Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Boob Freak!

The exclamation mark in the title is a little alarming.

A personal trainer is willing to take extreme measures to remove a head scar, while a cancer survivor asks the doctors to make her botched reconstructive breasts look natural again.

Well, let's see if she was a cancer survivor who just wanted her reasonable anatomical proportions restored, or like the other freaks, decided to go triple D when a C would suffice.   Recontructive surgery after mastectomy is covered by insurance, but Doctors are very conservative about the implant size they use.   You ain't gonna get clown boobs during a medically necessary procedure.   A pre surgery B cup is getting a B cup.   Anything else falls in the realm of cosmetic, and would be denied. 

Bored to death with the damn boob jobs already.   Will she lie like the other one who said the Doctor put in the size he wanted?   Because there are such things as consent forms, and the size would have been signed off on.   The only time a Doctor is going to change up the size during surgery is if he/she absolutely cannot fit the agreed upon size, and goes smaller, not bigger.   First do no harm and all.   

I must be missing something but why didn't the hair guy just wear his hair slightly longer in the back so the scar would be covered. Seems easier to change your hair style slightly than to submit to painful unnecessary surgery.

• Love 7

Mike, you don't need to worry about sounding like a douche; you ARE a douche!

Speaking of douches, the cancer survivor's husband looked like one wearing that hat. I'm glad the fix worked, but I'm getting tired of botched boob jobs.

I can only assume the woman they turned away went shopping elsewhere for plastic surgery, as she let slip.

I must be missing something but why didn't the hair guy just wear his hair slightly longer in the back so the scar would be covered. Seems easier to change your hair style slightly than to submit to painful unnecessary surgery.

That was first thought as well. I think he doth protest too much about having to invent interesting stories about the scar...
  • Love 1
(edited)
Mike, you don't need to worry about sounding like a douche; you ARE a douche!

I don't care how omnipresent he feels the superficial standards of beauty are in Hollywood, that doesn't mean he needs to buy into them. Thought he was being so clever with his stupid "boob head" comments. I strongly suspect he doesn't usually wear his hair so short, but buzzed it for the show so that the scar would be more prominent. His hair was certainly longer in his "after" shot. For someone who initially didn't want to be seen in public with the skin expander in place, he sure made a meal out of it afterwards while he was out "clubbing" with friends.

I'm glad his (lunk)head hurt. And Mike? Your hair transplants don't look that good in front, either. If you're concerned about success in LA, try setting a goal of being an informed, caring, and motivational trainer instead of an actor. Because we know his messenger bag is full of headshots and casting call notices.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 3

The storyline with Mike ended strangely. We never saw a follow-up with the docs and it sounded like the procedure wasn't 100% successful (which they said was a possibility). It was a weird ending compared to the other reveals they've done on the show. At first I kind of liked his frank demeanor in his THs, but he exposed himself as a douche as the show wore on.

The cancer survivor looked amazing afterward. Big difference!

• Love 1
And it's no small thing. The problem with the scar is that it is huge and no hair will grow on it. Even if he had his hair longer it would look strange.  And why should he live with that, at such a young age, when he can fix it?  I didn't mind him at all.

Not to belabor the point, but why would it look strange if he grew hair that covered it. I realize hair might not be growing FROM the scar area but there are certainly haircuts in which the hairs are layered and some of the top layers would completely covered the scarred area. His hair was essentially shaved so there was no length at all to go over the scar. It would seem that the first thing a person would do would be to grow their hair out a bit to cover the scar rather than subject themselves to surgery.

• Love 2
The storyline with Mike ended strangely. We never saw a follow-up with the docs and it sounded like the procedure wasn't 100% successful (which they said was a possibility). It was a weird ending compared to the other reveals they've done on the show. At first I kind of liked his frank demeanor in his THs, but he exposed himself as a douche as the show wore on.

Yeah, WTF was up with the weird way that ended?  I'd been thinking why didn't he just grow his hair a bit longer in the back & the scar would be covered.  Isn't that what happened at the end?  That his hair in the back was longer so the scar was hidden?  So went he thru all this expense & pain for nothing?  I don't get it.  He seemed to indicate the procedure was a failure, but didn't get specific & they didn't acknowledge anything.  Kind of fucked up they won't admit when they haven't done a good job.

I knew they weren't gonna do anything to the lady with Elephant Man face.  If they touched her, her whole face would cave in.  She was fuckin' scary looking.

(edited)

I used to be a hairdresser back in the day and had a client that had a hair transplant. He had a scar across the back of his head and below that he had circles of hair missing (that they also used for transplants), anyway I was able to give him a normal layered cut and it hid all his scars. Would he be able to wear a buzz cut?  Absolutely not.

When Mike originally came in he had a layered cut and you couldn't see anything until Paul and Terry were moving his hair around to see the scar. He was probably better off leaving well enough alone.  Or he could have had a buzz cut and have had two eyes etched in above the scar.

Edited by featherhead

I actually thought that Scar Head (funniest chyron yet!) was going to be the one turned away by the docs. His procedure was SO painful for something with such a low success rate. I couldn't even look at the screen for most of his scenes because they made me so queasy. I also got the feeling he was one of those trainers who made fun of overweight people at the gym behind their backs.

• Love 1

I actually thought that Scar Head (funniest chyron yet!) was going to be the one turned away by the docs. His procedure was SO painful for something with such a low success rate. I couldn't even look at the screen for most of his scenes because they made me so queasy. I also got the feeling he was one of those trainers who made fun of overweight people at the gym behind their backs.

Apparently, Mike did not like the result and blew up twitter last night.  http://thestir.cafemom.com/entertainment/175291/why_dina_manzo_may_want

Dr. Nassif answered Mike's complaints.  I didn't get the guy wearing a baseball cap and hiding his expensive transplanted hair.  I didn't see much of an improvement but I did sense this guy was pretty much a major complainer.  I find it hard to believe he could not hav returned to Paul's office if he sprung an infection.

• Love 1
(edited)

So many patients, so many liars.

Since 1999, coverage under large group plans that provide mastectomy coverage (which is in effect all)  have mandated that a woman has the right to have the affected breast reconstructed.   Prior to that, women who could not afford the surgery on their own just stuck a chicken cutlet in their bras.   I'm pretty sure they would have been over the moon just to get a somewhat normal breast back,  not gaming the system to get bigger boobs.     If you have a healthy breast which is a sagging B cup,  you don't get an implant in that breast.    You get the affected breast implanted, and as much reconstructive work as needed to make the affected breast as much alike the non affected breast as possible.    It's not a gimmee to jump up two cup sizes.    That woman's Doctor did not, I repeat NOT decide while she was under anesthesia to implant the healthy breast.   She decided beforehand she wanted to upgrade, and they either bilked the insurance,  or she just paid for it herself.   Just admit it, you wanted bigger damn boobs.    I'm not sure why the hell she got an ugly tattoo that looked like her boob was being taken by gangrene,  but there it is.

They pulled a bait and switch by advertising the woman who rode horses as "Filipino face lift".   Her facelift and chin cleft were fine.   They tricked you into believing her face was the result of bad plastic surgery, when in fact,  her face had been shattered in an accident.   I agree with the Doctors that her result was pretty good for how extensive the damage was, and that she looked pretty damned good.    I could have done without the overblown lips, but still not as bad as she could have been.

Poor, poor  scar head.   He should have stayed on the farm, he should have listened to his old man.   Cuz the only way you can get a job in L.A. is to have a perfect hairline.   Admit it kid, you came to L.A. because you couldn't meet any nice young men on the farm.   It happens.   Contrary to popular belief,  not everyone in the gay male community is that hung up on looks, but he happened to be one who was.   What was the point of him appearing shirtless?   Wasn't it his fat head which was operated on?      He really should watch that "Rich kids of Bev Hills" show.  There's a guy with a hairline at the top of his head who looks like Chris Elliot to boot who apparently has made a very good career in real estate.     Plenty of homely successful people in L.A.   Bad hairline or no, he's one of them. 

Edited by Mu Shu
  • Love 3

Anyone catch the casting call email at the end of the episode? Seems like they need some more advertising.. um, patients for the show. And I guess it won't be back for 2-3 weeks now.

I've always been curious about plastic surgery. Not because I want anything done, because I really don't...but I am curious as to what one of these superficial douches would say is "wrong" with my appearance.

I don't care how omnipresent he feels the superficial standards of beauty are in Hollywood, that doesn't mean he needs to buy into them. Thought he was being so clever with his stupid "boob head" comments. I strongly suspect he doesn't usually wear his hair so short, but buzzed it for the show so that the scar would be more prominent. His hair was certainly longer in his "after" shot. For someone who initially didn't want to be seen in public with the skin expander in place, he sure made a meal out of it afterwards while he was out "clubbing" with friends.

On thinking about it more, he also seemed to complain a lot about the attention his scar got him when he was in public...

So, I have issues with Mike. I am trying to separate my personal experience with procedures he had from what he presented on screen. But coming here, I see that others find him to be a superficial jerk too so, it's not just a reaction based on the fact that I had 2 tissue expanders in the front of my head for 3 months so, his personality and comments about boob head make me want to punch him in the face.

I'm with everyone who said he should wear a different haircut or grow it longer. Was the object to make a thinner, shorter scar because I can't imagine the doctors told him there would be no scar?

Edited by red12
  • Love 2
But coming here, I see that others find him to be a superficial jerk too so, it's not just a reaction based on the fact that I had 2 tissue expanders in the front of my head for 3 months so, his personality and comments about boob head make me want to punch him in the face.

I wondered about that! On other medical shows I've seen where tissue expanders are required, they need to be left in for months, not days.

• Love 3

Poor, poor  scar head.   He should have stayed on the farm, he should have listened to his old man.   Cuz the only way you can get a job in L.A. is to have a perfect hairline.   Admit it kid, you came to L.A. because you couldn't meet any nice young men on the farm.   It happens.   Contrary to popular belief,  not everyone in the gay male community is that hung up on looks, but he happened to be one who was.

Which is dumb, because hairline fixed or not, he's never going to be the Hot Guy Everyone Stares At As He Walks By. I can see that making anybody insecure to be average-looking in a looks-obsessed environment, but dude really needed to get over it.

If that "friend" with him was a boyfriend, he's actually doing quite well in the dating departments (looks-wise), so eh, man. I saw a guy who was totally bald and bartending at a gay bar, which was pretty picky about how their guys looked. Mike will be fine.

Edited by methodwriter85