Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Spaceman

shapeshifter
  • Start Topic

Bryan and Finola undertake a perilous operation into an INFLUX compound as they try to rescue George Jones, but Maddox and Ferris have their own ideas for how the task should be executed.

Heh, the description is a bit tongue-in-cheek/double entendre.
Too bad there isn't enough of an online audience to muster a chuckle.

Dad hiding under his tin foil blanket ☹️😟

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Dad hiding under his tin foil blanket ☹️😟

I am surprised that Bryan and Finola let Dad leave his motel room so many times, I thought Bryan was supposed to be protecting him. I was surprised that they didn't try to get pictures of all the calculations Dad was doing and the Tech. I am sure the underground lab had all the equipment needed to make his scanner, so that Bryan and Finola wouldn't need to risk using outside help.

Anybody else believe Dr. Laghari died from a stroke?

• Useful 2

The best episode of this series to date, I think. I like how things came to a head with a ll the lies and double dealing between nations. The actors also did a better job than they usually did, especially Bryan. Honestly reminded me of Fringe.

17 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I am surprised that Bryan and Finola let Dad leave his motel room so many times, I thought Bryan was supposed to be protecting him. 

Bryan was outside in the car keeping watch on the entrance.

I was surprised that they didn't try to get pictures of all the calculations Dad was doing and the Tech.

Some other team will be by later to sort that out.

I am sure the underground lab had all the equipment needed to make his scanner, so that Bryan and Finola wouldn't need to risk using outside help.

See above, they didn't have time to go digging through all of that before another unit arrived.

Edited by Diapason Untuned
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Diapason Untuned said:

Honestly reminded me of Fringe.

I thought the music was lifted from Fringe? The "sound mixer" listed on the episode's IMDb page is Rick Bal, who was nominated for Emmy and other awards for his work on Battlestar Galactica, so maybe I'm conflating the background music of 2 of my old favorite genre shows.

Regarding bad guys:

Spoiler

Sebastian Roché is listed to appear again in 1.13.

I was confused about the soldier who was on team Bryan. Was he not willing to kill another black man without reason? Or was he an old buddy of Bryan's? Or...?
Well, now he seems to be just a red shirt, so I doubt we'll find out. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

I thought the music was lifted from Fringe? The "sound mixer" listed on the episode's IMDb page is Rick Bal, who was nominated for Emmy and other awards for his work on Battlestar Galactica, so maybe I'm conflating the background music of 2 of my old favorite genre shows.

Well yeah, the music was a part of it, but the part at the beginning with the woman running around in that abandoned plant and then killing the Influx guy with the plastic bag gave me heavy Fringe vibes, not to mention Finola's dad reminding me of Walter.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I was confused to see Sebastian Roche here- he's on Big Sky as a lawman of some kind, too.

Am I the only one thinking there might be something shady about Daddy Jones? I got a weird vibe when he 'forgot' that he had visited Laghari in the hospital before he (Laghari, that is!) died. And Daddy abandoned his children after their mother died, is that right? Not sure why Finola wants him around.

I was kind of intrigued by the escaped research subject at the beginning, but again, I'm left with questions. She had been implanted with a piece of debris that speeded her up, which (( guess) is why she was able to slice right through the guard, and then Bryan and Finola could only find her by throwing dirt on her(?). But then after that, she was moving at normal speed, so maybe she was able to control it? 

I hope we're not going to be playing 'Find the Macguffin' for very long; although it might be preferable to 'Mo' Family Drama Mo' Problems'.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I understand Finola's need to have a discussion with her dad about her "daddy issues".  This was neither time nor the place for that.  Bryan put himself out on a limb for her.  At the very least she ought to put those issues aside for now.  Yes, it is true that if she puts those discussion off, she may never have an opportunity to have those discussions.  Regardless, now is not the time to have those discussions. 

She didn't have that convo while they were in a gunfight, or when they were running for their lives. She waited until they found somewhere to stay and things had calmed down somewhat. When else would have been a better time?

• Love 2

This was one of the better plot based episode, I am actually surprised they found Daddy Jones already, I was expecting them to drag it out for at least a few more episodes. I am really side eyeing Daddy Jones, I don't think he is telling us everything. I cant really blame him for not trusting Bryan yet, as his boss ordered him to execute him on the spot, but he doesn't even seem to trust Finola, and he seems seems to be hiding something. Did he end up actually agreeing with the bad guys and ended up working with them willingly because they want to use the tech? I feel like there has to be some kind of reason why Bryan's boss wanted him killed or else he would have just told Bryan, like they're worried he would use his knowledge in dangerous ways. They should have kept pushing him on what he knows before Finola gave him the Cats in the Craddle freak out. 

The bad guys experimenting on people by putting debris into them was interesting, I almost wish that had been a different episode so we could focus on that idea and the women who escaped and then had Finola find her dad at the end then do all this next week. Finola's Bambi Eyes at least are a bit more helpful talking with traumatized victims of human experimentations then when she is actually trying to solve cases. 

A stroke huh? Sure, what a coincidence. 

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Her father appears to be very fragile.  They should have kept pumping him for information while they can.  Personal shit can always wait.  I don't think her father is being totally honest. 

It's exactly because he's fragile that they can't push him too much. If he breaks down talking about what he doesn't want to talk about, that's just more trouble for them.

And lets be honest, there is no place for those three to hide.  They should have been found before the episode ended.  Satellite photos should have shown that they were lying when they said Finola's father wasn't there.

Satellites aren't that convenient, if they didn't have any overhead, there's nothing they could do

there should have been plenty of security cameras around to track their whereabouts, and those cameras would have shown that Finola's dad is with them.

Bryan destroyed all the footage at the Influx base.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

. . .

Back in the day they used to call those space blankets.  Back then they were used in emergency situations to retain body heat. 

. . .

It looked to me as if Dad went down to the front desk and asked the night clerk if he could have some "aluminium" foil [as the Brits pronounce the word].  Then it looked as if he carried a Costco-sized box of the super-heavy duty stuff back up to his room and unrolled lengths of it on top of his bed.

3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Her father appears to be very fragile.  . . .

Wasn't it stated--can't remember by who--at some point during the episode that he had been reanimated from the dead and whatever did the reanimating had to go through his eye to do it?  I would imagine that waking up suddenly and being told that one had died but had been brought back to life (after being dead for more than just a few minutes) would cause most people to freak out.

I have to admit that I haven't been watching this show consistently.  Watched the first three or so episodes then watched some episodes without my full attention and skipped some episodes altogether, mostly because I got impatient with how silly/stupid/nonsensical a lot of the writing was, with the severe lack of rational explanations for why things were they way they were.  Will have to read synopses of the missed episodes and start watching again, plus watching all the ones I missed once the series goes into repeats.

• Love 1

It does have a very Walter from Fringe feeling with George Jones.  If they find a cow next episode, then we know for sure.

The only problem is that the case of week went way away too quickly.

All of these double-crosses of double-crosses better start making sense at some point.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Darlabutterfly said:

Holy f*ck! Did anyone else know this was hiding under that boring black outfit?

image.png.2b04b809c77a6507950913315f52fa71.png

He was in an episode of Hannibal wearing a speedo, and my goodness was it a treat!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

I am now thoroughly confused by who knows what and who is lying. 

I’m pretty sure they’re all lying to each other.  
Bryan and Finola and Deedee are now only “lying by omission” to each other —which I don’t think of as lying, but most people do. 
And maybe Maddox is also only “lying by omission” to Bryan.

And then there’s Walternate Finola’s Dad, who might be  

• lying to himself 
  • lying to everyone 
  • lying to his alter-ego or other cerebral hemisphere 

So, yeah, I think we’re supposed to be confused about who’s lying to whom. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And then there’s Walternate Finola’s Dad, who might be  

• lying to himself 
  • lying to everyone 
  • lying to his alter-ego or other cerebral hemisphere 

So, yeah, I think we’re supposed to be confused about who’s lying to whom. 

You don't know what may be going on in the Red Universe these days.  :)

• LOL 1
On 4/20/2021 at 8:54 PM, tvfanatic13 said:

I am now thoroughly confused by who knows what and who is lying. 

They are all lying except Caroline from last episode and the children  from the greenhouse episode.  

Edited by mythoughtis