Type keyword(s) to search

S05E07: Super 8 - The Plot Chickens!

• Start Topic

I was sorry to see one of the two females in the competition leave.   It is so incredibly male-heavy this year already.    And who keeps voting for the Chameleon?   He doesn't even sing.  This isn't the masked rapper.

• Love 6

I figured Crab would be "voted off" but expected Chameleon to go before Seashell, based on talent. Guess they felt they needed the "shocking elimination"? And, yes, Cluedle-Doo isn't adding much, except annoyance. Give me great singers, a few sob stories, fun clues. And I have nothing but respect for Bobby Brown and Tamera Mowry, leaning more toward Brown -- so much sadness and loss in his life, yet he wanted to come on stage and make people happy/ have some fun.

• Love 10

49 minutes ago

I figured Crab would be "voted off" but expected Chameleon to go before Seashell, based on talent.

This show makes more sense if you think the people are voted off randomly. 

(Or semi-randomly, like the NBA draft, but that's more than I want to think about.)

I liked Tamera Mowry's singing a lot.

• Love 4

I agree that Chameleon should have been voted off.  I think he should have gone out last time too.  Seashell was great, I loved Tamera's performance of "I Think We're Alone Now".  But I guess they want to keep "entertainers" like Chameleon around, that's how Frog made it to the finals.

I think any of the remaining competitors except for Chameleon deserve to win.  But I'm guessing the finals will be Black Swan, Yeti and Russian Dolls.  I predict Chameleon and Piglet for the next two boots in either order, then Robopine.

It does seem like the judges (particularly Nicole) are being told to give real guesses now.  I think Nicole is correct on Jamie Foxx and Jojo and Hansen.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Suzysite said:

I was sorry to see one of the two females in the competition leave.   It is so incredibly male-heavy this year already. 

Seriously. I have no idea why they started with just three women, especially when Caitlyn was so obviously first boot stunt casting. I guess they're hoping we think there's a woman in the Russian Dolls mix but even if that were the case, it's still very lopsided.

At this point, I feel like except for Piglet and Robopine (and it could be Jamie Foxx but I'm not sold. I'm also considering Steve Harvey and Laurence Fishburne), the judges have made a correct guess, even if it was just fluffed off. The casual way Robin said Wiz Khalifa with that Golden Globe clue tells me he already knew so I had assumed Chameleon was going home. Was surprised it was Seashell instead. And the "it's Hanson" "Do they have four people?" exchange was silly. There might be four dolls on the stage but those two that appeared at the end didn't move. Nicole made a more serious guess with JoJo but I do think she's safe for a while both as the last woman standing and just on the merits of her vocal talent.

Cluedle-Doo is annoying. I mean, sure, I'll take clues anyway I can get them but this isn't adding anything special to the show.

• Love 1

Woo hoo.   Got my one correct guess for the season in Crab.     Bobby's voice is one of those distinct ones like Patti and Gladys were in their respective seasons.   I too guessed Crab and Chameleon as the two to go and was disappointed in SeaShell (Tamera) being dropped.

• Love 1

Tamera and her husband own a winery. Her "snack" was grapes. Maybe that's why the judges didn't get to see it. Bobby Brown made me cry. Tamera was just so bubbly and positive I forgot how much I loved the girl!

I do enjoy the show more when I am pretty sure who is in the costume. Spoilers make the show better, not worse, in my opinion!

Yeti - Omarion, Chameleon - Wiz Khalifa, Swan - JoJo, Piglet - Obviously Nick Lachey, Robopine - Tyrese(?), Russian Dolls - my elementary school crush and his brothers.

• Love 3

I think this is the best final 8 that the show has had.  Previously, we would get stars like Gronk that were entertaining to viewers but not good singers or rappers.  I thought Cameleon was going to go.  He's a good rapper but not singer.  Rita was entertaining as a guest and she surprised me with her attempt at rapping. 

Since I thought Wiz was going home, I did think Tamera was going to go before Bobbie Brown.  She's a good singer but Bobbie sang an emotional song after an emotional story.  That's a lot of deaths in his life.  It's heart breaking.  I was even a little scared for Nick since he was up first and singing a rock song is not really up his alley.  I like when he sings ballads.

• Love 3

I am kicking myself for not recognizing Tamara, as soon as we saw her it all came together. I am sad to see her go already, I was sure that Chameleon would be voted off first. He's good but I think she sounds a lot better, and now we only have one more female singer in the whole bunch. Plus, Bobby Brown's song was really good, one of the best of the night, I was legit surprised to see him go. I am guessing that Black Swan wins though, its going to be her or the Russian Dolls, but its a really strong bunch of competitors we have left. It certainly says something when Bobby Brown and Tamara Mowry can be let go before the last few. I love Tamara, she just seems like so much fun, and its not JUST my 90s kid Sister/Sister love! 

Cluedle-Doo does nothing except add more wacky, which this show already has plenty of. I know I've said this before, but that costume more than any of the others makes it look like a monster the Power Rangers should be fighting. 

• Love 3
On 4/22/2021 at 7:16 AM, Suzysite said:

I was sorry to see one of the two females in the competition leave.   It is so incredibly male-heavy this year already.    And who keeps voting for the Chameleon?   He doesn't even sing.  This isn't the masked rapper.

The same "voters" who voted Bow Wow and Barry Zito further than Jackie Evancho and found a way to ensure Tori Kelly didn't make the finals in season 4

• Love 1
On 4/23/2021 at 8:19 PM, Josh371982 said:

The same "voters" who voted Bow Wow and Barry Zito further than Jackie Evancho and found a way to ensure Tori Kelly didn't make the finals in season 4

Entertainment value, I suppose. I really enjoyed Bow Wow on the show. Tori seemed to have it in her contract to be revealed the day her Christmas album dropped. I still don't know who Barry or Jackie are. 

Fan bases vote. Well known people, who are obvious to their large fanbase, often stay. Like Hanson. They are staying because they are nostalgic af and exciting to see multiply. But, people who are hard to guess will have the audience so stumped that it makes for great TV (Barry, Aloe Blacc, T-Pain, Chris Daughtry, etc)

I thought Tori Kelly was Jessica Simpson the whole damn season. Because I never heard of Tori.

5 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Fan bases vote. Well known people, who are obvious to their large fanbase, often stay.

Even not so well known people with big fan bases stay. Anyone who watches DWTS knows this to be the case. ::waving to Bobby Bones::

• LOL 2
21 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Fan bases vote. Well known people, who are obvious to their large fanbase, often stay. Like Hanson. They are staying because they are nostalgic af and exciting to see multiply. But, people who are hard to guess will have the audience so stumped that it makes for great TV (Barry, Aloe Blacc, T-Pain, Chris Daughtry, etc)

I'm not convinced there is any actual voting taking place.  There's obviously no studio audience this season, and there was no mention of fans at home at a virtual taping doing any voting like there was in Season 4.  It really makes me wonder if the entire "voting" has been a sham since the very first episode of Season 1 premiered and that it's just the producers or the panellists making decisions for what they think will be best for the TV story.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I'm not convinced there is any actual voting taking place.  There's obviously no studio audience this season, and there was no mention of fans at home at a virtual taping doing any voting like there was in Season 4.  It really makes me wonder if the entire "voting" has been a sham since the very first episode of Season 1 premiered and that it's just the producers or the panellists making decisions for what they think will be best for the TV story.

Right. I guess when I say vote, I really mean some weird version of producers calculating how people would vote. I keep confusing myself. I'll stop while I'm behind!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Fans did vote at home. I was one of them. But how much that vote counts for idk. I think they mentioned it the first episode, they showed a montage of people. Haven't heard anything since.

1 hour ago, CrazyTrain said:

Fans did vote at home. I was one of them. But how much that vote counts for idk. I think they mentioned it the first episode, they showed a montage of people. Haven't heard anything since.

When you vote, do you get to see previous episodes or only the episode that you're watching?  I'm asking because sometimes a singer sounds better in a previous episode, e.g. Orca when he debuted or Nick didn't sound as good in this episode.

1 hour ago, CrazyTrain said:

Ah thanks for the confirmation... I must have missed the mention in the first episode.

5 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

When you vote, do you get to see previous episodes or only the episode that you're watching?  I'm asking because sometimes a singer sounds better in a previous episode, e.g. Orca when he debuted or Nick didn't sound as good in this episode.

We participated in a Season 4 taping.  You only get to see the performances from that particular episode.  You don't even get to see the whole show.  You literally just see the performances and that's it.  It's clearly not "live", the performances are taped in advance and then you are shown them successively.  The performances we saw was turned out to be the finale, there was only Sun, Mushroom and Crocodile left so the entire season we knew these three would be the finalists.  You see the performances and then are asked to vote.  Then they would specifically call on certain people in the Zoom meeting and record them pretending to vote or their reactions.

The lack of clarity on the voting makes me think it's all fake.  I haven't watched Idol in years but I seem to remember that the Little Man would announce how close the vote was ("the bottom 2 were separated by less than 1%" or some things like that).  Can't remember if we ever heard this on DWTS either.  But nothing has ever been said on Masked Singer, has it?  I think it's all made up.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

We participated in a Season 4 taping.  You only get to see the performances from that particular episode.  You don't even get to see the whole show.  You literally just see the performances and that's it.  It's clearly not "live", the performances are taped in advance and then you are shown them successively.  The performances we saw was turned out to be the finale, there was only Sun, Mushroom and Crocodile left so the entire season we knew these three would be the finalists.  You see the performances and then are asked to vote.  Then they would specifically call on certain people in the Zoom meeting and record them pretending to vote or their reactions.

The lack of clarity on the voting makes me think it's all fake.  I haven't watched Idol in years but I seem to remember that the Little Man would announce how close the vote was ("the bottom 2 were separated by less than 1%" or some things like that).  Can't remember if we ever heard this on DWTS either.  But nothing has ever been said on Masked Singer, has it?  I think it's all made up.

Thanks for giving us an inside look.  I'm assuming that you had to sign something so that people don't reveal that the finalists were Sun, mushroom, and crocodile.

It probably is fake.  I think Kermit the frog was supposed to leave in the first episode.  Tori left before they announced her Christmas album release.  Can't really promote it by saying the Seahorse is releasing an album.

36 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

Thanks for giving us an inside look.  I'm assuming that you had to sign something so that people don't reveal that the finalists were Sun, mushroom, and crocodile.

It probably is fake.  I think Kermit the frog was supposed to leave in the first episode.  Tori left before they announced her Christmas album release.  Can't really promote it by saying the Seahorse is releasing an album.

Yeah, there was an NDA... we didn't tell anyone at all that we even watched a taping, I'm assuming it's ok now that that season is over.

The whole season we thought the Mushroom was terrible and we kept hoping that maybe we only saw half the contestants that night and some other group is voting on the other half.  Alas it was indeed real.  We couldn't believe that the Mushroom could advance that far but then it became clear that we did indeed see the Final 3.

I think Kermit was just to make it look like there were actually more performers than there really were.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, blackwing said:

The lack of clarity on the voting makes me think it's all fake.  I haven't watched Idol in years but I seem to remember that the Little Man would announce how close the vote was ("the bottom 2 were separated by less than 1%" or some things like that).  Can't remember if we ever heard this on DWTS either. 

It was heard on DWTS.

On all of these shows with audience voting, if you read the fine print the rules have a clause that says the producers can accept the voting results or completely them and do whatever they want.   There's no way a production company is going to turn over complete control of how their show unfolds to a random audience vote.  

On this show I think at least some of the boots have always been pre-ordained.   When the field gets narrowed down to most singers they may let it play out but I think a lot of these celebrities just want to do an episode or two.