Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E11: Signs of Violence

jewel21
  • Start Topic

A wellness check on a family reveals signs of foul play and Upton is determined to find the parents and young daughter. As she delves further into the troubled family dynamics, she finds herself reflecting on her own childhood trauma.

Airdate: 04/07/2021

New poster here... great forum 🙂

Hailey was unhinged in this episode. And Hank letting it slide is unacceptable. She’s a liability. I wish he had sent her to the FBI again 😂 

Poor Jay. He’s always getting his heart broken. He seems to go after emotionally unavailable women. He should get more therapy. 

• Love 2

Nothing says "let's work it out, I'm not going anywhere" like the guy who won't even take off his jacket to have that conversation... 

Apart from the personal stuff, I did think the missing family case was interesting enough.  Not great, but not an entire waste of an hour I guess.

• Love 3

Jesse Lee can really just start phoning his lines in, he's been here before. He's nothing more than a prop these days to the same old sad story, saving his damsel in distress with earnest grimaces and teenage romance novel writing. Is he actually going to get any character growth of his own, a story of his own? Anything?

Eid obviously loves Upton, everyone has to pander to her, check on her, support her....when has she once shown any concern for anyone else? When Burgess lost her baby? When the guy she dated for a year lost his CI or his Dad blew up his life? When Atwater was being racially targeted by other cops? Little miss sanctimonious is nowhere to be seen.

So we've ticked the parenting issue box, the miserable childhood box, the trust issue box, the FBI job offer box, sleeping with her partner box... At least Erin cared about her colleagues and had friends. I know I was in the minority, but I loved Bunny (in a awful character type of way) it gave Erin something else to bounce around with. Upton is Jay 24/7 and this had red flags all over it. No way she is capable of keeping both things seperate. We already saw her inability to be unbiased and not let emotionally issues affect her work when she was with Ruzek.

What's next?

And I guess Cooper is gone now? In his blink and you'll miss it arc... that was apparently amazing & bought so much to the show. I sometimes wonder if anyone linked to this show looks outside their own little bubble because what they think we see on the scene is nothing like what actually is shown.

• Love 3

I know there was a case smashed between the Halstead/Upton saga but it got lost.  That "relationship" is stomach turning!🤢  And zero follow up to Ruzek slamming the door in Burgess's face last time.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Guildford said:

Jesse Lee can really just start phoning his lines in, he's been here before. He's nothing more than a prop these days to the same old sad story, saving his damsel in distress with earnest grimaces and teenage romance novel writing. Is he actually going to get any character growth of his own, a story of his own? Anything?

I think Jesse Lee Soffer needs to cut his losses and move on.  He's a decent actor, he should be able to find a new, better role somewhere else.  This one is not doing him any favors anymore.  The PTSD storyline, the dysfunctional family, and even the beginning of his pairing with Erin were all pretty good - but he hasn't been given a good storyline in years.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I think Jesse Lee Soffer needs to cut his losses and move on.  He's a decent actor, he should be able to find a new, better role somewhere else.  This one is not doing him any favors anymore.  The PTSD storyline, the dysfunctional family, and even the beginning of his pairing with Erin were all pretty good - but he hasn't been given a good storyline in years.

Sad isn't it? His PTSD was a goldmine & it's been dropped completely. He doesn't actually even seem to have a personality anymore. Last week we had a glimpse of it when they were teasing Ruzek at the start, then I realised why. As soon as Upton is around she sucks the life out of him. 

Yep, time for him to cut & run. Which is a pity, Halstead has devolved as a character not evolved. 

• Love 3

I don't understand why Upton was not suspended, or at least forced to take a few days off to de-compress.  Anyone else and Voight would have called them on it, not turned it into a counseling session.  Sheesh.  She gets the Saint April treatment from Chicago Med.

• Love 3

The case was ok but I am sincerely not a fan of Upton-centric episode for the following reasons:

- Hailey Upton is the worst main character in CPD, really turn off by her smirkness/smugness/am better than you attitude/always go rouge for “a greater good” reason/always use her childhood trauma as an excuse for most of her questionable behaviours/already slept with 2 of her coworkers. Sending her off to FBI to straighten her was a useless effort & evidently Voight is her enabler!

- The actress (Tracy.S) inability to convey strong emotions thru facial expressions & voice tones. Even her crying face seems fake.

- UpStead romance seems manufactured & so vanilla. Lack of sexual chemistry between actors. Jay has more chemistry with Camila Vega (Anabelle Acosta) than Hailey.

Let’s enjoy photos of Hailey Upton and her “one-for-all” expressions, only from this episode! 🤣🤣🤣

6F80E712-20C9-49F9-91DB-9934BF36D146.jpeg

C2208621-9A39-422A-B15A-FA66FCA58C6C.jpeg

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, Guildford said:

Eid obviously loves Upton, everyone has to pander to her, check on her, support her....when has she once shown any concern for anyone else? When Burgess lost her baby? When the guy she dated for a year lost his CI or his Dad blew up his life? When Atwater was being racially targeted by other cops? Little miss sanctimonious is nowhere to be seen.

That's hilarious SnazzyDaisy!  

Jesse Lee Soffer is the MVP of this fucking show.  The Upstead romance is preposterous.  First, Hailey shows almost no emotion while Jay moons over her.  Then, Hailey declares that Jay is more than a partner, and they decide to start screwing.  But wait, Hailey likes getting busy but she's never been able to truly love anyone because her dad was mean.  Finally, despite getting no emotional affirmation from Hailey, Jay is willing to hang in there with her because of the deep and abiding love. 

They already did the emotionally messed up woman who needs fixing with Erin, and that was much better because Sophia Bush was good playing the emotional turmoil. 

I am wondering why Jay is willing to be in a relationship with a woman who constantly shuts him out and has anger issues.  The pairing is just bad.  Even so, I admire how Jesse performed the last scene with Jay's commitment to help Hailey.  He is believable as a guy in love, but there is something missing this couple.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

The case was ok but I am sincerely not a fan of Upton-centric episode for the following reasons:

- Hailey Upton is the worst main character in CPD, really turn off by her smirkness/smugness/am better than you attitude/always go rouge for “a greater good” reason/always use her childhood trauma as an excuse for most of her questionable behaviours/already slept with 2 of her coworkers. Sending her off to FBI to straighten her was a useless effort & evidently Voight is her enabler!

- The actress (Tracy.S) inability to convey strong emotions thru facial expressions & voice tones. Even her crying face seems fake.

- UpStead romance seems manufactured & so vanilla. Lack of sexual chemistry between actors. Jay has more chemistry with Camila Vega (Anabelle Acosta) than Hailey.

Let’s enjoy photos of Hailey Upton and her “one-for-all” expressions, only from this episode! 🤣🤣🤣

6F80E712-20C9-49F9-91DB-9934BF36D146.jpeg

C2208621-9A39-422A-B15A-FA66FCA58C6C.jpeg

Well that's a disturbing thing to wake up to.

What also confuses me it the way Eid seems to be escalating & changing her story. First she joined the police force because of how Platt helped her Dad when he was robbed, then she was scarred because of an Undercover Op that her partner (another co-worker she obviously doesn'd date) was killed & she was almost raped....then it was her Mom being abused by Daddy, now it's Daddy abused her constantly & that's why she became a cop, what's next, we find out her whole family was murdered by Daddy & is buried under the floorboards?

It's almost like he sits there and realises that half the audience don't like her so he's trying to dial up the suffering to get sympathy for her. It's not working because it just makes you wonder how much of it is true? For me it makes me trust her even less because she changes her story to garner sympathy & to avoid taking responsibility for her shitty decisions...oh poor Upton, she commits felonies, facilitates murder, physically pushes/abuses work colleagues (she did push Ruzek back in season 5 which had a male done that it would've been made a huge issue) etc because of her ever escalating traumatic past. Oh and now Jay is going to 'save' her....give me a break.

• Love 4

Yeah, the Upton train has left the station, the writers need to see the handwriting on the wall.  It almost seems to me like Kim is becoming the new Olinsky, she keeps coming up with good connections to keep the case moving, while staying in the background.  But it still bugs me that she and Atwater NEVER TALK despite being former partners.

• Love 4

Yes, thank you for remembering that her past keeps changing!!  I thought maybe I was hallucinating her "origin story" when she was new, which was about Platt helping her family when their restaurant was robbed.  She was a little girl and Platt inspired her.  Was that before or after Daddy beat her?  And WHEN is she going to tell Jay that she lied about visiting her father in the hospital a few weeks ago?

She might have a traumatic past which can semi-explain her anger issues and mental/emotional state, but she's a liar too.  That needs to come out.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

That's hilarious SnazzyDaisy!  

Jesse Lee Soffer is the MVP of this fucking show.  The Upstead romance is preposterous.  First, Hailey shows almost no emotion while Jay moons over her.  Then, Hailey declares that Jay is more than a partner, and they decide to start screwing.  But wait, Hailey likes getting busy but she's never been able to truly love anyone because her dad was mean.  Finally, despite getting no emotional affirmation from Hailey, Jay is willing to hang in there with her because of the deep and abiding love. 

They already did the emotionally messed up woman who needs fixing with Erin, and that was much better because Sophia Bush was good playing the emotional turmoil. 

I am wondering why Jay is willing to be in a relationship with a woman who constantly shuts him out and has anger issues.  The pairing is just bad.  Even so, I admire how Jesse performed the last scene with Jay's commitment to help Hailey.  He is believable as a guy in love, but there is something missing this couple.

They missing chemistry. They have none as a couple.  

• Love 3
On 4/8/2021 at 8:23 AM, SuzieQ said:

I know there was a case smashed between the Halstead/Upton saga but it got lost.  That "relationship" is stomach turning!🤢  And zero follow up to Ruzek slamming the door in Burgess's face last time.

Of course not! Cause Eid has to focus on his obsession: Tracy Spirkados and Upton and the Twitter/Teen Backed Upstead. Ratings for this episode were lower than last week could it be the Promo for the episode focusing on gross Upstead? Or other factors? God forbid Atwater gets any lovin no Jay must fuck and have a relationship with his second straight work partner 

On 4/8/2021 at 1:00 PM, jabRI said:

I don't understand why Upton was not suspended, or at least forced to take a few days off to de-compress.  Anyone else and Voight would have called them on it, not turned it into a counseling session.  Sheesh.  She gets the Saint April treatment from Chicago Med.

I miss the Voight who tore into her when miss Smirky I'm Untouchable Ordered a death of a man then shipped her to FBI. But nope Eid's favorite character gets away with everything and must be protected. So nauseating 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Josh371982 said:

Of course not! Cause Eid has to focus on his obsession: Tracy Spirkados and Upton and the Twitter/Teen Backed Upstead. Ratings for this episode were lower than last week could it be the Promo for the episode focusing on gross Upstead? Or other factors? God forbid Atwater gets any lovin no Jay must fuck and have a relationship with his second straight work partner 

I miss the Voight who tore into her when miss Smirky I'm Untouchable Ordered a death of a man then shipped her to FBI. But nope Eid's favorite character gets away with everything and must be protected. So nauseating 

Perhaps this ship would seem less like a 2nd hand watered downed version of Linstead if they had focussed Jay & his PTSD & the impact of the failure of his past relationship at work rather than trot out the old tropey 'white knight' man coming in to save his mentally unstable, tragic childhood, woe is me partner....again.

But that would require Eid doing more than grabbing old scripts and replacing Erin's name with Upton's.

I assuming Jay's PTSD has magically disappeared now. Such a wasted opportunity to delve into Jay's past. 

• Love 1

I didn't like Lindsay so I was glad when she left.  I was also very optimistic  and believed Upton would turn out to be a good addition.  Alas!  I was so very, very wrong.   I agree that she has zero chemistry with Jay and I don't enjoy those scenes or the many other scenes she smirks her way through.   This may sound picky but cops don't wear their long hair loose like that (same for Burgess' ponytail.)    It's too easy for a suspect/perp to grab.  

I miss the days of Burgess and Atwater on patrol.   I also loved Burgess and Roman out together.  They've completely eliminated the role of patrol in the show and that's a shame.  Burgess is no longer as likeable as she once was and Atwater just annoys me because I usually have no idea what he's saying.  He mumbles too much.

• Love 2

Just watched this episode.

Ugh!!!

You take out all the personal crap, the actual case was decent.

Upton is becoming to this show what the Abby character became to ER. A depressing drag. She's the most boring character on the show. There is absolutely no chemistry between her and Jay, but the writers just want to keep forcing it. Erin may have had her flaws, but you could actually believe she loved Jay. And they give her all these different personalities. She was once the cop that had no drama. Then she tries to become Voight. Then she gets sent to the FBI to rediscover the right way of doing things. But yet, she was willing to break the rules again.

And of course, who makes the breakthrough about the storage tanks? Upton. Who find the storage tank entrance? Upton. They should have just had her search the property alone if they were going to make it that predictable that she finds the missing girl.

As a previous poster said on another message board, the personal and relationship drama should be the cherry on the episode. Not the actual cake. And more and more that's what keeps happening.

Watching these kinds of episodes makes me really miss Antonio and Al. They were basically Voight's second and third in command. Now, Voight is alone having to keep a high school group in check. And the main storylines only seem to evolve around Ruzek & Burgess and Upton & Halstead. Voight doesn't get any strong storylines anymore. And Atwater is reduced to only getting props for race-related episodes.

On 4/11/2021 at 12:14 PM, AnnA said:

I miss the days of Burgess and Atwater on patrol.   I also loved Burgess and Roman out together.  They've completely eliminated the role of patrol in the show and that's a shame.  Burgess is no longer as likeable as she once was and Atwater just annoys me because I usually have no idea what he's saying.  He mumbles too much.

Eliminating the patrol aspect from the show was a huge mistake. It's the same way I feel about Fire not exploring having another legit Candidate firefighter since Mills.

• Love 3
On 4/7/2021 at 10:57 PM, Nintra16 said:

Poor Jay. He’s always getting his heart broken. He seems to go after emotionally unavailable women. He should get more therapy. 

Yes, but apparently it's a family failing... *cough* Will *cough*

On 4/8/2021 at 7:43 AM, Guildford said:

So we've ticked the parenting issue box, the miserable childhood box, the trust issue box, the FBI job offer box, sleeping with her partner box...

And don't forget, the "gets along with Platt when almost nobody else does" box. 

Remember early seasons, when all the newbies were terrified of her, but in her few milder moments, we saw how much Platt cared for Erin, had known her many years, etc. Now, we see Upton is all casual about their apparently equal status, even calling her "Trudy".

• Love 1

I’m just watching this episode now.  I don’t understand why the neighbor girl didn’t say that she saw the family being abducted in the beginning.  She could have reported seeing that immediately without revealing more.  Odd.