Type keyword(s) to search

S05E06: Group A Finals - In the Nick of Time!

• Start Topic

Am I forgetting a girl? Assuming the Russian Dolls are Hanson, do we only have Black Swan and Seashell? Caitlyn Jenner was voted off in her first episode, so were there only 3 total?

So lopsided. The Yeti sounded like a voice I know from 1995 - 2005 era. I thought Tevin Campbell or Marques Houston. Which is funny because I think Seashell is Tamera Mowry, and they were kinda famously on Sister Sister together for years. Ray J was a great guess, the voice was just so damn familiar. 

I missed Nick and I love having him back. I don't care what anyone thinks about that, lol.

Robopine has. me. stumped.

• Love 6

I think I must be over the show or something.  Feel asleep after Robopine "terrorized" Ken.  Had to come online to see who had been unmasked.  I don't have a clue who any of the remaining singers are.  I'm just over the over the top "acting" of some of the judges.  Maybe next season, if there is one, will be better for me.

• Love 2

I knew Orca was Mark McGrath from the first time he sang.  It was almost as obvious to me as Bret Michaels/Banana.  So I was thrilled that I was right.  I rarely guess these.

That said, if the Russian Dolls aren't Hanson, I'll be shocked.  Those voices are pretty recognizable (and I"m not a big Hanson fan) so I"m surprised no one on the panel has guessed them.  

I have no idea who the others are.  Seashell was great.  But no clue who she is.  

• Love 3

Yeah, I've heard exactly one Hanson song, and I'm sure it's Hanson. I feel like the Wildcards are either down to scheduling conflicts with people they wanted on the show, or it's just a way to shake things up and the original group members are slated to go the finale/win. I don't care, I still love the show and I love having Nick back. 

• Love 2

The remaining singers as a whole are a strong group this season!  I think a number of them could win and it would be a satisfying result.  I do think the weakest are Crab and Chameleon however.  Hoping for a Piglet or Black Swan win.

10 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Am I forgetting a girl? Assuming the Russian Dolls are Hanson, do we only have Black Swan and Seashell? Caitlyn Jenner was voted off in her first episode, so were there only 3 total?

So lopsided. The Yeti sounded like a voice I know from 1995 - 2005 era. I thought Tevin Campbell or Marques Houston. Which is funny because I think Seashell is Tamera Mowry, and they were kinda famously on Sister Sister together for years. Ray J was a great guess, the voice was just so damn familiar. 

I missed Nick and I love having him back. I don't care what anyone thinks about that, lol.

Robopine has. me. stumped.

Correct, there were only 3 females total on this show... no idea why it was so lopsided.  I think in past seasons, it's always been a 50/50 split?  So strange.  Robopine does sound like Jamie Foxx to me... I've watched the Youtube clips of him singing on Jimmy Fallon and the voice and inflections sound the same.  Nick said they always guess Jamie Foxx and I do think one of these seasons he has to end up on the show!

15 minutes ago, Ananayel said:

I feel like the Wildcards are either down to scheduling conflicts with people they wanted on the show, or it's just a way to shake things up and the original group members are slated to go the finale/win. 

I think the Wildcards are because it seems there wasn't enough interest from real stars to do the show.  That's why we got bottom of the barrel jokes like Logan Paul and Caitlyn Jenner.  There were really only 3 wildcards.  One was Nick Cannon.  And we had Kermit the Frog.  So truly there are only 12 competitors, which matches Season 1's lowest number of singers.

I am curious as to why there was such low interest... you would think that there are plenty of stars or faded stars that would want to do this show.  Especially the faded stars who need an ego boost.  I am positive that Lindsay Lohan is waiting with bated breath by her phone every single season hoping that she will get the call.  I hope she never does!

• Love 4

Also, Nicole Scherzinger looked amazing again last night.  Hair and wardrobe really stepping it up.

I liked Nicole singing.  Not sure why they couldn't have let Robin sing as well?  Why did it have to go right to Ken completely ruining it?  I was wondering if they were going to force Jenny to sing and was hoping Ken would shut up so we could have seen her attempt.

• Love 3

If any other contestant wants to try and start a fight with Ken because they're over his antics, I would be alright with that. 

I guessed Mark McGrath about halfway through his performance, I am actually pretty proud of myself I am doing pretty well on guessing this season, way better than I usually do. In fact, I'm getting some that the judges aren't getting, and that never happens. The singers still left are all good, they have I think gotten better, or at least picked better songs for them, but I am guessing that Black Swan will be the winner. I was thinking Jonas Brothers for the Russian Dolls, but Hansen makes even more sense. I'll have to listen again. 

I love Nicey, but I am glad to have Nick back as our host. He just has the right energy for this show, its not the same without him. 

I still do not get the point of the Wild Cards, it has to be scheduling issues or them wanting to get a few people that they couldn't get previously, or else they have no point whatsoever and could just be any contestant. Or the show just really wants to make it seem like they're shaking things up to make things exciting without actually changing the format. 

Edited by tennisgurl
24 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I still do not get the point of the Wild Cards, it has to be scheduling issues or them wanting to get a few people that they couldn't get previously, or else they have no point whatsoever and could just be any contestant. Or the show just really wants to make it seem like they're shaking things up to make things exciting without actually changing the format. 

I feel like, since they were pretty sure Nick would come back at some point, someone had this idea early to bring in random people later to "cover" his surprise return. Or, they had only enough people who would commit for two full size groups, and one partial group. So they squeezed in the "extra" people into the existing two groups. Coupled with Nick's return, they had enough "shockers" to get through the season. It seems like S5 happened pretty quickly after S4, so maybe there wasn't time to line up a full larger cast on the shorter notice. Or there were other covid issues with some contestants which reduced the number further. I do think they should just do two seasons a year, and alternate with Masked Dancer and I Can See Your Voice in the off time. I don't know, just spitballin"! 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I think it's because 1) to create the impression of something new, or 2) they couldn't get enough interested contestants.  They only have 12 contestants this season so wanted to make it look like there were more and to give the excuse to have Kermit and Nick as "competitors".

I think Season 1 when they had 12, they split them up into two groups of 6 each.  When they got down to 8 left, they mixed them up into groups of 4 each.

This season they keep talking about the Super 8.... are all 8 going to perform in one night?  Seems like a lot.  But also seems dumb to call it a group of Super 8 and then split them up.

What I am not getting is the point of the Robot Chicken.  He hasn't shown up every week but he showed up this week and gave a clue that wasn't much of a clue.  Is he supposed to be sabotaging the show?  I think it's Joel McHale but I'd rather have Joel on the show as panelist or host.

5 hours ago, blackwing said:

This season they keep talking about the Super 8.... are all 8 going to perform in one night?  Seems like a lot.  But also seems dumb to call it a group of Super 8 and then split them up.

2 hour episode next week. All contestants left. I hope Crab is revealed next.

I think the final 3 will be Black Swan, Russian Dolls, and Piglet (ah! Or Robopine!)

Seashell has to hang on longer, we need the ladies.

17 hours ago, blackwing said:

I am curious as to why there was such low interest... you would think that there are plenty of stars or faded stars that would want to do this show.  Especially the faded stars who need an ego boost. 

Until they do something about the weight of the costumes (esp. gigantic heads) and the heat they generate, the interest is going to wane. They are the #1 complaints they all complain about.

• Love 1
On 4/16/2021 at 7:57 PM, truebluesmoky said:

They all looked/acted uncomfortable when the Orca said he had ten year olds twins. Way too much easily Google-able information. Do you think that’s why he was “voted” off?

I don't follow?   What does his twins have to do with anything?  And I think he was voted off because he was the worst left in this lot.  

13 hours ago, Callietwo said:

I don't follow?   What does his twins have to do with anything?  And I think he was voted off because he was the worst left in this lot.  

In the recent seasons, the minute it's easy to find out who the singer is, they get sent home. The unguessable ones usually win. That goes all the way back to TPain. 

Bon Jovi and Billy Jo(e) don't have 10 year old twins. If Orca moved onto next week, the internet would be onto him, and then the judges can't fake not knowing anymore.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

In the recent seasons, the minute it's easy to find out who the singer is, they get sent home. The unguessable ones usually win. That goes all the way back to TPain. 

Bon Jovi and Billy Jo(e) don't have 10 year old twins. If Orca moved onto next week, the internet would be onto him, and then the judges can't fake not knowing anymore.

Ah, I guess that makes sense.  But I've always thought that what they say and disclose is all worked out in advance so I don't think they finagled a boot because of the disclosure specifically.  

13 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

But this show isn't "live", it's taped months or weeks in advance, so it's not like anything revealed on the show would affect any voting decisions.

I thought the internet already has identified who everyone is, the minute after their first appearance on the show.  It's one of the reasons why I don't specifically search the internet for this show because there are massive spoilers.

I've noticed that for this season they have completely done away with all pretenses of showing "viewers at home" being included in the voting.  For Season 4, we were seeing those little circles of viewers at home voting.  But this season we definitely have not seen anyone voting.  I wonder if they even had home audiences voting this season?  We participated in a "taping" for one of the Season 4 episodes and they at least had the pretense of having audience votes count.  But not sure about this season.

I still don't understand why the show goes through the pretense of pretending to have a studio audience.  Or why they continue to re-use audience reaction shots.  An episode or two ago, there was this guy with floppyish brown hair that has his eyes closed and dramatically does a neck roll as he sings along... we have definitely seen that exact shot at least once before.

In the episode with the Nick Cannon (was that this recent one?) when there was a wide sideways shot of Nick on the stage, we saw Nick and the Men in Black on the stage on the left, and the "audience" on the right.  There were actually people in the audience.  Not sure if it was CGI or not or crew members or what.  But when he actually shot the t-shirts and we see the shirts go to the panelists, there was nobody in the audience.

6 hours ago, blackwing said:

But this show isn't "live", it's taped months or weeks in advance, so it's not like anything revealed on the show would affect any voting decisions.

Essentially what I'm saying is, they give away a clue that makes the person easy to guess... usually means they revealed it because that's who's going home. 

It's more like the show stops protecting their identity the night they plan to send them home. But, I don't mean the audience will guess it in real time, I mean the producers know which clues to drop and when. I'm trying so hard to make sense, but this brain fog (from my vaccine) may have made this more confusing.

Ex: if Seashell mentions being a twin, it almost guarantees she will leave that night.

12 hours ago, Callietwo said:

Ah, I guess that makes sense.  But I've always thought that what they say and disclose is all worked out in advance so I don't think they finagled a boot because of the disclosure specifically.  

They were always planning to send Orca home last week. No accidents happened.

18 hours ago, blackwing said:

But this season we definitely have not seen anyone voting.  I wonder if they even had home audiences voting this season?

I thought I saw a shot of "people" voting the other night, the last episode where Robopine performed.  They showed each of the singers getting a vote on someone's phones.  

17 minutes ago, Callietwo said:

I thought I saw a shot of "people" voting the other night, the last episode where Robopine performed.  They showed each of the singers getting a vote on someone's phones.  

Pretty sure that's all pretense, there have been similar shots of phones like that since the show started.  Or it's supposed to represent the panelists voting.  During Season 4, they made a big show of announcing something like "for the first time ever, viewers at home will be voting".  There were "live" tapings of the episodes and then when the episode was aired, there would be multiple circles popping up across the bottom of the screen showing people at home pretending to vote on their phones.  The show has completely done away with that this season.  I'm not even sure if they had these "live" tapings.

I tend to think that the audience vote (whether in person or taped) doesn't matter at all.  I think the panelists or the showrunners are the ones that are deciding who advances each week.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Pretty sure that's all pretense, there have been similar shots of phones like that since the show started.  Or it's supposed to represent the panelists voting.  During Season 4, they made a big show of announcing something like "for the first time ever, viewers at home will be voting".  There were "live" tapings of the episodes and then when the episode was aired, there would be multiple circles popping up across the bottom of the screen showing people at home pretending to vote on their phones.  The show has completely done away with that this season.  I'm not even sure if they had these "live" tapings.

Okay, I see what you mean.  

18 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I tend to think that the audience vote (whether in person or taped) doesn't matter at all.  I think the panelists or the showrunners are the ones that are deciding who advances each week.

I believe that to be the case with all of these shows.  

On 4/16/2021 at 2:55 AM, MsTree said:

Until they do something about the weight of the costumes (esp. gigantic heads) and the heat they generate, the interest is going to wane. They are the #1 complaints they all complain about.

In college, I was the the White Rabbit inAlice in Wonderland. I wore a really heavy costume and mask. It was really hot, especially under stage lights. I keep thinking about them in these heavy costumes and masks, singing and talking - that’s a lot.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

In college, I was the the White Rabbit inAlice in Wonderland. I wore a really heavy costume and mask. It was really hot, especially under stage lights. I keep thinking about them in these heavy costumes and masks, singing and talking - that’s a lot.

I can imagine The Masked Dancer being worse with all the movement they have to do.

• Love 1
On 4/23/2021 at 9:23 AM, realdancemom said:

I can imagine The Masked Dancer being worse with all the movement they have to do.

Gabby and Mackenzie doing those flips just freaked me out. I think they need to simplify the masks for the dancer seasons. They need to see, and their center of gravity can't be off.

• Love 2