Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Bad Blood

• Start Topic

Airing on March 28, 2018:

Officer Nolan, Officer Harper and Detective Lopez are assigned to the kidnapping of the son of a criminal court judge who has a long list of enemies who could possibly be involved.

24 minutes ago, bros402 said:

Are you sure it isn't March 28th? The 18th is a Thursday.

Thought I hit the "2" instead of "1". Simple typo, which I have edited. Thanks for the heads up!

So the correct answer was  None of the Above

Emmet spends Sundays drinking beer and watching football with Bradford...then Friday Pictionary night with Tanner....

Plot ripped from the Law & Order Mothership headlines

Edited by paigow
On 3/8/2021 at 2:13 AM, WendyCR72 said:

Thought I hit the "2" instead of "1". Simple typo, which I have edited. Thanks for the heads up!

2018??? Dr. Strange must be using the Time Stone

• LOL 1
7 hours ago, paigow said:

Plot ripped from the Law & Order Mothership headlines

I’ve also seen that fake kidnapping plot on Major Crimes and Numb3rs and probably elsewhere. 

7 hours ago, preeya said:

Kidnap girl (Molliey C. Quinn) was Richard Castle's daughter, Alexis.

Kudos to the director for avoiding having Fillion and Quinn in the same shot so it didn’t totally take me (and others?) out of the story   
––at least not until the end when Nolan/Fillion gave Kidnap Girl the cupcake and went into father mode with her bio-dad. 
I already have  trouble remembering  that Nolan’s Professor (Toks Olagundoye) is not also a private eye like in Castle.

Oh well, I appreciate that executive producer Fillion wants to throw work their way during these tough times.

Toks Olagundoye also starred in The Neighbors (2012) that I really loved, but when I see her here with Fillion, I just keep getting Castle flashbacks ––probably because they’re both crime-solving shows that both of them were in and in which NF was/is the lead. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Kudos to the director for avoiding having Fillion and Quinn in the same shot so it didn’t totally take me (and others?) out of the story   
––at least not until the end when Nolan/Fillion gave Kidnap Girl the cupcake and went into father mode with her bio-dad. 

I've noticed with this show, when there are guest stars from his other shows, there aren't those "wink, wink" moments.  It's refreshing.

• Love 6

I kinda laughed at the end when Nolan's teacher give him the materials for his 45 minute test.  Did you see how thick the binder was that she gave him?  What on Earth is he going to do with that during a 45 minute test?

37 minutes ago, paigow said:

Is Nolan so "old school" that he does not have a mechanical pencil? He will need to bust out his Batman pencil sharpener halfway through the test...

Hah! I didn't notice that. Was it really a Batman sharpener?

I have loved mechanical pencils at least since the 1990s, but until I retired in 2019 I still used sharpeners because my employer (a private college) provided only yellow pencils that needed to be manually sharpened. Ironically, what they spent on replacing heavy duty sharpeners that students managed to regularly feed things that broke them, they could have instead bought cases of mechanical pencils. OTOH, think of all that extra plastic in landfills if all businesses, educational institutions, etc. only bought mechanical pencils. On the third hand, think of all the time wasted sharpening and looking for sharpeners.

Anyhoo, I have no problem imagining Nolan grabbing a pencil and a sharpener last minute before leaving the station to meet with his professor.

11 hours ago, preeya said:

Kidnap girl (Mollie Quinn) was Richard Castle's daughter, Alexis.

Oh thank you!  That was driving me nuts last night!  I knew I knew her from somewhere, but just couldn't place her.

I love Nyla, and am already tired of the West drama.  Being in charge was a good look for Lopez.  And Smitty time!  "He'd love to hear about your DJing gig!" I laughed out loud when they took his handcuff keys, and Smitty just hung his head, nodding ruefully.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I’ve also seen that fake kidnapping plot on Major Crimes and Numb3rs and probably elsewhere. 

I already have  trouble remembering  that Nolan’s Professor (Toks Olagundoye) is not also a private eye like in Castle.

Oh well, I appreciate that executive producer Fillion wants to throw work their way during these tough times.

Toks Olagundoye also starred in The Neighbors (2012) that I really loved, but when I see her here with Fillion, I just keep getting Castle flashbacks ––probably because they’re both crime-solving shows that both of them were in and in which NF was/is the lead. 

The fake kidnapping gone wrong plot is so overused.  Seriously, did any viewer not see that coming from the moment we found out the "kid" was a teenager/young adult?  I will give them credit for the novelty of the accomplice being the unknown daughter of the criminal they need help from.

I knew the professor looked familiar, but I kept forgetting to IMDB her.  I totally forgot about her stint on Castle.  That all makes sense now.  I do think they'd make a nice couple, so I hope when the semester is over they write that in. 

What the hell are they doing to Chen???  Her character is getting worse and worse every week, and she's become a whiny 14 year old.  Bring back the snark between her and Bradford. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

OTOH, think of all that extra plastic in landfills if all businesses, educational institutions, etc. only bought mechanical pencils. On the third hand, think of all the time wasted sharpening and looking for sharpeners.

This is my pencil sharpener. Doesn't break so easily.

I like mechanical pencils too, but the 0.5mm size (which are great for drawing) break when you look at them, and the much more sturdy 2.0mm are like writing with a cricket stump, and only really good for use by a storm-carpenter.

• Love 1

One of the crime addresses was on my street, but 5000 higher than it goes.  

Molly Quinn has grown up.  She was probably already an adult when Castle ended, but she was still "a kid".  She's so grown up now.  I didn't recognize her.  I liked seeing her and am glad they cast her for a bit part.

I just noticed the double entendre of the episode title “Bad Blood,” referring to both the idiot kidnappers not knowing that withdrawing quarts of blood instead of pints will kill their hostage before they might still need to provide “proof of life,” and also referring to the “sociopathic” criminals’ daughter being a “sociopath” too.
Ugh.
Dear writers: Don’t go there.  
Why not, you ask? Well, for starters: https://genetics.thetech.org/ask-a-geneticist/sociopath-genetics

If Molly C. Quinn has a few more appearances on the show, I hope they use her character to prove that sociopathic-type behavior is not inherited, and, although from what we saw of her mother, she may have had a disadvantaged childhood, maybe she can turn over a new leaf in prison? 

Edited by shapeshifter

Oscar seems a lot like the bad guy from the first episode of the new Hawaii-Five-O, played by Will Yun Lee.  He started as a machinegun-wielding crazy drug dealer, got "softened" by having a family backstory, and ended up becoming a valuable asset to the team.  I liked that character growth.  Oscar has the same potential.  I think when you stumble onto the right actor for a role, it gives the writers a lot more room to work their magic.

I love Oscar - he’s so funny.

I like when they go the comedic direction with Tim. It’s rare but the actor can be very funny. 

Chen was acting like a pain this episode.