Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: June 3, 2020

• Start Topic

Called it!

On 3/31/2021 at 3:53 PM, Empress1 said:

I think she has COVID. If I'm right, odds are good that a hospital would have turned her away since she's not sick-sick and she's not high risk.

I'm glad Charley is OK, but I think she should tell her family she had it. I'm also glad Davis came through for her - people rarely come through for Charley.

I went to a school like Sidwell, and I know what Darla means about the pressure (those schools are really academically rigorous) and lack of true connection (she means "few Black people"). (I would assume Darla's mother would have Blue in the Jack and Jill set in order to forge those connections.) It was tough for me socially. (Darla's mother is right that "rural Louisiana, son of a farmer" is not the kind of kid those schools typically see.) I thrived academically, though, and I got an excellent education and had my pick of colleges coming out. I can see both sides - I would bet Blue's local school doesn't have the resources to give him what he needs, but there are more rigorous schools between Louisiana and DC. I think they're going to send him, though. (If he's got a full ride until he graduates from high school, that's about $300K saved.) I can understand why Darla wants it to be the three of them since it's only been that way for a short time.

Nova and Calvin can get married or not, I don't care.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

What's up with Vi? Where are they going with the character? Why are they making her look older with the grey in her hair and sitting in a chair knitting? So many questions. 

I just took that to be acknowledgement of how COVID made us all go casual. People stopped getting their hair and nails done and took up hobbies to pass the time.

• Love 8

I can really see both sides of Blue leaving to go to the fancy school in DC. I don't blame Darla for not wanting to send Blue away to a school with intense pressure put on the students where he might feel like a token, all while being away from his family. Their family is finally together again, and she doesn't want them separated. On the other, Darla's mom overstepped but she meant well, and she isn't wrong that Blue needs to be academically challenged and to take a great opportunity when he gets it. Blue deserves to get any opportunity that he can for his future, and he could face problems in the future if he isn't being intellectually stimulated at a school that cant challenge him. Hopefully he can find a school in the Louisiana area, like in New Orleans, that is closer to home but also has a rigorous education that can help him in the future. 

I really hope that Hollywood keeps up his guy chats, I think that's a great outlet for him. Its seems like he can do pretty much what he wanted to do with his support group before the pandemic, just online. Vi was acting kind of weird this week, losing it over Darla's mom. Vi has always had a temper but its not normally that over the top. 

Kudos to everyone who called Charlie having COVID, I was sure it was a heart attack. It was nice seeing Davis be there for her and step up, and interested that he seemed to be ruminating a lot on their relationship. This is probably the most Ive liked Davis in a very long time, but I never want him and Charlie to reconcile. She can do way better. Poor Charlie, I wish she would tell her family about what she's been going through. No one ever looks after Charlie, except Davis of all people. 

Even when Nova is just talking about her relationship, she sounds like she's giving a speech.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I really hope that Hollywood keeps up his guy chats, I think that's a great outlet for him.

I loved seeing him and RA drinking “together.” My mother is in several Zoom groups that meet regularly. My book club still meets over Zoom (though I think we should try it outside and distanced; weather is gorgeous right now). It’s a good outlet, and Hollywood in particular needs people as he grieves.

• Love 4
On 4/7/2021 at 2:53 PM, tennisgurl said:

I can really see both sides of Blue leaving to go to the fancy school in DC. I don't blame Darla for not wanting to send Blue away to a school with intense pressure put on the students where he might feel like a token, all while being away from his family. Their family is finally together again, and she doesn't want them separated. On the other, Darla's mom overstepped but she meant well, and she isn't wrong that Blue needs to be academically challenged and to take a great opportunity when he gets it. Blue deserves to get any opportunity that he can for his future, and he could face problems in the future if he isn't being intellectually stimulated at a school that cant challenge him. Hopefully he can find a school in the Louisiana area, like in New Orleans, that is closer to home but also has a rigorous education that can help him in the future. 

I do wonder if the pressure Darla faced going to one of those private schools is why she ended up on drugs, so perhaps that's also why she's scared for Blue. Has the show ever addressed how Darla ended up in rural Louisiana? She comes from money, is from DC, and is clearly upper middle class, so it'll be interesting to know how she ended up in the country.

Darlene was out of line for applying on Blue's behalf, but I do think he should go. Or at least ask Charley for prep school recommendations. Blue shouldn't miss out on opportunities because his parents are scared to send him away.

I mean, if Darlene knew two board members, and her husband has connection to Sidwell (don't remember how), then how come Darla didn't go there?

Vi was doing the most, but it's in character. I remember her giving Charley shit for sending Micah to Gardini prep as well.

• Love 2

I feel like I don't even know what happened it that episode? I know this is a leisurely-paced show but when it ended I was really alarmed. No major developments. Did Calvin and Nova get engaged? I couldn't even tell. She must be amazing in bed because otherwise I don't know why he'd being trying so hard, she's not exactly fun to be around. (I do think some of his dialogue is pretty funny, he works so hard to sound "down" or something.) 

I do wish they'd compromise and find a New Orleans school for Blue. I hear his parents, it's tough since their little nuclear family unit took so long to get to and was really hard won, but it's not lost with a little distance.

• Love 1

Who'd have thought Davis would turn out to be Charley's knight in shining armor?

I think Nova and Calvin would be like Eva Mendes and Ryan Gosling. They've been together for years and even have kids now. They're very below the radar though as a couple.

Blue might be better off back East, IMO. Do RA and Darla not know about his nightmares? Whatever, being around Darla's mother would probably be a huge issue though. Blue's still pretty young to be able to withstand her negative influence.

FaceTime drinking parties. Okay. I wonder if they're all Zooming and FaceTime-ing over the internet because if not their cell phone bills must be astronomical.

Three-cheese macaroni and cheese sounds delicious right about now.

In my view Vi is way over-invested in Blue's life. It was odd how upset she got about just the possibility of him going away to school. At some point she's going to have to defer to his parents whether she likes it or not. What's best for Blue might be outside of her reach.

• Love 2
On 4/7/2021 at 1:53 PM, tennisgurl said:

I really hope that Hollywood keeps up his guy chats, I think that's a great outlet for him. Its seems like he can do pretty much what he wanted to do with his support group before the pandemic, just online. Vi was acting kind of weird this week, losing it over Darla's mom. Vi has always had a temper but its not normally that over the top.

I think they are trying to show that the pandemic is getting to them at this point, and they are all feeling uncomfortable and irritable.   Vi also raised Blue when he was very young, so I'm sure she still feels very maternal about him.

• Love 4
On 4/7/2021 at 2:21 PM, marceline said:

I just took that to be acknowledgement of how COVID made us all go casual. People stopped getting their hair and nails done and took up hobbies to pass the time.

I would agree except all the rest of the characters look the same as before COVID except Vi. 

• Love 3

Davis the NBA superstar is there by Charlie's side, but she said Nova, Vi and RA have a lot on their plate? RA played Jenga and had a Zoom date with Hollywood. Nova and Vi did nothing of importance either. 

• Love 2