should Atleast have a work relationship. 

• Useful 2
8 hours ago, Jaelyn96 said:

According to Marina, Jay and her don’t interact because she has Makayla and Jay made a big jump with Hailey . Honestly I don’t know what that has to do why they cannot work together or partner up. I mean they are in the same unit and have to work together so they should Atleast have a work relationship. 

Jay & Kim haven't interacted for a good 4 seasons now, so it isn't just because she has Makayla (also Kim, until this episode hasn't done much with the kid either so that doesn't wash). Jay has been sidelined as a secondary character who is only there to prop up Upton. He doesn't actually have anything going on except Upton. He doesn't work or interact with any other character. It's ridiculous. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Guildford said:

Jay has been sidelined as a secondary character who is only there to prop up Upton. He doesn't actually have anything going on except Upton. He doesn't work or interact with any other character. It's ridiculous. 

I've said the same thing.  He (the actor) should look for another gig.  Upton calls the shots in their relationship, he could do a lot better.  And don't most cops look for someone not in the life, to get a balance?   Like on Chicago Fire, Boden and Donna, a schoolteacher.  And Hermann and Cindy, a very active stay at home mom of way too many kids.  Even Mouch and Trudy, a firefighter and a cop.

• Love 3
On 5/4/2021 at 2:33 PM, KeithJ said:

Just was about to post the same thing!

• Love 1
On 5/7/2021 at 9:19 PM, jabRI said:

I've said the same thing.  He (the actor) should look for another gig.  Upton calls the shots in their relationship, he could do a lot better.  And don't most cops look for someone not in the life, to get a balance?   Like on Chicago Fire, Boden and Donna, a schoolteacher.  And Hermann and Cindy, a very active stay at home mom of way too many kids.  Even Mouch and Trudy, a firefighter and a cop.

Count me in on saying the same thing too!  Jesse Lee Soffer needs to move on.  He's a decent actor and could be so much better with better material; he deserves better.

• Love 2

Hey Kim, you do remember that you have a sister, right? A sister, who does not have an occupation where she puts her life on the line every day, and who has kids, if I remember correctly. Picking Adam may look nice for the writers who want to continue to hold on the to the Bursek dream, but it makes no sense. Adam has the same life-threatening job that Kim does. Should Kim in the line of duty, and then Adam, then who's going take care of Makayla? Adam's loser dad? Hell, Adam could die before Kim, and then Kim is going to have to go through this whole process again.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, WinJet0819 said:

Hey Kim, you do remember that you have a sister, right? A sister, who does not have an occupation where she puts her life on the line every day, and who has kids, if I remember correctly. Picking Adam may look nice for the writers who want to continue to hold on the to the Bursek dream, but it makes no sense. Adam has the same life-threatening job that Kim does. Should Kim in the line of duty, and then Adam, then who's going take care of Makayla? Adam's loser dad? Hell, Adam could die before Kim, and then Kim is going to have to go through this whole process again.

According to Marina, when she read the script and said was going to be Adam. She called the writers and were like why not my sister or mother. According to the writers , her sister went through a lot of trauma with the attack and they appear not to be close anymore or fit in her life . 

https://www.tvinsider.com/997291/chicago-pd-season-8-episode-13-burgess-ruzek-marina-squerciati/ Might contain some spoilers regarding rest of season 

• Love 2
On 5/12/2021 at 11:45 PM, WinJet0819 said:

I'm not buying that whole storyline.  I think Kim's adopting Makayla is ridiculous and asking Adam to be her "backup" is stupid.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/5/2021 at 2:47 AM, Guildford said:

Still can't afford to buy a car seat that the kid actually fits into though.

But isn't Makayla like six or seven years old? Why on earth would she still need a car seat?

Edit: Ok, I just went and Googled "Illinois car seat laws" (which is undoubtedly more effort than the One Chicago writers bother to put into 90% of their storylines, but I digress...)

Here's what I found:

Illinois Child Passenger Protection Act

The Child Passenger Protection Act requires that all children under age 8 be properly secured in an appropriate child safety restraint system. This includes the use of booster seats, which must only be used with a lap/shoulder safety belt. If the back seat of the vehicle is not equipped with lap/shoulder type safety belts, a child weighing more than 40 pounds may be transported in the back seat without a booster seat, secured with a lap belt only.

Edited by SnarkySheep